Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jedi Consular Video

2»

Comments

• Originally posted by Storched

Originally posted by Kickphat

you guys gotta remember this class can tank too which is what I'm going to use it for

Huh? Consular tanking? Are you getting it mixed up with the knight?

earlier this year they told us the made one of the shadow AC and Assassin AC trees for tanking

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20110408

Jedi Consular Advanced Classes

Jedi Shadow (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)

Jedi Sage (Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)

• The Shadow Advanced Class now has a skill tree that allows them to fill the role of a tank effectively, using Lightsaber defense and Force powers.
  • StorchedStorched Member Posts: 42

Originally posted by gaou

Originally posted by Storched

Originally posted by Kickphat

you guys gotta remember this class can tank too which is what I'm going to use it for

Huh? Consular tanking? Are you getting it mixed up with the knight?

earlier this year they told us the made one of the shadow AC and Assassin AC tress for tanking

http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20110408

Jedi Consular Advanced Classes

Jedi Shadow (Roles: Close - Mid Range Damage Dealing, Tanking)

Jedi Sage (Roles: Mid-Long Range Damage Dealing, Healing)

• The Shadow Advanced Class now has a skill tree that allows them to fill the role of a tank effectively, using Lightsaber defense and Force powers.

Wow thanks for that info. I thought the Shadow was solely DPS with maybe a little CC mixed in. I'll be looking into the consular class now lol image

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Not bad, I prefer the non-Force Users (and admittedly raged when I heard there were going to be two force classes way back when the Consular/Inquisitor was just announced) but it's good to see them finally get around to this guy.

Though as I read the expanded update and see the Consular's compaion I can't help but wonder... what ever happened to the Scout class?  Kotor had it (I believe,) the Star Wars PnP RPGs had it... will we be seeing it some point after launch or am I just musing for no real reason?  Anyway, good to see a Trandoshan break the usual "evil race" mold.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Originally posted by ironfungus

This trailer is something I'd expect from something fan-made. Two Steps From Hell is awesome, beastly, epic, unreal and such, but its inclusion proves Bioware is incapable of making their own ORIGINAL musical score for SWTOR; just this and of course the recycled John Williams tracks from the various Star Wars movies. 

Cloned / Copied music, in addition to their already stale combat. It just doesn't add to the factor of quality the populace seems to think Bioware has. I've played far too many failed MMORPGs to figure out what kind of a game this is going to be. However, I am a rather large Star Wars fan and I sincerely hope that I'm wrong, I will say that much.

In marketting it is very common to use familiar soundscapes connected to the product in question... But i did not expect you to understand that.

This have been a good conversation

• Originally posted by Maj_Science

Not bad, I prefer the non-Force Users (and admittedly raged when I heard there were going to be two force classes way back when the Consular/Inquisitor was just announced) but it's good to see them finally get around to this guy.

Though as I read the expanded update and see the Consular's compaion I can't help but wonder... what ever happened to the Scout class?  Kotor had it (I believe,) the Star Wars PnP RPGs had it... will we be seeing it some point after launch or am I just musing for no real reason?  Anyway, good to see a Trandoshan break the usual "evil race" mold.

from what i read when i just looked up the scout class, uses a balance of force and saber skills correct?  well there is no specific class for that. but according to georg zoeller, depending how you spec, you can reach a balance of sorts.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=6729496#post6729496

GeorgZoeller

06.10.2011 , 08:21 PM

Report Post   image

Quote:

Originally Posted by Extremecobra

This may be a dumb question but if a force using class cannot use their lightsaber other than defense, then that ruins the class for me. Even a mage in WOW could use their staff to attack with.

It's a matter of preference and skills / Advanced Class on the Inquisitor or Consular.

It's perfectly viable to spec in a way that your saber becomes a purely defensive / last resort weapon. It's also possible to make your saber based abilities viable as part of your rotation, but as an Sith Sorcerer, you will only have a limited number of those. If you want a few more, you want to be an Assassin and if you want to have a ton more, you want to be a Marauder or Juggernaut instead.

In regards to Force vs. saber use, the scale is something like this (Consular Example)

|-- more Force / less saber --> more saber / less Force -- |

| -- Telekinetics/Seer Sages --> Balance Sages --> Balance Shadow --> Infiltration Shadow --> Combat Shadow --> Sentinel / Guardian -- |

There's differentiation regarding the amount of Force powers and saber powers that are available to you in both classes, but ultimately gameplay requires you to make a choice.

You cannot be a Force user with a lot of long ranged abilities and excel at melee range with your saber. You can be one, the other, or a number of things in between, depending on Advanced Class choice (Consular for significantly more Force, Knight for significantly more saber) and skill selection.

