Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People crack me up...

I've read many of the comments on the hype meter, and I must honestly say, that people in general, are just plain stupid. People calling it Star WoWs (Really, making up names to compare it to wow?) and a WoW clone, etc....people please, get off WoWs nuts. WoW was most definatelly not the first game to have MOST of the features that are currently in it. This game brings many innovative features that people say it does not bring also. Epic story lines, extreme companion system, etc.

People complain about the graphics, comparing it to the graphics of Dead Space 2 and Battlefield 3, but if people had half a brain, they would realize that in a mmo, you can not have graphics of that quality, or EVERYONE would have to have a top end system to play it with any sense of satisfaction.

Bottom line, people really need to stop PREDICTING what the game is, considering the fact that, I am willing to bet, NONE of the ones predicting how it is or what it will be, have even played the game. Seriously...get a life. Stop trying to ruin peoples hype to suit your own opinion.

Comments

• KontraKontra Member Posts: 132

Well summed up.

• Omega431Omega431 Member UncommonPosts: 92

Well i have played it, but yet i have no issue with the graphics, i think they are fine.  I do however have a problem with the combat, its so bland and boring, it is the exact same as WoWs, just slower.  Other than that i think it would be a good game, but to me, my opinion, Combat is a big part of most mmos.  If combat fails, so does the game.

• If people had half a brain they would have seen one of the hundreds of gameplay videos and realized that this game is going to be garbage.

You can judge a book by its cover especially if the cover is a video explaining why the book is bad.

btw Swtor would be a successful game if it was a disgustingly obvious WoW clone as oppose to trying to be a "ground breaking" overhyped mmo with new and exciting voice over quests and stiff non-wow gameplay.

-Source: I've played it.

• Distopia2Distopia2 Member Posts: 574

Originally posted by butter1011

If people had half a brain they would have seen one of the hundreds of gameplay videos and realized that this game is going to be garbage.

You can judge a book by its cover especially if the cover is a video explaining why the book is bad.

btw Swtor would be a successful game if it was a disgustingly obvious WoW clone as oppose to trying to be a "ground breaking" overhyped mmo with new and exciting voice over quests and stiff non-wow gameplay.

-Source: I've played it.

So you're saying because you didn't like it, everyone else shouldn't as well?

To SB fans, please stop making our demographic look bad.Stop invading threads that have nothing to do with sandboxes.

SW:TOR Graphics Evolution and Comparison

SW:TOR Compare MMO Quests, Combat and More...

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

I've found that when people generally call something a WoW clone, nowadays, they're talking about the main method of gameplay. Level by questing, unlock raids along the way, with end-game being raiding for gear. 

Of course it doesn't help that a business analyst from Cowen and Company called The Old Republic "WoW in space"

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111020-Analyst-Calls-The-Old-Republic-a-WoW-Clone

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Originally posted by butter1011

If people had half a brain they would have seen one of the hundreds of gameplay videos and realized that this game is going to be garbage.

Well, I have a full brain, havn't played it, and I don't give a rats ass how similar it may play to WoW.  I love what I see, I love the lore of the Star Wars universe and while I have the patience to wait a little longer until it launches, I'm very eager to romp around the galaxy!

• SetsunSetsun Member UncommonPosts: 286

"Combat is bland and boring" 

What were you expecting? i mean...It's just another mmo.

If you want a game with some type of combate revolution try those action rpgs,  they seem quite popular these days.

For me, SWTOR is good and fine, not perfect but what is...

• Macen222Macen222 Member Posts: 2

From all the gameplay and hands on videos I've seen, combat is the most dissapointing part about the game so far.  While I won't call it a WoW clone, it does have a lot of simularities. The fully voiced quests and everything is nice, however it's not enough to cover the bland combat animations.

thats my main problem with the game thus far.

• MaakuMaaku Member Posts: 90

I have a strong feeling that the game will fare pretty well even though many are being negative about it. I does support many MMO basics so saying it's a clone is redundant at best, they are all clones for christ sakes, their MMOs. *mumbles* bunch of idiots...

But, the icing on the cake is what will make or break the game. Voice acted, ship/housing, space mini game, companion customization and more. Oh, everything I just mentionned, WoW doesn't have that btw... Ah!

• NeVeRLiFtNeVeRLiFt Member UncommonPosts: 380

Originally posted by materva26

I've read many of the comments on the hype meter, and I must honestly say, that people in general, are just plain stupid. People calling it Star WoWs (Really, making up names to compare it to wow?) and a WoW clone, etc....people please, get off WoWs nuts. WoW was most definatelly not the first game to have MOST of the features that are currently in it. This game brings many innovative features that people say it does not bring also. Epic story lines, extreme companion system, etc.

People complain about the graphics, comparing it to the graphics of Dead Space 2 and Battlefield 3, but if people had half a brain, they would realize that in a mmo, you can not have graphics of that quality, or EVERYONE would have to have a top end system to play it with any sense of satisfaction.

