Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

An Injustice In EVE

2»

Comments

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Sorry to see Eve end this way it had the potential to be one of the greatest MMO's of our time. Well I hope the best to all who still play.

• StormhawkAPSStormhawkAPS Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Isturi

Sorry to see Eve end this way it had the potential to be one of the greatest MMO's of our time. Well I hope the best to all who still play.

I shake my head whenever I see these sorts of sentiments. EVE isn't dead yet. Assumptions and preconceived notions on the matter...

I haven't seen a corpse yet.

Anyway, this thread isn't about whether 'EVE is dying' or not, good sir, and I'm sure the OP would appreciate you not derailing it.

I will see if I can put forth my vote. If she's supportive of EVE Uni, that's a noble cause, for me. I'm not an alumni, nor have I ever been faculty, but I respect and approve of their goals.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Originally posted by StormhawkAPS

I shake my head whenever I see these sorts of sentiments. EVE isn't dead yet. Assumptions and preconceived notions on the matter...

Anyway, this thread isn't about whether 'EVE is dying' or not, good sir, and I'm sure the OP would appreciate you not derailing it.

I will see if I can put forth my vote. If she's supportive of EVE Uni, that's a noble cause, for me. I'm not an alumni, nor have I ever been faculty, but I respect and approve of their goals.

I honestly hope EVE dose not die as a game. Like I mention I hope the best for all who still play. This is my main thought on this post hoping the best for people who feel they got taken or cheated or whatever the case maybe. So I honestly hope I did not offend anyone when I stated the prior post. My apologizes if I did.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

<>

<>

You've falled for a trap even admiral Ackbar would have seen. OP's friend had nothing to do with the Jita event, and OP hasn't even hinted at how much of the isk is going to Eve University. 

Ah, scamming is so easy. 

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Originally posted by Jimmac

<>

<>

You've falled for a trap even admiral Ackbar would have seen. OP's friend had nothing to do with the Jita event, and OP hasn't even hinted at how much of the isk is going to Eve University. 

Ah, scamming is so easy. 

That is an outright lie.   She did start the Jita protest.  She was the first to mention it and get it started.  She even sat the date at which time it would start and it just so happens that the other person started posting 7 minutes before the protest was to begin.   Just 7 minutes.   Then all she did was post in the forums as to what was happening.  All the while my friend was actually in game in various channels and traveling from system to system getting people to participate.  

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

I don't play EVE.  I don't know any of the participants.  I have not read all the pertinent posts in the various forums.

That being said, it seems to me that this is a problem akin to Intellectual Property Rights.  If the OP's post is accurate, it would seem that her friend, the one she says is injured, may have some claims on a copyright of these IPRs.  (Posting an idea might be construed as a copyright under certain circumstances).  And, if everything unravels as the OP suggests, this injured person might have some basis for claims of theft of property rights which directly awarded a copycat player some tangible virtual asset.  It might even be possible to pursue this through a RW jury along those basis.

Taking such a case to court would be costly, time-consuming, and, most probably, futile  Depending on the conversion rates between in-game credits and RW money, it is highly likely that the actual damages would be significantly less than $1000, and in the US, that amount would fall under the jurisdiction of a Small Claims Court (just a judge, no jury for those not familiar with the US court system).  Just tracing and locating all the parties could concievable cost more than any damage award.  Getting a judgement would depend largely on the judge.  And collecting a judgement presents its own set of nightmares.

But, truth is, it appears that your friend was manipulated, both in the game and on the forums by unscrupulous player(s).  They stole an idea and seems to be taking credit.  It is quite possible that the person running the contest was also manipulated by this player.  Their crime may be nothing more than 'saying one thing, then doing another'.  If everyone sued every time someone failed to live up to a internet promise, implied or otherwise, the court system would be several million times more conjected than it already is.

It's a sad story, but IPR theft is a pretty serious thing.  This case simply doesn't merit the effort, in my opinion.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

She said she will donate half the proceeds to EVE University if she wins.  That is over 3.5billion ISK.  That is a large some of ISK.  So if you wish to see the money help to support a cause vote not only with your main but your alt.

