Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will this game change the MMO landscape?

JimLadJimLad Member CommonPosts: 187

I'd like to see more MMOFPS', or just MMO twitch based games that aren't so reliant on stat building.

Planetside 1 is a great example of that, but most people can't see past the dated visuals and physics.

I think if this new game got a big enough following, it could really change things in the MMO space and the FPS space.

I'm not suggesting it would topple the big MMORPGs or anything, but it would be great to open up massively multiplayer online gaming to other genres.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I do indeed think there will be a shift to mmofps, but I don't think it will be down to PS2 alone. A few mmos are already pushing the action/twitch combat stance and a few other mmofps' (Tribes/FireFall) are already on their way.

The customerbase is there, it's really all down to the technology side of things now.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

I wouldn't mind if the large scale dynamics of Planetside stay exclusive to Planetside and Planetside 2. Tbh, I have a lot of invested nostalgia and good memories in this IP, and It is the type of game that can evolve off of itself if you update it properly, without the need for large ammount of competition offering similar things.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Actually PS2 will change a MMO landscape, though not the one WoW or RIFT is in. It's more of a persistant, large-scale FPS combat. Which, of course, will hit hard for actiion gamers. Think of PS2, less MMO, and more of a super-awesome-large-scale-first-person-shooter. PS lost intererst to FPS'ers because of the slacked shooting mechanic, and lack of hit-box's. Despite all that, it's still amazingly fun. When you hop in a gal with your buddies and drop right ontop of a heated battle situation, or when a few stealth's enter from the back door, take out the respawn tubes and pave a way for the MAX's to push through towards the control console. Every second of planetside is fun. I'm psyched for PS2. The second I heard about it, I closed out my SWTOR forum windows and franticly spammed youtube to watch the trailer. 

VS for life.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

Originally posted by Sora2810

Actually PS2 will change a MMO landscape, though not the one WoW or RIFT is in. It's more of a persistant, large-scale FPS combat. Which, of course, will hit hard for actiion gamers. Think of PS2, less MMO, and more of a super-awesome-large-scale-first-person-shooter. PS lost intererst to FPS'ers because of the slacked shooting mechanic, and lack of hit-box's. Despite all that, it's still amazingly fun. When you hop in a gal with your buddies and drop right ontop of a heated battle situation, or when a few stealth's enter from the back door, take out the respawn tubes and pave a way for the MAX's to push through towards the control console. Every second of planetside is fun. I'm psyched for PS2. The second I heard about it, I closed out my SWTOR forum windows and franticly spammed youtube to watch the trailer. 

VS for life.

Lol I know the feeling. I've been hyped for swtor lately, and now that Planetside has been made official with website and trailer, I have just been doing discussion about PS2 and catching up on pannel discussions, ect. 

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

If it's done right it might have an impact, but it needs to be a proper FPS MMO ie "twitch" based, rather than use the horrible Cone of Fire they used in Planetside. That was my one big problem with PS, that stupid CoF.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

If it's done right it might have an impact, but it needs to be a proper FPS MMO ie "twitch" based, rather than use the horrible Cone of Fire they used in Planetside. That was my one big problem with PS, that stupid CoF.

not sure what you mean by cone of fire, i found planetside to be pretty good as an MMOFPS.. at least until the BFR's spoiled things.. the fact that you couldnt move and fire at the same time with any accuracy was imo.. a very good thing - in vehicles it made it a damn site more exciting.. hareing across the countryside in a jeep trying to shoot back at mossy's etc.. was hillarious. as was mowing down other infantry with the machine gun image  .. and getting splatted by a lucky shot from a tank too..

but best of all, it was a 3 way battle, and thats always more interesting than any 1 v 1 fight... which inevitably becomes boring.image

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

PS2 will release then blizzard will steal all the good stuff from it, make it better and release it with titan.

if the game is free to play, possibly buy to play with optinal sub or something, i think it can be a success, the general target here is FPS players, they;re not accustomed to paying a sub, and most when asked about planetside and paying to have massive battles most respond with " yea but i can play COD with 32 players for free"...but planetside has 400 per map "yea but i can play with 32 players for free"

pay to play will be a tough sell to most FPS players.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

Just about all FPS have CoF. Even ones that don't "show" the CoF, have it in the programming. Also, SOE has mentioned several times that they are making Planetside 2 twitch based which they noted the original was not.

