Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com aren't noticing the game

tochicooltochicool Member Posts: 153

There haven't even given it a review, or talked about new, recent, updates. It's like they just archived the game for the sake of it all. I think they should atleast give it a review and a PROPER rating. It's one of the reasons this game isn't noticed.

FEEL THE FULL
FREE-TO-FLAME
FANTASY.

Comments

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think people notice this game. They just pass on it because it's pay-to-win.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• tochicooltochicool Member Posts: 153

Have you accually played this game? When did you play it?

I'm enjoying all sides of the game without spending anthing but time. The only reason I would even think about buying gPots is to suport the game.

FEEL THE FULL
    FREE-TO-FLAME
    FANTASY.

• Omega431Omega431 Member UncommonPosts: 92

I just started playing yesterday. Seems kindof fun, one big thing i like so far is how my sorc can pre-cast certain spells. So far i dont see how it can be Pay-To-Win, but im determined to get as far as i can without paying just to test it. I want to see if what alot of ppl say is true or not. But so far, im having a blast!

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by tochicool

I'm enjoying all sides of the game without spending anthing but time. The only reason I would even think about buying gPots is to suport the game.

No, I have not, though I have thought about it. And then I read about the rune (or gem? I don't quite remember) system. Unless they've changed it siginificantly the game is still pay-to-win. Convince me and I might give it a try.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Omega431

I just started playing yesterday. Seems kindof fun, one big thing i like so far is how my sorc can pre-cast certain spells. So far i dont see how it can be Pay-To-Win, but im determined to get as far as i can without paying just to test it. I want to see if what alot of ppl say is true or not. But so far, im having a blast!

What triple A mmorpg is it most similar to, and in which ways? In which ways is it different? 

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

game was good when they didnt open the cash shop and the exp rate was normal.

After it opened the cash shop and increased the exprate like 2-3x on higher lvl-good bye!

{mod edit}

• gracefieldgracefield Member UncommonPosts: 279

Have just re-visited this game and they have re-vamped the rune system that they were using. Previously, it was only really of benefit to upgrade quality gear later in the game. Now, you can benefit from powerful, cash shop runes from early on, so it's more of an earner for them. THey no longer apply to weapons or gear but to the character himself/herself. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that, you just have to be comfortable with the concept and the cost.

The game itself has an initial veneer of attraction. It looks very good and plays very smoothly. I can run it on max on my fairly modest system. But the cons include a very fragmented feel - each area is very distinct from its neighbour - they are all little islands or 'Allods' - and it gives a very disjointed feel to the game in my opinion. The quests are also terrible, they are repetitive and terribly boring. There is an awful kill quest involved in order to open the teleporter in each area and it's enough to drive you insane.

The game is grindy, there is no doubt about that, and it's very dark and depressing in many of the areas too, not very uplifting. Also, the population  seems to be sharply declining.

End of the day, it's still worth a shot, it might appeal to some people, it's not beyond redemption, but I do think you'll eventually be asking yourself, "why..?".

And btw, there is forced PVP in a portion of the game too, which puts a lot of people off.

Originally posted by Kaerigan

No, I have not, though I have thought about it. And then I read about the rune (or gem? I don't quite remember) system. Unless they've changed it siginificantly the game is still pay-to-win. Convince me and I might give it a try.

If your a casual player and not all hard-cored into leveling up as fast as possible then you'll enjoy it. Runes are bought, with gold, from an NPC at level one but to be conbine, for a higher level, you need cystal chips via the cash shop or auction house. The new renaissance update now allows you to trade gPots and gain them through events or something, not sure.

Allods Online is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game, set in the fantasy space opera universe of Sarnaut.

It is the fourth opus of the Rage of Mages series which started in the mid-90s, conquering the minds of millions of gamers around the world, and covers over 12 years of storyline in the making.

