Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Games That Should Be MMOs

MMORPG.com's own Managing Editor, Bill Murphy, is stepping up to the plate with his list this week to bring us his list of Five Games (or game franchises) who are well deserving of the MMO Treatment. Does Bill's list make sense to you? Think it might be different if you had the reins? Take a look at this week's list and let us know what you think in the Forums!

Crazily enough a lot has happened since then in this industry, and some of his selections have even been made into MMOs. Age of Empires Online and Battlefield being two titles that already have MMOs on the market (or close to it in AoE’s case), with Neverwinter Nights, Starcraft and Left 4 Dead seeing life in other forms. Neverwinter is being made by Cryptic, Starcraft Universe by some intrepid SC2 modders, and L4D is having a spiritual MMO-shooter developed by Undead Labs. So with that in mind, this week let’s take a look at some other games that should be made into MMOs and pontificate on what such games might look like.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The List: Five Games That Should Be MMOs.

Comments

• anthonyman6anthonyman6 Member UncommonPosts: 73

I love Elder Scrolls, but I disagree with it being an MMO.

• dogdersROCdogdersROC Member UncommonPosts: 21

1. Elder Scrolls Online - As a fan of the TES series, I would hate it going the mmo route since the single player versions would probably suffer.  Probably too big an undertaking to do it justice.

2. Faerun Online - None of that instanced crap, a real sandboxed world. The best developed and lore heavy world AD&D had to offer. Loses appeal each year that passes, now only old fogeys will clamor for it.

3. Battletech/Mechwarrior Online - Why why why... not. Shouldve been the greatest fps mmo ever. Potential was endless.

4. Sims Online Reboot - no brainer, if second life could make it so big, the sims had built in fanbase ready for it. I wouldnt play it, but my lil sister would.

5. Total War Online - Everyones computers would melt as 1 million units wage war 24/7.

Deus Ex has no real following although I enjoyed the games, there was no history or lore to flesh out a world. Halo I played once on console, wasnt impressed. Love Fallout but the whole post apocalyptic setting gets old fast. Red Dead? You gotta be kidding me.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

Of these 5, I'm only a fan of Fallout.  I'd love to see Fallout, but I'd much rather see X:Com get the MMO treatment.  The others, you can keep.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896

Oh yeah, I NEED a Red Dead Redemption MMO. Sandbox game where you wander the west. Good crafting possibilites. Lawmen vs. outlaws. I just loved this game and it would make the best, most unique MMO on this list.

• Dru72Dru72 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 57

Would dearly love to see the Fallout mmo. Since trying out New Vegas for the first time last week, that game has me hooked :)

• hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

well we are probably getting a fallout mmo, and i agree the elder scrolls needs to be an mmo, to me oblivion was a mmo just without the people, it played like a mmo, even more so than most mmos do today.  it is a true sandbox game, you can do just about anything.  maybe in the next year or so we will see it.

faerun--- yes that is what dnd should of been not eberron, too bad wotc will never allow it to happen, their goal for dnd is to kill off the old worlds and push their own little world down everyones throats, that is why i quit playing dnd.  ive wanted to play in faerun as a open ended game every since salvatore wrote the crystal shard, the single player dnd games just never did it for me, i want a open world to go explore.

battletech--- cant figure out why noone has tried this one yet.

champions---  i would like to see a champions online done right, not what cryptic put out.  that was the best rpg game system ever imo and too bad they let cryptic put the game out.

star trek--- once again too bad cryptic got it, it could of been so much better.

asherons call 3--- keep most of the gameplay from asherons call and update the graphics to todays standards, this is the mmo that i have wanted since 2004, that is all turbine has to do imo to make a big splash in the mmo water.

• AlalalaAlalala Member UncommonPosts: 314
    After the announced shutdown of SWG, I'd love to see (and would pay a lot for) a good Star Wars MMO. Oh, and if that game is yet another WoW clone, well forget it.
  • DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344

All good choices, I loved the Mass Effect games. I would have put that in the list.

