Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Operations: "Loot Containers" for All

Comments

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Originally posted by Painlezz

Amazed to see how many people agree with or like this type of loot system...  THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT KILLED WOW!

Token systems, badge systems, collecting points to buy gear...

The whole point of fighting a major boss in a game is for a chance at rare items!  VALUE is determined by availability.  If EVERYONE can eventually get that item by grinding points... the value of that item drops greatly.

If you get a BIS (Best in slot) weapon drop from a hard raid boss and there is NO other way to obtain that weapon in game, you've just gained an advantage over others as a reward for the time and effort you've invested...

This type of loot system reminds me of the modern failures in our education system...  "Everyone is a winner!"

No... everyone is not a winner, wait till you join the real world!

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree everyone should get SOMETHING for their effort.  A way to grown their characters by raiding without giving everyone the same loot via different methods....

The only way this is different from the old method of loot distribution from raiding is that with a system like this everyone is guaranteed to get something when they raid and everyone at least gets a chance at a rare drop.  In the old method, at least in my experience, only the guild leader and his buddies were guaranteed to get something and the people who couldn't raid five times a week almost certainly would never get anything.

It seems to me the only people who could possibly be upset by a system like this are the people who, in past games, exploited the time and effort of other players, the common grunts in the guild, for their own virtual enrichment.  I'd take a system like this over the old way any day.

Why the hell should I go on a raid just so the inner circle of the guild can get loot when I know I'm never going to get anything because I don't devote my entire life to raiding?  At least with a system like this I would know I would get something and would have a chance at something good.  If I played this game a system like this might even entice me to try raiding again after lo' these many years.

But this doesn't necessarily address the other problems with raiding.  How many people will be in raids?  Is it going to end up being the usual sort of thing where you have to schedule your life around the game in order to do it?  And the repetition will still be there, no way around that.  You'll have to run those same raids over and over and over again.

Whatever, I don't intend to play this game for various reasons but this raid loot system at least is something I can agree with.

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

this loot container has singlehandedly made me consider playing this game

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

• fionanshrekfionanshrek Member Posts: 104

The loot situations that existed in games is the single biggest reason I stopped raiding (or even instance running) for that matter, this for me is another great idea.  I was never really big into the idea of loot so many times over I allowed guildies to get set pieces before me but in the back of my mind always thought how much it sucked that these games were designed so that I had in fact made no progress toward getting whatever shiny I may have been after.

The idea of collecting tokens that can be used to purchase the exact same gear you are trying to win on a roll is the draw here, not just tokens to buy something a little less powerful but the actual pieces you are trying to attain.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

PERFECT! Now everyone gets something for them for participating and you don't have to worry about the warrior losing the sword to the hunter because of a dice roll.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• striker09dxstriker09dx Member UncommonPosts: 197

Originally posted by z80paranoia

+1

I never really wanted to play this game. I hated it for all it was becoming, but ...this....me likey!

• VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566

Sounds like a good idea to me.

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Amazed to see how many people agree with or like this type of loot system...  THIS IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT KILLED WOW!

Token systems, badge systems, collecting points to buy gear...

The whole point of fighting a major boss in a game is for a chance at rare items!  VALUE is determined by availability.  If EVERYONE can eventually get that item by grinding points... the value of that item drops greatly.

If you get a BIS (Best in slot) weapon drop from a hard raid boss and there is NO other way to obtain that weapon in game, you've just gained an advantage over others as a reward for the time and effort you've invested...

This type of loot system reminds me of the modern failures in our education system...  "Everyone is a winner!"

Don't get me wrong, I fully agree everyone should get SOMETHING for their effort.  A way to grown their characters by raiding without giving everyone the same loot via different methods....

Some folks play these games for the actual content of the game, not how uber they look standing in front of the auction house.

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I have always hated the drama that comes with raiding but with this even I  may reconsider.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by striker09dx

Originally posted by z80paranoia

+1

I never really wanted to play this game. I hated it for all it was becoming, but ...this....me likey!

