Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The largest sandbox is not EvE, and has 1M+ players.

13»

Comments

• BhazirBhazir Member Posts: 321

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Runescape is perhaps one of the most underrated games in the MMO community and it is a sandbox, the amount of freedom you have is amazing. I don't believe I did a quest in that game until 3 months in because it unlocked a armor piece I wanted and the quests in Runescape are all story based with very little killing required, its all puzzles and badass bosses. You are indeed dropped into the world and after the tutorial free to do whatever the hell you want.

But does the player have any influence in the story or gameworld? I could play WoW as well without doing any quests and just grind. The quests are also story related, but I'm free to ignore the story as well. However this doesn't make WoW a sandbox as a player I don't have any impact on the story or I'm not able to have an impact on the gameworld either.

If above is the same, then Runescape isn't a sandbox at all, even if it gives you more meaningfull choices then to follow quests and the storyline.

"If all magic fails, rely on three feet of steel and a strong arm"

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

For me, Eve is boring, and I never played runescape... As far as which one is a sandbox, I really don't care but I guess maybe they both are?

Isn't eve open space of nothingness?

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Nobody can change a sandbox into a themepark or vice versa. You would have to reprogram the whole game.

Sandbox or themepark - this does nothing have to do with the question of skillbased, levelbased, or classbased. While sandbox is usually skillbased, this is nothing but a tradition. Themeparks can be skillbased, levelbased or classbased, there is nothing to stop them about that.

The "if somebody tells you what to do, its no longer a sandbox" definition is useless. Themeparks dont necessarily force quests upon you either.

Sandbox is if the player can change the game itself. Themeparks are static, or predefined.

There is never a perfect sandbox simply because that would require much too much coding. So there are always limits to what you can do.

• ConsequenceConsequence Member UncommonPosts: 358

Originally posted by Adamantine

Nobody can change a sandbox into a themepark or vice versa. You would have to reprogram the whole game.

Sandbox or themepark - this does nothing have to do with the question of skillbased, levelbased, or classbased. While sandbox is usually skillbased, this is nothing but a tradition. Themeparks can be skillbased, levelbased or classbased, there is nothing to stop them about that.

The "if somebody tells you what to do, its no longer a sandbox" definition is useless. Themeparks dont necessarily force quests upon you either.

Sandbox is if the player can change the game itself. Themeparks are static, or predefined.

There is never a perfect sandbox simply because that would require much too much coding. So there are always limits to what you can do.

but the limmitations of a sandbox are , by definiton, far less than that of a themepark where you have no impact on the game world. 

If enough themepark elements are introduced to a sandbox world, it does muttle things up a bit and confuse the definition.

Most posters here like to think there is 1 definiton for sandbox and themepark. The fact is there are varying degrees of both so trying to define them by "elements" is pointless.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by jarby

I think Eve is not a sandbox at all.  especially after  2 last patches.  lots of limitations make this game turning into space kind of wow clone.

I don't see how incursions and captains quarters turned the game into wow. Man some people are quick to call the skies falling. I'm with the other guy in laughing :)

I don't think people say EVE is the biggest, they say it's the best, which Runescape does not contest.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by sungodra

For me, Eve is boring, and I never played runescape... As far as which one is a sandbox, I really don't care but I guess maybe they both are?

Yup people just fly off into random directions in hopes of finding someone else. We then activate spreadsheet mode to fight each other in an XML combat window that pops up. Afterwards, we're griefed over and over again by pirates because they have higher skills and we will never catch... and <input mindless assumption here>.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Originally posted by Metentso

Originally posted by Bladestrom

Originally posted by Metentso

Eve has a few 100% sandbox features. Does that make it a sandbox MMO? that's up to anyones opinions. For me it's not a sandbox game.

As i said, being a sandbox has nothing to do with features.  It is about community and economy.  Both are Eves biggest strengths.  Pointing to a community and saying 'thats not a community' does not make it so :)

Darkfall players says sandbox is full PVP and full loot. Eve players say sandbox is community, economy, politics.

They are like the blind people touching parts of an elephant. Yes those are sandbox features, or caracteristics if you prefer, but a whole sandbox is much more. I won't go into what a sandobx is because that's a very open concept and will lead to endless discussions.

Someone finally gets it.

A game having quests doesnt automatically make it a " themepark " game.

A game having Open PvP and Full Loot doesnt automatically make it a " Sandbox " game.

A game having base classes doesnt automatically make the game a " Themepark " game.

A game having a classless system doesnt automatically make the game a " Sandbox " game.

Ect. Ect. Ect.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I don't know about runescape, but as far as i'm concerned EVE is and always will be a game with endless possibilities....

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

I hate people that troll this game when they have nto played it alot or gotten deep into the game most poeple just go off by how the graphics use to look years ago now the graphgics on max settings can keep up with wow easy

plus most poeple here have not even gotten to a high level on the game so there for can not judge

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• ArebuxumArebuxum Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by Zeroxin

*Ahem*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGplrpWvz0I

*Achoo*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08hmqyejCYU&feature=relmfu

Thank you for sharing these videos.

I've always heard about EVE but never gotten the motivation to play it.  The videos are beautiful and seem to describe this game perfectly.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by sungodra

you hit it right on the head

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

Originally posted by syrusmag3

now the graphgics on max settings can keep up with wow easy

not setting the bar very high. just sayin

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.