Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Asian does Aion look sound and feel ?

2»

Comments

• Warlord33Warlord33 Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by shoziku

many parts of Aion are incredibly asian, like the character movements and player customization as well as many of the voiceovers and sound effects.  The NPC's have pretty good spoken english and quest dialogs but the concepts they convey are definitely asian and not western.  (honor, family, clan based thought)  

Let's get back to the movement.  Stances and movement are not natural to western culture, at all.  The men stand gay and make movements akin to a proud asshole shogun posing like a statue.  the female animations for just standing, blushing, looking around, running, talking, screaming... all asian influenced.  A running female does not flail arms and run with knees together in western culture.  Looks like an anime japanese schoolgirl

the music is very good and creates a great feeling for immersion.  The music does not seem to make any cultural statements other than it's own.

"Stances and movement are not natural to western culture, at all.  The men stand gay and make movements akin to a proud asshole shogun posing like a statue.  the female animations for just standing, blushing, looking around, running, talking, screaming... all asian influenced.  A running female does not flail arms and run with knees together in western culture.  Looks like an anime japanese schoolgirl"

As wrong as it may sound, this is probably one of the funniest things I have ever read on the forums. Kudos to you Shoziku!

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

Originally posted by just1opinion

I hope I'm not the ONLY person here who commented about the "eastern influenced" terminology nicely and without ADDING to what already felt racist to someone Asian that is ON the forums.  Looking back over the posts....oh gee....yes, I guess I am.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?  He/she just asked that we please be more thoughtful when using the word "Asian."  And what...that's too DIFFICULT for us collectively to DO?

Seriously. Can we not have enough maturity on these forums to be considerate when nicely asked?

Politically Correct was killed at least 5 years ago. No one told you?

So we can't call someone white? 

or say someone is fat? They are metabolically challenged.

And someone isn't stupid, they are intelectually challenged.

We cant even say "Asian"?  haha give me a break.

Besides, I didn't make the "visual" stereotypes, the culture did and Anime artists distilled it.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by caremuchless

I hope I'm not the ONLY person here who commented about the "eastern influenced" terminology nicely and without ADDING to what already felt racist to someone Asian that is ON the forums.  Looking back over the posts....oh gee....yes, I guess I am.

What the fuck is wrong with you people?  He/she just asked that we please be more thoughtful when using the word "Asian."  And what...that's too DIFFICULT for us collectively to DO?

Seriously. Can we not have enough maturity on these forums to be considerate when nicely asked?

Besides, I didn't make the "visual" stereotypes, the culture did and Anime artists distilled it.

So five years ago people started being assholes to people who asked for some common courtesy?  Did you bother to read the guy's post or did you just want to blow snot all over for the hell of it?

All I was saying is that being decent doesn't require that much. It's not like he was asking for much of anything, just some courtesy.  I don't personally see a problem with that.  If you do....then that's just your opinion.  I'm entitled to my own as well.

On topic:

I still don't care for games that have eastern influenced art styles. 

Wow now that was REALLY difficult for me to say it that way.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Originally posted by xKingdomx

Can we change the wording of Asian to Eastern Influence.....being asian myself I feel its a little bit racist.......

I know you guys aren't actually being discriminatory, but just honestly looking at the title, how asian does Aion look? Aion doesn't look asian at all.

One race is purple skinned, other is normal human colour, the combat is still hotkey, you can fly, leveling process take a little bit longer than WoW, thats about the difference you get in terms of gameplay. Story is nothing special, but what mmorpg is anyways (GO SWTOR and GW2 :P) The only thing that is different is the art style, which is eastern influenced fantasy.

Overzealous political correctness is part of what's wrong with the world today.

That aside, I don't really see any asian influence in the music, at least for the most part.  See for yourself here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqxrO9_TPVo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBNqP_WLTl0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtGx-JUNxoI&feature=related

Graphically, the game is somewhat asian with exagerated armor graphics, but it's most asian in its feel.  The game is a grind.  Additional quests have been added since launch, but they're largely all repeatable kill x of y dribble, and players can easily fall out of the quest level range and be forced to grind through the rest of a level or so in order to get back on track. 

