Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yong-Hyun Park leaves BHS

KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

One of the biggest bombs to hit Korea today was the fact that Yong-Hyun Park has left BHS. It's on almost every single Korean gameing site. 

Yong-Hyun Park was the lead developer of the L2 team at NCsoft that left to form BHS. He is the creator/lead developer/funder and the head honcho at BHS, and now that he has left, allot of speculation is going around about the future of BHS and TERA, most of it grim news. 

In a weird twist, YH Park said he left due to the stress, and the constant conflict with NCoft. But later in the day Jake Song of XL studios (Arche Age) talked about YH Park joining the team. So nobody knows what is going on atm. 

Not gonna lie, this is devastating news. What will the future of TERA now hold ?

Doesn't matter what gaming site you go to, they are all reporting it. 

Just google YH park leaves BHS and you will get tons of sites.

Here is one

http://www.inven.co.kr/board/powerbbs.php?come_idx=2134&l=314

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

It could be the prime reason why the "westernisation" takes so long or it could just be a bump on the road. We'll see.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Seems like Bromags from EME has quit as well.

But from YH Park, he made a statement today saying the reason why he is leaving is due to massive stress/depression, and his doctor ordered him to take some time off. This is due from the constant harassment from Ncsoft (Ncsoft still won't quit with their legal means) and the massive pressure from shareholders on Tera not doing very well in Korea.

A few websites were reporting that he got a job at Xl games, but YH Park clarified that it was only a job offer, and he turned it down due to him being really sick atm. He said he is gonna take some rest to get better, and after will see where his career lies. 

Byung-Gyu Chang will take over the full funding of TERA and Huang Cher Ung (the guy that looks like a girl) will take over the lead producer/developer. 

Byung-Gyu Chang is one of the richest men in Korea, so BHS/Tera won't be going under any time soon.

Personally my feelings is that YK Park was a old school developer, so he micro managed everything, and refused to let anyone have a say in the game. Now with Huang Cher Ung in charge, he is much younger and more open, communication can finally get out and people in NA will finally get some idea of what is going on.

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

Looks liek someone got replaced if it was that quick just sayin .

• IchmenIchmen Member UncommonPosts: 1,228

funny thing is.. in korea if you go bankrupt you go to jail lolol so they would have to replace him asap... or get in alot more "human waste" then they are with ncsoft..

still sucks though, if he is infact stressing over ncsoft thats pretty harsh O_O

• end_break_fend_break_f Member Posts: 30

Apparently this is a forbidden topic too at the US Tera site. This was posted there too yesterday and now it's gone. I never seen them delete a post before. Even Elin threads were just moved and closed, not deleted. Censors will be censors apparently.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Originally posted by end_break_f

Apparently this is a forbidden topic too at the US Tera site. This was posted there too yesterday and now it's gone. I never seen them delete a post before. Even Elin threads were just moved and closed, not deleted. Censors will be censors apparently.

Kinda strange if you ask me.  Myself having a vested interest in Tera,  I do lurk those forms allot, seeing what's going on with the Western version.

I've been lurking those forms for years and never have I ever seen this happen, If it is a bad or trolled thread they always have a mod explain and close the thread. But this one just vanished without a trace no explanation at all.

It would be nice of EME at this point to come out and explain the situtaion, to calm some nevers, and even put a positive spin on it. Trust me they are not making many friends with this. 

To say that I am worried about this game is a understaement. Now I know it's not all EME's fault as they just do as they are told by BNS. But comeone a little PR would go along way to making this game a sure sucess as the game itself is amazing. 

I'll try myself to try and hype this game up and give out some info on the game.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    its obvious he made a smart choice since Tera already came out and failed time to move on and ArcheAge already have more hype than Tera here.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

That pretty much kills it for me.

If he goes to archeage then that would be another feather in its cap.

"and called it macarroni"

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Tera has not failed in Korea,  what has failed is western people lack of understanding of whats going on.

One of the biggest reasons is the price structure. In Korea they only offer a 20.00 US monthly unlimited plan(like western games), and that may seem normal to westerners, but to a Korean it's a strange foreign concept. Koreans don't play video games at home on their PC's. They go to internet cafe's, get drunk with their friends, and play online for like 1.50 a hour. So because of the price structure Tera offers, most internet cafes refuse to carry Tera.

If Tera would follow the standard pricing system that other games in Korea things would be quite different.  As it stands now tera has around 100k concurrent users,  which is quite a lot considering the situation.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

Originally posted by stayontarget

Tera has not failed in Korea,  what has failed is western people lack of understanding of whats going on.

