Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give your opinion on the shut down

I used to play SWG all the time. In fact, it was my first MMO experience and I have shed a few tears to know that it's all coming to an end. Now I'm looking for your opinion on the game.

Is SWG a suffering beast to be put out of its misery (in kinder words, is it time to move on), or is it still a fun and entertaining experience for Star Wars fans that deserves to last?

Comments

• bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

It's a game that has been largely neglected and mistreated of it's potential, that is substantially better now then when it launched.  But this came only after ruining it's good name forever after the NGE fiasco.  It's still a good game, but dated at this point with no real future given it's abandonment since the mid-2000s (no future expansions) and declining population.

In other words if it wasn't for all that I could see it lasting for a lot longer, but whether it shut down now or not it wouldn't last too many more years especially with TOR on the horizon.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203

Its is still the only mmo I always finding myself going back to play. I would have kepted a account going even with TOR coming out just for a change of pace.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by Storched

Is SWG a suffering beast to be put out of its misery (in kinder words, is it time to move on), or is it still a fun and entertaining experience for Star Wars fans that deserves to last?

Are those the only 2 options? Because if they are, I assure you it is sure as hell not the 2nd option. SWG is no more "Star Wars" than Ewok Adventure was. Sure, there were Star Wars locations and Star Wars 'things' in game, but SWG has NEVER been a "Star Wars" experience except in name only.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I used to play SWG all the time. In fact, it was my first MMO experience and I have shed a few tears to know that it's all coming to an end. Now I'm looking for your opinion on the game.

The plug should've been pulled long ago, after SOE wrecked the game with the NGE in '05.  I have no disappointment at all that SWG is shutting down soon, because the one that's finally getting shot in the forehead is not the same MMORPG that I used to love playing long ago.

The only thing still "SWG" about "SWG" is the name.  The gameplay itself bears no resemblence in any way, shape, or form of the game that I liked.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

I'm sorry others have lost a game they enjoyed.  I'm just amazed it kept going as long as it did. 

I'll always have fond memories, but for me, the plug was pulled years ago.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

imo it just lucas arts saying "hey get that thing down we are coming out with a newer mmo and we dont need to have 2 sw mmo's out on the market" sure we all loved the old version..but some liked the newer version of swg ..but all in all the new sw is where they want kids to flock to...a glitter / glam mmorpg that is 10 times easyer to appeal to lil kiddys and teens alike...yet another theampark mmo to flood the market with

not to mention that soe craps on everything they touch

• toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Warmaker

/snip

The only thing still "SWG" about "SWG" is the name.  The gameplay itself bears no resemblence in any way, shape, or form of the game that I liked.

Except it does.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

it is sad!that community went through hell and back and is going through hell again!(pre-nge anybody)

my condoleance to all those player!(no sarcasm)

i sure hope soe have learned from their various issue.cause no gamer should be made to suffer as this community suffered.

true it is only a game but i bet all those player that played from start to finish have lot of emotion bottled in!

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907

Originally posted by odinsrath

imo it just lucas arts saying "hey get that thing down we are coming out with a newer mmo and we dont need to have 2 sw mmo's out on the market" sure we all loved the old version..but some liked the newer version of swg ..but all in all the new sw is where they want kids to flock to...a glitter / glam mmorpg that is 10 times easyer to appeal to lil kiddys and teens alike...yet another theampark mmo to flood the market with

not to mention that soe craps on everything they touch

Do you HONESTLY think Lucas Arts gave a crap about the 500 or so SWG players?!

Lucas Arts didn't care...they gave up years ago when they allowed SOE to add in pink flying Ewoks with purple hearts. Lucas Arts had little to do with this aside from agreeing with SOE that it was probably wise to not renew the license.

• maccajnrmaccajnr Member UncommonPosts: 84

Shutting down is unfortunatelly for SWG the best thing to do. The patient was brain dead years ago already.

So many things has been said about NGE and CU. But my opinion is that SOE should have allowed different servers with both versions. Like EQ and EQ2. But SOE never wanted to maintain a pre-CU server. Too bad for them. And I feel sorry for all players.

{mod edit}

• Nadya3Nadya3 Member Posts: 348

SOE is the opposite of the king midas that everything that touches turns  to dirt instead of gold. that sadly was what happened to one of the best mmo i've played SWG.  NGE and every other change they did only took all that  was fun from the game.

i have shed a few tears when i heard that SWG was closing down for good, but i knew this was gonna happen eventually.

i really hope a new company can revive the original SWG  but with modern graphics. 

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

Pre CU SWG was and still is the best mmo I've ever played and I think I've played almost all of them.  The shut down is about 6 years late in my opinion.  They should have shot the crippled horse in 2005 or SOE should have reversed the CU and given the game a true chance after the mmo BOOM that brought the kiddies away from the consoles.

SWG was one of the saddest  stories of death by mis-management that I've ever seen in the gaming industry.  SOE should have absolutely fired whoever made the decisions regarding that game, or kicked LArts in the ass for stupid decision making. There have been thousands of posts from bitter, pissed off or heartbroken players that fell on deaf ears.  They did an awesome game a great disservice by leaving the servers up as long as they did imo.

Hopefully other developers had a chance to play it and get some fantastic ideas for future sandbox games.  I'm hoping some of the devs at Bioware working on SWTOR found their love for mmos in SWG and strive to feed us some of that in their Star Wars creation.