I'm actually the same way. I was thinking about it, but I was honestly leaning towards not buying it... but now, it seems like it's going to be great.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Gajari

Originally posted by azmundai

I think the point here is that we play these games to ESCAPE THE REAL WORLD. These games should be just that: games. They're not meant to reflect reality-based situations in any way shape or form. They're not meant to be a second job. They're not meant for people to waste hours and hours of their time in the off-chance that something they need will actually drop -- and the even smaller chance of winning the roll on it. They're meant to be FUN.
    Say it with me: fun. It's something you lost sight of many years ago.

Need? ... that kind of throws off your whole argument doesn't it.
    What I have noticed is that the entitlement that this kind of looting has brought on the industry has completely destroyed the communities. The loot used to be a side effect. Now it is the only reason anyone does anything. It was always a goal, but it was the group's struggle to achieve that goal that was both rewarding and fun. Now it is only about me me me me me because everyone knows all they have to do is show up .. and the badges will float them to the next instance.
    I never found it frustrating when my friend got something I also wanted, because I knew he would be there cheering me on the next time, or in the next instance ... but there is little of that in most guilds these days.

Need doesn't throw off my argument whatsoever actually. Whether you need or just want something for looks, or anything.
    Just because you can get tokens, and everyone gets something out of a raid doesn't make that raid a cakewalk. Items are items, but when it comes down to game mechanics, gear will always be meaningless if there's no skill.
    The guild/group of people you're with are still going to have to struggle through these raids; they're going to have to learn the encounters, figure out what everyone should be doing and trying to be as efficient as possible doing it;  they're still going to be dying, and if you can't finish the raid you don't get ANYTHING still. Well, I mean the full amount of items that everyone believes will be no challenge to acquire.
    How about not worrying about the gear and focus on the encounters themselves for once?
    That's what this system is for. Making it more about the gameplay than just the gear. Make everything less of a headache by eliminating the need for DKP systems, the annoyance of having to roll for items against a ton of other people and winding up with nothing for your hard work, and make it easier on the raid leader to get things done. Of course, ninja looting will be a thing of the past as well.
    There's nothing but benefits to this system. Those memories you have are never as good as you remember, and if this game had similar issues as you were speaking of, the more crying on forums and such it'll bring. The game will go from being a co-operative, fun experience, back to being a competitive one where everyone truly IS out for themselves.

The only people I knew that thought everyone was competing for loot were the people that showed up once a month, late ... and without consumables .. and then were astonished when they didn't get loot despite doing little more than a PuG 2 tiers behind them could have done. I guess I have just never understood loot envy, as you so eloquently try to state .. I play for fun, but I also understand that me being committed to the guild, and there every week regardless of whether I get loot, allows others and myself to have fun more consistently. Not having to stress about whether or not we are going to wipe for 2 hours because the bug tank we have doesn't know what a shield slam is. In a good guild, 2 more str doesn't really mean all that much anyway especially when you consider someone in your guild got it anyway, so there is still going to be a marginal DPS increase.

Beyond that, I'd bet my left toe that this system won't decrease the amount of time it takes for you to get loot except in the rare occasion that the RNG decides to bless you. In fact in my experience it increases it because people become lazy and lean on things like "I'd rather watch TV instead of healing my friends .. makes no difference I'll get the badges I need on the easy bosses when the raid resets tomorrow". So all we are trading for the inability to see a guild as a team .. is a lot of complacency.

But really my point was .. you go on about how this is an escape from the real world .. how it's just supposed to be fun .. and then you say you NEED something from the game? That just doesn't make sense to me I guess. And then of course you have to make personal attacks to backup your point. What part of that was fun, or meant to be fun?

