Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: The "Real Money" Auction House

Comments

• Home15Home15 Member Posts: 203

How the mighty has fallen lol

Single player with co-op that has a RTM shop, hmm might work in asia but not here.

Will it be succesfull? sure, but it will leave alot of Blizzards faithfull buyers a bad taste in there mouth.

As for me im not buying, nickle and dime play is not my style, oooh where are those days when huge mappacks, mods, voicemods where all free, thats what i call service. =)

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

Afterall, they wouldn't want to drive away potential customers by showcasing obvious greed in their experimental real life auction house that would include higher scaling fees :p

I get the sarcasm here. Unfortunately clearly many don't realize how motivated gy greed A/B is these days. They've driven away nearly a milion WoW players since Cataclysm hit by showcasing that very same greed. I do think the intentions of this RMAH may be to curb the 3rd party retailers out there that also scam players, there is a very clear motive to bring in as much money as they can possibly get away with. Next we'll be seeing $20 for diablo pets and $40's to change your name. Frankly if they could reasonably charge a monthly fee they would, so this is the next best thing.

• servedoggservedogg Member Posts: 105

Originally posted by Home15

Single player with co-op that has a RTM shop, hmm might work in asia but not here.

Will it be succesfull? sure, but it will leave alot of Blizzards faithfull buyers a bad taste in there mouth.

As for me im not buying, nickle and dime play is not my style, oooh where are those days when huge mappacks, mods, voicemods where all free, thats what i call service. =)

This is no different from how D2 worked.  D2 had RMT all over the place.  It was just unregulated and dangerous.  The only thing Blizzard did is chose to regulate it in order to protect their player base so its the same thing as D2, just now its safer for people that choose to use RMT.  I'm not sure how that can leave a bad taste in anyones mouth. 

As a Blizzard faithful I can state with certainty that this wont leave a bad taste and is a win/win/win situation for Blizzard/players/RMTs.  Everybody wins, Yay!!

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

But this does nothing to protect them. Those fly by night digital retail groups will still be out there. Hell they'll be making money hand over first with D3 simply because they'll be able to play the in game market as well as their own. There will be hordes of asian gear farmers playing the game and driving the RMAH prices through the roof (which is why I believe it will be seperated by region).

On top of that people are suggesting 'then just don't use the RMAH' but whats the alternative? The regular AH? That will be a ghost town, because who wants to make gold when they can make actual money? Besides, gold in Diablo games has always been next to worthless, it's why in D2 the real nice items were traded, never sold for gold.

Make no mistake, this does nothing to stop those companies, it just lets Blizzard dip their greesy paws in the honey pot.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by servedogg

This is no different from how D2 worked.  D2 had RMT all over the place.  It was just unregulated and dangerous.  The only thing Blizzard did is chose to regulate it in order to protect their player base so its the same thing as D2, just now its safer for people that choose to use RMT.  I'm not sure how that can leave a bad taste in anyones mouth. 

As a Blizzard faithful I can state with certainty that this wont leave a bad taste and is a win/win/win situation for Blizzard/players/RMTs.  Everybody wins, Yay!!

Exactly, it's exactly the same as with D2, but this time, Blizzard has control over it (And revenue, obviously).

Seriously, if you think all was fair in D2, you're mistaken :).

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

trade protect to get a share of it, then you will hit the nail, also its naive of you think RMTs companys will use that thing, if even in F2P games who players can sell CS items for ingame money they are there

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by alkarionlog

Originally posted by Wraithone

Originally posted by Malevil

Originally posted by noterra

I personally rather work in real life for a few hours to buy items in the game that would take me weeks, if not months, to obtain since I won't be able to play more than a couple of hours a week. 

This is a good move by Blizzard, and anyone whom spent more than a ladder season in Diablo 2 will understand why. If not, then you're just stupid. 

I'm sick of ppl like you. It's becouse of cheaters like you we have to deal with gold farmers and account hacking.