No bitchers.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

The shut down was unfortunate.  SWG still had a lot of people playing it, and SOE was still actively developing the game, which is more than we can say for Vanguard.  At the end of the day, I think it just comes down to the fact that LucasArts held the license and really didn't like the idea of having two Star Wars MMORPGs on the market at the same time.  Not that it would have effected SW:TOR though, or at least I don't think it would.  SW:TOR may well have killed SWG, but LA should have at least waited to see how things went down.

• LisXiaLisXia Member Posts: 390

SWG during the early days is awesome.  It makes roaming and living in a world meaningful, digital world.

It makes merchants meaningful, crafting meaningful.  Even dancing and doctors are meaningful.  Not just a tag along healer.

Everybody, every profession has its role.

The player houses, the occasional pvps ...

But we seems to have forgotten that it has it share of flaws, some serious flaws.

Now that is is gone, we tend to remember too fondly the sweet moments and forgot how frustrated some of the bugs and issues were.

Its gone, so be it.  Nice to have some good memories from a game.  It has served its role, let it rest.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Im gonna miss it. Wish it didnt have to happen.

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

I think it's a great thing they're shutting this piece of garbage down.  It's been dead for years and a slap in the face to those of us who invested so much time Pre-NGE.  Good for SOE for putting this junk out of it's misery.

Tecmo Bowl.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Whether you loved it or hated it, the writing for this has been on the wall for years. Quite frankly, I'm amazed the game made it this long after all the controversy over the years. The only thing that kept it alive was 1.) no other Star Wars competition and 2.) it padded the Station Pass.

It's the same case with Vanguard, with one exception. Vanguard has no outside IP owner, therefore there will not be another "Vanguard" title to compete with it. So unlike SWG, SOE can keep Vanguard as Station Pass padding forever without ever having to spend another dime on it for development, as there is no contract with an IP owner such as LucasArts saying they have to continue to add content and keep it "alive".

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• kuraikenshinkuraikenshin Member Posts: 47

I honestly feel like shutting it down is like SoE spitting in the faces of the last few fans the game still had. It really is tragic. Despite the flaws, SWG was its own game, unique from any other in the industry. The sandbox features were amazing, it had a great soundtrack, and even though I don't play it and haven't played it for some time, it saddens me to see it go down. It really does feel like the fans are being told buy ToR or have no star wars- it feels... wrong. SWG seems like it was an experiment in manipulating the market, and after all of the changes it went through, just flipping the switch on it's remaining members who have invested time and money on the game is insulting. It reminds me of that scene in Hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy where the Dolphins, moments before the earth is destroyed, are all like "Thanks for the fish", then boom. Just like that, they pull the carpet out from under the remaining player's feet. Its just not fair.

And to think that the space expansion is going off, too- imo JTL was the best thing that game ever had, it was the only reason I would jump back in every now and again. Oh well. I don't understand why the game can't just go free to play or something... if I knew the politics behiind it's shut down I'd probably just be angry about it.

Honestly, its like the game fought with a disease for so many years just to have its plug pulled.  RIP galaxies- I'll remember the good times.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

The original SWG was an awesome Star Wars experience for those who had graduated from either wanting to beLuke, Han, et al, and those who do not want to be told a story and that they are a "iconic hero" at the end of said story.

It allowed those of us who loved the Star Wars background universe to build our own stories. The great thing, at least on Kauri, was that the majority of the other players got that and were creative enough to build their own stories and tie them into others.

This said, and being attached to that game since its beta (I still have my beta emails and beta CDs) I've been ready for it to shut down for a while. I'd say it took about a year after the NGE that it finally sunk in that SOE/LA weren't going to let us have pre NGE servers. With that, I felt they should just shut the whole thing down then.

I can now comfortably close the book on the possibility of ever playing a computer or console game based on this IP ever again. SWG's closure is a clean break, very amiable from my side, between me and the electronic Star Wars IP of gaming.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

Originally posted by tman5

I'm sorry others have lost a game they enjoyed.  I'm just amazed it kept going as long as it did. 

I'll always have fond memories, but for me, the plug was pulled years ago.

Same thing here, for me the game died when NGE came live. I don't really care about it anymore, actualy I can't understand how it survived so long.

• in4sitin4sit Member Posts: 130

This game was dead to me back in 2005, so I don't really have any feelings right now,.. but I will say it's sad to see what this game has become. The countless hours, making friends, crafting, etc.. was fun at the time and it was sad to see how a company can damage a good game and then turn around and burn it's costomers as well. I can tell you that I will never buy another game with SOE attached to it... I understand things change when it comes to online games,.. but SOE went way over the edge on screwing its customers on SWG.

So long SWG, but you have been dead to me for almost 5 years now...

Been there done that:
    Asherons Call,SWG,AOC,D&D,COH,Anarchy Online,DAOC,EVE,Guild Wars,LOTRO,POTBS,WAR,WW2, and Rift

• sienosieno Member Posts: 119

I agree it has been dead to me as well and I have also banned all soe games from my gaming library  also

You want loot? Go kill some npcs, you wanna visit hades? come find ME, and dont forget to bring coins for the ferryman,

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

the nge was a disgrace to both the mmo genre and star wars. 

additionally, it was built upon lies, deceit, scam, and what not.

a very sad ending to a once terrific game - but THAT game died over 5 years ago. 

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Meh...

• ZezdaZezda Member UncommonPosts: 686

I'm sad to see such an original game squandered and a cut/paste job enter into the market in it's place to sully the decent name SWG made for itself and the brand (at least initially).