And finally just like people will draw lines between the worst storms, wildfires, etc in recorded history and global warming, people are going to draw conclusions between this self entitlement that is so rampant in our society these days and our inability in the US to innovate and make anything new to compete on the world market. The micorcosims are everywhere!! Maybe it's just easier to see them when the people that work for you take off an hour early every day and then complain they don't get a bonus.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

I think we are seing here two types of raiders here:

Raider Type A: You dedicate hours, and hours, and hours, and hours of your life in order to get the most powerfull items in the world to dress up your favorite doll... SORRY! I MEANT ACTION FIGURE!!!

Raider Type B: You play the game because it's challenging, it's a lot of fun, and you like to have some epic battles alongside your friends.

I'm a Type B.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Originally posted by Kuaidam
    I think we are seing here two types of raiders here:Raider Type A: You dedicate hours, and hours, and hours, and hours of your life in order to get the most powerfull items in the world to dress up your favorite doll... SORRY! I MEANT ACTION FIGURE!!!Raider Type B: You play the game because it's challenging, it's a lot of fun, and you like to have some epic battles alongside your friends.I'm a Type B.

Im mostly type B these days as well .. I do really enjoy raiding with a fun guild, even when I dont get loot and the raid leader is pissy. Ive even been the pissy raid leader. None of that really has anything to do with the loot distribution we are talking about here. Ive also been type B in the past, as well ... and it really never bothered me if I didnt get loot .. though I usually did despite not being at the top of the DkP charts. Did I get that one trinket with a 2% drop rate that every [insert role here] wanted, no .. but I usually ended up with a set piece or two.

On the flip side, when I was the pissy raid leader .. I personally handed out mountains of loot to people I'd never met before and probably never saw most of them again.

I have just never seen a major problem with loot. It's quite possible that there are just a lot of poorly run raids out there .. because my raids were never super successful and everyone usually ended up with most of the things they wanted by the end of an expansion. A little less so personally when I couldnt raid fulltime, but I had fun .. so who cares?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• AzureProwerAzurePrower Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

I think the point here is that we play these games to ESCAPE THE REAL WORLD. These games should be just that: games. They're not meant to reflect reality-based situations in any way shape or form. They're not meant to be a second job. They're not meant for people to waste hours and hours of their time in the off-chance that something they need will actually drop -- and the even smaller chance of winning the roll on it. They're meant to be FUN.

What I have noticed is that the entitlement that this kind of looting has brought on the industry has completely destroyed the communities. The loot used to be a side effect. Now it is the only reason anyone does anything. It was always a goal, but it was the group's struggle to achieve that goal that was both rewarding and fun. Now it is only about me me me me me because everyone knows all they have to do is show up .. and the badges will float them to the next instance.
    I never found it frustrating when my friend got something I also wanted, because I knew he would be there cheering me on the next time, or in the next instance ... but there is little of that in most guilds these days.

Need doesn't throw off my argument whatsoever actually. Whether you need or just want something for looks, or anything.
    Just because you can get tokens, and everyone gets something out of a raid doesn't make that raid a cakewalk. Items are items, but when it comes down to game mechanics, gear will always be meaningless if there's no skill.
    The guild/group of people you're with are still going to have to struggle through these raids; they're going to have to learn the encounters, figure out what everyone should be doing and trying to be as efficient as possible doing it;  they're still going to be dying, and if you can't finish the raid you don't get ANYTHING still. Well, I mean the full amount of items that everyone believes will be no challenge to acquire.
    How about not worrying about the gear and focus on the encounters themselves for once?
    That's what this system is for. Making it more about the gameplay than just the gear. Make everything less of a headache by eliminating the need for DKP systems, the annoyance of having to roll for items against a ton of other people and winding up with nothing for your hard work, and make it easier on the raid leader to get things done. Of course, ninja looting will be a thing of the past as well.
    There's nothing but benefits to this system. Those memories you have are never as good as you remember, and if this game had similar issues as you were speaking of, the more crying on forums and such it'll bring. The game will go from being a co-operative, fun experience, back to being a competitive one where everyone truly IS out for themselves.

