Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: What will the monthlee fee be for SWTOR?

lunatislunatis Member UncommonPosts: 261

Give me your ideas!

I think it will be 20$ on 12 months or 25$ monthlee.

Comments

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

While they can get away with charging $150 for a collector's edition that edition is not required and is also a one time fee. Charging more than $15 a month for regular access would be suicide, even for a game like SWTOR. Bioware isn't that stupid... EA, however is that stupid. We lets sit back and see what happens.   /popcorn

Edit: I could, however, see them trying to charge $20-25 a month for some kind of premium service. What would be included in that service I have no idea.  I don't see people paying an extra $5 a month for access to Warhammer and UO and I don't know what else they could offer as a premium.

All die, so die well.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

More than $15 a month would be reallee stupid.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

It's be $15 a month the same as the rest of them out there. All these conversations and polls have been had when any other big title has released and it always turns out the same.

If anyone is going to set the bar by raising the sub fee it'll be a titan like activision/blizzard and not EA/Bioware, this is Bioware's first MMO and there'll be enough nerves within the camp already never mind adding to it. This game is either going to make Bioware a lot of money or ruin their reputation, there is a lot riding on it.

I agree with Kabaal, EA doesn't have enough income coming in from War and UO to justify taking a chance. Given how much they spent in production, this game has to land solidly or they are probably out of the MMO gig for good. I do expect them to have a website selling services (makeovers, server transfer, etc) and vanity pets on day one however.

All die, so die well.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

While this game represents a large investment, I don't think the income from WAR or UO or any other online service is a huge concern for EA.

After all, they have a lot of big franchises to help hold them up (Madden, Battlefield, now PopCap, retail distribution for Valve, all the other Bioware titles, etc), and almost all of them have microtransactions in some form or fashion, which generate a ton of revenue.

I do think a "failure" (and how to exactly define that I have no idea) would tarnish Bioware greatly, as they seem to have a golden boy reputation among their fans, but I don't think it would be a huge impact for EA.

Obviously EA is counting on the monthly revenue from SWTOR, but I think the monthly fee will be a low to keep the barrier to entry low (probably in line with $15, possibly lower), and then microtransactions will be the real money grabber. I wouldn't be surprised to see small content releases be sold on the microtransaction marketplace ($5 for this raid instance, $3 to access these two new player dungeons, $2 to get your "pilot's license", etc). I'm expecting a poor bastard mixture of Blizzard's WoW Marketplace (with regard to vanity items), LOTRO's F2P model (with regard to boosters and additional content), and the monthly subscription fee on top of that.

The MMO landscape is rapidly gravitating towards lower (and non-existant) subscription fees, and making up the revenue based on microtransactions. EA is ~huge~ on microtransactions, so that's definitely the direction I expect SWTOR to head.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    It's over 15$.

Sic Luceat Lux

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

I picked what i would be willing to pay if they never added a cash shop.

Though all the smart money is on the industry standard.

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I think that now that BioWare has a good indicator of people's desperation and willingness to buy a completely overpriced product, they're in good position to come out with an industry-high monthly fee.  I'm going to guess $19.99/mo. 

I didn't answer the poll as I refuse to dignify the word "mothlee" with my vote.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Well, from what I know, this is a very hypothetical question. A sizeable proportion of buyers won't even get beyond the included free month before cancelling. I don't think they need to worry too much about subcription levels.There won't be that many.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

This thread is dumb, and really personifies the amount of baseless hate that this game seems to get.  Suggesting BioWare is going ot charge over over 20 dollars a month for a monthly fee?  really now...

• SyrusSyiSyrusSyi Member Posts: 366

I think if the game went to 12 dollers a month or even 10 it would keep a huge palyer base 

Playing: Single player games |

Awaiting: Wild Star |Blade & Soul | The Repopulation | The Elder Scrolls online | ArcheAge | Firefall | Survarium | Bless | Black Desert |

Played: Guild Wars | Diablo 3 |The War Z | Runescape |World of Warcraft |Combat Arms |Perfect World | Rift | Fiesta | DC universe online | Aion | Age of Conan |Allods | Vindictus | The Secret World | Forge | Battle of the Immortals | Global Agenda| Cabal Online | Tera |

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Everyone who thinks that BW will charge more than the regular fee should have their head examined and sense of reality checked, although on the other hand such delusional, unrealistic thinking is sort of common around these forums among SWTOR/BW critics image

None of the MMO companies has done it thus far, so even with EA, why would BW? Especially when the trend is to pay less sub fee than more sub fee? This poll would be a lot more fun when people would actually put money on the line, say 200 dolar per bet, I would totally go for that, would be fun with the extreme speculations some are making image

edit: ah wait, I'm going to bookmark this thread, will be fun to get back on this when the game has been released and confront people with their own quotes image

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

Originally posted by Ridelynn

While this game represents a large investment, I don't think the income from WAR or UO or any other online service is a huge concern for EA.

After all, they have a lot of big franchises to help hold them up (Madden, Battlefield, now PopCap, retail distribution for Valve, all the other Bioware titles, etc), and almost all of them have microtransactions in some form or fashion, which generate a ton of revenue.

