Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People take this game way too seriously..

VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Why is that?

Comments

• tinuelletinuelle Member UncommonPosts: 363

Originally posted by Vyeth

Why is that?

Beeing a gamer is a lifestyle, hence nothing can be taken too seriously!

Victory before dishonor!

• MentatMentat Member UncommonPosts: 516

Weird how people take a game like this seriously... considering the potential if you are very skilled at it - it could net you thousands of dollars or more...

I'm a "tryhard" in LoL - we are the folks that want victory... We have more fun winning than loosing...

Edited out the negativity, as you pointed out it wasn't warranted.. but, a good reflection of a majority of any free-game community unfortunatly

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

I wrote this awhile ago in another thread but I voted LoL as the worst community in any MMO.  Even with FPS games I find the communities more relaxed.  I'm not sure why it is to be honest but I for one know its what made me stop playing.  The funny thing is most of the insults werent directed to me but to other players.  I played when it was first released so I wouldnt be considered a noob, but the thing that got me is how some ppl were pretty rude to newer players. 

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

• seifer93seifer93 Member Posts: 6

I've had my share of ragers in this game, but I recently had the most laid back game ever. I played a random 5v5 game and literally no one was playing, we were all just talking about anime, both my team and the enemy's. The only one playing was Yi, and the enemy team would all just gank him if he got too close to a tower. It was pretty funny, and certainly a nice break from the usually angry community.

But if you think the LOL community is bad, you should have been there when DotA was big!

• freegamesfreegames Member UncommonPosts: 240

People like taking online things seriously it is just more fun that way.

As the in game population grows it is usually the younger members who constitute the bulk of the delightful raging goodness.

Free to play games tend to attract the younger crowd as well as the older crowd tend to have access to credit cards.

Free2Play is here to stay gotta go with the beat or you will be a rabbit.

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Of course people take the things they are passionate about seriously.  Would you actually expect anything else?

With such a large player base, there are many casual players who don't really care, but there is also a very large number of players who are "hardcore" and very passionate about the game.  

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Not exactly sure why anyone would take it seriously , I never even heard of it.

May have heard mention of it before, but nothing that sticks out.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

• MizzmoMizzmo Member UncommonPosts: 133

LoL is an awesome game....it really is. BUT! The community is horrid. 90% of the games you will play, ranked or not, will have people from both teams calling their teammates noobs and racial slurs and all kinds of stuff. I have been on teams that are kicking arse and the team still screams at each other calling out noob and such....even though we are winning.

I quit playing this game because of that and I spent a LOT of money on skins and such. The game is super fun, but when almost everyone is a douchebag, the game just loses it's shine.

• ntegernteger Member UncommonPosts: 13

If you think the LOL community is bad, you should take a look at HON. You try to join a game clearly labeled "N00B Game" and some jackass starts raging at you and calling you a noob and a moron. And it only gets worse from there.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I get yelled at every single time I play, and its not that I'm just jacking around its that I'm not that good.  Never understood why people expect the players in the random non ranked matches to be "uber."  

• unkindbeastunkindbeast Member Posts: 35

If you are level 30 and you still run around clueless feeding then obviously people will yell at you because nobody wants to waste their 45 minutes(average game) knowing that they will lose just because you died to an enemy too many times for not being careful. People take this game seriously because it it a competitive Player vs Player game (Yes some people are very competetive).  Lol is not for casuals. If you just want to run around and kill monsters, go play something single player.  Any hardcore PVPer will agree with me that casual players (like the ones who play once a week for 2 hours) ruin all the fun. Fun is when you have a good worthy opponent that you end up beating in a fair fight, not loosing to him just because your teammate does not know how to play.

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

I know right?! I've only met a handful of nice people but the majority are just so abusive. I mean isn't the point of any game is supposed to be fun, but when arseholes think they are "oh so mighty" and just flood the chat with just absurd crap. I'd rather not be part of that community but then again i played the online game matchs quite along time ago now so no idea if it's changed.