The only people I knew that thought everyone was competing for loot were the people that showed up once a month, late ... and without consumables .. and then were astonished when they didn't get loot despite doing little more than a PuG 2 tiers behind them could have done. I guess I have just never understood loot envy, as you so eloquently try to state .. I play for fun, but I also understand that me being committed to the guild, and there every week regardless of whether I get loot, allows others and myself to have fun more consistently. Not having to stress about whether or not we are going to wipe for 2 hours because the bug tank we have doesn't know what a shield slam is. In a good guild, 2 more str doesn't really mean all that much anyway especially when you consider someone in your guild got it anyway, so there is still going to be a marginal DPS increase.

Beyond that, I'd bet my left toe that this system won't decrease the amount of time it takes for you to get loot except in the rare occasion that the RNG decides to bless you. In fact in my experience it increases it because people become lazy and lean on things like "I'd rather watch TV instead of healing my friends .. makes no difference I'll get the badges I need on the easy bosses when the raid resets tomorrow". So all we are trading for the inability to see a guild as a team .. is a lot of complacency.

But really my point was .. you go on about how this is an escape from the real world .. how it's just supposed to be fun .. and then you say you NEED something from the game? That just doesn't make sense to me I guess. And then of course you have to make personal attacks to backup your point. What part of that was fun, or meant to be fun?

And finally just like people will draw lines between the worst storms, wildfires, etc in recorded history and global warming, people are going to draw conclusions between this self entitlement that is so rampant in our society these days and our inability in the US to innovate and make anything new to compete on the world market. The micorcosims are everywhere!! Maybe it's just easier to see them when the people that work for you take off an hour early every day and then complain they don't get a bonus.

Last time I checked. We were paying to play GAMES... not work.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

This is great, I have a friend who experiences acute nerdrage when he doesn't get a drop at the end of a raid/dungeon. This should increase his ability to play due to lack of self-inflicted ball punching and isolation.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• MetsisMetsis Member Posts: 66

I'm quite sure, that even SWTOR will have one of those "elite" raids that could give you drops that you can't buy from anywhere else... It would be quite sad that all the Jedi/Sith walk around with a legendary relic strapped to their chests, since only one of those things should exist. I like this system though. I've loved it since I played DDO for the first time in 2006. No ninjas and no huge drama queen theatrics... You can focus on the game more and worry about the loot as an after thought.

The "you can buy it" is probably true for 99,8% of the items available to you in the game... I'm not an elitist, but there should be something to tell people apart from each other, instead of everyone just wearing the same "mega" set of gear. Or at least I hope there is some sort of a "costume UI" in the game in which you can select what gear is showing on you. I didn't like the bounty hunter TANK armors much, the armor they should have should look like a flexible easy to maneuver in and not like "look at this thing, you can shoot a cannon at it and it won't budge" thing. Those last armor sets just looked like Terminator armor from Warhammer 40k, and that is not cool...

• S_t_e_e_lS_t_e_e_l Member Posts: 9

This system seems like it will be good for the community as a whole, however, the tiny elitist in me hopes that there will be something like a 1 and 3 chance to get and item and get badges the other 2 out of 3 times. Also hoping that there will be at least a few items that won't be buyable, something from an endboss or something similar even if I would never have a chance to get it.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

For someone who claims to have played these games for as long as you have, you're using a very strange and loose argument. You NEED upgrades in a game in order to progress. No one's going to play a game if nothing ever changes on your character or you're not advancing in some way, because it would be pointless to do so.

Everyone NEEDS something, and that's the whole reason to play. Once you stop needing anything, the desire to play stops. That's all there is to it.

No one really said anything about it taking LESS time to get items, but at least there'll be a constant state of advancement in everything being done, and you know the time and effort you put into the game WILL yield results... not only have a small chance of doing so for the time required.

I understand your guild camaraderie situation, but this is still a better system because now there won't be any reason for the guild to have in-fighting over loot drops, and you know the whole guild is progressing without any added drama during raids and such. Anything to cut down on drama is an important step forward.

