Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There Buys User Created Content For 1.5 Million Tbucks

If your not farmilar with the Virtual World There don't worry. I'll fill ya in on what it is, There is a world built by its members. Over 90% of the content in There is created by the members of There. The company which owns There has just bought ThereOrleans from a member for 1.5 Million Tbucks.

Thats around 950 US Dollors. ThereOrleans was inspired by New Orleans, so this member set out to create a great city. This member gathered donations from sevral in world companies and organizations. He also put his money together with what he had gathered and created ThereOrleans.

After ThereOrleans being owned by himself and sevral other members the cost to keep it out grew too high. He had to take town ThereOrleans untill the company would bring new life to the first member created city. Three months later There bought ThereOrleans for 1.5 Million Tbucks.

That event took place just yesterday. ThereOrleans is yet to be finished, and all new parts created will be added over time. It is also expected space in the two main buildings on the left and right will be rented out for people needing shops and apartments.

The community of There is very exited about the come back of ThereOrleans. This is one of the most planned out and biggest projects ever to hit There. But designings will be rushing to create something better in the hopes the company will buy their next best thing.

Picture Of ThereOrleans

There

The only limitation in There is your own imagination!

Comments

• Joel1120Joel1120 Member Posts: 624

*Bump*

I'm sorry but this is a big step in MMORPGs. Its the first time in any MMORPG that the company bought member made content. If that does not matter then I don't know what does.

There

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

Very intersting...

Is the game sort of like second life ?

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

Yes, very similar to Second Life indeed. There however, is more focused on meeting people and having fun. As well, like Second Life many members design clothes and items to put in-world. Also many trade in their Tbucks for real world currency. Many people use There to make a living, its fun and it feeds you.

There

*Bump*

Its so sad I have to bump my topic. So sad indeed...

There

• Takai001Takai001 Member Posts: 248

Originally posted by Joel1120
    *Bump*Its so sad I have to bump my topic. So sad indeed...
    You're just impatient

Mustache is a cat
    That has to go to the vet
    Do your taxes now

Well i'd think someone would care. But no, user created content in games is crazy! Talking to people in games is crazy! Any thing that does not have to do with killing is crazy!

There

• mmattommatto Member Posts: 135

They bought user made content with ingame currency? Hehe, anyone want to develop a mmo, i pay well? :)

• YoshitoshiYoshitoshi Member Posts: 3

Yes they bought my user mad content. You are a bit off on the total price paid. The total cost of the project was 1.5 million There Bucks. Many of the users made donations to cover these cost. My out of pocket expense was 390 thousand There Bucks and this was the amount that I asked for and was given.

I consider it a great honor to be the first of There to have things I have created made a permanent landmark in the world. Not only did they make it permanent, but they places it in one of the most wonderfull locations of the world.

This would not have been possible without the support of the many members of There. They donated money to pay fees and rent, and then further chased after There till my creation was made permanent.
    Thank you all.

Yoshitoshi
    Alan Carter

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Well i'd think someone would care. But no, user created content in games is crazy! Talking to people in games is crazy! Any thing that does not have to do with killing is crazy!

You need to settle down just a bit. You start spazzing out in every thread you are in it seems.
  • DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

*Bump*
    I'm sorry but this is a big step in MMORPGs. Its the first time in any MMORPG that the company bought member made content. If that does not matter then I don't know what does.

I just can not understand how There can be any fun. I tried it many times and found it to be the most boring "game" I have ever played. It's not really a game at all, but an interactive chat room. It may cater to a small amount of people, but this is by no means a big step. I would actually consider it an insult the little amount of money they actually paid.

Originally posted by Yoshitoshi
    Yes they bought my user mad content. You are a bit off on the total price paid. The total cost of the project was 1.5 million There Bucks. Many of the users made donations to cover these cost. My out of pocket expense was 390 thousand There Bucks and this was the amount that I asked for and was given.I consider it a great honor to be the first of There to have things I have created made a permanent landmark in the world. Not only did they make it permanent, but they places it in one of the most wonderfull locations of the world.This would not have been possible without the support of the many members of There. They donated money to pay fees and rent, and then further chased after There till my creation was made permanent.
    Thank you all.Yoshitoshi
    Alan Carter

Sorry there, I thought thats what you said when we talked. But I totally agree none of this would be possible with out the support of the community. Its so very intrsting to think these worlds will change the face of interaction and There is leading the way.

I am sure ThereOrleans will be used for many community events and your work won't be for nothing. When your in the city it seems so big and you can tell it took alot of work. Pictures just don't do justice to this great creation. I'm very glad There did this.

There

*Bump*

I don't understand why no one cares. This is big news in the world of MMORPGs.

There

*Bump*

Not gonna let this thread die...

There

• FaintFaint Member Posts: 82

Stop spamming dumbass. It's news but do you see other people bumping there topic more then once? No. Your not special, I don't care what your mom says.

---------------------------

A Paid to Search that pays!

AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.2Ghz
    512MB of Ram
    NVIDIA GeForce4 MX Integrated GPU 64mb
    Realtek AC'97 Audio
    WinXP Home

Games playing : None. Please PM if you know any good games.

• shaeshae Member Posts: 2,509

I was under the impression that just about anything in There that may be slightly interesting has to be bought, I'm sorry but whats crazy is a game that charges me real life money every time I want to change my hair color or what kind of shirt I'm wearing.

And I'm sorry but purchasing user created content isn't fantastic, it's lazzy, if the developers wanted to improve There they would actually put the time and money in and do it themselves. It might be a hella ignorant way for me to think, and don't get me wrong any time member can add to a virtual is great, but it certainly should not be primary resource for game content.

If I'm way off here let me know, the only thing I know about There is what I've read from there own webpage and it's not all together clear in the first place.

No you don't pay real money for every thing in There. You pay Tbucks which are our in world currency for every thing in There. You pay the 4.95 for one year of membership, and then you have a choice to buy Tbucks.

Buying direct from the company cost just a bit more so most buy from Tbux.com. Also the developers are not lazy. There is meant to be built by its members. There gave us some stuff to work with and we do the rest. They pump out updates all the time, bug fixes and such.

There is leading the way into the future and its some what compelling. I mean we are creating a world which will change what interaction means forever. There is 90% user created and we're proud of what we do. We work hard to bring new members into There and we work hard to build There.

ThereOrleans just shows how strong the community of There is, because without the community he would not have raised the money to create ThereOrleans. Simple as that. I suggest you see There for yourself, because screen shots don't do it justice.

There

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Obsessively bumping a thread may be considered spamming. Please, only bump during peak hours.

- Thanks

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

There is leading the way into the future and its some what compelling. I mean we are creating a world which will change what interaction means forever. There is 90% user created and we're proud of what we do. We work hard to bring new members into There and we work hard to build There.

First off, yes, you do have to put real money into it. When you create a new account you get a whopping 10,000 There Bucks in which you can't even buy a new shirt. And creating a world that changes interaction? I don't intend to sound rude, but go outside and get a life. I play mmorpgs as entertainment for a few hours a night, not to escape into some "alternate reality" where I think I matter more than in the real world.

No wonder people just keep getting fatter and unhealthier. They don't care about how they are in the real world, only there status in a virtual world.

There is not leading the future, I honestly don't see how you can think that. I agree with the poster who stated that they "bought" it because the devs are to damned lazy to do it themselves. Why pay programmers to do the work when you can get free labor and have users do it out of "there" own pockets.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Oh wonderful...it is the guy who thinks There is better than real life again...I thought he was banned for flaming the SL boards?

"My virtual life game's daddy can beat your virtual life's daddy!"

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• sykogamer414sykogamer414 Member Posts: 3

Wow...that is really cool! Congrats on getting your creation bought and put in the game!

• DesalusDesalus Member UncommonPosts: 848

Well, doesn't look like Joel1120 was banned last time, but I sure hope he is banned this time. His tantrums and contant bumping are getting pretty damn annoying.

---------------------------------------------
    Killer 86%, Socializer 53%, Explorer 33%, Achiever 26%

• Iceman12321Iceman12321 Member Posts: 992

oh be quiet everyone...

Just give the guy some credit and simply move on.

Nice post mate...cant quite imagine somone paying actual money for a virtual world, but if thats your cup of tea, go for it...I guess.

nice screenshot too

Ok first off it was not my creation. The creator posted in this thread on the first page I believe. Second Life members act the same way too. Both these worlds are changing the way people think about the internet. This is truely the future and I don't know why you don't want to be a part of that.

I've been a member of There for a year now and some have been members for 2 years even. There is a world built and created by its members. We are the developers in reality. We were given a canvas and we make There how we see fit.

I have a life and I have a job. I play There in my spare time and to me it is fun. To me, building a world and being a part of that is so exciting. I'm very passionate about There and always will be. My every day actions will effect weather There is open the next day or not.

If someone does not like how There is being built they will leave and the company will loose money. Its so amazing they would give us such power. I am very excited about signing onto There every day because I know i'll see something and go wow.

There and Second Life together are changing how we will think about the internet and human interaction. To me its very rewarding and I don't know if people don't see it my way or what. But once you really create something good and earn money it just brings you great joy.

There

• killerTwinkiekillerTwinkie Member CommonPosts: 1,694

Okay, I can understand that some of the posters here had a natural reaction to all the "bumping" going on. Please, in the future be a little more civil towards the members.

We do have staff working behind the scene to correct some of these issues, but, if there is a problem and need us to step in, please do not feel scared to e-mail us with information or use the "report post" feature.

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

Please e-mail staff before going to Admin or Meddle, chances are we will be able to handle the problem accurately as Admin and Meddle are both busy.

-- Thread shut down due to future problems.

KillerTwinkie - That one guy who used to mod mmorpg.com's forums.

This discussion has been closed.