Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO without raiding

EikornEikorn Member Posts: 5

Hi there.

I am a guy who loves MMO's and that has a lot of time on my hands. However I study and work at strange hours, which limits my raiding opportunities. Whenever I play a game I play to be the best - Having the best equipment, the most skill etc. You know the drill.

I did play WoW earlier and did just play half a year of Rift. I have enjoyed both games, but since I cannot commit to raiding, I cannot get to the top, which is a shame really, as I play a lot.

Are there any good MMO's out there without raids? I know GW2 will be one, but since it isnt out yet.

Thanks in Advance. 

Comments

• AsgrimAsgrim Member UncommonPosts: 92

Try Darkfall. No raids and you can just about always find a good fight. The game isn't too focused on equipment, but player skill is important!

• vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Just looking at darkfall on u tube reaaly put me off that game for good. Always u tube gameplays first .

To the OP you are like me regarding times of play , but i just dont like raiding. A good game for you could be Dark age of camelot, the best pvp game i have ever played. Really dont need to do any raiding there as the game is mostly pvp.

Lotro , again a good game , with raiding but has lots to do if you dont want to raid, great storyline too. Pvp isnt that exciting there imho .

Aoc , great gfx and character models etc, not to sure about raiding there but it does look a game you could heavily invest in time wise, as you stated you play a lot.

Eve online , wasnt my thing but is an open universe kinda, so that also may float your boat.

There are a fee games comming soon , keep a look out for Prime, hopefully it will be similar to Daoc , more pvp orientated than a boring raiding game.

Hope you find your game, and let us know how you get on as i know thetes many people who dont like or cant raid and are looking for a game like you and i .
  • toodlepip123toodlepip123 Member Posts: 125

Originally posted by Asgrim

Try Darkfall. No raids and you can just about always find a good fight. The game isn't too focused on equipment, but player skill is important!

But its an abysmal game. Theyre even wiping every single thing any character has ever done. Rendering any time youve spent playing it, null and void.   Think, would you like to be associated with a developer that releases a broken and buggy game, charges you more than any other developer for the intial game and sub, when the game is no more than a paid alpha test.

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Given what you stated you're looking for I'll go ahead and repeat the suggestion of DAoC. Playing on Ywain you can jump on pretty much anytime and find RvR, battlegrounds if you prefer, and success is largely based on skill assuming you're running with others. Solo you'll be looking at paying out for a good template which can be somewhat taxing for a brand new character, and maybe a buffbot if you're really into being uber. But there's no real fixed time requirement unless you want to run with guild/alliance RvR nights.

Edit: Whilst I've listed my gripes about the way DAoC is at the moment elsewhere I'll just add here it really carries, (in my opinion), one of the better endgame models out there, provided you like killing other people.

• EikornEikorn Member Posts: 5

Thanks for your replies.

DAoC may sound decent, however I do not feel like playing a game that is nearly ten years old on my new computer. Seems like a waste in some way, if you understand? 

My problem regarding raids is that I do not want to miss out on 50 % of the game, because i cannot play at fixed times. In Rift, for instance, their focus is on developing new raid instances. So I am paying for a service that I will never get to use. Kind of stupid, huh? So that is why I rather find a game without raid instances. I do not want to miss out on the great stuff.

I am looking into AoC, I am very curious if I will like that kind of game - It has raiding none the less.

Nightfall does not look to good in my opinion. I tend to stay away from the f2p, as they are normally f2p for a reason. :)

It seems like I have to wait for GW2, to find the game for me.

• Damage99Damage99 Member UncommonPosts: 202

Not all guilds raid during EST primetime.  Look around you'll find one that raids during your playtime.  Unless your real issue is that you dont like raiding.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by Eikorn

Hi there.

I am a guy who loves MMO's and that has a lot of time on my hands. However I study and work at strange hours, which limits my raiding opportunities. Whenever I play a game I play to be the best - Having the best equipment, the most skill etc. You know the drill.

I did play WoW earlier and did just play half a year of Rift. I have enjoyed both games, but since I cannot commit to raiding, I cannot get to the top, which is a shame really, as I play a lot.