• ellobo29ellobo29 Member UncommonPosts: 423

GAME CHANGING? probably not.... but still will be hella fun. Im curious because theres almost this entire generational gap that seprates the old PS players and the current online gamer base.

I would almost think that PS2 will  beat out its predacessor in every way. At least i hope so

• MagsatoMagsato Member Posts: 230

Originally posted by denshing

Just about all FPS have CoF. Even ones that don't "show" the CoF, have it in the programming. Also, SOE has mentioned several times that they are making Planetside 2 twitch based which they noted the original was not.

I really, really would not like to see it become twitch based. I dont feel like it will have the same flow as the original PS did. I mean holding the Gen in a Biolab, everyone bracing for the enemy to run into the room and just filling the door with fire so that nothing can get through to do significant damage, if it changes to a more twitch based CoD style play, then even the few shots they get off will end up "headshotting" (if they truly keep it in line modern FPS as they have said they wish to do) someone and severely diminishing the ability to maintain the area.

However, I am applying new ideas to old situations, so it will be necessary to see at least some beta footage/in game footage to truly tell if it is, in my opinion, Call of Planetside.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Change the land scape of MMO's?

depends on what sort of change your seeking.

what i do see,  barring if SOE makes a successful product, that the MMO genre will expand, not so much change.

the MMO scene as far as FPS goes is WIDE OPEN...seriously wide open, i wont even mention the other games as i say that there are alot of people that would give a game like planetside a chance, and alot of them being from the shooter genre.

subscription pricing will be the major hurdle to cross, SOE needs to convince such a large genre base that PS2 is worth it, and that it is a experience that you will not find anywhere else in the FPS universe.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

I just started playing Planetside for the first time this week I'm enjoying the game so far, picked it up off Direct 2 Drive for 10$, finding it a bit tough to gain xp against  players  that have played there forever  so i chose a non-combat role medic, engineer, hacker with the points I got so far I'll be fine though, first FPS I've played on a PC in years , suprisingly havent run into any people hacking/aimbots, so that is a GOOD thing. Look forward to what the 2nd one brings to the table...

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

To me, Planetside 2 is a chance to relive the hey-days of Planetside 1. It's a nostalgic return that I am looking forward to wholeheartedly.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Heck no ! By all appearance this game is geared more to utilizing the PS 3 and recouping $ony's investment in it. While it'll porbably have some bright spots , the real question will be ? Is it innovative in it's gameplay , what does it bring that's new to the MMO world ? Honestly for a FPS point of view,  it'll be ho hum , same old , same old. With FPS games bring destructible environment to PC and consoles , this game may well be dated before it's ever released.

• MagsatoMagsato Member Posts: 230
    Im gonna come out and assume did not play the original Planetside I take it?
  • JimLadJimLad Member CommonPosts: 187

Originally posted by Beanpuie.

what i do see,  barring if SOE makes a successful product, that the MMO genre will expand, not so much change.

Change, expand, you know what I mean. :P

We say MMO and a lot of people immediately think MMORPG. To me MMO is huge maps, hundreds (at least) of players, persistant worlds...

I guess on some level those things will inevitably lead to a form of role playing. But you could have MMOFPS with themes like a post apocalypse setting, or zombie survival, or space pirates. Games that are fast paced and rely completely on your own skill, not on stats or levels. Like console games that take place in a massive world with hundreds of players.

I know it's been tried by various MMORPGs, but they never really managed to make that clean break from character building. There's always been some sort of grind or way to make your character better than the other guy's. I'd like to see more MMOs that are just: Gun>Crosshair>Shoot>Dodge, or Sword>Enemy>Attack>Parry. Hands on combat on a level playing field.

But I agree, subscription costs are the main obstacle with selling an MMOFPS.

• xZeRGzxZeRGz Member Posts: 118

PS2 has the potential to be epic.

Further, if done right, it could steal a nice chunk of the future player-base of those 2 other up-and-coming AAA games.

My 2 cents.

Go NC!

• DegenatronDegenatron Member Posts: 2

Originally posted by JimLad

I'd like to see more MMOFPS', or just MMO twitch based games that aren't so reliant on stat building.