• HaltsTimeHaltsTime Member UncommonPosts: 30

like a huge amount of mmos are produced with Asian influence... just check out the website's list.  Nothing wrong with the word Asian either...

Anyways, to me at least, Aion had the feel of L2 with upgrades from graphics to basic game mechanics like the ability to jump..  They even have the option of buying L2 armor skin. 

Music wise, its like most mmos with electronic style music during combat and cute songs with emotes.  They even have an ode to Michael Jackson emote. 

Game play and sound effects are with the typical grunts and moans like most mmos and or anime.  So I would say it does have abit of Asian influence~

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

I'm really sorry, didn't mean to start such a huge debacle of terminology, just saying there is a huge difference in saying something is 'Asian' as opposed to 'Asian Influence' or 'Eastern Influence', one is racial differentiation, the other is cultural differentiation. One says something is different because of its race, while the other is acknowledging the difference between cultural ideal. Just saying, and hope one day this doesn't come back to bite you in the ass, nothing wrong with being more articulate with your words.

As for OP, I don't think Aion is the best game to offer out there, but in terms of graphical power, it is probably the top there (for now), Art style is debatable, I enjoy both western and eastern style of the fantasy genre, but it isn't everyones cup of tea. As for combat, I generally don't see much of a difference, its still hot key tab combat, it has a 'chain skill' mechanic, but nothing too special to make it memorable. In my opinion, flying is overated, it might be nice as a travelling method, but I wouldn't say it is great to have it combine with the tab targetting combat. From what I know about crafting (which isn't much), there is a certain fail rate when you craft, so you simply grind more resources to craft weapons and such.

ps: when I say eastern influenced, I mean that is designed to look that way, games like perfect world hardly has any style, thus isn't what I include in my 'eastern influence'

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

It was a choice between Aion or Rift. I was gonna just pick and out right buy one without doing a trial. HOWEVER in another post I asked what game is better and got mixed reactions ( both have there pro's and con's ).

So I decided to do the Aion Trial, the trial took several hours to download so I would bet it's the full game just need to unlock it ( I would guess ). So far the trial is nice but only level 3 Mage.

More to come, and will give a review and ask some questions in starting a new topic if I decide to buy.

So thanks everyone

• SoulSurferSoulSurfer Member UncommonPosts: 1,024

Originally posted by HaltsTime

like a huge amount of mmos are produced with Asian influence... just check out the website's list.  Nothing wrong with the word Asian either...

Anyways, to me at least, Aion had the feel of L2 with upgrades from graphics to basic game mechanics like the ability to jump..  They even have the option of buying L2 armor skin. 

Music wise, its like most mmos with electronic style music during combat and cute songs with emotes.  They even have an ode to Michael Jackson emote. 

Game play and sound effects are with the typical grunts and moans like most mmos and or anime.  So I would say it does have abit of Asian influence~

Nice Ninja SIG!!!!1111///  =)

Optical Hat, Kirin's Osode, Kraken club, lol Haidate?

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

So five years ago people started being assholes to people who asked for some common courtesy?  Did you bother to read the guy's post or did you just want to blow snot all over for the hell of it?

All I was saying is that being decent doesn't require that much. It's not like he was asking for much of anything, just some courtesy.  I don't personally see a problem with that.  If you do....then that's just your opinion.  I'm entitled to my own as well.

Nothing racist was said.

Nothing. There were no slurs.  There was no talk of hate.

Someone just explained the way they saw the game in a raw straightforward manner.  

If I was in another country, and someone asked on a forums "How American does The Secret World Look?"--you wouldn't find me getting bent out of shape about it.

Great we are both entitled to our own opinions. We agree on something. I will choose to speak in a straightforward manner.  

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Nothing racist was said.

Nothing. There were no slurs.  There was no talk of hate.

Someone just explained the way they saw the game in a raw straightforward manner.  

If I was in another country, and someone asked on a forums "How American does The Secret World Look?"--you wouldn't find me getting bent out of shape about it.

Great we are both entitled to our own opinions. We agree on something. I will choose to speak in a straightforward manner.  