Are there any good MMO's out there without raids? I know GW2 will be one, but since it isnt out yet.

Thanks in Advance. 

How about Aion, got a recent facelift. Since you play so much, grind-leveling shouldn't be problem. Endgame is about fortress PvP

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• vkejaivkejai Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Unfortunately the gamrs to choose from currently are very poor if you dont want to raid.

Theres always call of duty ;)
  • EikornEikorn Member Posts: 5

I tried AoC, but it did not feel "right", in any way.So i skipped it just after the tutorial.

I also tried GW - but that game cannot get me hooked either for some reason.

Rift and WoW are still the best MMORPGS that I have played, and that by far. Too bad both of them are focused on raiding..

Aion is a raid game also, no?

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by vkejai

Unfortunately the gamrs to choose from currently are very poor if you dont want to raid.

Theres always call of duty ;)

. . .b-u-t. . .that's the epitome of a lobby-system redundant raid.

• getonagetona Member UncommonPosts: 98

I tried AoC, but it did not feel "right", in any way.So i skipped it just after the tutorial.

Rift and WoW are still the best MMORPGS that I have played, and that by far. Too bad both of them are focused on raiding..

There is raid but it's like Open World Boss. THe end -game pvp  in broken in Aion US  , its a huge-grindfest but enjoyed it for abit.

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

Any mmo can be no raiding ^_^. But if you are wanting top gear for non raiding it might be best to play the older games

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Originally posted by toodlepip123

But its an abysmal game. Theyre even wiping every single thing any character has ever done. Rendering any time youve spent playing it, null and void.   Think, would you like to be associated with a developer that releases a broken and buggy game, charges you more than any other developer for the intial game and sub, when the game is no more than a paid alpha test.

Uhhhh... wait, where do you read that? They never said that they were 100% wiping, they said it's in discussions and it might happen, but no where have they said it WILL happen. Misinformation is the worst evil of forums.

• luciusETRURluciusETRUR Member Posts: 442

Best polished games, maybe.. that doesn't neccesarily make them the best MMOGs.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

no.

there are some raids but it's mostly a pvp or straight up pve game. At top level there are a few raids but I think it becomes more of a pvp game at that point.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • getonagetona Member UncommonPosts: 98

Tera doesnt have Raids, there is 5-man dungeons (Best in Slot PVE gear). It is puggable but you still want a static group to get gear fast. In Aion you can get the best gear in the game by soloing / 5-man but it's gonna be 30x harder without having a static group. Aion is now PVE game PVP is quite dead. In KR 2.7 Open World PVP doesnt exist. (All instanced).

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

This is not true in any way at all...

The game has been out for 2 years it has not been an alpha or beta test. MMOs are developed over time and thats how they all work.

They are going to release Darkfall 2.0 at some point this year.. its a complete re-design of the game, with new graphics and new mechanics. They are possibly looking at bringing characters and equipment over to the new game but they might not so yes this would mean starting from scratch again.. not really the end of the world as character development is superfast now with increased stat gains and offline meditation.

Game was slighty expensive on release but sub is the same as any other.. but the game can be picked up cheap now..

Darkfall is not for everyone tho,its mainly a pvp based game with a full loot system so you can loose everything you have on you.. some people cant get theirs heads around that and just rage quit blaming the game for their lack of skill..

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by Caldrin

Darkfall is not for everyone tho,its mainly a pvp based game with a full loot system so you can loose everything you have on you.. some people cant get theirs heads around that and just rage quit blaming the game for their lack of skill..

You mean the lack of skill to macro-bot their skillups while AFK, or the lack of skill to get 4 or 5 friends to go gank newbyes?

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Originally posted by gordiflu

Originally posted by Caldrin

You mean the lack of skill to macro-bot their skillups while AFK, or the lack of skill to get 4 or 5 friends to go gank newbyes?

Never macroed here I just played the game and had fun doing it. Still am..

Yes you will get people going around ganking newbs but for me when I was a noob that made the game more exciting..

Like i said its not for everyone.