Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another love hate thread.

C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522
Age of conan seconds only Ultimate Online in games I spent my time enjoying pvp. Some people prefer tab target, auto face one button spam smashers and for melee aoc doesn't provide this. Now I have returned after years away for this new server and am having a blast again. Yet at the same time I sit in disbelief over some of the facts. After all this time I must say it slightly bothered to find some classes becoming trash at 80 when in the past all classes had a legitimate chance.

1. Guardians remain the gods of Hyborea. Highest damage + defense leads me to believe the expansion progression buffed then further than ever before.

2. Rangers no longer have combos so circle strafing is pointless as the arrow will follow, I played a dominating ranger for a year... They definitely did not need one button spam.

3. Due to new AA progression HoXs, Necros, ToSs are crap compared to everything else. 3 classes... Complete under whelming crap.

4. DT's while scaling better late game are still crap during the leveling process before getting geared.

5. Sins seem much more potent through 1-79.. Which definitely wasn't needed. On my sin years ago I had to try in pvp... Now they don't.

6. Field of the dead still has a bug allowing nukes to kill you instantly or damage to drop you from half life to dead regardless of damage delt.

Most of all those 3 classes being crap bothers me the most as it displays funcoms inability to balance... Been quite a while since AA was added.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

Comments

• FermentFerment Member UncommonPosts: 17

can't really say anything in response to your post cause i dont really play the game. with the free subscription type now though i'm gonna give it another go, and i have a level 34 priest of mitra i'd like to play. dunno if its one of the ones available in the free subscription, but anyhow, how is the class in pvp and pve?

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

PoM suffers due to AA progession and gear give high resistances to magical damage yet at the same time you are a healer and provide other services to a team. There has never been a team that says no... we don't need any PoM's but there are many instances of choosing a Bear Shaman over a PoM because it has strong melee dps while healing. There are positive ways to spec PoM and the only classes that are not recommended are HoX, ToS, Necro. They do not get ways to effectively scale their magical damage compared to the ways classes aquire to be immune to it.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

PoM suffers due to AA progession and gear give high resistances to magical damage yet at the same time you are a healer and provide other services to a team. There has never been a team that says no... we don't need any PoM's but there are many instances of choosing a Bear Shaman over a PoM because it has strong melee dps while healing. There are positive ways to spec PoM and the only classes that are not recommended are HoX, ToS, Necro. They do not get ways to effectively scale their magical damage compared to the ways classes aquire to be immune to it.

Ah thanks for the heads up. So if I go premium I won't suffer as much 'cause i'll have AA progression?

(sorry to fill your thread up with unrelated questions, I will most assuredly duck out when someone arrives who has an opinion on class balance)

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522
    Yeah, you'll be fine as a pom. If you go blood & glory and need any help my name is Coma. No hard feelings if I have or do gang you in the future... It's why I play with my team. Group pvp!

Yeah, you'll be fine as a pom. If you go blood & glory and need any help my name is Coma. No hard feelings if I have or do gang you in the future... It's why I play with my team. Group pvp!

haha, all understandable. nah i'm coming from an AO/WoW background, and while there was a time when you could loot players in AO, I came back to the game and that had passed and I'll never play an FFA game again until Darkfall shapens up.

thanks for the class rolling heads up, Guardian or PoM are definitely what i'll be playing now that you've so heavily 'recommended' guardian lol.

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Ferment

haha, all understandable. nah i'm coming from an AO/WoW background, and while there was a time when you could loot players in AO, I came back to the game and that had passed and I'll never play an FFA game again until Darkfall shapens up.

thanks for the class rolling heads up, Guardian or PoM are definitely what i'll be playing now that you've so heavily 'recommended' guardian lol.

Guards are fairly straight forward to play and are extremely powerful in pvp and pve. You can not go wrong by rolling a guard. PoMs are a lot more difficult to play in pvp. 

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571

Well I agree with you on quite a few fronts.  First off Guardians are definitly the gods of this game.  Highest life, highest physical and even comperable magic defense to a DT and while they don't put out the "highest damage" it is very very high.  They are unstoppable at PvP 10.  I will agree with you that HoX's and ToS's get the shaft.  Sin's are more potent but I think its a good thing they are a pretty difficult class to play.  

There are a few things I disagree with however.  Ranger changes were meh.  I honestly don't like the new white damage upper lower attack bonus style of play but to each his own.  Necro's honestly can destroy in PvP.  Maybe thats just because I'm on a server with a lot of very good Necro's. 

One thing that you didn't really mention but I think it really needs to be touched on is that the learning curve and gear curve for new players is intimidating.  Now I don't think that new players should be able to take down people easily that have worked their butt off and aquired pvp gear, but I will say that its going to make a lot of new players fusterated and quit because until they get to around PvP 5-6 and get the T2 gear they won't stand a chance.  Also keep in mind the Campaign Badge system is retarted.  Since you have to win to get a badge the new players on the losing end will have a very hard time getting the badges required to get the gear.  This is the most fusterating aspect I have seen for the newer players in my guild.