You can choose to enter the deep storyline, puzzling out relationships between the two factions at war, races and characters, and plumbing the depths of the mysteries at work in this unique setting. Or you can focus on developing your character, maximising his abilities, crafting, getting very rare items and enchanting them via the runes system to become the best in both duels and space Astral battle ship battles.

Throughout the game, you will discover and fight your way in dungeons, castles and temples as a raid or as a group.

At high level, you can build your own Astral space ship and take off to explore the Astral with your party, looking for adventures, raids or if you want, become a pirate and board other ships to steal their loot. You will also discover many unique encounters such as Astral demons, ship versus ship battles, boarding other ships or even just annoying them during your journeys in the Astral.

The guild system greatly increases your opportunities and enhances your game experience in co-operative game play through specific raid encounters, some even being contested.

Whether you enjoy solo questing and discovering a world with lots of player versus environment content, or bashing other players with the player versus player mechanisms (and of course the ship versus ship in the Astral space), Allods Online is a lot of fun for all kinds of players. You can always stand aside all battles and just meet your friends in game and chitchat about whatever you like.

It is all up to you.

Allods Online has no subscription fees and you can play as long as you wish. All you need is a gPotato.eu account.

FEEL THE FULL
    FREE-TO-FLAME
    FANTASY.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

This game had some huge buzz until they implemented the CS.   I think the death debuff killed the population at launch.

• YarunaYaruna Member Posts: 342

Oh no, it's not the implementation if the Cash Shop that killed the population. First there was implementation of CS, that wasn't too bad at all back then, quite the contrary many people wanted to buy something, almost anything, to support the GREAT game it once was.

The first real decline in number of players came with the Fear of Death mechanic (nerfing your stats). You needed to pay in game gold upon death to be released from it's effect, or wait it out (48 minutes at level 40 IIRC), or have a CS item (Incense or Perfume back then) that avoided FoD altogether. Let's say that maybe 10 to 20 percent of players left the game over this.

The big hit, ironically, came with the removal of the FoD mechanic and it's replacement with the cursed items mechanic (Gipat patch). This left maybe the game at about 20 to 30 percent of the pre-patchl population though I hear some servers were hit less badly than others. The outcry from the player base was like nothing I've ever witnessed before. Whether the publisher or the developer or both are really to blame for this debacle, is another matter. It did happen though and it was a serious mistake to say the least. Cursed items meant that upon death there was a chance to curse your gear, requiring a CS scroll to remove the effect. Prevention of the curse was also possible but required another CS item that would be used upon death, whether you'd have gotten one or more items cursed or not.

The Gipat patch dramatically increased the required experience to level (more than double what it was before at higher levels), but the added quests didn't quite make up for that increase. This introduced some grind to be able to level before opening up quests again, something that the quest driven game hadn't seen before.

Furthermore monsters were buffed considerably, you could get a similar buff, but only with a CS item from level 35 onwards. Lower levels could get it through a daily quest then. So higher levels were forced to pay or be nerfed beyond belief.

The effect of runes was also increased, which made it not only forced to pay, but also pay even more to actually win.

Luckily those horrible days are far behind us. The item to prevent curse (holy carams) is free to buy in the Cash Shop. The Incense can be obtained each day through a quest (less than 10 minutes) and lasts for 24 hours. Furthermore most of the effects of Incense are now permanently available without using incense. So you're no longer nerfed to pieces without it. If 10 minutes of your time each day is too much then you just have to forget astral heroics (end game), for all practical purposes. This means you won't be able to get to the best gear in the game and you won't be able to reach level cap (47).

The runes are still there, so you either buy chips to upgrade them in the CS or in the Auction House.

Many players who experienced the Gipat patch have vowed to never play a Gala-net hosted game ever again over this debacle. Gala-net actually denied the effect of the changes on the player base for a while and tried to silence the uproar. That did not work out too well (the lying GM's sought out other companies) and I believe the rather mediocre rating this game is getting is caused mostly by haters who don't know how the game plays now. When I look at the ratings of some of the other games out there that I actually played, I believe this game deserves better. Whether it will ever get to a just rating again is another matter entirely.