Bottom line, people really need to stop PREDICTING what the game is, considering the fact that, I am willing to bet, NONE of the ones predicting how it is or what it will be, have even played the game. Seriously...get a life. Stop trying to ruin peoples hype to suit your own opinion.

Everyone with the same companion wearing the same gear ..... standing around looking like clones really sounds fun!

And trust me once you read the book that ToR has to offer a couple times, you got to make up your mind if you want to get on that treadmill and chase the carrot for better gear as your only end-game.

And the crafting system they have implemented is fail and just subpar... but for a game that caters to younger crowd and themepark carrot chasers I guess it looks perfectly fine.

Played: MCO - EQ/EQ2 - WoW - VG - WAR - AoC - LoTRO - DDO - GW/GW2 - Eve - Rift - FE - TSW - TSO - WS - ESO - AA - BD
    Playing: Sims 3 & 4, Diablo3 and PoE
    Waiting on: Lost Ark
    Who's going to make a Cyberpunk MMO?

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Well friggin' said, OP. image

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

I saw these posted from another discussion thread yesterday, watched them all and they're pretty dern nice.  They go over most the things SW:TOR does in comparison to WoW and other MMOs.  If after watching these you truly think that SW:TOR is 1:1 WoW clone, then you're just a troll bent on hatered of all MMOs everyone else loves that you do not!

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by NeVeRLiFt

Everyone with the same companion wearing the same gear ..... standing around looking like clones really sounds fun!

And trust me once you read the book that ToR has to offer a couple times, you got to make up your mind if you want to get on that treadmill and chase the carrot for better gear as your only end-game.

And the crafting system they have implemented is fail and just subpar... but for a game that caters to younger crowd and themepark carrot chasers I guess it looks perfectly fine.

Iirc as good as everything is customisable when it comes down to the Companions, so I kinda doubt that every Companion will look the same, do your homework better next time image

For the rest, about the crafting and such, it's just lies and drivel, really, that kind of themepark hater's extremist fanaticism should be forbidden, imo image

@OP: nicely put

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

First off how do you know the story lines are "epic"?  All Ive seen are extremely dull dialogue cut scenes where the characters discuss even big events as though they were discussing how to change out a car tire.  EXTREME companion system.  Whats EXTREME about it?  Do the companions spray themselves with axe body spray, and drink mountain dew while snowboarding off random peoples roofs? 

Actually graphics can look amazing in an mmo.  Check out the original Guild Wars.  Or especially the sequel.  Having graphics that are on par with mmos that came out almost a decade ago dont cut it.   There are tons of mmos that released or are being released that have far superior graphics.

Yet you have no problem calling everyone that doesnt agree with you an "idiot" or "stupid".   Its always the fanboys that seem to be sipping on all the haterade.  This is a forum.  People can say what they want and express their opinions (within reason).  If you cant handle it then "get a life" as you say. 

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Originally posted by lthompson94

People who use the phrase "WoW clone" in general really shouldn't be taken seriously.  One has to seriously question their intelligence.  Major forum-addict, bandwagon types.

There are a few elements in the combat that are new, but I'm under NDA.  Unlike many people, when I sign an agreement I honor it.

It's not WoW in space.  Think more KOTOR as an MMO.

{mod edit} You do realize that people who are actually paid to make games for a living, or critique them, use the term "WoW clone" as a point of reference? It's used to relate one experience to another, and as most people understand or know what WoW is, it's a great way to let someone know if a product is similar, the exact same, or even close to the same. 

{mod edit} 

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

Originally posted by Elidien

Actually, to me, I do not understand why people who hate a game believe they should spend more time ina  forum than people that like the game? I just winder what it is in the psyche of the people who hate a game who want to comment on and ruin the forum reading experiences of those that like the game.

I mean its a SW:TOR forum - am I the only one shocked that there are posters in here who LIKE the game?!?? Oh, the shock at such a crazy concept.

The same can be said about any games forum no?  It's not like we don't see the same people hating on GW2 in it's forums... I mean.... that would be crazy....

I don't care for the direction SWTOR is going but I will probably end up playing it so I pop in every now and then to see what's up. I have a different opinion, I just choose to read on the info rather than QQ about my discontent with the game. However, the topic on this one made me curiouse so I came to read what made the OP crack up. I see he just wanted to rant because others don't like his game and the best way to describe it is to compare it to one of the most popular and hated MMO's out there. I am bored of games that play like WoW so when a game has major mechanics and functions that are similar to it I just turn off. It's that simple. Crazy concept I know.... difference of opinion in a forum... but in all fairnes the op's title drew me in.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Originally posted by Omega431

Well i have played it, but yet i have no issue with the graphics, i think they are fine.  I do however have a problem with the combat, its so bland and boring, it is the exact same as WoWs, just slower.  Other than that i think it would be a good game, but to me, my opinion, Combat is a big part of most mmos.  If combat fails, so does the game.

I find that hard to believe.