"Cheating" is defined by the Dev's of a given game.  Thus by definition, using the in game AH is not "cheating". 

but by old gameplay rules, anything using RL money to buy equips, skillz, and /or using programs to help you during game is cheating, but hey go ahead, give you money to greed devs, they do it because people like you give then money, it a nice way to make your own money worht a lot less then it should

Whose "old game play rules"? Certainly not mine. If its allowed by the Dev's of a game, by definition its not cheating.  "Greedy Dev's"? You do realize that one of *the* major reasons for this exercise in the first place, is to make the best ROI on the investors money as possible?  I have no problem what so ever in supporting a game I enjoy. That makes it more likely that it will continue. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Rabenwolf

I personally rather work in real life for a few hours to buy items in the game that would take me weeks, if not months, to obtain since I won't be able to play more than a couple of hours a week. 

This is a good move by Blizzard, and anyone whom spent more than a ladder season in Diablo 2 will understand why. If not, then you're just stupid. 

I'm sick of ppl like you. It's becouse of cheaters like you we have to deal with gold farmers and account hacking.

"Cheating" is defined by the Dev's of a given game.  Thus by definition, using the in game AH is not "cheating". 

but by old gameplay rules, anything using RL money to buy equips, skillz, and /or using programs to help you during game is cheating, but hey go ahead, give you money to greed devs, they do it because people like you give then money, it a nice way to make your own money worht a lot less then it should

Have you ever written a game design document? Ever been in the game development field? If you tried using your argument at a creative director or just any ol designer, they would laugh in your face. The simple fact is that cheating is doing what the DESIGNER does not intend or want the player do within the confines of the game design document (GDD). The core of a game its rule set, the rule set dictates the limitations which create elements of interacting and challenge. This can include the purchasing and or selling of items within the ruleset dictated by the designers and their server.

You clearly cannot even fathom the unique design choices and opportunities this approach opens up for a game like Diablo, nor what the designers are going for and its nothing short of brilliant. I hope you never play a collectable card game because its no different. Trading and selling cards is no more cheating that it is in Diablo. This isnt a mmorpg, it isnt even a f2p item shop business model game, its a collectable item game and the rule set makes it quite clear that there are a few ways to find, sell, use and share the items found within the game. Everyone wins with what Blizzard is doing.

"Old gameplay rules" also means nothing, its just empty rhetoric with no real substancial definition you could give them. You are entitled to your opinion, but know when to not claim it as fact, its just silly.

RMT in the way its implimented works in Diablo 3's favor and for everyones favor for that matter due to the nature of its design and history. What works for one game might not work for another. Think of Diablo 3 like a collectable card game (such as magic the gathering or Pokemon) and you will understand.

Look, you can write another  essay, but you and ppl like you are still nothing more than cheaters. Fighting against cheating by legalizing it is in my book same as fighting against crime by legalizing it. It's total fail.

Nothing about this is "cheating" by definition. The Dev's make the rules, and thus anything within those rules is by definition not cheating. As for crime, unless there is force or fraud involved, there is no crime. 

Whose "old game play rules"? Certainly not mine. If its allowed by the Dev's of a game, by definition its not cheating.  "Greedy Dev's"? You do realize that one of *the* major reasons for this exercise in the first place, is to make the best ROI on the investors money as possible?  I have no problem what so ever in supporting a game I enjoy. That makes it more likely that it will continue. 

Also it should be noted that this whole "Greedy Devs" idea wouldn't be possible if the playerbase wasn't a bunch of "Greedy Players" using RMTs to purchase equipment to begin with.  I love how everyone is so quick to point the blame finger at Blizzard when none of this would be possible if the players didn't already contribute to the illegal RMT billion dollar industry.  So I guess the playersbase simply reaps what they sow.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

@ servedogg Blizz are greedy, whether you like hearing that or not, it is maybe not the Devs per se but it is the Blizz Accounting, Marketing and Finance people etc etc.

If they were not Greedy and really wanted to have players having a wonderfull and safe experience, they would offer this RM Auction House without a Fee.

They are taking a fee because they want a peace of the action, because theya re greedy...the concern of our safety and well being is just the dust in the eyes to hide the greedy fact.