But that's why i just play a game against bots nowadays. I just feel like the essence of gaming for fun and have a laugh with has just been sucked into the void. Meh! I'll stick to single players for now..

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Yeah that's why I couldn't ever get into the MOBA genre. Every time I tried to learn off of real people instead of just playing against bots, I would get yelled at because I'm not a pro player who knows exactly what to do. It was one of THE worst communities I have ever played with

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

It's a shame too that the community is so rotten to the core, 'cuz DotA-style games can be SO much fun when played with the right people. I wonder how it'll be in DotA 2. I seem to recall Valve wanting to implement a system that rewards you for helping other players out or something.

I think it's a vicious circle, too. The few new players that persevere through the name-calling themselves turn into douchebags that in turn flame the living shit out of new players that arrive after them.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• DrWookieDrWookie Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by unkindbeast

If you are level 30 and you still run around clueless feeding then obviously people will yell at you because nobody wants to waste their 45 minutes(average game) knowing that they will lose just because you died to an enemy too many times for not being careful. People take this game seriously because it it a competitive Player vs Player game (Yes some people are very competetive).  Lol is not for casuals. If you just want to run around and kill monsters, go play something single player.  Any hardcore PVPer will agree with me that casual players (like the ones who play once a week for 2 hours) ruin all the fun. Fun is when you have a good worthy opponent that you end up beating in a fair fight, not loosing to him just because your teammate does not know how to play.

If people are so particularly about facing off against skilled "worthy" opponents why do they join random games? Or in HON why do they just games entitled "For Noobs" (or some version of that)? If you are so particular about facing a worthy opponent without "noobs" on your team why don't you make friends and just play with them? I really don't see how "random" games make sense for people who are so particular about the quality of players they are with.

• smokey1223smokey1223 Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by DrWookie

If people are so particularly about facing off against skilled "worthy" opponents why do they join random games? Or in HON why do they just games entitled "For Noobs" (or some version of that)? If you are so particular about facing a worthy opponent without "noobs" on your team why don't you make friends and just play with them? I really don't see how "random" games make sense for people who are so particular about the quality of players they are with.

The problem with making teams is that it takes 45 minutes to play a game. So if you want to play with certain friends you have to wait for them to finish. There is no guarantee that you wont be called away or they wont start another game b4 waiting. Even trying to get a game going in the chatroom your still bound to get a leaver/afker/feeder. The only concrete way to avoid shitty team compositions is to play with real life friends.

My theory is if your lvl 30 (max) then you know how to play the game. You know how to play the map. You know what the slang of the game entails (hugging, mia's, ganks) Which leads to people getting pissed off because regardless of your familiarity with your champion, by then you should have a basic knowledge of 1/2 the champions.

I myself have got leave's and I get penalized by Riot for it. Some things are out of your control. If your grandmother is dieing are you really worried about pissing off 4 e-nerds, No! If they are your friends they understand, and if they don't you could always just tell them to F off and kick thier ass if you need to.

The only thing that really irritates me nowadays is when it happens in ranked matches. If you dont have an hr to dedicate to the game you really shouldnt be playing a ranked match. If you do have the time for a ranked match, but you are tired or too stoned you shouldnt mess up others experience either. I know it sounds retarded but its kind of like taking a roadtrip. Make sure you go to the bathroom and eat before you leave because we aren't stopping because your lacking common sense!

Regardless of the reason, $h!t happens, Piss or get off the pot!

• unkindbeastunkindbeast Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by DrWookie

If you read my post, I said "if you are level 30" (Capped level in the game). By level 30 you should have a good clue about how to play the game. If you are just talking about noob low levels, well people are like that in every game that involves intense PVP. Try Age of Conan or Darkfall and see how cruel people can be =).  Oh and btw I was not talking about leavers. RL > Game.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

thats how competitive game in online.

People talk shit and give people a hardtime.

I try to play with my clan most of the time, with no outsiders allowed.