One of the biggest reasons is the price structure. In Korea they only offer a 20.00 US monthly unlimited plan(like western games), and that may seem normal to westerners, but to a Korean it's a strange foreign concept. Koreans don't play video games at home on their PC's. They go to internet cafe's, get drunk with their friends, and play online for like 1.50 a hour. So because of the price structure Tera offers, most internet cafes refuse to carry Tera.

If Tera would follow the standard pricing system that other games in Korea things would be quite different.  As it stands now tera has around 100k concurrent users,  which is quite a lot considering the situation.

100k users is fine in my eyes. My concern is that the visionary behind the project has left.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

Do those cafe have some kind of distribution agreement with the developers?  

I would think that making the full 1.50/hr is better than having to give the developers a cut of your pie.

Unless you meant that koreans don't want to pay the 20 bucks a month on top of the 1.50/hr that cafes charge.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Not surprising. Considering on just how much messed up and unfinished the game is, how broken and imbalanced the core features are, how easily the economy crashed down burning and how horrible the server architecture out there is, its not surprising that the guy ran from sinking ship.

When game starts to loose horrible amounts of server population per DAY and the community forums are crowded with complaints and bugs, the best course of action is to run the other way.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• wewterwewter Member Posts: 19

Oy -- that really is too bad.  I was looking forward to TERA being my next Lineage 2.  Haven't played an mmo seriously since L2 (and for good reason...)  nothing since has come close to the guild intimacy and free political structure that was championed in that game, on TOP of awesome looking skins for armor (despite limited armor sets being available and characters somehwat "forced" to use the same armor set)

On top of him leaving, the fact that in order to make it to the west this game's art is being diluted, citing "inappropriate content" and/or "suggestions of pedophilia" is ABSURD.  FFS why do we play computer games?  To live out another real-world scenario, just with slightly different rules?  Hell no, I'll take my sexy cartoons any day over lame, "makes-sense" armor styles that people push for because of their "obvious visual utility."  These are computer games, and should be designed and implemented the way the designers intended -- forum fanbois f*ck so much up... i hate reading some of these posts.

good thing I preordered SWTOR, I guess, over TERA -- even though I'd like to play both... I cannot see myself with enough time, and will ultimately have to choose.  BF3 wins for fps -- who's going to take my mmo slot?  Maybe if they leave the eastern-style art in the game and free-form political structure, TERA will be a winner winner chicken dinner.  time will tell and we'll see.

Past [MMO] Games: Lineage 2 (quit c5), Aion, RIFT, SWTOR
    Current[MMO] Game(s): TERA
    Future [MMO] Game(s): ArcheAge, Blade/Soul

• crpngdthcrpngdth Member Posts: 54

Yong-Hyun Park leaves BHS, is replaced by Hyun-Yong Park.  The company says "this will be a completely interchangeable interchange and we will not change any changes instituted by Park" Westerners continue to be confused and baffled yet again citing the who can tell theory line.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by thinktank001

Do those cafe have some kind of distribution agreement with the developers?  

I would think that making the full 1.50/hr is better than having to give the developers a cut of your pie.

Unless you meant that koreans don't want to pay the 20 bucks a month on top of the 1.50/hr that cafes charge.

Most cafe's have agreements with most gaming companies so people just pay the price the cafe charges with no sub. Tera is one of the few that is not carried by the cafe's and mostly relies on people playing at home.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by wewter

Oy -- that really is too bad.  I was looking forward to TERA being my next Lineage 2.  Haven't played an mmo seriously since L2 (and for good reason...)  nothing since has come close to the guild intimacy and free political structure that was championed in that game, on TOP of awesome looking skins for armor (despite limited armor sets being available and characters somehwat "forced" to use the same armor set)

On top of him leaving, the fact that in order to make it to the west this game's art is being diluted, citing "inappropriate content" and/or "suggestions of pedophilia" is ABSURD.  FFS why do we play computer games?  To live out another real-world scenario, just with slightly different rules?  Hell no, I'll take my sexy cartoons any day over lame, "makes-sense" armor styles that people push for because of their "obvious visual utility."  These are computer games, and should be designed and implemented the way the designers intended -- forum fanbois f*ck so much up... i hate reading some of these posts.

good thing I preordered SWTOR, I guess, over TERA -- even though I'd like to play both... I cannot see myself with enough time, and will ultimately have to choose.  BF3 wins for fps -- who's going to take my mmo slot?  Maybe if they leave the eastern-style art in the game and free-form political structure, TERA will be a winner winner chicken dinner.  time will tell and we'll see.

Seriously? SWTOR?

If you have been waiting for a new mmorpg since Lineage 2, then you know why you shouldnt buy SWTOR.

SWTOR is a kids game compared to Lineage 2.