Having said that,

I Played D1 played D2, never bought any Items from anyone else.

So I really do not mind that Blizz is including such a service with afee, because I will not be using it personally anyways.

All I hope is that we will be able to play D3 on Solo mode without having to connect online, like we did on D1 and D2. I never saw the Diablo Series as an MMORPG, and only connected to Battle.net in order to share some fun with friends, but I enjoyed playing that game and its story really Solo.

I hope we are not losing that, otherwise I do not think I will be playing D3.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard

Originally posted by Suraknar

Well, Played D1 played D2, never bought any Items from anyone else.

So I really do not mind that Blizz is including such a service, I do know that RMT plagued D2 to a very large extent, and I do dislike RMT in general, mainly from other types of games such as MMORPGs.

All I hope is that we will be able to play D3 on Solo mode without having to connect online like we did on D1 and D2, I never saw the Diablo Series as an MMORPG, and only connected to Battle.net in order to share some fun with friends, but I enjoyed playing that game and its story really Solo.

I hope we are not losing that otherwise I do not think I will be playing D3.

I'm not sure I understand the problem that people have with connecting online.  Can you explain why you are opposed to this?  The actual gameplay experience was the same regardless of whether you played online or offline, except ladder features were only available online.

In D2, the reasons to play offline rather than online are:

1.  You had extremely crappy internet service, which isn't really an issue like it was 10 years ago.

2.  You wanted to cheat using a hero editor.

3.  You wanted to cheat using an infinite stash mod.

4.  You wanted to use a pirated copy of D2.

5.  You wanted to play a modded version of D2.

The only one of these I will really miss is #5, because there was one D2 mod that was amazing. 

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Eh... What ever I'll buy it and I'll play it through and put it in the closet.

This whole buy an Uber sword in the cash shop so I can be leet stuff, just reinforces my belief in the stupidity of humanity.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• StormreaverStormreaver Member Posts: 130

I feel like this is akin to a parent telling a teenager, "if you're going to drink, please do it in my house under my supervision." I've never been a fan of using real money to buy/sell ingame items, but this may be the only way for Blizzard to make sure it happens in a safe, legitimate manner. What's the alternative?

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

So I really do not mind that Blizz is including such a service, I do know that RMT plagued D2 to a very large extent, and I do dislike RMT in general, mainly from other types of games such as MMORPGs.

All I hope is that we will be able to play D3 on Solo mode without having to connect online like we did on D1 and D2, I never saw the Diablo Series as an MMORPG, and only connected to Battle.net in order to share some fun with friends, but I enjoyed playing that game and its story really Solo.

I'm not sure I understand the problem that people have with connecting online.  Can you explain why you are opposed to this?  The actual gameplay experience was the same regardless of whether you played online or offline, except ladder features were only available online.

1.  You had extremely crappy internet service, which isn't really an issue like it was 10 years ago.

The only one of these I will really miss is #5, because there was one D2 mod that was amazing. 

None of the above my friend.

Diablo for me is a Single Player RPG game, and I like to enjoy it as such, exploring its world, taking on on its challenges, adventuring and defeating its foes and completingthe story.

I really do not care much about the items I can have or could have had, as long as i can go through it, and momentarilly live through its world and Lore in the familiar Story Arc, I am happy.

I do not buy Solo Games that require me to be connected online period. The reason is because I buy solo games so that Ic an enjoy them anywhere I would like to like during a weekend up in the country house on my own time and pleasure without hassles.

I do play MMORPG's since the day of 28,8 k Modems mind you, and these I also buy and Subscribe to knowing that they come with an Online connection.

As a consumer, I like to have the line between Online games and Solo games separate because I play them in different circumstances and Context.

It is as simple as that.

So, if they want security and anti-pirating they can have the game like many other companies do require an online registration to be able to be installed.

But after that, it has to be playable Offline like any other Solo game too.