BTW Kristina Vanszar stopped playing EVE.   I do not think even RAW or any of the other voters know this.  So that money will possibly be going to an inactive account and never be used.  If it goes to Khira atleast some of it is going to a good cause.  :)

Originally posted by admiral ackbar

<>

That is an outright lie.   She did start the Jita protest.  She was the first to mention it and get it started.  She even sat the date at which time it would start and it just so happens that the other person started posting 7 minutes before the protest was to begin.   Just 7 minutes.   Then all she did was post in the forums as to what was happening.  All the while my friend was actually in game in various channels and traveling from system to system getting people to participate.  

There has been no proof that she started the protest at all. In fact, I've only seen evidence to the contrary. Being first to make a post about some idea doesn't necessarily mean that poster was the main moving force behind the event. In fact, the other girl was going around systems, promoting the protest much, much more than your friend's one post did. You've presented no evidence at all that your friend did anything but make the one post that had like 10 replies to it. 

Hey, it's okay, I approve of scamming in Eve, but if you're going to call me a liar, at least have a shred of good evidence other than your word to back it up. Your friend made 1 post. That post didn't cause the event to happen. The efforts of the other girl in game and other threads did. You need more than your word to overcome this. 

Originally posted by Mendel

I don't play EVE.  I don't know any of the participants.  I have not read all the pertinent posts in the various forums.

That being said, it seems to me that this is a problem akin to Intellectual Property Rights.  If the OP's post is accurate, it would seem that her friend, the one she says is injured, may have some claims on a copyright of these IPRs.  (Posting an idea might be construed as a copyright under certain circumstances).  And, if everything unravels as the OP suggests, this injured person might have some basis for claims of theft of property rights which directly awarded a copycat player some tangible virtual asset.  It might even be possible to pursue this through a RW jury along those basis.

Taking such a case to court would be costly, time-consuming, and, most probably, futile  Depending on the conversion rates between in-game credits and RW money, it is highly likely that the actual damages would be significantly less than $1000, and in the US, that amount would fall under the jurisdiction of a Small Claims Court (just a judge, no jury for those not familiar with the US court system).  Just tracing and locating all the parties could concievable cost more than any damage award.  Getting a judgement would depend largely on the judge.  And collecting a judgement presents its own set of nightmares.

But, truth is, it appears that your friend was manipulated, both in the game and on the forums by unscrupulous player(s).  They stole an idea and seems to be taking credit.  It is quite possible that the person running the contest was also manipulated by this player.  Their crime may be nothing more than 'saying one thing, then doing another'.  If everyone sued every time someone failed to live up to a internet promise, implied or otherwise, the court system would be several million times more conjected than it already is.

It's a sad story, but IPR theft is a pretty serious thing.  This case simply doesn't merit the effort, in my opinion.

If this is satire, then 10/10 for the effort. 

If this is genuine, then all I can say is that this problem is in no way akin to intellectual property rights. Are you L1 in law school or something? Intellectual property rights are in no way, shape, or form invoked by this "problem."

I would like to hear how this girl has standing, or has been harmed, or which court has jurisdiction to hear this case. All that before we even get to substantive law. 

Originally posted by Jimmac

Originally posted by admiral ackbar

<>

There has been no proof that she started the protest at all. In fact, I've only seen evidence to the contrary. Being first to make a post about some idea doesn't necessarily mean that poster was the main moving force behind the event. In fact, the other girl was going around systems, promoting the protest much, much more than your friend's one post did. You've presented no evidence at all that your friend did anything but make the one post that had like 10 replies to it. 

Hey, it's okay, I approve of scamming in Eve, but if you're going to call me a liar, at least have a shred of good evidence other than your word to back it up. Your friend made 1 post. That post didn't cause the event to happen. The efforts of the other girl in game and other threads did. You need more than your word to overcome this. 

She actually made more than one post, a simple search on the main forums can prove this.  Also, you are wrong regarding KV, she sat in Jita and only used the main games forums and all she did was update players as to what was happening .  She was not flying around the different systems promoting it...but my friend was.  I sat next to her while she was doing it.  

Originally posted by Teala

<>

She actually made more than one post, a simple search on the main forums can prove this.  Also, you are wrong regarding KV, she sat in Jita and only used the main games forums and all she did was update players as to what was happening .  She was not flying around the different systems promoting it...but my friend was.  I sat next to her while she was doing it.  

