Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: The "Real Money" Auction House

Comments

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241

Don't be haters, Diablo 2 was filled to the brim with private shops selling ingame items, there really is no way for Blizzard to stop them, so why not sell them themselves, making privately run shops obsolete?  The game revolves around loot for the most part and in no way does 1 person having pimped out gear hinder your gameplay, it's not an MMO.  You have any idea how much money dupers and hackers made selling items?  Shit when the d2:lod came out a windforce was selling for like 300 bucks. Not to mention the plethora of uniques and runewords selling for hundreds of dollars.  This went on for almost a year before prices dropped.  It's the best thing they can do to prevent dupers from running the game, because we all know it's impossible to stop cheaters no matter what safeguards they put up.   I think it's a good idea from a business standpoint, just wish it didn't have to come to that to stop the dupers.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

This looks like a pretty good idea.

There is a few potential flaws though; it could attract every virtual item farmer between the Mississippi and Yang-Tze river. But then again ... they'll be playing in their own shard of the gameworld anyway and all the competition in the supply end of the market spectrum will probably keep prices down.

Provided their security is solid (versus bots & hacks mainly), and as long as you can still trade items for items and ingame currency I am not really against this in the case of a Diablo game.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Basically Bli$$ard is saying that gold sellingis legel now as long as you pay us a fee. Sadly a great ip tarnished by greed. Sure there will be a server where you will have a different AHbut it is the principle. Games were never meant to be pay to win situation and becomes a part time job to earn extra gas money. You play for the love of the game, not for some lame black market Bli$$ard has created.

• redpinsredpins Member Posts: 147

I don't mind this idea as it's laughable at best. If you can't beat the opposition, then join them. And as for Diablo 3 becoming the world's best game, thats BS. I see and smell horrible game. The only difference is, this horrible game seems to have a huge following. They said the same about Starcraft 2, but all I see on there are the blizzard followers. Now if you I see people on here screaming "Diablo 3 is the best mmorpg, mmofps, mmorts, mmog, rpg, fps, rts, puzzle, adventure game of all time" I'm going to slap 'em. It is one thing to look at a rpg with multiplayer and say, "hey it's pretty good" and another to just blatantly worship a blizzard game.

They said the same about Starcraft 2, and the 750k battlenet users were exclusively heads over heels majority blizzard fans. Don't confuse box sales with actual players either. People buy it just to have it and yet never play it. I entered the Starcraft 2 crazy only because I was a fan of watching old Starcraft movies. When I finally got it and realized it was trash with shine, I stopped playing. It was fun trash for a while, and so will Diablo 3 be, until the noobs that "shut their doors and slip on the sock" get on and ruin the game.

I struggle not with life, money, emotions, and world, but against old mindsets and selves to be proven obsolete in a age and time of rapid changes. Go create fun, so you can have fun.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921

Originally posted by mwforrest

Anyone who decides not to play D3 because of this is basically saying they'd rather have a bunch of tortured chinese prisoners selling them their items. 

Whether you like it or not, people are going to spend real money to buy items in D3 just as they did in D2. You all should be happy that Blizzard is now providing a safe way for it to occur thereby eliminating risk of stolen accounts and also reducing the opportunity for abusive slavemasters forcing farmers to work harsh conditions just to provide digital goods. 

The items to sell still have to come from somewhere.

Where do you think that will be?  If this is true while it does present regulation to atleast ensure transactions are genuine, it also legitimises item farming.

That said, there may be a very lucrative career to be made out of Diablo 3 farming and selling items for cash, especially in the early days.  I can see a lot of people jumping on the RMT bandwagon second life style with this.

It does make me sad in many ways, mostly because its a sign of the times.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Bye bye, Diablo.

Hello, Torchlight.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Ok I am NOT buying Diablo 3. Bye bye Diablo and it seems bye bye blizzard games for me.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

I can not help but to imagine thousands of enslaved chinese playing Diablo 3 in sweaty cells , for rare drops to be put on Auction House in traded legaly - While Blizzard/Activision takes their profit share

Say what you will. But this will be reality of this.