Just FYI, since you obviously didn't read all the applicable posts.....I wasn't the one offended.  Someone that IS Asian was offended.  All I was doing was trying to conform my speech to a manner that would make them more comfortable, since they said they were uncomfortable with the terminology.  I never thought anything was "racist" myself, but then I'm not Asian....like the person that was offended.  See my point?

Anyway....they have since responded in the thread again, so...water under the bridge.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I don't know what kind of racial weirdness is going on in here, but to answer your question:

Aion looks, sounds, and feels very Asian. If there was a scale, I'd give it an 8 or 9/10 for Asian feel.

• luro16luro16 Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Tyvolus1

Originally posted by been_there

aion feels like a wow clone, lots of content and stuff to do where as asian wow clones fail as that want money - more than it cost to play a subscription to say epic each month.

if you base your expeirence on asia , aion + wow has 50 differnt models that will cost u more. any asian game that looks and plays like wow is a copy, the west invented the world rest still following ....

my experience ,, im not a wow fan but i cant knock wow,  i dont like aion played the 2.5 patch to 45lvl , just not my kind of game quest info tho helpfull isnt and u spend more time on google trying to resolve the quest, atleast ad web browser like eve has to help players.

if u played lots of clones than this game feel asian , ,, like a fire cracker <--- true

peace

nice 3rd post.  u can go back to wow now...I hear they are down 300k subs of late...

enjoy.

Meaning wow has twice as many subscribers as Aion has in NA.

Aion is very asian, much like JRPGS on consoles, it is old fashioned, has nothing new to offer, feels archaic, few people want to play it, but it has a very small, sort of loud group of people who still like it that will tell you it's good.

It is also better than FF14, which feels even more asian.

• HaltsTimeHaltsTime Member UncommonPosts: 30

haha yeah from an old Linkshell mate that made our Sigs back in the day

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I'm the original poster for those that don't see the little yellow star in the upper left corner. When creating my original post I meant no disrespect.

I work for the US Army.  It just so happens that I spent most all of April of this year in South Korea.  Five days in Seoul and about fifteen in Uijeongbu.  As we arrived we had a mandatory briefing about Korean culture.  At no time did they say that we can not use the word " Asian ".  Infact the entire time I was there the term was used a lot by respectful Americans that love it in Korea.  I also liked it there.  Infact I was surprised how ultra modern there country is.  For such a large population Seoul  was cleaner than New York City, and the people were very friendly.  While there I've been called an " American ", not a " United States person ".  In Germany I've also been called American, I was also called English, I'm not English that's a different country far from America.  I took no offense to it.  It's just a term for the Continent I from, I was fine with it,  I think nothing of it.

Also, I've been doing Chinese Kung Fu in America for almost twenty years, and have met many Chinese masters. All have been given and received respect both ways by us here in America.  I have a Matrial Arts book in front of me now, by Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming.  He uses the word Asian several times in his book. So I'm not sure if the term is really racist.

With that I could safely say that I have first hand knowledge of a CULTURAL DIFFERENCE BETWEEN EAST AND WEST.  By far no one is better than the other just different. I've been playing Video games for 30 years. I could also safely say that Asian games play different than games made in America.  EVERYONE WOULD AGREE TO THAT I'M SURE.  Me....Well it's only my opinion but at times i don't like there style of game play, most times.

- I loved " Adventures of Link "

- I hated " Final Fantasy 11 "

- I hated " Eastern influenced " Free-to-play mmo's. But now I'm finding American F2P are just as bad.  So I was wrong in stereo typing, and for that I'm sorry.

- As of yesterday I've been playing the Aion Trial. I'm finding that it's a good, well built, deep mmo, with a lot of feature's.  I'm on the fence as if I'll continue because I'm looking for a group based PvE game.  It's a hard decision because I like Aion's style of play.

As for Xkingdomx :

I'm sure by now, you realize that no one suggested anything racist.  I don't think anyone even knew the term Asian was racist. Infact as i'm typing this I'm having a hard time NOT USING the term.

As far as some negative comments afterwords. I thing they are coming from the fact that Americans are feeling a little short tempered on political correctness of any culture. It's not the culture it self but the legal issues of it all.