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, and maybe SWTOR until that time...

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

This site was all about Allods when it first came out. They even had an item database here. But when the cash shop came, it all sorta fell off.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173

Originally posted by Foomerang

This site was all about Allods when it first came out. They even had an item database here. But when the cash shop came, it all sorta fell off.

This... I believe they had a networked site just for allods.... pretty amazing since they've never done that for a game before.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

I was in love with Allods and had even started a fan-site.  When a developer outright lies to your face, it's difficult to forgive.  When the Gipat patch came out and in a live dev chat where players were crying out their concerns, they flat out lied and said, "Players aren't quitting, everything is awesome!" while all of your friends are uninstalling...something is wrong. Damage hasn't changed...holy charms are better! All the while, everything was worse! People that were playing suddenly couldn't even kill a single mob without purchasing something from the cash shop!

They basically admitted they broke the game by eventually reversing a ton of what Gipat broke...all the while never acknowledging fault or deciet.  

Also, this is from personal experience: When cash shop items are lost due to bugs and glitches and they refuse to refund your money...it's time to bail.

Even if the game is 100% fixed, if you don't trust a developer you don't play the game. End of story.

I know this sounds harsh, and perhaps new players will never experience these issues.  I cannot forget them, unfortunatly.  My Orc Paladin and handful of gPotatoes will remain covered with dust.

Many sites hyped the game back then and were severly burned by what they did with the Gipat patch. I suppose they haven't forgiven Mail.ru and Gala-net for what happened.

As to what AAA MMO it resembles most. I've heard "Hey, this is just like WoW!" quite a few times in zone chat. I haven't played WoW so I wouldn't say something like that. The graphical style is no doubt quite WoW'ish from what I've seen from WoW. The world is smaller though and is spread out over astral islands (Allods). So there is no large seamless world out there. On the up side I believe WoW doesn't even have Astral ships (Spelljammer anyone?), so it does have some unique things you even won't find in WoW.

Edit: typos.

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

*snip*

Also, this is from personal experience: When cash shop items are lost due to bugs and glitches and they refuse to refund your money...it's time to bail.

*snip*

Most f2p companies have something like this in their policy. They state they don't have to refund you, but some do from time to time in some cases. When you were playing it was still open beta so the bugs were likely to be more plentiful. If the item you lost is valuable, then I can understand you being quite upset over this. Some people even wanted to see charms they lost refunded if they died through lag or a monster resetting on them or whatever. They would, somewhat understandably if you've dealt with other f2p companies, have little luck with claims like that. I haven't heard of CS items getting lost much, certainly not since the game was officialy released, but I gather you stopped playing quite a bit before that happened.

• LatellaLatella Member Posts: 189

I used to play this game, and had a lot of fun. Then the patches came.

I find it hard to even think to go back to it now, no matter how much they improve/correct their previous mistakes because NOTHING is going to stop them from doing it again whenever it suits them.

Sure, they may not do another disaster of such magnitude, but we all agree on that they think it´s fine to lie and to scam, and thus just because right now they aint doing so to save their skins, does not mean as soon as they stabilize, they wont try to do it again.

Rawr.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Whats there to notice?

Horrid Cash shop?

Open Beta for a year?

Thick headed game designer? Cursed items....really? or whatever they the cash grabbing mechanics name into. Incense, curse items, runes, whatever

I like the character design and art style, but the gamepaly is just so bad, I would hate to put a reviewer into playing this game for a week or so and destroy his humanity.

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Originally posted by xKingdomx

*snip*

I like the character design and art style, but the gamepaly is just so bad, I would hate to put a reviewer into playing this game for a week or so and destroy his humanity.

So anybody who plays this game for a week or more is no longer human? We're not overreacting now, are we?

Originally posted by Latella

I used to play this game, and had a lot of fun. Then the patches came.

I find it hard to even think to go back to it now, no matter how much they improve/correct their previous mistakes because NOTHING is going to stop them from doing it again whenever it suits them.