The fact that we like games doesn't mean we are plugged in to a chair and a High Speed connection 24/7. Unless Blizzard wants to remove itself from the Solo game Segment of the market.

if that is the case, tell us and we will seek another company to buy games from.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • ClannetworksClannetworks Member Posts: 10

Yeah, who cares.. don't like it don't buy it... Not buying a game sends a message. If enough people are upset they won't buy it and blizzard will change it. If no one cares then they'll buy it. 

http://www.clan.net
    Established 1997

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

"Why we crack down on real-money trading

Real-money trading and related activities such as botting and spamming are breaches of the User Agreement and Rules of Conduct. These rules help protect the entire Guild Wars community from abuse by providing a set of guidelines for fair play that allow all players to enjoy the game. Real-money trading activities negatively impact the fun of many players.

For example, real-money trading companies set up networks of computers to constantly spam players. Message spamming in cities and towns can be irritating to many players who wish to use the chat channels to legitimately buy or sell items, look for a group or a friend, or get advice on some aspect of the game. These messages clutter the chat screen, upsetting regular players because their own messages get lost in the clutter or scroll off the screen too quickly due to all that computer-generated spam.

Real-money trading also upsets the game's economy. Many players spend countless hours of game time earning gold so they can purchase skills, weapon upgrades, or runes to improve their characters. However, regular players cannot compete with the huge bot networks run on hundreds of computers that real-money trading companies use to constantly farm the game. These bot farms can make it nearly impossible for casual and hard-core players alike to reap the benefits of the time they spend in the game. Players may find that the value of their hard-earned items has dropped due to a glut of bot-collected items, or they may find that the cost of their upgrades skyrocket due to all that purchased gold flooding the market."

http://guildwars.com/support/rmt/rmt-en.php

*Cough* I got the strange idea that this might be related.

Originally posted by Stormreaver

I feel like this is akin to a parent telling a teenager, "if you're going to drink, please do it in my house under my supervision." I've never been a fan of using real money to buy/sell ingame items, but this may be the only way for Blizzard to make sure it happens in a safe, legitimate manner. What's the alternative?

Personally, I'd MUCH rather them drink at home (if they insist on it) and learn to deal with the effects, rather than out and about in the world as it were.  I'd much prefer they didn't, but life is about choices.  When you start dictating peoples choices, no matter the original intentions, it leads down the path to tyranny (which is how we ended up with the excessive nanny state we have). 

I can see why Blizzard is doing this for multiple reasons, and it makes sense, given the reality of human nature.  I'm still looking forward to D3. 

• noterranoterra Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by laserit

Eh... What ever I'll but it and I'll play it through and put it in the closet.

This whole buy an Uber sword in the cash shop so I can be leet stuff just reinforces my belief in the stupidity of humanity.

I reckon the lack of general open mindedness brings on a bigger downfall for humanity than the purchase of a virtual item. 

The consequences of this feature is blown out of proportion. People need to understand that this happens in games today anyway. The difference now is that everyone has access to it, and not just a selected few. If the cut Blizzard takes is in any way signifcant enough to make a difference, it would probably end up coming back to the game in terms of quality. 

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Personally, I'd MUCH rather them drink at home (if they insist on it) and learn to deal with the effects, rather than out and about in the world as it were.  I'd much prefer they didn't, but life is about choices.  When you start dictating peoples choices, no matter the original intentions, it leads down the path to tyranny (which is how we ended up with the excessive nanny state we have). 
    I can see why Blizzard is doing this for multiple reasons, and it makes sense, given the reality of human nature.  I'm still looking forward to D3. 

Having RMT that all players can participate in is not like telling your children to drink at home instead of outside. You can rephrase that as, "Something not allowed before, is now OK." You could just as easily say that having a Real Money Auction House in game is like allowing women to vote. Except it's not.

People keep trying to attach a moral argument or comparison to RMT in games, when there is none. It's not cheating if you aren't breaking the rules. It's not now, nor has it ever been illegal. It will not permanently scar you or your family and it will not cause a breakdown in the social makeup of society.

