Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UWO or PotBS?

CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

I just  installed UWO this past weekend and starting playing through the intro tutorial. So far it seems like a really indepth, fun, game.  I played PotBS in beta, and I think I played for about one or two months after.  My friends quit so I quit with them.

What advantages does one have over the other?  Are both pretty well populated?   Has anyone played both and able to give opinions on the one they liked the most?

Thanks

Comments

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

I played both, both of them for a few months.

If you're looking for good polish, good graphics and if you're mainly interested in ship combat, I'd advise to go PotBS. Be adivised that PotBS is a PvE-themepark while you level to 50 and changes to become a predominantly PvP-game after that.

If you're looking for exploration, sailing, trading and generally a more varied sandbox experience go for UWO if you can stand it's rather horrible chat and user interface.

Generally speaking PotBS is much more of a PvP-game than UWO. There IS PvP in UWO but there are other things too, in PotBS there's practically only PvP once you've hit the level cap (unless you enjoy running the same instance of the same quest every day).

YMMV :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Thanks, that seems to sum it up nicely.  I barely remember PotBS, but I think I remember the UI being better than UWO.  I'm primarily interested in trading/crafting.  That is what I was planning to do in pirates before I quit.  Guess you helped me answer that question.  UWO = more sandbox where trading is actually something doable.  I like shiny graphics, but it isn't a deal breaker.

I made a Dutch trader this past weekend.  Looks like I'll keep at for a while. 

• SutterSutter Member UncommonPosts: 35

UWO is a much better game depth wise and has a great sandbox feel, and most importantly it's not ran by SOE

If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first. I'm too busy acting like I'm not naive I've seen it all, I was here first. -Very Ape- Nirvana

• NortonGBNortonGB Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Sutter

UWO is a much better game depth wise and has a great sandbox feel, and most importantly it's not ran by SOE

No it's not run by SOE, it appears to be run by Netmarble of Korea who have little idea of what is needed to cater for western players expectations. Multis & cheaters are mostly ignored with virtually no forum moderation at all.

I agree with you about the game itself but right now I would be biased toward Potbs that is run by FLS who have been taking steps to get a lot of things right, for what it lacks in content it makes up for it by having great ship combat, better graphics & PVP.

So if PVP is your thing, it's a no brainier, Potbs wins!

• NBForrest1NBForrest1 Member Posts: 11

In potbs pvp consists of:

1)Baby seal clubbing: high level players killing low level new players.

2)Ganking: 6 ships attacking 1 ship

3) Time griefing: 1 ship oufitted for maximum speed attacking 6 ships and then running away without engaging in combat, rinse and repeat.

Very rarely does potbs pvp consist of an equal number of ships of approximately the same levels engaging in combat.

all in all the pvp in potbs is very one sided,boring and not very challenging.To compensate for the low server populations and lack luster pvp,the potbs developers have created ingame pets that you can buy.The developers seem to think that monkeys wearing hats is a great substitute for quality pvp. 

potbs is exactly that, a big steaming Pot of BS when it comes to real pvp.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Originally posted by NBForrest1

potbs is exactly that, a big steaming Pot of BS when it comes to real pvp.

Flying Lab Software really managed to find some awful acronyms, didn't they?  Consider also their company name acronym of FLS.  That can be pronounced in a lot of ways:  flaws, flees, fleas, flies (as in insects), fools, fails... and those all have negative connotations.

-----

UWO is more about trading and exploring, while PotBS is mostly about PVE combat.  They're not that similar of games.

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

I installed both of these games. I played PoTBS first and enjoyed alot of what was mentioned here already. Good graphics, character customization..if you're into that, nice char models, etc..but after I got to level 12 or so, I couldn't take it anymore. I understand that it's all about PvE at first, then PvP. I just didn't feel like I could care enough to care to keep going. Liked the game...have always enjoyed a good pirate game.

UWO I haven't really given a fair shake. I installed the "installer" from netmarble and my pc started acting crazy. I ran all my AV/reg cleaner and it still acted strangely. I uninstalled the netmarble crap, and now it's working fine. No thanks. In time, I might try it again. Sandbox+pirate game sounds good to me...don't care for the anime look, but if it's a good game I can overlook alot.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

POTBS is more like the general MMORPG.

UWO is out of the box MMORPG.

UWO also have a great PVP system, once you are out of europe, you are everybody's game especially pirates.

The game run a rather harsh penalty system for "bad" pirates where they will lose money by getting their head on bounty base on their notoerity, you can also pirate for your country as a privateer of course.

The PVP here is more like a "tactic" game over then those typical fightning by level. If you know how a level 10 can even sink a level 65 without problem. Of course, it takes a lot of working and money in order to do so, which make this game fun.

none