Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not Actually LGBT-friendly

2»

Comments

• minchet456minchet456 Member Posts: 42

It seems to me this thread shoud be renamed  "Im LGBT and everyone should care about that." Im sorry, but it doesnt make you anymore important. Im not going to shower you with special guild tools and gifts. Im just going to treat you like every other troll/orc/human/high elf/wood elf/night elf/ whatever in the game.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

I have absolutely nothing against gays of any sort but complaining a game isn't friendly/caters towards you is sorta of dumb. Its the same thing for guilds that are religion oriented or ethnic orientated. Sorry but it just doesn't make much sense. Your sexual orientation doesn't make you different from anyone else. It doesn't determine you personalit or who you are as a person. Please get over yourself.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

Originally posted by gracefield

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Originally posted by Kyleran

I dislike when guild members discuss anything in real life, be it their drinking habits, favorite sports teams and now, I guess, sexual orientation.

I join gaming guilds to talk about gaming, and pretty much that's all I want to hear about on vent or in chat channels. Keep your personal lives out of my gaming.

This.

When I'm playing a game, I could care less about who you are outside of game.  If I'm in a dungeon with you, the only thing I care about is whether you're playing your role properly.  Who and what you like to fuck doesn't matter, and the simple fact that you think it should is just begging for drama and attention.  You're not going to hear me go on and on in chat about my beliefs and sex life, I don't want to hear you go on about it either

I see the charm school was a waste of time then...

regardless, I dont' think he's off the mark at all.

I dont' talk to strangers about anything I like to do that might get a raised eyebrow because it's different. I don't see why others feel the need to do it either.

It only invites drama. Though I am aware that some people seek this type of thing.

Heck, my cousin is gay and you would have never known it unless you asked him or saw him with his boyfriend. He just lived his life the way he wanted to.

Some guilds do tend to talk a lot and I can concede that if people are saying "I took my girlfriend to the movies" and someone wanted to say that they took their same sex partner to the same movie then for some people that could be an issue.

So I will concede that a person should have the right to advertise a LGBT guild with the idea of not being persecuted if they happen to mention that they took their partner to dinner or some such thing.

But getting into any more detail is, in my opinioin, tackly.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • mlambert890mlambert890 Member UncommonPosts: 136

Pretty ironic that everyone here who is taking issue with the OP is assuming that an LGBT guild is about people going on and on about their sex lives.

Thats exactly the kind of prejudice that drives folks to *create* these groups.

An LGBT guild is about people not wanting to hear immature and ignorant morons using the term "gay" over and over again to describe anything their sadly limited vocabularies otherwise fail on.

The OP isnt suggesting that *the game developers* should be doing something different.  The OP is simply warning that the *game community* is insensitive. 

I think the post is fair assuming its true.  Sure one can be the trail blazer that "starts the first guild", but if the community in general is juvenille, ignorant and bigoted, why bother?

I know this is hard for adolescent straight males to wrap their minds around, but using the word 'gay' as a pejorative continually is offensive to people and they don't want to hear it.  They also dont want to hear you joking about "fags" 24x7.

The few "power gamers" here pretending they are "serious no nonsense" types who are "pure game bro!" are, IMO, among the absolute worst offenders.  Im straight, but the power gaming guilds I was a member of in EQ, EQ2 and WoW were *by far* the worst.  The biggest problem is they were completely unconsciously incompetent.  In *their* minds they were just "ALL BUSINESS BRO!", no discussion about "BS" like what you ate for dinner or your kids.  PURE GAME MAN!  Like a JOB.  Yet *everything* was "gay" this, "fag" that, all the time. 

Thats what the OP is referring to for those who dont "get it".  It isnt about getting or wanting "special treatment".  it's about *not* being exposed to offensive, distasteful and insensitive rambling.

Anyone who is going to say "yeah well toughen up!", head to downtown Detroit and start dropping N bombs left and right.  As you fade into unconsciousness tell those guys to just "toughen up"  A big percentage of the gamer community is middle class, adolescent straight white males shielded by annonymity.  As a result, homophobia and even misogyny are just reflexive.  You wont hear the "N word" b/c they are afraid of that one, but with everything else its open season.   And before anyone goes into convulsions, "big percentage' doesnt mean EVERYONE and if it doesnt mean YOU then dont be offended.  No one who has played MMOs for any length of time can argue, however, that they arent VERY frequently a horribly hostile place for women and LGBT's.  Unless said folks have a "thick skin" (meaning simply ignoring or accepting any amount of insulting and distasteful discussion)

So the executive summary is that if you're thinking "whats the big deal!?  keep your private business to yourself!  and ok, sure sometimes someone says 'shut up fag!' but they dont MEAN it that way and its NO BIG DEAL!"  Then you are missing the point because thats *exactly* what the big deal is for LGBT folks. 

I completely understand why LGBT folks seek out a safe harbor and would never question that.