Originally posted by Maj_Science

from what i read when i just looked up the scout class, uses a balance of force and saber skills correct?  well there is no specific class for that. but according to georg zoeller, depending how you spec, you can reach a balance of sorts.

GeorgZoeller

Report Post   image

Quote:

This may be a dumb question but if a force using class cannot use their lightsaber other than defense, then that ruins the class for me. Even a mage in WOW could use their staff to attack with.

It's a matter of preference and skills / Advanced Class on the Inquisitor or Consular.

It's perfectly viable to spec in a way that your saber becomes a purely defensive / last resort weapon. It's also possible to make your saber based abilities viable as part of your rotation, but as an Sith Sorcerer, you will only have a limited number of those. If you want a few more, you want to be an Assassin and if you want to have a ton more, you want to be a Marauder or Juggernaut instead.

In regards to Force vs. saber use, the scale is something like this (Consular Example)

| -- Telekinetics/Seer Sages --> Balance Sages --> Balance Shadow --> Infiltration Shadow --> Combat Shadow --> Sentinel / Guardian -- |

There's differentiation regarding the amount of Force powers and saber powers that are available to you in both classes, but ultimately gameplay requires you to make a choice.

You cannot be a Force user with a lot of long ranged abilities and excel at melee range with your saber. You can be one, the other, or a number of things in between, depending on Advanced Class choice (Consular for significantly more Force, Knight for significantly more saber) and skill selection.

After reading this a few times... apparently there is a miscommunication somewhere as I wasn't talking about the Consular.  I was referring to a class that appeared heavily in the pen and paper RPG published by Wizards of the Coast when they had the Starwars license and in the old pre-NGE SWG.  This is the same class that the Consular's Trandoshan COMPANION is trained in.  The Consular's abilities are not even remotely similar to what the Scout class is supposed to be able to do.  There is no Scout class in ToR unless Bioware has something already planned for an update or expansion...

This was a non-Force Sensitive career path; in the Pen and Paper games, he was fairly similar to the D&D Ranger, a warrior trained in ranged combat and most at home in the untamed frontier far from civilization.  In Starwars the Scout's skills were generally focused on navigation, acclimization to particular environments, and living on the fringe of known space.  In the movies and expanded universe, this was the character class of Chewbacca, Jar Jar Binks (before Episode III,) and Wicket the Ewok.  In TOR it is the class of companion Qyzen Fess, the hunter who gladly trades away his trophies just for a ride to the next hunt.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Bioware could put out a "Garbage Can" class trailer and so many of you guys would put up a thread like this.

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226

I remember wanting to be a jedi consular before it was cool.

• Originally posted by Maj_Science

GeorgZoeller

Report Post   image

Quote:

After reading this a few times... apparently there is a miscommunication somewhere as I wasn't talking about the Consular.  I was referring to a class that appeared heavily in the pen and paper RPG published by Wizards of the Coast when they had the Starwars license and in the old pre-NGE SWG.  This is the same class that the Consular's Trandoshan COMPANION is trained in.  The Consular's abilities are not even remotely similar to what the Scout class is supposed to be able to do.  There is no Scout class in ToR unless Bioware has something already planned for an update or expansion...

This was a non-Force Sensitive career path; in the Pen and Paper games, he was fairly similar to the D&D Ranger, a warrior trained in ranged combat and most at home in the untamed frontier far from civilization.  In Starwars the Scout's skills were generally focused on navigation, acclimization to particular environments, and living on the fringe of known space.  In the movies and expanded universe, this was the character class of Chewbacca, Jar Jar Binks (before Episode III,) and Wicket the Ewok.  In TOR it is the class of companion Qyzen Fess, the hunter who gladly trades away his trophies just for a ride to the next hunt.

oh i see.  i had done a quick google search and was going off what i found was said about scout class in kotor. sorry about that.  image

GeorgZoeller

Report Post   image

Quote:

oh i see.  i had done a quick google search and was going off what i found was said about scout class in kotor. sorry about that.  image

Hmmm, not sure what you were referencing as Kotor was supposed to be based off the system Wizards of the Coasts developed for their Starwars RPG but whatever, no big deal.

• it was just some kotor character building guide, and like i said, it was a very quick google search so i could have picked something completely wrong(which it was in relation to what you were talking about). XD

http://www.gamespp.com/starwarskotor/characterBuildUpGuide.html

SCOUT CLASS
    Scout is a mix of the two classes, in some sense. If you choose this
    class focus on using Force powers and melee combat. Scouts can't go
    running in to a room full of guards, but if you micromanage your party,
    they are just as effective as soldiers in melee situations.