No need for me to reply further until you actually come up with somethign solid. Otherwise, this is just an attempt by you and your "friend" to try to win a 10 billion isk contest despite having no good way other than your word to back up your claims. I mean, who wouldn't argue to the death for 10 billion isk? 

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Knowing fully well that this is EvE Online, I question any and all comments and remarks made within this topic, and any others containing EvE Online related material.

That is all.

Seriously, it's hard for anyone else to know what's what in this story. I'd personally go for the "goal completed, nevermind who started the movement" approach.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850

Sounds like regular Eve to me...bend over and accept it or fight.  Eve is pretty much about screwing people or being screwed.

• KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Sounds like your friend got a little screwed? But why the outrage? EvE players are trying to scam each other ALL-THE-FREAKING-TIME. Sure, not everybody does that, but its a common occorunce in eve online where isk is so much the value.

Have you ever taken a look at the contracts or tried to buy/sell a ship? Also; people are advertising daily the same old shit like; ''gimmi 1mill isk and ill give u back 5'', and daily posts about; ''im new and i cant make any isk, help me,,,,,,gimmi isk!'' AND fake lotteries and so on and on.........(and much worse stuff)

It sounds to me like (UNLESS IM MISTAKEN) the person who refused to give credit where its due (pun intended) is not an official employee of CCP itself, but a private person/player.

They are not obliged to keep their word if they do not want to, sure it might hurt their reputation in the game, but thats basically it.

''...........he started to come up with excuses and is trying to weasal his way out of giving credit where credit is due''

I know that it sucks, BUT he CAN, and he MAY. Its HIS freaking account and his fraking Isk, -not yours- and he may do whatever he wants with it, including a promise to reward it to who-ever does what-ever, and than he may simply refuse to give it.

Like; I might act all friendly and stuff and promise a bunch of newb players a huge amount of isk if they help me with my mining operations for a while, and than at the end of the day, after i've hauled all that precious cargo back, i may simply refuse to pay em back. Sure they'll hate me for it, might even try to put a bounty on my head or even outright try pod me out of the sky (maybe get some help for that first), but that wouldnt change the fact that they got nothing out of it, no isk gained.

End of story; I think ur mixing up real-life injustice with an online-game injustice. MMO's are usually rampant with this shit.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

You can't make this shit up.  It's funny...pretty much every story you see about EVE is about the "metagame" of ripping people off/griefing them, at which the players like OP cheer and grats the perps.  Now some stupid contest involving a pointless in game protest run by a player gets a book written about what an injustice has been inflicted upon a player...shouldn't people be happy?

BTW, in game protest = useless.  It didn't stop CU in SWG and won't change a thing in EVE.  The only thing that gets devs' attention is cancellations. 

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

it seems your friend did post first Teala. I also agree with Jimmac that you have no solid evidence that you or your friend made MORE of a difference in the riot starting business. Sadly, I could care less. I do however think that if your friend wins the money that they don't give half the money to EvE University....but make a contest of your own.

Go with either a Hulkageddon idea...i.e. Industrial hate day. The most indy kills..gets the money. Or, make a contest to provide a 500 word essay on why you think CCP Zulu should be publicly flogged for his comments about 3rd party licensing apps. Maybe give extra credit for whomever can sketch the best picture of Chribba pulling his hair out while reading that post.

Or, you could make a contest saying you are flying a T1 frigate from Kor-Azor to Geminate and the person that kills me gets the money. You can use an alt and no one will know the name of the pilot.  But give them a 24 notice of the event. Make sure you fly through all 4 major trade hubs and no low sec...that sounds like a great idea, actually.

There are 1000's of ideas...do something original. Giving it to EvE Uni..which I also think are a solid group, aren't broke. This is you and your friends way of PLAYING the GAME not just whining and then giving the money away...that's such a girl thing to do. Sorry if that stings, but it's only 10 billion tbh.

Invest as much effort in DOING something with that money as you have FIGHTING for it.

Good luck Teala and to your friend.

Edit: Spelling

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I just can't understand why anyone should care about this.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

This is a prime example of  "Tempest in a Teapot"

I mean really, this is EVE, situation normal.