Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

smugglers get to smuggle players, kinda of

georg says smuggler can stealth its whole group

GeorgZoeller Smuggler -> Not enough love for Smuggler class so far?

As a non force user class, the smuggler is definitely a bit of a renegade / rogue - something a lot of players won't try for a while as they explore their Force & Lightsaber wielding Star Wars fantasy.

That said, it's one of the most versatile classes... and that was before we gave the Smuggler the ability to 'Smuggle' (... their entire group behind enemy lines using that pretty rad stealth field generator they pieced together from some parts that fell off the back of some Imperial shuttle).

he also had a couple other short posts today. first was about limiting server size which wasn't really a suprise

GeorgZoeller General Discussion -> Server population cap?

It is a good assumption that we are going to limit the population of each server in order to ensure quality of service. Allowing unlimited users on a server would be a recipe for unlimited unhappy users.

GeorgZoeller Smuggler -> GamewizX's Gunslinger PvP experience at SDCC

It really depends on the spec you are running as a Gunslinger. Gunslingers are very nasty with cover once they are 'Entrenched', nothing to laugh at at all.

The run and gun thing is certainly possible as well. That's the nice thing about the skill trees, you have choices in playstyle.

this other post was in response to a thread discuss someone who attended SDCC's pvp impressions, specifically smuggler gunslinger

Speaking of cover… I didn’t use it once with the Gunslinger. There were only two abilities that required it and neither of them did the same amount of damage as some of my primary abilities. The Gunslinger definitely felt like the “run’n’gun” class and I’m sure the Scoundrel was more about the cover mechanics. For comparison, if you played a Hunter in WoW and loved it, this is the class for you. Nothing was more fun than having a Sith Warrior leap right into your face and you meeting him with a swift kick to the groin. After that, I would lead him on a merry chase around the map, snaring and slowing him with multiple abilities as I whittled away his health with high damage, instant cast shots. I’m sure I frustrated the heck out of the other player and it was immensely satisfying.

The full impression article can be found here

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I like the idea of making smugglers "smuggle" players via a AoE stealth field.  Probably the best way to make a smuggler feel like a smuggler in a theme park game.  Thumbs up :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I'd have thought there'd be some NPC missions to smuggle weapons/drugs/slaves so I'm sure that they'll get to smuggle to some degree, if not at launch then latter on.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Nice idea, AoE stealth field.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Agricola1

I'd have thought there'd be some NPC missions to smuggle weapons/drugs/slaves so I'm sure that they'll get to smuggle to some degree, if not at launch then latter on.

Well, you supposedly arrive on Ord Matell (sp?) to deliver guns for the Republic side of thing so it's probably in there.  Hopefully there will be plenty of light (smuggle food and meds past a Sith blockade to a besieged planet) as well as dark side options for commodities.

As for the OP, yeah that group stealth field's a nice little nugget of information, thanks.

• lostkosslostkoss Member Posts: 149

Uh, Smugglers gotta smuggle. Ya Know?

Ifs theys wasn't smugglin dem theys just be freighter pilots.

Have a sense of humor, no need to get ALL MODDY ! :) A Simpson's quote shouldn't be worth a warning. You are lucky anyone is bothering to read this rag.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Smuggling a party =/= smuggling missions.

Still nice feature, if I read well it only lasts 15 secs though.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    dont believe the hype.
  • Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by lostkoss

Uh, Smugglers gotta smuggle. Ya Know?

Ifs theys wasn't smugglin dem theys just be freighter pilots.

There's also a war between the Republic and the Sith ya know?  Because like, it would be a really boring book/movie/game if it took place when there wasn't some kind of war.

And wars tend to do things to the definition of contraband.  Suddenly something as inane as medicine or spare parts can become all different shades of illegal depending on where their destination is...

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Old! =P

My EQ2 Swashbuckler used to smuggle parties all the time. :D keke

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• this is likely unsuprising, but georg hints that agents get a similar group stealth skill

GeorgZoeller Smuggler -> Not enough love for Smuggler class so far?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AphoticCosmos

Awesome that our Smuggler/Snuggler bros/gals/mortal enemies get group stealth . . .