Sure, they may not do another disaster of such magnitude, but we all agree on that they think it´s fine to lie and to scam, and thus just because right now they aint doing so to save their skins, does not mean as soon as they stabilize, they wont try to do it again.

The Russians warned us about the FoD and the Gipat patches, we just thought Mail.ru would have learnt from the disaster they caused back on the Russian servers. Apparently they didn't and because the game recovered in Russia they thought, why change the patch route, the game will recover n the US too. Unfortunately a lot of people hold grudges against Gala-net who had the whole thing forced on them by Mail.ru. The lies by two GM's tick me off too, I stoppped playing for 3 months after Gipat. Both GM's have left not only the game but also the company now.

I can't blame you for mistrusting the people behind the game, but that doesn't mean it's a bad game, far from it. If you've played f2p games before you probably know that support isn't exactly what they excel at.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Yaruna

Originally posted by xKingdomx

*snip*

So anybody who plays this game for a week or more is no longer human? We're not overreacting now, are we?

Well considering the reviewer has to write a proper review on the game, thus have to finish the most of its content by one week, yeah you practically won't be a human by the end of it, either a brainwash skeleton or empty wallet soul-waster.

:P image

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

Under those conditions I wouldn't wish for anyone to have to review any MMO worthy of the name.

Still, I'm going to start a reincarnation soon, so I'll get to experience the game pretty much from scratch all over again. A different class of course, I'm probably going to take up mage. I doubt it'll be all that bad, even with less xp on the reincarnation on a 10 percent XP-penalty upon death. It should be a nice opportunity to evaluate if this game is as bad as some seem to think.

I only vowed to never pay Gala-net real money ever again after the Gipat debacle. It's working out quite well so far. I've been tempted, but haven't succumbed yet...

Learn to forgive.

FEEL THE FULL
    FREE-TO-FLAME
    FANTASY.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by gracefield

Have just re-visited this game and they have re-vamped the rune system that they were using. Previously, it was only really of benefit to upgrade quality gear later in the game. Now, you can benefit from powerful, cash shop runes from early on, so it's more of an earner for them. THey no longer apply to weapons or gear but to the character himself/herself. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that, you just have to be comfortable with the concept and the cost.

The game itself has an initial veneer of attraction. It looks very good and plays very smoothly. I can run it on max on my fairly modest system. But the cons include a very fragmented feel - each area is very distinct from its neighbour - they are all little islands or 'Allods' - and it gives a very disjointed feel to the game in my opinion. The quests are also terrible, they are repetitive and terribly boring. There is an awful kill quest involved in order to open the teleporter in each area and it's enough to drive you insane.

The game is grindy, there is no doubt about that, and it's very dark and depressing in many of the areas too, not very uplifting. Also, the population  seems to be sharply declining.

End of the day, it's still worth a shot, it might appeal to some people, it's not beyond redemption, but I do think you'll eventually be asking yourself, "why..?".

And btw, there is forced PVP in a portion of the game too, which puts a lot of people off.

VERY much so. Nothing says "find another game" like being repeatedly one or two shotted by bored higher levels.   Couple that with their earlier cash shop antics, and its just not my type of game. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ChimpsChimps Member Posts: 192

Only game i like from Gpotato is Flyff. I had some good times in that game it was like my first ever mmorpg.

I remember how fascinated i was by the flying in the game and how much i wanted to fly and i kept getting so exciting thinking about it.

Haha it was so cool back then and now it's like meh.

I sometimes go back to Flyff and remember some good ol times.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

There haven't even given it a review, or talked about new, recent, updates. It's like they just archived the game for the sake of it all. I think they should atleast give it a review and a PROPER rating. It's one of the reasons this game isn't noticed.

if i recall this subject was mentionned in the past.if the game isnt avail for review and they cant speak to anyone not much mmorpg.com can do

a lot of people dont know there is other website aside from youtube and google!