Until now gold sellers needed to use shady channels to trade their goods. But now Activision plans to allow them and take their cut.

In a way, they are supporting slavery and exploatation.

(Not to say that Auction house will be ruined and infested by professional loot collectors. Also ruining the gameplay. Pay to win)

This coupled with news that Diablo 3 will need constant internet connection.I dont think i am going to play this game

I just realized one more thing.

I wonder if Blizzard will be tempted to sell some rare pricey items on ah by fake players.

Why only take a % of sale when you can easily take 100% of some sales as well.

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

I couldt care less aslong im not forced to spend real life money. I never had to do it in D2 and wont need to do it in D3.

It might be cool that i can earn some money but i bet it the competion will be realy hard so aint putting that as a goal for sure.

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

Originally posted by Sulaa

I wonder if Blizzard will be tempted to sell some rare pricey items on ah by fake players.

There are alot of what if....

For an indie company this might be very tempting but blizzard wouldt dare to do that even if the chances to be noticed are slim, if that would happen by some odd chance it would ruin em as a gameing company. I dont think they would gamble away theyr entire company on pocket change.

Think they are more then happy for the extra fee they will get from the ah as it will give em a small but steady income after game launch.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

and again all the wannabe gamers are pointing their chubby fingers towards Blizzard......Blizz didnt start this market......gamers did......blizzard is only one trying to controle a situation that became uncontrolable......THEY are the ones looking for an answer to this problem YOU gamers created yourselves.

YOU as the gamer can choose if you want to trade for REAL money OR INGAME money.

If you dont want to be part of the real money shop then just ingore it (like i will).

Only use the Ingame currency and the real money auctionhall will be dead in a fiew months.

Only the gamers can end these real money shops IF you STOP buying things with your real money.

I think this can actually be a good thing :)

But thats just mho.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

Welcome to Activision.

You stay sassy!

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

I must admit I was a shocked when a friend told me about it but I then read the rest of the artical.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2397-Diablo-3-Auction-House-Announced-Spend-and-Earn-Real-Life-Money!

And it does not seem so bad.

Lets all stop acting like you can go on a 30mins dungeon run and loot half a dozen items worthy of sale o the RMT auction house @ $3 each, 90% of items will always go for ingame gold.

And as already pointed out the only was to stop external RMT shops would be to use Bind on Pickup which is no fun, so what blizzard has done is a shrud move IMHO.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

And how could they and any other MMO developer not be doing that already? Sometimes I myself wonder how some bot characters or websites I personally report stay online and operational despite my individual efforts to properly report them. Shady deals remaining in a shady environment work much better but ultimately we have no way to know that when the means to verify and control that rest with those who would actually be doing the deals.

So it remains just a conspiracy theory.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by sloeber

and again all the wannabe gamers are pointing their chubby fingers towards Blizzard......Blizz didnt start this market......gamers did......blizzard is only one trying to controle a situation that became uncontrolable......THEY are the ones looking for an answer to this problem YOU gamers created yourselves.

YOU as the gamer can choose if you want to trade for REAL money OR INGAME money.

If you dont want to be part of the real money shop then just ingore it (like i will).

Only use the Ingame currency and the real money auctionhall will be dead in a fiew months.

Only the gamers can end these real money shops IF you STOP buying things with your real money.

I think this can actually be a good thing :)

But thats just mho.

For every gamer like you, there will be 10 that will want to "buy the power"

Lets face it.

Gold Selling is rampant even when they had to use shady/risky transactions. Now that it will be legal and easily attainable.

Diablo 3 will be king of gold selling. It will easily have 10 times more RMT than anything else.

Irony is that the game is built for it.

Actually , genius buisness move from Bli$$ard.

To bad its also greedy unmoral exploatation.

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Now you will be able to buy ingame items with your own real money. You also have to pay Blizzard a fee to access the real money ah. More annoucements tomorrow!