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

nice, no more 4 hour raids without any actual reward :P

me likes!

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

I think we are seing here two types of raiders here:Raider Type A: You dedicate hours, and hours, and hours, and hours of your life in order to get the most powerfull items in the world to dress up your favorite doll... SORRY! I MEANT ACTION FIGURE!!!Raider Type B: You play the game because it's challenging, it's a lot of fun, and you like to have some epic battles alongside your friends.I'm a Type B.

Im mostly type B these days as well .. I do really enjoy raiding with a fun guild, even when I dont get loot and the raid leader is pissy. Ive even been the pissy raid leader. None of that really has anything to do with the loot distribution we are talking about here. Ive also been type B in the past, as well ... and it really never bothered me if I didnt get loot .. though I usually did despite not being at the top of the DkP charts. Did I get that one trinket with a 2% drop rate that every [insert role here] wanted, no .. but I usually ended up with a set piece or two.

On the flip side, when I was the pissy raid leader .. I personally handed out mountains of loot to people I'd never met before and probably never saw most of them again.

I have just never seen a major problem with loot. It's quite possible that there are just a lot of poorly run raids out there .. because my raids were never super successful and everyone usually ended up with most of the things they wanted by the end of an expansion. A little less so personally when I couldnt raid fulltime, but I had fun .. so who cares?

Yea, sorry. I forgot to make the point.

I think this loot system aims to drive players towards my Type B cathegory. I think that by giving the chance to everyone of getting a reward after a Boss, they want you to focus on the HAVE FUN part, and not BE A LOOT SKITZOID!

• KyBoKyBo Member UncommonPosts: 140

I think we are seing here two types of raiders here:

Raider Type A: You dedicate hours, and hours, and hours, and hours of your life in order to get the most powerfull items in the world to dress up your favorite doll... SORRY! I MEANT ACTION FIGURE!!!

Raider Type B: You play the game because it's challenging, it's a lot of fun, and you like to have some epic battles alongside your friends.

I'm a Type B.

I agree.  Those who want to grind the same content until playing through said content induces nausea in order to get the rare "Ep1c Geerz," then will most likely not be pleased with this style of loot distribution.  Those who enjoy playing through raids for the enjoyment and challenge, and see loot simply as the means to enjoy the next level of content will see this as a positive move.  This idea isn't enough for me to forgive all of the problems I have with this game, but it is a step in the right direction, for both TOR and the genre as a whole.

P.S.  For the love of G-O-D, do NOT refer to anything related to TOR as "dolls."  I referred to the sith "statue" that people who preordered the CE recieved, and are apparently very protective of, as a doll and an "inaction-figure," and sent a few of these "statue" collectors right off the rails.  They also do not appreciate it if you joke that passionately collecting and proudly displaying said "statues" greatly increase their odds of remaining a virgin until death.  Consider yourself warned, LOL.  

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

This is a great idea. I am surprised how come Rift didn't think of this. I am not into hardcore raiding but i hate the loot drama and it really puts me off the raids.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Fantastic concept.  For years I've been saying something like this has been needed in MMOs.  As someone who ran a 'guild' many years ago in a game I no longer play I must say the duty of managing drops is a complete catch 22, no matter what you do you're screwed.  It's nice to see the removal of such needless drama mechanics.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

Originally posted by Roccprofit

I think this is a great idea, I can not count the number of times I have seen some jerk roll need on somethig not because he needed it but, just to deprive someone else from having it. That type of behaivor is childish and inmature and I for 1 am glad to see SWTOR is taking steps to prevent that type of childish nonsense.

this is what the crowd that wow brought to the genre does for fun, they need roll stuff they already have or have better than, just to be dicks.

back in the days of dkp if you wanted something you spent hard earned points on it and it kept everyone on a level playing field.

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Gawd I hate raiding.  Why does my gaming dollar have subsidize this game play that I rarely participate in?