THis is how i plan to play Dota2. I suggest not even bothering if stuff like that makes you rage.

play with Rl friends or not at all.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    People tend to be pretty nice. I mean... There are ragers n stuff but if youre friendly, ppl tend to be a lot nicer n more respectful. o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• TriadninjaTriadninja Member Posts: 111

I've found it better to make Pre-Mades with my community then to go into randoms. 9 times out of 10 I end up with a group that wants to do their own thing and not help out with the team, causing us to lose. Only rarely do I find a team that likes to co-operate and brofist our way to victory in randoms. Even with that said, I have no problem playing this game with just community members/friends, as it makes for a better time, especially when you get to start up a random conversation about stuphs when your steamrolling the enemy team.

• ctacconi21ctacconi21 Member Posts: 18

To all the above posters who claimed to have left the game for the bad community, i feel sorry for u, but lemme say 1 thing, for 1 time and 1 time only try to stay behind the barricade....

I mean, im a lol player for 1,5 year now, played the beta, than starting playing on US server, got like 600 games there, than switched to EU (im in europe btw) now im around the 3000+ played games, ranked and not.

AND i am ubermegabored to find lvl 30 ppl with 500 wins(that means another 400+ loss netting a total of 1000+ game) totally clueless, i mean TOTALLY, ppl who claim they jungling, staying in the forest for 25 min, than ending 0/9/2 just for a quick example, i mean u are not confident in ur skills? go tutorial, stay out of the matchmaking, ruining other ppl game, we can rarely win in 4, when one of your teammate is doing something like 8 death and 0 kills, feeding the enemy carry.

Plus the "casual" are pretty much more arrogant than hardcore players, if u trying to suggest a nice item combination, let's say "dude buy some magic res we are facing 3 heavy caster" u got flamed insulted and so on, so what can we "old" gamers do? u just have to play in MM babysitting 1-2 retards per game hoping that u can carry the entire game, letting the "casual" win? pretty sad, but this my point of view.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

This is not just an issue with LOL but online games in general I find many people just don't have the patients for new players.

I see it LoL, L42 and WoW - some just want to win win win the quickest and easiest way they can and if it looks like they might need to work for a win they just don't want to know.

Some of the best matches in L4D have been games were my team were on the back foot and we came back and won... nothing feels like a well fought victory.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

You think LoL is bad? Go check out HoN, that is without a doubt the worst, most obnoxious, shit ridden community to ever stain the world.

• Miroku271Miroku271 Member UncommonPosts: 16

This is in no way an excuse for those who choose to be like that, but I think a part of that attitude comes from the game length. I know when I get into a game the first thing im thinking is I hope we don't get destroyed. The games are easily 30 mins long and I've seen ones go on longer than an hour(if the teams are near matched in skill), but who wants to go in and lose a game you just spent giving it everything you had and lose after that long? Not me, yet I'm okay with it if I do. I don't play this game like an elitist jerk. I play to have fun, but with intent to win like I'm sure most others do... and 1/4th of the time im the guy thats being raged at, but I definitely understand not wanting to lose such a long match knowing that theres a guy who changed the outcome from winning to losing.

That is the part of the mentality those players have that I can understand, but the other reasons(if any) I can't think of.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I also pretty much quit because of the community; it's one of the worst I've ever seen. Bunch of screaming, whining, self-entitled brats. Don't get me wrong; I understand getting upset if someone who clearly doesn't know what they're doing enters a ranked match and starts screwing it up. But unranked matches are there for practice, and I think it's just absurd how bent out of shape people get over a match that doesn't even MATTER. But make just one mistake, and people (the 'vets' I suppose) jump all over you, screaming the word 'noob' combined with various insults and racial slurs to the point of ridiculousness.

To their credit, Riot Games does do their best to police the community, unlike some others *coughBlizzardcough*. Unfortunately, it's still just terrible. Which really sucks because the game is incredibly fun and well made. Maybe us MMORPG.com folk who love the game but hate the people should make our own clan and just play that way... food for thought.