Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF Game with good population, that's not a WoW clone

ChemcalChemcal Member Posts: 32

That's my critiera... I need a solid game, that has a good interactive population, and not a clone of wow. 

Played EverQuest for eyars and miss it greatly.

WoW, played it due to lack of nothing better

DDO sucked

FFXIV sucked

RIFT Sucked

Aion Sucked

And a slew of trials and F2P's....

I got a kick out of minecraft but the long term isn't there for me.

Comments

• revajinrevajin Member Posts: 21

Everquest 2

EVE Online

City of Heroes

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

FFXI

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Everquest 2 - Free Server so nothing to lose...

EVERYONE is waiting for something new... SW TOR will be released soon and I expect it will be just like RIFT.  HUGE at first with all the hype but end up falling behind like everything else.

Also, at least be honest, I've yet to see anyone give a good reason why they hate on WoW so much.  Game was good, sure after 6+ years of playing it things get old and time to move on.  I only mention this because you commented on "WoW - For lack of anything else"

• scarletfire1scarletfire1 Member Posts: 1

aika online

know that this was the first time that ive played a online game, ive also tried prius. but got tierd/bored of it, but still love aika. 

if ur looking for a game with pvp, then look no furthur cuz u have found it. the relics wars(nation wars), battle arena, and the good old pure ganking will allways keep u busy. if ur not in the mood of pvp'ing then u can allways follow the story line and do the quests, which are very fun to do, with all the free stuff u get from them:)  

like i said this was the first online game i have ever played, i dident know anything at the start but all the ppl in the game were helpful. 

so guys and girls give the game a try and get hooked, i know i did. if u do decide to play, come to lenaria cuz thats where the funs at:3 

oh forgot to mention that this is prolly the only game that will allow u to have/ can handle a 1000 Vs 1000 battle:O, even though it had just absolutely gorgeous graphics. and yes the prans(ur pet/daughter/partner) are just the cutest, love them. 

Uneesa-Rifle Man of LENARIA

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

LoTRO. Massive world, lots to explore, lots to do, great environments, great story and a friendly player base.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by skeaser

LoTRO. Massive world, lots to explore, lots to do, great environments, great story and a friendly player base.

I agree with this ^_^. But, it is considered a Wow Clone. from the initail post im not sure mmos are for you to be honest=(

• ChemcalChemcal Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Painlezz

Everquest 2 - Free Server so nothing to lose...

EVERYONE is waiting for something new... SW TOR will be released soon and I expect it will be just like RIFT.  HUGE at first with all the hype but end up falling behind like everything else.

Also, at least be honest, I've yet to see anyone give a good reason why they hate on WoW so much.  Game was good, sure after 6+ years of playing it things get old and time to move on.  I only mention this because you commented on "WoW - For lack of anything else"

I looked into EQ2 today after seeing people post that on here a few times, my two major draw backs on it..... The population seems to be dried up, and it's an old MMO on a franchise attempting to renew itself. 

I have no faith in SWTOR, i'd give my laundry list rant, but I just spent an hour tearing into a fan boi on facebook why that game will suck... Abridged version, it's a story line based mmo, that's taking it's cues from WoW and a franchise game that's appealing to the fans and not the players.

WoW was a good "game"... it wasn't a life style such as the 1st generation MMO's. It grew old quickly and Blizzards dangeling of the loot carrot in front of it's players gets old after that amount of time. The game quickly turned from exploring and adventure to reading Elitist Jerks forums on how to play your character or else stuck being a sub par player that scratching the bottom of the barrel.  WoW is predictable, and took away the massive multiplayer and turned it into a massive single player game, with a giant chat room, and raiding to 10man dungeon running (not crawl, run). WoW ruined the industry.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

It looks like you are after a good PvE game and WoW/Rift are the best two out there. Unfortunately, neither of them offer a lot to the older EQ fans so we are stuck waiting for something new to come along. EVE is probably the best PvP game on the market, but the PvE is a joke.

I finally broke down and joined some friends in EQ2 again while waiting for EQ Next and I just don't see any other quality PvE games coming out anytime soon.

Originally posted by Akiye

I agree with this ^_^. But, it is considered a Wow Clone. from the initail post im not sure mmos are for you to be honest=(

They're probably not.... In my above post, I like to play games with a myriad of people and partake on adventures and slay dragons with them.... not play a game by myself for months on end, to reach an apex with only 9 other people by playing a game similar to DDR on the keyboard.

Originally posted by Murashu

It looks like you are after a good PvE game and WoW/Rift are the best two out there. Unfortunately, neither of them offer a lot to the older EQ fans so we are stuck waiting for something new to come along. EVE is probably the best PvP game on the market, but the PvE is a joke.

