Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gods and Heroes: Rome Rising: Interview with Anthony Castoro

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

MMORPG.com Community Manager Michael Bitton sat down for an interview with Heatwave Interactive CEO Anthony Castoro to discuss all things Gods and Heroes.

Absolutely. I see Gods & Heroes adopting a hybrid free-to-play model in the future. The reason we didn’t go free-to-play originally was that the game wasn’t designed to support that in the way that made sense, and we didn’t have the ability to both make the game playable the way that it is now, and fun, and support the free-to-play model the way we would like. So, I think that free-to-play is going to be a comprehensive part of adding things like the politics and PvP system to the game, but ultimately we see free trial and content gates and itemization as another way to trial and then pay for the game, and so there’s no reason that we shouldn’t support it. We just have to make sure that the game systems are designed with that in mind, and so that takes us a little time to implement.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Gods and Herores: Rome Rising: Interviwe with Anthony Castoro.

Comments

• TioanbeastTioanbeast Member Posts: 23

So Basically this an artical about gods and heroes going F2P.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i think it was inevitable from the start it would go f2p.but it's still a good game..yes it needs crafting and content,but i just subbed to this game..its nothing like wow or other games imo..it kind of sets itself apart from most games out there.Heatwave staff are amazing and really listen to the community,and the community are really nice and helpful.tbh the sooner it goes f2p the better imo..people really need to see this game and the fun you can have playing around with minions.its not the greatest mmo by any means but it  is immense fun..and i will continue to sub to game.i kina play this part time along with lotro and conan..thing is there is no rush to get to max lvl in this game,mainly because the content is going to be added over the next year..i,m kind of happy with that instead of everyone rushing to get to max lvl.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It seemed more like a status report on the evolution and health of the gasme in the MMO market, but 'F2P' was in there, so that will be the crux of the entire discussion. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311

And soon the f2p crew will get their hands on this game and start their screaming about things that THEY WANT, and down the drain this fun game foes.

Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

But before we turn into a hybrid F2P model, we'll sell boxes and subscriptions. Lots of boxes and subscriptions :).

Originally posted by BizkitNL

But before we turn into a hybrid F2P model, we'll sell boxes and subscriptions. Lots of boxes and subscriptions :).

and rightly so..just like any other company would do..especially since they are just starting out.i dont regret purchasing my copy even if it goes f2p.

• kooliekoolie Member Posts: 6

Anthony Castoro really began the downhill slide of Ultima Online to where it is now. He was terrible at community involvement and actually progressing the game to keep it modern.

I would never support another project oh his, even if it was free.

Originally posted by koolie

Anthony Castoro really began the downhill slide of Ultima Online to where it is now. He was terrible at community involvement and actually progressing the game to keep it modern.

well i,m of the thinking people make mistakes,we are only human..and lets be honest here,he aint the first and wont be the last in when it comes to mmo's.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This interview almost reads as satire.

Developer: Our game has awesome potential, come pay and play for this. Soon we have all the expected features like PVP, crafting, an auction house in! Oh and crafting is inspired on SWG's crafting (*wink wink nudge nudge* come along now disappointed swg players) And of course we planned to go f2p, but we couldnt do that yet, because the game wasnt fini..ehr..we couldnt go f2p and have fun and content (which we will add soon) at the same time.

I think that sometimes they should let go of the happy happy joy joy attitude and be serious about how they completely misjudged the current market. Just be about business and tell the players to wait for the hybrid f2p model. Untill then, this game cant compete in the market.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

All mmos should start out P2P just to get as much money up front as possible. Then go F2P when the box sales dry up.

Originally posted by someforumguy

This interview almost reads as satire.

Developer: Our game has awesome potential, come pay and play for this. Soon we have all the expected features like PVP, crafting, an auction house in! Oh and crafting is inspired on SWG's crafting (*wink wink nudge nudge* come along now disappointed swg players) And of course we planned to go f2p, but we couldnt do that yet, because the game wasnt fini..ehr..we couldnt go f2p and have fun and content (which we will add soon) at the same time.

I think that sometimes they should let go of the happy happy joy joy attitude and be serious about how they completely misjudged the current market. Just be about business and tell the players to wait for the hybrid f2p model. Untill then, this game cant compete in the market.

well Heatwave never said they would'nt go f2p and all subscribers are pretty much aware of where the game was heading..i think a small company like HW have a right like any other to sell their product and make as much off it as possible before they go f2p..they have not mislead anyone in that department..all they said was at this time they were,nt considering f2p..now they are..so be it.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

I am tempted at $15 for the first 30 days but I dunno. I like it because its not standard fantasy which I am sick of, but not sure if I like the premise enough to pay $15 for it.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I may not be the brightest bulb, but with most mmorpg's being a a new spin on Everquest with varying window-dressings, coupled with my extreme boredom of fantasy mmorpg's, $15 bought me some sanity this past weekend. 

Really not disappointed with it, but wouldnt pay for another month past my free one until I see/read about development progression.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Bah, this game was my next target to try. Not any longer now that infection of F2P has already spread to it.

• mmorpglotrommorpglotro Member Posts: 47

I have found this game to be refreshing (great support) and fun. The quests are engaging and the rewards are, for the most part, worth the effort. Having always been fascinated with Mythology, I have enjoyed running around seeing all the creatures and companions that I have read about. I appreciate the direction the game is headed and feel this is one of the few games that has been worth every penny I spent.

• SunSwordSunSword Member Posts: 43

Really?  I'd love to know more about this. Nothing like anonymous character assassination to pique one's interest.

Anthony Castoro
    EP, Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising
    http://www.godsandheroes.com
    CEO, Heatwave Interactive
    http://www.heatwave.com

• SunSwordSunSword Member Posts: 43

Originally posted by kevjards

well i,m of the thinking people make mistakes,we are only human..and lets be honest here,he aint the first and wont be the last in when it comes to mmo's.

Kev, don't believe everything someone with 6 posts says :).

Anthony Castoro
    EP, Gods & Heroes: Rome Rising
    http://www.godsandheroes.com
    CEO, Heatwave Interactive
    http://www.heatwave.com

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Originally posted by kevjards

Originally posted by BizkitNL

and rightly so..just like any other company would do..especially since they are just starting out.i dont regret purchasing my copy even if it goes f2p.

Any other company?

The games that went F2P recently have been around for years. Well, Global Agenda excluded, but that's another story.

I'm not convinced by anyone claiming they don't regret buying the boxed version, when the developers are already stating that a F2P or hybrid model is an option being looked at?

Don't get me wrong, though. I was merely making a statement, not flaming the developers.