Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eq2 is the most addictive MMO

1235»

Comments

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by neorandom

for me this is the one glaring thing eq2 did wrong.  a conveluded system to get to master level abilities.

what they should have done is very simple, give you the ability at basic beginner level off your trainer when you level.

you go out, and if you like the ability you use it, as you use it you gain profficiency, and eventually you master it (alla eq1 skill grind basically).

Yep, it's extremely convoluted. I guess SOE wanted to have a time and money sink in the game so they put in mastery tiers. I mean, we need books that drop from mobs, some of them extremely rare and therefore extremely expensive, and then we also need Sages. Developing a tradeskiller is pretty much a money and time sink. Buying things off the broker is a money sink.

It's one though I really wish they'd do without. Games like Rift and WoW don't have spell tiers and I don't think they're missing out on a great game mechanic to be honest...

With respect to your comment about gaining proficiencies, the system is already pretty much in place. I mean, if you use a bow continuously, your Ranged skill goes up. So your suggestion of having abilities get better as they are used is really good and wouldn't be too hard to implement, would it? It's a bit like UO's skill progression. It makes a lot more sense than buying books to increase skills. Nice suggestion!

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• banecrowbanecrow Member UncommonPosts: 93

Get me my dam Beastlord class in EQ II and I will think about playing again. 

• wertaxwertax Member UncommonPosts: 68

Originally posted by banecrow

Well see you next expansion then ? your wish came true.

Ort.

• banecrowbanecrow Member UncommonPosts: 93

Originally posted by wertax

Originally posted by banecrow

Well see you next expansion then ? your wish came true.

Ort.

Serious? Guess I am going to have to look it up then.

• gt4980bgt4980b Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by MurlockDance

Originally posted by neorandom

for me this is the one glaring thing eq2 did wrong.  a conveluded system to get to master level abilities.

what they should have done is very simple, give you the ability at basic beginner level off your trainer when you level.

you go out, and if you like the ability you use it, as you use it you gain profficiency, and eventually you master it (alla eq1 skill grind basically).

Yep, it's extremely convoluted. I guess SOE wanted to have a time and money sink in the game so they put in mastery tiers. I mean, we need books that drop from mobs, some of them extremely rare and therefore extremely expensive, and then we also need Sages. Developing a tradeskiller is pretty much a money and time sink. Buying things off the broker is a money sink.

It's one though I really wish they'd do without. Games like Rift and WoW don't have spell tiers and I don't think they're missing out on a great game mechanic to be honest...

With respect to your comment about gaining proficiencies, the system is already pretty much in place. I mean, if you use a bow continuously, your Ranged skill goes up. So your suggestion of having abilities get better as they are used is really good and wouldn't be too hard to implement, would it? It's a bit like UO's skill progression. It makes a lot more sense than buying books to increase skills. Nice suggestion!

I actually like the skill/spell book system.  I think it helps out the economy a lot.  Its a time sink if raid, maybe.  But I mainly just explore and collect items.  I know players who craft and never adventure.  So there is plenty of stuff for our play type to do but I can see it being frustrating if your goal is to raid or instance all day. 

I've never played EVE but I suspect EQNext will employ that system instead.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by gt4980b

I actually like the skill/spell book system.  I think it helps out the economy a lot.  Its a time sink if raid, maybe.  But I mainly just explore and collect items.  I know players who craft and never adventure.  So there is plenty of stuff for our play type to do but I can see it being frustrating if your goal is to raid or instance all day. 

I've never played EVE but I suspect EQNext will employ that system instead.

I am not a raider or instance-runner, but I still find the system a little annoying. I've gotten used to it though.

Crafting is very cool. It's a shame though that crafters can't make the best books available. I wish SOE would change that.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I am not a raider or instance-runner, but I still find the system a little annoying. I've gotten used to it though.

Crafting is very cool. It's a shame though that crafters can't make the best books available. I wish SOE would change that.

I agree with you on crafting -- and altho I do raid -- its not any more thrilling to me than doing a dungeon run

I am looking forward to the design your own dungeon feature in November expansion

- you cant play your own characters

- you get zero experience

- you play for tokens

I think it will be a fun meta game

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

Ive played pretty much every big MMORPG and always thought EQ2 was slightly behind other major theme parks like WoW and LoTRO. But playing it now on max settings with all new updates and polish, I think its great. EQ2's weakest point is combat system. Staying still and pressing buttons most of which are same damaging abilities is very uninspiring. For that reason I gave up on the game and returned to WoW several years ago. Hopefully new class will bring something new to the table.

Btw I highly recommend EQ2Ext server due to its population and F2P model