Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Character Customization and PvP at Gamescom

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

In an update to the official ArenaNet blog, Guild Wars 2 Community Manager Martin Kerstein outlined ArenaNet's plans for the upcoming European gaming mega-show, gamescom, plans that include the debut of character customization and PvP.

In addition to the first reveals of PvP and character customization, gamesr will have access to the Charr starting experience as well as all seven currently revealed professions. Gamers will also be able to get their very first hands-on with the Asura and Sylvari as part of a pair of mid and high level demos available at the show.

Visit the official ArenaNet blog for the full details.

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Yes. Eager to see body types customization.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • illyanaillyana Member UncommonPosts: 614

cant wait to see the sylvari redesign and the asura animation that i heard was awesome

Have fun storming the castle! - Miracle Max

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Not blaming anyone here, but I do have to say that some of us expected this post to have showed up about three days ago.

• DiovidiusDiovidius Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

It has been stated by devs that the exact same demo will run at PAX Prime so American fans will also get their chance to try out all those juicy new features.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by Alot

Not blaming anyone here, but I do have to say that some of us expected this post to have showed up about three days ago.

Seems everyone was taking a break after Comic-con.

This is not a game.

• JaxaarJaxaar Member Posts: 73

i hope they post some of this stuff in Youtube..... since most of us cant go to Gamescon :(

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292

pvp.... image

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Sylvari and PvP! I'm stoked.

• MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716

More than anything else, I want to see videos of customization and PvP.  Since those are probably two of the features I will invest most heavily in.

I'm looking forward to spending hours tweaking my characters to perfection. :D  ... then killing people in PvP!  Whee.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

Character customization is what im looking forward to seeing. I hope its something I can spend hours doing like with city of heroes. And looking for great looking armor/clothes will keep me playing forever.

• z80paranoiaz80paranoia Member Posts: 410

my hope is that we will be able to make a fat female norn with fatness levels that exceed possible fatness levels obtainable by human and sylvari women

Guild Wars 2 is my religion

Originally posted by olisud

It is human paladin on that picture in Swamp of Sorrow fighting with aligator, right?

Human Warrior.

This is not a game.

• meissner61meissner61 Member Posts: 7

yay voxels - but yeah the biggest problem  with voxels is you cannot animate them so you still always need a mixture of polygons and voxels

Originally posted by meissner61

yay voxels - but yeah the biggest problem  with voxels is you cannot animate them so you still always need a mixture of polygons and voxels

What are voxels?

This is not a game.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Sounds like the game will be out around Spring '12.  Looong wait, yet... oof.

• ChilliesauceChilliesauce Member Posts: 559

Originally posted by Zeroxin

What are voxels?

You never played pc game OUTCAST?

Originally posted by Chilliesauce

Originally posted by Zeroxin

What are voxels?

You never played pc game OUTCAST?

Is that; A PC game called Outcast? Or I'm an outcast who hasn't played PC game?

This is not a game.

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

I have preordered SWTOR and plan on buying GW2. Therefore I am looking forward to the info from this EUropean Con to find out more about the game. Since it will be B2P I also would like to have more info such as: will there be an MT store? Will you play full game and then simply buy new expansions?

Particularly looking forward to character customization and hope those of us not able to attend the Con will have some way to try it out ourselves, altho realize that is not likely. This is a class based fantasy system with skills 'guided' toward selections for those classes. However, overall I think they will have enough variety that won't gimp nonguided skill selections too much and thus let us play more like we want than in present fantasy games. Glad they are showing PvP, which is a 'shrug' to me but hope this is not a PvP centric game. Content amount will be important for both PVE and PVP. Type of content, we will play and see I guess.

I am counting on MMORPG and GW2 website to let us non-attending players get access to as much of the new released info as possible. So far I am still willing to buy the game, I enjoy a fantasy MMO and this might be the one I am looking for.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by garry

I have preordered SWTOR and plan on buying GW2. Therefore I am looking forward to the info from this EUropean Con to find out more about the game. Since it will be B2P I also would like to have more info such as: will there be an MT store? Will you play full game and then simply buy new expansions?

Particularly looking forward to character customization and hope those of us not able to attend the Con will have some way to try it out ourselves, altho realize that is not likely. This is a class based fantasy system with skills 'guided' toward selections for those classes. However, overall I think they will have enough variety that won't gimp nonguided skill selections too much and thus let us play more like we want than in present fantasy games. Glad they are showing PvP, which is a 'shrug' to me but hope this is not a PvP centric game. Content amount will be important for both PVE and PVP. Type of content, we will play and see I guess.

I am counting on MMORPG and GW2 website to let us non-attending players get access to as much of the new released info as possible. So far I am still willing to buy the game, I enjoy a fantasy MMO and this might be the one I am looking for.

There will be a store, but it will not affect character power.  You can look at the GW1 store to get an idea of what's for sale.  There's costumes which have no stats, additional character slots but you have 6-8 to start, additional bank tabs but you have 5 in game to start, skill unlock packs of which all skills are unlockable in game and Mercenary Heroes which are vanity items (be able to play with an NPC hero version of one of your other toons) but could be slight power in some circumstances. 

We don't know exactly what it will have, but you won't have to buy anything if you don't want to.

We also don't know what their expansion plan is.  With GW1, you can boot up the box you bought and you're totally competitive, they never even raised the level cap.  GW1 released standalone games, but they want to get away from that because it separated the player base and added complexity to new players.  So we're not sure what they're going to do, but it's a safe bet that you only have to purchase what you want to purchase, and you're not forced to do anything.

As far as skills go, half your skill bar at any time is determined by your weapon(s).  What they found was that some people are just not good at making builds, so they wanted to make it so you can't possibly gimp yourself.  Your other half of the bar are your own choices of skills.  Even your choice of weapons can affect your playstyle.  A warrior's longbow is an AOE weapon, a rifle is a single target weapon.  You have the choice to play however you want, all classes have close and long range options.  You do also have a wide variety of traits which will let you customize your skills (making sword attacks bleed, or add a cripple to your axe throw skill, for example).  You can have the same weapons as someone and still play very differently because of this.

The open world is entirely PVE.  Not only are all 5 races on the same faction, they're doing everything they can to make griefing completely impossible in the game.  The world is going to be huge, with 1500+ events (they replace quests) and 8 dungeons, each with 4 paths.  Each player will have their own branching personal storyline as well in PVE.  For PVP, there will also be 2-week long battles that take place across 4 zones against 2 other servers, but it's totally separate from PVE.

I hope these answered your questions, or at least gives you an idea of what you should expect and can hope to verify from demo footage.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007