Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF a fun, sandbox MMO that is highly populated

LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

Sick of theme park mmo's like WoW, Rift, LoTRO (Which I still play casually)

I'm looking for a fun to play sandbox MMO that has a high population. Doesn't have to be free, but it'd be a plus. Thanks!

Comments

• fatboy21007fatboy21007 Member Posts: 409

atm all current *real* sandboxs games are not really populated much. ArcheAge will be out soon  *its not fully sandbox as it has themepark also) but itll be alot of fun. till then check out Xsyon, DarkFall, Mortal Online,Dawntide, This is wats out their for the time being.

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

Vanguard has a lot of sandbox elements, it may be worth a look. Population is on the up and up, from what I've seen.

• LashleyLashley Member UncommonPosts: 587

I'll check those games out.

whats the main features of each game? :)

thanks

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

http://www.loong3d.com/

this is one of the top dogs in china!

was playing gamiga version but i am downloading the chinese version

(yes it is that smooth)

edit:sorry you will need an id of some kind to play this in china,cant they do everything like the rest of the world gees.

so on average no playing the latest version of this game in china.sad to say this ,cause this is an insanelly good game.

maybe the big cahuna that baught the dev that made it will bring it here directly without gpotato or gamigo or other

(okok i know it is a silly dream but we can always hope!)

I can't speak Asian.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

Originally posted by fatboy21007

atm all current *real* sandboxs games are not really populated much. ArcheAge will be out soon  *its not fully sandbox as it has themepark also) but itll be alot of fun. till then check out Xsyon, DarkFall, Mortal Online,Dawntide, This is wats out their for the time being.

Xsyon: post apocalyptic theme, you have nothing and you basicaly try make the most basic of things like tents, baskets, clothes, tools, etc from what is left of the world in huge piles of trash. the setting is in lake Utha i belive. the best features are terraforming (you get to actually shape the land witing your tribe's totem area). very strict eating/sleeping mechanics. it has very little population due to huge server instability problems. pvp is full loot but incredibly simplistic and bland. most of the game is pve crafting stuff. this game is probalby the most sanboxy game of all which actually lets you visibly transform your sorroundings as you gather and collect resources. made a huge splash for about a month before release but hasen't been herd from ever since. population is low.

Darkfall: the biggest open range full loot pvp arena ever. pretty high fantasy mmo.  pvp is the focus of this game wile pvp is mostly for grinding stats and mats. it is probably the most stable and polished of all the other games mentioned here(except EvE). huge seameless world map, fist person and 3rd person combat, capless skill levels (which requries grinding up), some sanbox elements like houses and keeps building in designated spots, boats and naval battles. population is low. pvp is fun but very fps shooter style. if i had to reccomend any of these games i would say try Darkfall. there is a free trial.  

Mortal Online: low fantasy medieval themed mmo (there are mages). fair size open world full loot pvp world with some sandbox options like eating/sleeping, house building, keep building, making armor and weappons. first person view at all times with no 3rd person view option.  this is a pvp focused mmo with crafting and gathering pretty much exclusively to support pvp. unfortunately major nagging bugs and server instability plague this game. pupulation is low. what i consider a dimond in the rough....inside and immense impenetrable rock.....at the bottom of the deepest darkest cave.....ok, ok so you get the idea.  i really cannot reccomend this because of all the buggs STILL plaguing this game.  (damn you SV!) there is a free trial.

i havent'' tried Downtide.

i must add EvE to the list. if you are into full loot pvp, deep space adventure, spaceship battles, mega corporations, player driven economy, you must try EvE. wile not for everyone it's the best space mmo out there and probably the closest thing to a  "sandbox" space mmo.

final note. take some time and view some Youtube clips on each game. you'll learn a lot from just watching those clips. also browse the respective forums and see what people say about each game.

None really interest me, especially with the low pops and the server pvp, i dont wanna be ganked my high lvls whilst lvling

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

there really aren't any strictly pve sandboxes out there. usually that's because sandbox is synonyms with "very few rules" and this translates in "kill anything or anyone any place any time". this is the sort of freedom most sandbox aficionados  crave and love. this full loot free for all pvp setting also adds a great deal of excitment(in the form of danger) to game that would otherwise be , quite frankly, incredibly dull from a strictly pve prospective.

sorry to say but if you want a mostly pve sanbox with the option to pvp on the side you are out of luck.

damn

• SeinaruSeinaru Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 109

There are some, it's just that they're not AAA. For example, RuneScape comes to mind. Great sandbox with optional PvP and a huge player base. But, yeah... it's RuneScape. And I can see from your sig that you've already quit it. I know that there's also Mabinogi which is heavily PvE based (it has PvP but it's not very great). Its playerbase is good but not huge. I'm sure there's more out there.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Eve is really the only  thing that comes to mind.  Whether you consider it fun or not is entirely subjective.  Runescape as well, but you really have to swallow your pride to go back to playing that game.

I'd also recommend Darkfall if you like PvP, but its not a highly populated MMO.  It is fun though.

• TharlogTharlog Member Posts: 36

Saga of Ryzom is probably the closest thing you'll get to a PvE focused sandbox MMO... it's free to play but with a premium option of course.

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

Simple answer, it does not exist. They're all pretty low populated and not much fun, but if you must, i suggest Darkfall, it's the best out there.

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • TacBoyTacBoy Member UncommonPosts: 142

Ryzom and Wurm. A Tale in the Dessert. Xysom. And I'm sure a few others if you look around. However, all of them are low budget indy stuff with low populations.

Despite the number of people that ask for it, nobody really seems to support it. And most of those that do are PvP'rs that want no rules.

• Omega431Omega431 Member UncommonPosts: 92

Uncharted waters online.  Naval sandbox, optional pvp.

• SandaStunnaSandaStunna Member Posts: 101

planet calypso?

I'll check them out, cheers.

Is vanguard a good game?

i am sorry to say that runescape might not be your usual AAA title:but in fact it is a AAA title (in the java world)

you can say ty to this title for all the dev going on in the browser world

prior to that ,browser mmo was the but of the joke!

vanguard has one problem ,soe programmer!

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Lashley

Sick of theme park mmo's like WoW, Rift, LoTRO (Which I still play casually)

I'm looking for a fun to play sandbox MMO that has a high population. Doesn't have to be free, but it'd be a plus. Thanks!

Well populated and sandbox does not go hand in hand..only one exception comes to the mind and that is EVE ONLINE.

Doesn't really matter about pop then. I just want a PVE oriented sanbox MMO. That post apocolyptic one sounded fun (Xsyon), until I saw it has world pvp.

I don't find it fun getting ganked off players who are veterans or have better items, etc

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Lashley

Doesn't really matter about pop then. I just want a PVE oriented sanbox MMO. That post apocolyptic one sounded fun (Xsyon), until I saw it has world pvp.

I don't find it fun getting ganked off players who are veterans or have better items, etc

Try Saga Of Ryzom because i don't know if there is any other PVE sandbox MMO which is not FFA PVP. Fallen Earth is also a good mix of themepark and sandbox MMO.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Ultima Online. Atlantic or Pacific shard for high populations. Some other shards have nice pops too, Catskills is decently populated for instance. The original mmorpg sandbox. Enough to do to keep you busy for many, many years... even if you play constantly. High learning curve due to the many systems in place and the extremely staggering amount of content. Also, you can PvE in peace if you want, and PvP whenever you so choose to. 

UO, is it free?

Does it have world pvp - IE forced pvp?

Also high learning curve? don't like the sounds of that

• Happyguy83Happyguy83 Member Posts: 264

Runescape.