Planetside 1 is a great example of that, but most people can't see past the dated visuals and physics.

I think if this new game got a big enough following, it could really change things in the MMO space and the FPS space.

I'm not suggesting it would topple the big MMORPGs or anything, but it would be great to open up massively multiplayer online gaming to other genres.

What do you guys think?

I think we are seeing a real sea-change here. Not in the MMORPG world, but within the FPS world. Players and developers are looking for that next level of depth in the multiplayer FPS genre. It has (arguably) been achieved in the single-player, story-telling aspect in games like Half-life and Deus Ex, but the multiplayer experience has been stagnent for the last few years.

Planetside was simply too far ahead of its time when it came out in 2003. Now that the technology - namely high-bandwidth client connections - has caught up, I think we're going to be seeing far more MMOFPSs. While I perfer Planetside, I have no doubt that Tribes will be the top-dog, assuming Hi-Rez can keep from falling flat on their faces like they did with Global Agenda. Tribes' success will be the catalyst that will blow open the MMOFPS genre.

Originally posted by Phry

not sure what you mean by cone of fire, i found planetside to be pretty good as an MMOFPS.. at least until the BFR's spoiled things.. the fact that you couldnt move and fire at the same time with any accuracy was imo.. a very good thing - in vehicles it made it a damn site more exciting.. hareing across the countryside in a jeep trying to shoot back at mossy's etc.. was hillarious. as was mowing down other infantry with the machine gun .. and getting splatted by a lucky shot from a tank too..

but best of all, it was a 3 way battle, and thats always more interesting than any 1 v 1 fight... which inevitably becomes boring.

I agree with Phry 100%. Every FPS has a CoF, and the BFRs did indeed spoil Planetside. Although, after the announcement of PS2, I got back into PS, and was pleasantly suprised to find that the BFRs are a lot fewer and farther between than they used to be.

Originally posted by skyexile

PS2 will release then blizzard will steal all the good stuff from it, make it better and release it with titan.

if the game is free to play, possibly buy to play with optinal sub or something, i think it can be a success, the general target here is FPS players, they;re not accustomed to paying a sub, and most when asked about planetside and paying to have massive battles most respond with " yea but i can play COD with 32 players for free"...but planetside has 400 per map "yea but i can play with 32 players for free"

pay to play will be a tough sell to most FPS players.

I don't think Blizzard is intrested in the FPS genre, so "stealing" ideas from PS2, while maybe possible, won't make anything Blizzard puts out a replacement for PS2.

As for subscribing to an FPS - I'll say this: Planetside is the ONLY game I've ever subscribed to. Many have become jaded with the "Free to Play" model because it's really "Pay to Win" - look at World of Tanks and their system of charging players for the good ammunition. That type of "free to play" would kill Planetside.

Pay to play also has the added bonus of allowing SOE to shut off accounts of cheaters, and extremely apealing notion to those of us who want a hack-free game.

Originally posted by denshing

Also, SOE has mentioned several times that they are making Planetside 2 twitch based which they noted the original was not.

How is PS1 not a twitch game?! It's all about aim, shoot, and dodge. You may be thinking about what Matt Higby was talking about when he said that they were going to increase the leathality of the weapons - a change that Planetside can definately use. It's still twitch, but MORE twitchy.

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Heck no ! By all appearance this game is geared more to utilizing the PS 3 and recouping $ony's investment in it. While it'll porbably have some bright spots , the real question will be ? Is it innovative in it's gameplay , what does it bring that's new to the MMO world ? Honestly for a FPS point of view, it'll be ho hum , same old , same old. With FPS games bring destructible environment to PC and consoles , this game may well be dated before it's ever released.

It's doubtful that PS2 will be on the Playstation 3, that would put it in direct competition with Dust 514. I don't think SOE has ever ported any of thier games to the Playstation.

Frankly, I don't want to see "inovation". I want to see a graphics and physics overhaul and a no more BFRs. Done. That's golden in my opinion. They're going to try a new territory control system, and I hope it works out - we'll see.

Destructible enviorments are a gemmick for showing off physics models. PS2 does not need that kind of fluff. It needs to be streamlined - lean and mean - to keep framerates high. I'd rather have 500 destructable PEOPLE to blow to peices.

D-Gen