I didn't say that EA as a whole had anything to worry about but congomerates like this do usually consider RoI on a division at a time basis. This game does represent the bulk of the "hopes and dreams" of Bioware Mythic. If SWTOR sank, which it won't but if it did it wouldn't be unusual for a company like EA to cut the whole division loose to contain the loss. It wouldn't mean much to EA other than having to post some disappointing quarters. It would be very bad for Bioware Mythic however.

SWTOR isn't going to sink though. It might not change the world but it wont sink either. They are going to be fine because they are not taking a lot of chances. They are 95% working the formula and part of the formula is the price. I don't see them upsetting that apple cart until they know they can. I expect them to go at $15 a month and to introduce a premium price for something or another within a year.

All die, so die well.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

In addition to the 'regular' $14.99 sub fee, Bioware could quite easily offer a $19.99/month 'Premium' package (full voice acting doesn't come cheap) and people would be lining up to throw cash at them.  Especially if the Premmies get their own servers away from the $14.99 riff-raff.

Originally posted by Robokapp

if they're smart they will not charge the full $15.

$15 is for tried and proven succesful mmo's not nw releases with uncertain future.

look at FFXIV. it had to go to zero fee to hang in there.

Sigh.

Ok, attempt 2 at logic.

Arguments:

1. have you ever heard of an AAA MMO where they started with a sub, then raised it a few dollars?

2. No MMO is tried and proven successful at launch, that doesn't prevent companies from asking for a 15 dollar subs.

3. Look at WoW, Rift, LotrO, AoC, EQ2, and a bunch of other MMO's, they all started with a sub too. Definitely better example than the flawed FFXIV you gave, an example which didn't actually make you look credible or sensible.

In short: all MMO companies opened with a certain sub fee at their launch, this was usually around 15 dollars no matter if their future was uncertain or not.

Your argument, of launching with a smaller than standard sub fee, like 14 or 13 dollars, has some merit. Your explanations for it however are simply ludicrous.

Originally posted by Shoju

In addition to the 'regular' $14.99 sub fee, Bioware could quite easily offer a $19.99/month 'Premium' package (full voice acting doesn't come cheap) and people would be lining up to throw cash at them.  Especially if the Premmies get their own servers away from the $14.99 riff-raff.

If I recall correctly, that's something that Blizzard is attempting to do with WoW, with introducing certain features with an additional fee to them. It might work, but it all depends on what's being offered for those additional services.

However, the talk was about base fee.

Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Lunny08Lunny08 Member Posts: 120

They have preorders up and havn't let people know how much money is required each month to play? Crazy.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

i just clicked this thread to vote free cuz theres no way in hell id p2p another theampark mmo ...ever

oh and as for 20$ monthly made me lol then 35 -40$ made me rotfl paying a 100$+ a year for these "theampark" type mmo's are joke ..and no im not a gw2 fan boie or f2p fan boie ..i just like to value the mmo im playing ..its either the companys destroying a good product or just a everyday run of the mill copy paste job just to make a quick buck

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

1. have you ever heard of an AAA MMO where they started with a sub, then raised it a few dollars?

SOE did it with all their games just recenlty if I remember correctly.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by thekid1

The opposite.  SoE made their games cheaper, not more expensive.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Originally posted by just1opinion

The opposite.  SoE made their games cheaper, not more expensive.

Then why did they raise the Station pass monthly fee.

Then why did they raise the Station pass monthly fee.

I have no idea what the station pass is about, but when doing a search I found this:

SOE dropping the price for Station Access

Sounds to me like they're dropping it. However, it's kind of besides the point, the Station Pass sounds like a service package where you get access to a number of services and games, it isn't the base fee of a single MMO, which is what we're talking about.

/logic attempt nr 3

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117

^ your logic is flawed.

nothing is stopping bioware from charging $20 a month (ridiculous none the less).

if you know anything about economics and the market you would understand that charging $20 is not actually such a big danger to the game. yes they will loose (lets say) 20% of the possible player base, but they wil make up for that with the extra charge. let us remember that we are talking about one of the most famous IP's out there.

also, logically, if bioware decides that their product is worth $20. many people will see this and believe it as well. just how we sometimes pay exagerated amounts for things, when in reality they are not better than the cheaper versions (think of sun glases, or clothe).

personally i do not believe they will go for anything above $15, it seems to be an industry standard,

• mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

Bioware isn't stupid.

It will be 15$ a month just like every other mmorpg.

However, not saying it will happen, but i can totally imagine 5$ dlc for extra raids and dungeons that don't have the best gear, they could be optional raids made only for the story.

But if EA / Bioware want this game to be a huge success, they won't do it.

• ReesRacerReesRacer Member UncommonPosts: 179

it's gonna be 15/month...maybe a bit less like rift is you subscribe to multiple

months...let this thread die...that pricing poilcy is not going to change anytime soon for this game.

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226
    Tree Fitty a month

Kyle: What's tree-fitty?
    Chef's Father: Tree dollars, and fitty cents.
    Chef's Mother: Tree-fitty.
    Stan: He wanted money?
    Chef's Father: That's right. I said, "I ain't givin' you no tree-fitty, you goddamn Loch Ness Monster! Get your own goddamn money!"
    Chef's Mother: I gave him a dollar.
    Chef's Father: She gave him a dollar.
    Chef's Mother: I thought he'd go away if I have him a dollar.
    Chef's Father: Well, of course he's not gonna go away, Mary! You give him a dollar, he's gonna assume you got more!