And if it's true then this type of gameplay is not for you. Some people enjoy this type of gameplay as you can tell by the amount of WoW subs and all the Pre-Orders for SWTOR.

I myself am a fan of Point and Click games. Obviously i would prefer if SWTOR was a TPS game but it's not and i don't mind that.

You need to remember that WoW did not invent Point and Click gameplay and most important thing to remember is that everyone has different taste in games, just because you think it's boring doesn't mean everyone else does.

Your opinion is not fact.

• Omega431Omega431 Member UncommonPosts: 92

Originally posted by Chimps

And if it's true then this type of gameplay is not for you. Some people enjoy this type of gameplay as you can tell by the amount of WoW subs and all the Pre-Orders for SWTOR.

I myself am a fan of Point and Click games. Obviously i would prefer if SWTOR was a TPS game but it's not and i don't mind that.

You need to remember that WoW did not invent Point and Click gameplay and most important thing to remember is that everyone has different taste in games, just because you think it's boring doesn't mean everyone else does.

Hence the reason why i said, "my opinion", never said it was a fact. Just that is the one and only thing "I" dont like about it.  Im just tired of Point and clicks or "Tab Targeting". Been doing it for a very long time, kindof gets old after awhile. I dont even have an issue with the animations, its just a "pace" thing.  If the pace was just a bit faster, it would be alot better. IMO of course. Also, i never said WoW invented Point and click, they just brought it to a bigger crowd.

• lthompson94lthompson94 Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by Lawlmonster

Originally posted by lthompson94

People who use the phrase "WoW clone" in general really shouldn't be taken seriously.  One has to seriously question their intelligence.  Major forum-addict, bandwagon types.

There are a few elements in the combat that are new, but I'm under NDA.  Unlike many people, when I sign an agreement I honor it.

It's not WoW in space.  Think more KOTOR as an MMO.

God damn, you're one of those. You do realize that people who are actually paid to make games for a living, or critique them, use the term "WoW clone" as a point of reference? It's used to relate one experience to another, and as most people understand or know what WoW is, it's a great way to let someone know if a product is similar, the exact same, or even close to the same. If you find that negative, or unintelligent, I'm sorry for you.

Give me a fucking break.

Developers don't use the term WoW clone.  Cite an article or something, I could change my opinion, but I doubt it.  They will cite WoW as having similarity, but no developer in their right mind would say "We are basically making a WoW clone."  If ANYTHING they would refer to competition or other games in a derogatory term.  A reviewer might use it, generally as a reference to what forum users are saying.  And I wouldn't take their review seriously if they used it as a real descriptor and not as a point of comparison.

You're obviously passionate about using your term though, don't let me stop you.  Just know there are tons of people who will pretty much stop reading when they see that phrase.

Break given.

• Mister_ReMister_Re Member Posts: 142

@ OP well said

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

People are simply under estimating how powerful the Star Wars IP really is. If the game is done correctly by Bioware and EA does not pull their ussual shit it will be huge.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

People use the term WoW clone because when you say it everyone knows what you mean.

It is not used because WoW invented the Genre, it is used because WoW is the currentently the biggest game and is specifically a theme park type game.

It it usually used by people who like Sandbox style games (Or people who don't like WoW) in order to put down or attack a new sandbox game that is coming down the pike.

However those same people who love sandbox games (Or who don't like WoW) are also the people who complain the loudest at the use of the term "WoW Clone"

-go figure-

The term will go away when Wow is no longer the top game when it comes to Sandbox type MMO's. 

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Corehaven

<>EXTREME companion system.  Whats EXTREME about it?  Do the companions spray themselves with axe body spray, and drink mountain dew while snowboarding off random peoples roofs? 

<>

HAHA! ILU.

• RNitestalkerRNitestalker Member UncommonPosts: 26

At first i was excited about SWTOR and anxiously waiting for every bit of info on it and then i started seeing the gameplay videos and was shocked at what i saw .. The same boring MMO combat thats been in alot of MMOs .. The graphics being subpar and yes you can do great graphics without killing peoples PCs as it has been done before .. I know the game has alot of great features but if it looks like crap and its gonna play like crap well then to alot of people it will be crap and they arent gonna hype it well .. im not gonna compare it to WoW cause its not but a huge population of the MMO community have only played one game and its called WoW and alot fo them arent the most educated about other MMOs so they call other MMOs WoWclones ..

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Chimps

Hence the reason why i said, "my opinion", never said it was a fact. Just that is the one and only thing "I" dont like about it.  Im just tired of Point and clicks or "Tab Targeting". Been doing it for a very long time, kindof gets old after awhile. I dont even have an issue with the animations, its just a "pace" thing.  If the pace was just a bit faster, it would be alot better. IMO of course. Also, i never said WoW invented Point and click, they just brought it to a bigger crowd.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the speed of the combat, and I also don't find it to be "just like wow's" either.  Is that enough to invalidate your point?  IMO  of course,  it is.