But do Agents get it too!?

/puppydogeyes

Considering the parts of that technology fell of the back of an Imperial Shuttle on it's way to Imperial Intelligence HQ on Dromund Kaas, it's a good assumption that Imperial Agents have access to some similar gadgetry as well

Stephen reid comments that there is the possibility that people in the red zone may be invited to the beta weekends.  its not confirmed but is being discussed

StephenReid General Discussion -> For those outside The Old Republic's initial launch territories

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusky_ View Post

Are red-zone players eligible for the announced september beta weekends ? Or beta in general ? There appears to be no information about regioning in the beta FAQ

Discussions are happening on this right now. When a decision's been made, we'll let you know.

based on georgs comments, we likely won't know server population cap till after the beta weekends aat the very least

GeorgZoeller General Discussion -> Server population cap?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quip

That's just too vague, we know the hero engine has some pretty impressive tech to increase capacities.

Would it be so terrible to cough up some population caps estimates?

Please?

This topic has little to nothing to do with engines and their capabilities. An empty Unreal level has some insanely cool capabilities too. It's all the features, content, systems and players that make the game that define your max population cap, along with variables such as bandwidth per player, CPU cost per player, etc.

Since we have not decided what our cap will be (extended load testing will determine that), we see little reason to have a discussion about a number that does not yet exist. Sorry.

Stephen Reid confirms there is currently no option to completely bypass cutscenes

StephenReid General Discussion -> Wiil there be an option to Disable Cutscenes?

To answer the original question, no, there is currently no option to completely disable the conversation scenes in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

BioWare is known for creating some of the best story-driven games in the world. Story is a key feature in every game we create. As such, we like to think that's one of the reasons people play our games. We wouldn't automatically give people an option to switch off a key feature.

That said, the feature's been discussed. There may be some benefit for people who are playing a class over again, for example. As of right now though, it's not an option that's in the game.

As has been mentioned, while in a conversation you have the option to press space bar and skip a line of dialogue. You can go through and pick your conversation choices much more rapidly that way if you wish.

Stephen Reid also posted once again about the limited launch release

StephenReid General Discussion -> For those outside The Old Republic's initial launch territories

Hello again everyone,

Since this thread began we've seen a lot of posts, a lot of opinions and a lot of discussion. I'd like you to know we're reading your feedback.

We understand that there's been a desire to gain a definitive 'answer' to why this decision was taken. As I've said before, you already have your answer in the very first post of this thread. It was a decision made to ensure the highest quality of game service in every territory in which we launch, regardless of when that launch occurs.

I'd like to recap on a few other key questions and answers:

• There are no plans to 'region lock' or 'IP block' players from the game. You may experience some latency issues if you're not playing in a launch territory.

• Anyone who pre-orders The Old Republic and redeems their pre-order code will be eligible for Early Game Access.

• Those eligible for Early Game Access will be able to download the game client before it starts.

• There will be a period after launch day in which those who have pre-ordered will be able to continue playing before entering their Game Code. More information on this will be made available closer to launch.

• We will accept credit card payments for subscriptions.

These seem to be the key questions for those who choose to potentially import the game, and hopefully we've answered those.

We understand many of you are also interested to know the timeframe for release of The Old Republic outside of the initial launch countries, but unfortunately we cannot give you a definitive timeframe right now. As we get closer to our initial launch, hopefully that will change and we'll be able to give you more details.

And georg once again felt the need to inform people that this game has no connection to SWG besides the IP XD

GeorgZoeller Smuggler -> GamewizX's Gunslinger PvP experience at SDCC

Quote:

Originally Posted by JekRendar View Post

Perhaps you didn't realize that not everyone played mediocre fantasy themepark MMOs. Likewise, TOR is the spiritual successor to SWG.

This is incorrect.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is the spritual successor to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, also made by BioWare, and not any other game.