I finally broke down and joined some friends in EQ2 again while waiting for EQ Next and I just don't see any other quality PvE games coming out anytime soon.

Atleast you understand where I'm coming from.... In the past couple days, after breaking down and getting chrome for angry birds I found this little gem http://www.realmofthemadgod.com/ it's the closest thing I've played to an MMO since the release of wow. It's ridicoulsly simple and fun. Don't expect much, unless you think 8bit graphics and 2 button controls are mind blowing.

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by Chemcal

They're probably not.... In my above post, I like to play games with a myriad of people and partake on adventures and slay dragons with them.... not play a game by myself for months on end, to reach an apex with only 9 other people by playing a game similar to DDR on the keyboard.

Im just going by the list you made. If everyone you played sucked not sure there is one out at this time you would like. Plus you do realize people do play these games togather right? ^_^

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I looked into EQ2 today after seeing people post that on here a few times, my two major draw backs on it..... The population seems to be dried up, and it's an old MMO on a franchise attempting to renew itself. 

Depends on which server you try. I just rerolled some toons on Butcherblock with some old EQ friends and it is pretty active. Obviously the F2P servers are more populated, but so far I am quite happy with the population of BB. We get groups every night for dungeons, raids are forming all the time in global chat, something is always being sold in the auction channel. It's actually quite refreshing after spending a few weeks playing AoC and VG trials.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Nothing gives that as much as EQ1 but LOTRO has lots of it. For example, around the late teens/early twenties there are a few areas full of signature (think elite) mobs that give great rep items, decent loot drops and also are needed to complete some deeds. It's no issue to get a group to grind on those for a while, right after that you should be up to start running the first games dungeon The Great Barrow and skirmishes.

Skirmishes are scripted instances that can be done solo or by group. Grouping yields greater rewards so there are alway groups available at any level. I'd be fairly confident in saying that you could likely level from 20-65 by doing the skirmishes, instances and other random group work, if you were so inclined only having to solo to 20 (doesn't take long). The skirmishes are also built to scale to a small group if you can't get a full one.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Omega431Omega431 Member UncommonPosts: 92

Uncharted Waters Online - Naval MMO that is totally not a wow clone, brings back the good ole days for me where you work for what you want... not have it handed to ya.

Also i would have to agree with Lotro, really good game.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

ya im really missing something with the LotRO = WoW clone, i didn't find it to be that way at all /shrug

Vanguard is quite different and SoE is talking about development on this title now that SWG has gone the way of the dodo.

if you dont mind asian games ive found ARGO Online to be pretty light fun.

Dragon Nest is a nice combo of Fate and Diablo.

other than that EQ2 is a solid choice. both that and Vanguard have more content than you could complete in a year. i like EQ2 b/c there's always something different going on.

ive just started Aion, which you didn't like, and while ive just ascended it does seem to be a WoW clone with wings and the focus on endgame. at least so far. so i sympathize there.

how about Fallen Earth? its real different and its about to f2p, although if you find a cheap copy of the Blood Sports boxed edition on ebay or such, like for 10bucks, then you get some fun bene's while awaiting the switch over to f2p, plus the ever present 'get 30 days free with purchase'.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

I'm curious about EQ2, Vangaurd and LOTRO... Is dated content worth exploring, killing blowing up for more than just the "I killed so and so"?

EQ players would know what I"m talking about, Old world content was still a viable source of gear and leveling, it just wasn't peak but still usable.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Id suggest World of Warcraft. It has a huge population and its not a WoW clone.

Originally posted by Foomerang

Yea, but it really tailors to the type of gamer that want's everything for nothing, there's no challenge in that game, and there's so many times you can spank it to a dancing blood elf while prepubescent boys listen into you on ventrilo. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang
    Yea, but it really tailors to the type of gamer that want's everything for nothing, there's no challenge in that game, and there's so many times you can spank it to a dancing blood elf while prepubescent boys listen into you on ventrilo. 

yeesh thats brutal. Fallen Earth is a nice change of pace.

I think I tried Fallen Earth, if its the one I'm thinking of it didn't seemed refined and kind of sloshed together.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I'm curious about EQ2, Vangaurd and LOTRO... Is dated content worth exploring, killing blowing up for more than just the "I killed so and so"?

EQ players would know what I"m talking about, Old world content was still a viable source of gear and leveling, it just wasn't peak but still usable.

VG doesnt have good population, LoTRO is kinda WoW clone. EQ2 and Age of Conan would be your best bet. EQ2 has about the most variety of things to do among all MMOs and very healthy population on free server, but I hate its combat system. Combat is where AoC shines