Link:  http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-battlenet-images-features

GTFO! (not you, but blizzard)

Hopefully there is a community ALT+QQ rage large enough for them to change/get rid of it before it releases. I've already been a bit annoyed with some of the other features and such they're introducing or getting rid of, but a pay2win diablo..?

That would put me from like 85% decided aggainst D3 to 100%.

Though, I guess maybe it is their way to capitalize on what the spambots in D2 have already set in motion, and remove them at the same time? Since people do buy gear.. or did atleast, can't see anyone sane paying for D2 gear today.

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

In the end this doesnt remove 3rd party sites. All it does is save them money, because now they dont have to run and keep a website going, they can name characters certain things, bot/farm and sell all their items in game without getting in trouble.

Blizzard knew it wouldn't solve the problem, all it did was give them a cut of the money.

Also making it legal will increase RMT participation 10 fold at least. I bet the gold farmers and 3rd party websites are weeping with joy, they still are in business , business is going to grow and they get to cut some cost out of their operation.

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

They might as well sell the items on battlenet and make the game P2W.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

Originally posted by expresso

I must admit I was a shocked when a friend told me about it but I then read the rest of the artical.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/2397-Diablo-3-Auction-House-Announced-Spend-and-Earn-Real-Life-Money!

And it does not seem so bad.

Lets all stop acting like you can go on a 30mins dungeon run and loot half a dozen items worthy of sale o the RMT auction house @ $3 each, 90% of items will always go for ingame gold.

And as already pointed out the only was to stop external RMT shops would be to use Bind on Pickup which is no fun, so what blizzard has done is a shrud move IMHO.

What they have really done is provide a legal method for chinese farmers and their Multi-Billion dollar business

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Originally posted by Cinge

In the end this doesnt remove 3rd party sites. All it does is save them money, because now they dont have to run and keep a website going, they can name characters certain things, bot/farm and sell all their items in game without getting in trouble.

Blizzard knew it wouldn't solve the problem, all it did was give them a cut of the money.

Also making it legal will increase RMT participation 10 fold at least. I bet the gold farmers and 3rd party websites are weeping with joy, they still are in business , business is going to grow and they get to cut some cost out of their operation.

Excatly it was going to happen either way so rather then the players who seek out to buy items blizzard provided a safe, controlled enviroment to do it.  Not saying it's right but it's better then the alternative.

I have no plans to use the RTM aution house I'll stck to the ingame gold auction house like 95% of the other players will.

• CingeCinge Member Posts: 120

Originally posted by expresso

Originally posted by Cinge

Excatly it was going to happen either way so rather then the players who seek out to buy items blizzard provided a safe, controlled enviroment to do it.  Not saying it's right but it's better then the alternative.

I have no plans to use the RTM aution house I'll stck to the ingame gold auction house like 95% of the other players will.

Based on D2 will be interesting to see if they can even make gold a worthwhile currency. But also you can buy gold off the RMT. It's like a botters/RMT sites dream. They can now sell gold and items in the new diablo, legally, and business is going to up immensely.

Originally posted by ravtec

There are alot of what if....

For an indie company this might be very tempting but blizzard wouldt dare to do that even if the chances to be noticed are slim, if that would happen by some odd chance it would ruin em as a gameing company. I dont think they would gamble away theyr entire company on pocket change.

Think they are more then happy for the extra fee they will get from the ah as it will give em a small but steady income after game launch.

Actually I think that fee from % of AH sales might be bigger than from selling boxes when you will compare money from boxes all boxes Blizzard had sold after f.e 1-2 years and overall fee colledcted from AH after those 1-2 years. I very much doubt it will be small.

• Fir3lineFir3line Member Posts: 767

A picture to depict activision and blizzard and to lighten the mood

"I am not a robot. I am a unicorn."

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Thanks Blizzard, I didn't expect YOU to be the one who'll help me save money. $60 unspent goes into my piggy bank.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.