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Yeah, mass effect is a glaring omission. 

Baldur's Gate is another. 

My personal list would be:

1.  Fallout

2.  Starcraft

3.  Syndicate

4.  Baldur's Gate

5.  Jagged Alliance

I mean, Star Wars isn't really a brand of game, but if i had to pick one star wars GAME to inspire an MMO, then it would be Rebellion - set in modern era, with planetary control, massive fleet and ground battles, heroes on ships or on ground... etc.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by Senadina

Oh yeah, I NEED a Red Dead Redemption MMO. Sandbox game where you wander the west. Good crafting possibilites. Lawmen vs. outlaws. I just loved this game and it would make the best, most unique MMO on this list.

Totally Agree.  They just added some new multiplayer content for Red Dead.

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

My list would be:

1. Heroes of Might and Magic, a MMO reincarnation of the series in some form of game which is a better P2P Atlantica Online

2. Silent Hill - a storyline focused MMO with the Silent Hill-ish atmosphere

3. Dune - a pvp oriented MMO sandbox game with control zones and resource management - spice, water etc

4. Tomb Raider - a gear centric dungeon crawling MMO

5. Prince of Persia - an action MMO

• AhrienAhrien Member UncommonPosts: 18

Where is Mass Effect in this list? If a game is asking to be MMOized, that is Mass Effect!

• JammaslamJammaslam Member Posts: 265

I think that the original list is good, how about these additions though:

1.  Pokemon

2.  Reboot of Ultima series

3.  Assassins Creed

4.  Gothic

5.  Just Cause

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

TES?! Really?! Co op would be great, but please no MMORPG.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

anything set in Faerun with 3.5 ruleset, which will never happen. 4.0 is built to be an mmo ruleset so....

definitely TES

while i wouldnt be interested personally i think a red dead mmo would garner a profitable if small userbase.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

crap can't edit:

i would LOVe to see a real steampunk mmo with gadget creation similar to what GW2 apparently is going to do with armor and weapons, flying ships, steampowered mounts and vehicles, the whole shebang.

however, which steampunk IP to use? no clue, anyone got any suggestions?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• sachy55sachy55 Member Posts: 42

deus ex is in my mind the best game of all timer ever, no exceptions. the story sucked you in with the ever thickening plot of conspiracys and differnet players never knowing which side to trust or not. and then there was the sandbox style gameplay, it made you feel like your actions had consequences and could  lead to differen outcomes. im sure this is why they chose the name roughly translated god in the machine, the game felt alive and vibrant, not just a linear point and click exercise.

so why on earth would this be suited to a themepark style gameplay. the original is held in such high regard and still makes many all time top game lists becuase its gameplay was the antithesis of themepark. yes the whole biomod thing would lend itself well to an mmo, but if it was to be done it should be done so everyone is unique and not a cookie cutter clone. no game has even come close to replicating the atmosphere and scope of deus a 10+ year old game, a sad enditement of the industrys lack of ambition. with it being so popular for this reason it should be a no brainer for a company to try and do something similar but it seems game like bioshock, supposed 'spiritual succesors' to deus ex just cop out and decide to make more corridor fps games.

i dont know what the the author was thinking or even if he played deus ex , but to say it would be suited to a thempark style game play is just sad. themepark style gameplay is the slow death of mmo's it will be replaced by sandbox as more consumers grow tired of grind kill  xyz courier quests, and do a funny dance with 20 other people instance/dungeon grind. grand theft auto was an example of 'sandbox' for consoles albeit in a limited form, you could do what you want where you wanted and go off beaten track so to speak, and it spawned a thousand imitators. once mmo's get a sandbox hit like consoles get got with grand theft auto things wll change, already the word sandbox gets thrown around much more than it did a few years ago, people are becoming aware of different styles of gameplay and not to be satisfied with dumbed down gameplay. lets hope more companys and gamers aspire to something more or we could have more decades of kill kill ten rats gameplay.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