In regards to children and drinking, you do not allow your children to drink in the house. If they are going somewhere and you think there's going to be drinking, do not let them go. If they go somewhere and drink, you punish them. On top of all that, do not drink in your house yourself.

^^ This has nothing to do with Blizzard's real money auction house.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• StormreaverStormreaver Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by lizardbones

Having RMT that all players can participate in is not like telling your children to drink at home instead of outside. You can rephrase that as, "Something not allowed before, is now OK." You could just as easily say that having a Real Money Auction House in game is like allowing women to vote. Except it's not.

People keep trying to attach a moral argument or comparison to RMT in games, when there is none. It's not cheating if you aren't breaking the rules. It's not now, nor has it ever been illegal. It will not permanently scar you or your family and it will not cause a breakdown in the social makeup of society.

In regards to children and drinking, you do not allow your children to drink in the house. If they are going somewhere and you think there's going to be drinking, do not let them go. If they go somewhere and drink, you punish them. On top of all that, do not drink in your house yourself.

I was trying to draw a connection to Blizzard's feelings towards RMT and not argue on moral grounds (or over our differing styles of parenting). Blizzard doesn't approve of RMT in WoW, and they didn't approve of it in previous Diablo games. It has nothing to do with morality and everything to do with Blizzard's attitude. However, they realize that RMT will happen regardless of how they feel about it. To go back to the drinking comparison: parents do not have the ability to stop all drinking everywhere. They simply cannot shut it down, so instead they create a safe space for it and maybe make a little cash in addition. 

• SintrixSintrix Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I see it as a good thing. I'll never use it, but I would imagine that blizzard is going to use the money earned with the fees to remove the spammers. I loved diablo 2 but the spammers have made the game unplayable online for me.
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Exactly, it's exactly the same as with D2, but this time, Blizzard has control over it (And revenue, obviously).

Seriously, if you think all was fair in D2, you're mistaken :).

Plus, who cares what everyone else buys?  Most people played D2 as a Co-op RPG with friends.  You do your thing, play the game your way with your friends, and whatever everyone else does is completely irrelevant.  None of that has changed whatsoever.  Even if you want to play publicly with random strangers, play the game how you want and don't worry about where everyone else is getting their gear.  And if you play the game just to get the best gear and show it off in town in attempt to impress random strangers, then I suggest you get other priorities :p  Even if that is your top priority, you can still get all the best stuff the legit way, although admittedly you would be at a slight disadvantage.  And every time someone inspects you or you inspect someone else, they/you will wonder if you/they got their gear through a RMT.  So in that regard, status associated with gear is slightly tarnished.  But to that I say thank god.  

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/08/02/blizzard-on-diablo-3-gold-farmers-and-players-really-doing-the-same-activity/

Executive producer Rob Pardo replied: “Theoretically that’s true, but I mean there’s really nothing… what’s the difference between a player that plays the game a lot and a gold farmer? I mean they’re really doing the same activity.”

With the Auction House there'll be even less differences between gold farmers and hardcore players.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Currently playing around with Titan Quest. 8 classes, dual-classes, quite impressive. But I miss the HC-mode.
    ---
    The community in Diablo-esque games was always mostly terrible. Ninja-looting wherever you join a random group. Luckily there are a few players who clean up their mules and give items away for free, or say "take this weapon, I already have it twice".

Now with this RMAH what do you think which crowd you will see more? The ninja looters or people who give away some epics (uniques, rares, set-items)?
    ---
    Btw, the only D2 mod I can remember was the 8 players mod: when you played solo offline mobs toughness and drop rate acted like there were 8 players in game. It was quite good.

Originally posted by lizardbones

Totally agree, with the first part.  The Dev's make the rules, and if they say that something is allowed, then by definition its not cheating.  Blizzard isn't doing anything thats all that unexpected, nor that would make me not play D3.

As for the other, we will have to agree to disagree.  I did mention human nature. Drinking is its own punishment, so more on top of that is redundent. ^^  At the age when drinking typically becomes an issue, if they haven't been taught the truth about such choices, there are much greater issues to deal with.