Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Outside the MMO Box: The Ocarina of Time 3D

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Nintendo seems to have been running on a nostalgic bent lately with the re-release of Goldeneye on Wii as well as The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time 3D for Nintendo 3DS. In today's Outside the MMO Box column, MMORPG.com's Adam Tingle takes a look at Legend of Zelda to see if it measures up to the original. See if you agree and then let us know your thoughts in the comments.

In essence Nintendo have released little more than a port of the original 64-bit game. The story is still the same, the gameplay is intact, and in all it stills feels so nineties that a better tagline would have been "Fresh Prince of Hyrule". None of this however, is a bad thing, here is a game that didn't need tweaking or fiddling with, Miyamoto managed to jam brilliance into a cartridge a decade previous, and a similar act has been perpetrated here.

Read more of Adam Tingle's Outside the MMO Box: The Ocarina of Time 3D.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GigachipGigachip Member UncommonPosts: 35

Bought the game, now I'm just waiting for the 3DS price drop :D

Cant wait to play it now

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Zelda Ocarina of Time was an amazing game for the time.  I gave up on hand held gaming after the psp though, because as cool as it was my neck would start hurting when I played it.

As for 3d, I'd love to see the 3ds in action.  But I have a 55 inch 3d led tv and it reallly does add something extra to gaming.  I guess I'm one of the lucky ones too, as I experience no eye strain, head aches, etc.  Also glasses don't bother me, but if there was a glasses free option that worked as well I would definitly buy it at some future date.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I've tried to play this game two or three times, but the terrible graphics quirky immature controls ruin it for me before I can get into it.  This was the era of 3D looks worse than 2D, and it's almost a wonder we didn't give up on the concept entirely because of it.

On a very small screen like the 3ds has, perhaps it's bearable.  If I ever get a 3ds, this title will be on my short list of games to play I'm sure, but for now it's not even remotely worth the money.

• TheFirst109TheFirst109 Member UncommonPosts: 182

@adam

The graphics were enhanced greatly for the 3ds port and I don't know about immature controls they seem pretty awesome to me lol. I thought at first you were commenting on the game for the 3ds but then I saw you hadn't tried it on 3ds. I'm guessing you tried the n64 version recently and were expecting non-crappy graphics? Otherwise I'm not sure where you're going with your comments since for the time period it came out, OoT had great graphics...

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

some games are timeless...pun intended.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

One of my all time favorites!

I still have my N64 with Zelda OoT.

And now 14years later im playing it on my 3DS mobile who would have tought that back then you could play it someday on a handheld and graphics even looking better.

Controlls on 3DS are perfect i dont see any flaw.

I loved the game back then and i love it now on my 3DS its best game on 3DS prolly will for longtime.

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

Ah yes, this really is one of the best games I have ever played back in the days. It had a great story, amazing visuals and controls (for its time), and a huge amount of content. None of the newer Zelda games really came close to OoT, they were very short and several missed 'that special thing'.

Infact, it's because I never could find other singleplayer games with as much depth and content as OoT that I gave up on singleplayer games entirely. Most of them these days you can finish in 2 hours of play time. The search for more in-depth games eventually brought me to MMO's.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by grimm6th

some games are timeless...pun intended.

^Good skills : )

I think the use of the Ocarina to produce magical melodies was an exceptionally memorable and a simply wonderful part of this RPG and vital Link with the equally wonderful story ; ) .

I just would like to see the Nintendo not make the same mistakes with the 3DS as they often have in the past:

1. High cartridge price (this is untenable in the age of apps imo)

2. Lack of 3rd party alternative games/software

3. Greater support for back-catalogue and pricing

4. Greater connectivity, online and multiplayer options for the titles on this platform

5. Overall a much larger catalogue of games to choose from eg comparison again with app/Android stores.