If these companies tried to make these games an MMO, they'd wind up stripping out most of the unique, interesting parts of the game, except the graphics, slapping a PvP systems on top of it, trying to make that crowd happy, claim that the PvE is still there and strong while recycling the same quests we see in the other games, over and over again. I also forgot the buggy as heck release. Don't get me wrong. I'd love to see some strong series go MMO but the process seems to suck the soul out of franchises.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I'm not really interested in the HALO universe so giving that IP the modern "MMO treatment" doesn't phase me a bit. It'd be another themepark I wouldn't miss.

As for the others, if given a Sandpark (95% sand, 5% park) build or a complete sandbox (where the developers actually understand the usage of the word "sand" in sandbox) I'd be interested in subscribing.

Deus Ex would be the closest thing to a Shadowrun type game which would be interesting for me. I've always liked the premise of "Man-meets-Machine", though there wouldn't be the addition of magic like in SR.

Fallout would rock if they took the time to incorporate an all encompassing crafting system with which you could make use of the "trash" you found out in the wasteland. It'd also have to have the ability (built in, not just spamming rights in chat) for groups to band together and take ownership of areas of wasteland. Like in Eve. Additionally, the developers would have to "get over" this useless idea of not having "useless" land space. There needs to be TONS of open desert space that "doesn't have a purpose" other than claimable area for players and random spawn nodes for mobs.

Red Dead Redemption...I'm kinda meh on. If it wasn't done as a themepark I'd give it a try. I'd be more interested if it was a Dead Lands MMO done as a sand(95%)park(5%) or flatout sandbox style MMO.

As for TES, only if it was done sandbox style. I have played entirely too many fantasy (swords and sorcery, dwarves and elves, etc.) based MMOs now that are themeparks and I'm bored with them. So, if they aren't making it so that I just just mine ore and make armor all day (with at least a couple hundred of each category of armor (light, medium, heavy) with a choice between metal and leather where there are different kinds of metal and leather that give different properties), I'm not really interested. This old warrior has swung his sword and saved the realm plenty of times in the past. Now I'd just like to settle down with a lusty wench and make weapons and armor for the next group of "heroes" to come through.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

Elder scrolls is likely being made into an mmo as we speak.

replace red dead with Deadlands

replace deus ex with Shadowrun

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

I'd echo a 'good' HOMM mmo

A decent Civ/Alpha Centauri MMO - although the world size would have to be phenomenol - nothing has really captured the 'civ' feeling yet (at least for me) - and hey - it would be 'Sandbox' :D!

• SquatchinSquatchin Member Posts: 93

Throw Left 4 Dead in that list. A good zombie apocalypse mmo would be awesome.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I agree with all the games the OP mentioned.....particularly Red Dead Redemption because I CRAVE a good western MMO.  But you missed ONE old game that I really think also needs to be in this list and that would be Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Otherwise, I'd say that's a perfect list.  I would play every one of those games!

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Originally posted by just1opinion

I agree with all the games the OP mentioned.....particularly Red Dead Redemption because I CRAVE a good western MMO.  But you missed ONE old game that I really think also needs to be in this list and that would be Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. Otherwise, I'd say that's a perfect list.  I would play every one of those games!

CCP is making a World of Darkness Online MMO if you are looking for a MMO based on WHite WOlf's system. If you are specifically looking for Bloodlines Online, there currently isn't a project going for that.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Originally posted by just1opinion

CCP is making a World of Darkness Online MMO if you are looking for a MMO based on WHite WOlf's system. If you are specifically looking for Bloodlines Online, there currently isn't a project going for that.

Oh I know about WoD.  I'm definitely keeping an eye out for that since it's, for YEARS, seemed like the only thing even remotely CLOSE to VtMB.  It's close enough that I'll be playing whenever and IF ever....it comes out.  I think there are still years of waiting involved here, sadly.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club