SWTOR is WAR,AoC, Rift, Lotro, all those boring wow clones with no community features, BORING and tired quest grinders with nothing new at endgame.

Tera is practically the spiritual successor of L2 with it's politic system.

Watch some gameplay videos please... SWTOR combat is so 2001 (but even more dull), the gameplay is the same old boring crap, and the graphics are just pathetic.

It's a 2 month mmo, just like every other wow clone, grind quest, grind instanced raids, get bored and quit, maybe reroll 1 new character.

At least Tera has plenty of sandbox elements at endgame.

Tera will launch complete in US, with the lvl 58 content and maybe the server vs server features.

Don't buy SWTOR, wait for real mmorpgs like Tera, Archeage, GW2, The Secret World, even Blade & Soul looks better than SWTOR, lol.

Search " 29:30 Beta Update" in youtube if you want to have some laughs (protected by the NDA of course, they don't want to let anyone find out how much the game sucks before buying it)

• dragonbranddragonbrand Member UncommonPosts: 441

Apparently TERA is failling in Korea, otherwise why would the visionary behind the game be leaving. In tyhe quotes attributed to him, there is nothing about pricing structures being the reason he left; it was inapprpriate content and the game not being or developing inot what he had planned.

Gaming since Avalon Hill was making board games.

Played SWG, EVE, Fallen Earth, LOTRO, Rift, Vanguard, WoW, SWTOR, TSW, Tera
    Tried Aoc, Aion, EQII, RoM, Vindictus, Darkfail, DDO, GW, PotBS

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Originally posted by mmorpgbro

SWTOR is WAR,AoC, Rift, Lotro, all those boring wow clones with no community features, BORING and tired quest grinders with nothing new at endgame.
    Watch some gameplay videos please... SWTOR combat is so 2001 (but even more dull), the gameplay is the same old boring crap, and the graphics are just pathetic.

I am sorry but I have to laugh at using endgame and tera in one sentence. Tera has no endgame. Thats one of THE problems(alongside botched economy and seriously buggy gameplay) that is bringing down the game in korea already.

ANd I again have to laugh at calling LOTRO without "community". That game has the most mature community for themepark game possible. Thankfully you are not part of that game.

And please, since when does combat make a game? If i wanted to play arcade beat em up...i would do exactly that. As it is right now, Tera has NOTHING to offer minus the combat. TOR is nothing better though as it has nothing to offer except voice acting.

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• mmorpgbrommorpgbro Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Yuui

I am sorry but I have to laugh at using endgame and tera in one sentence. Tera has no endgame. Thats one of THE problems(alongside botched economy and seriously buggy gameplay) that is bringing down the game in korea already.

ANd I again have to laugh at calling LOTRO without "community". That game has the most mature community for themepark game possible. Thankfully you are not part of that game.

And please, since when does combat make a game? If i wanted to play arcade beat em up...i would do exactly that. As it is right now, Tera has NOTHING to offer minus the combat. TOR is nothing better though as it has nothing to offer except voice acting.

Tera will launch with endgame in the west version, that's why we haven't been able to play it yet.

Look at all the incoming updates, a whole new continent, server politics, 8-10 more levels, server vs server politics / alliances & pvp (kinda like a 3 faction system ala DAoC ), even dungeons made only for vanarch points.

Rifts, a new class, etc.

Tera won't be the same game on the west release.

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647
    agree its not too late to fix the problem since korean sub are the minorty, their major sub are going to come from western and China.

• neosurfeurneosurfeur Member UncommonPosts: 193

[quote]Originally posted by dragonbrand

Apparently TERA is failling in Korea, otherwise why would the visionary behind the game be leaving. In tyhe quotes attributed to him, there is nothing about pricing structures being the reason he left; it was inapprpriate content and the game not being or developing inot what he had planned.
    [/b][/quote]
    Not true by Steparu.com

Actually Tera getting better. So ask him , he still play the game even reporting other games.

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Yuui

Tera will launch with endgame in the west version, that's why we haven't been able to play it yet.

Look at all the incoming updates, a whole new continent, server politics, 8-10 more levels, server vs server politics / alliances & pvp (kinda like a 3 faction system ala DAoC ), even dungeons made only for vanarch points.

Rifts, a new class, etc.

Tera won't be the same game on the west release.

well the game new patchs are horrible full of bugs problems and everything, (even some national inconditional fans are worried about the game-they play korean version of the game), and the fantastic combat system its not skill based after all... go figure , net conection, gear ENCHANTS CLASS, AND SO ON...)

i was thinking to play it (months ago), but last 3 months the game its just a mess, it seems the editor company and his shareholders, are demanding the producers to launch content in a hurry , and that its not the way to made a mmo.