Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Thursday Insider #1

The first in a series of Q&A's with the dev team of Lord of the Rings Online has been posted on the official website. This week the question for the dev team was "Who is your favorite character from The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit?"

Floon Beetle (Artist):
I always liked Gimli, and remember rooting for him to beat Legolas in their contest during the battle of Helm's Deep.

Jeff Murchie (Concept Artist):
My favorite character in Lord of the Rings is Strider.  Runner-ups would be Gandalf and Gollum.  But there are so many to choose from.

You can read all the answers from the dev team here at the official Lord of the Rings Online website.

*Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author... got sick of holding backspace.
-----------------------------------------
ParaTrooper, That guy that used to mod the MMORPG.com forums.

Comments

• vmfedorvmfedor Member Posts: 2

This bodes not well. It seems the devs are more interested in the LotR movie than the actual novels they are based from. Strider is spelled Stryder in the book. There is no 'contest' between Gimli and Legolas in the book. Have the devs even READ the original novel?

I'm just saying that if this is a MMORPG based on the movie based on the book, then this is going to be another failed product marketed at a target audience. :P

• Kud-DukanKud-Dukan Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by vmfedor

This bodes not well. It seems the devs are more interested in the LotR movie than the actual novels they are based from. Strider is spelled Stryder in the book. There is no 'contest' between Gimli and Legolas in the book. Have the devs even READ the original novel?
    I'm just saying that if this is a MMORPG based on the movie based on the book, then this is going to be another failed product marketed at a target audience. :P

First off, Strider IS spelled Strider in the books.  I have a copy of LOTR in my hands right now, so I know it's spelled that way.  Secondly, at Helms Deep they (Legolas and Gimli) DO have a contest, to see who can get the most kills by the end of the battle.  Legolas loses by one kill.  That scene was put into the The Two Towers Extended Edition, but it WAS in the book.
  • ThePhoenixThePhoenix Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 116

The thing I'd like to ask is: WTF does this question have to do with the GAME currently in development??? I guess they hope to feed us useless trivial candy-like fluff instead of actually letting us know what they are doing with the game. They have said the game is based on the novels, not the movies, then they go and lob a softball question that really pertains to nothing, except possibly the mindset of the devs answering the question. If all they want to do is release 'entertaining' or 'fluffy' comments, I'd think that tells us one of 2 things. Maybe they have nothing to say about the game, because they can't tell us they are totally redoing it from the ground up because the previous version had great vision, but couldn't be implomented. Or possibly there are so many awesome and great Bright and Shiny (tm) things they want to surprise us with, that they can't say anything else the cats will be released from the bag, thus ruining the surprises.

I for one am envisioning the latter.........

::::22::

• darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by ThePhoenix

The thing I'd like to ask is: WTF does this question have to do with the GAME currently in development??? I guess they hope to feed us useless trivial candy-like fluff instead of actually letting us know what they are doing with the game. They have said the game is based on the novels, not the movies, then they go and lob a softball question that really pertains to nothing, except possibly the mindset of the devs answering the question. If all they want to do is release 'entertaining' or 'fluffy' comments, I'd think that tells us one of 2 things. Maybe they have nothing to say about the game, because they can't tell us they are totally redoing it from the ground up because the previous version had great vision, but couldn't be implomented. Or possibly there are so many awesome and great Bright and Shiny (tm) things they want to surprise us with, that they can't say anything else the cats will be released from the bag, thus ruining the surprises.
    I for one am envisioning the latter.........
    ::::22::

I agree. The LOTRO community has been waiting for God knows how long for really decent info to be revealed about the game, and all they get is this trivial banter. Feels kinda like a slap in the face =)

No offence to the devs at all, but I could care less what their favorite part of LOTR is, you know? I wanna know about the game.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Read the E3 report on it, the game is still in very early development. It seems Turbine wasn't doing much work on it until they bought the rights. I think all the only race they had done was the humans and I don't think there were any quests.