Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: The "Real Money" Auction House

ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Now you will be able to buy ingame items with your own real money. You also have to pay Blizzard a fee to access the real money ah. More annoucements tomorrow!

Link:  http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/diablo-3-battlenet-images-features

Comments

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

Was going to play it but now i have a reason not to. thanks for the link OP

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

They are just trying to get rid of the RMT market outside of Diablo 2. Which will obviously happen in D3. So it's a lot safer to do it through blizzard than some shady secondary site.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

WTF

You have GOT to be kidding.

So much for my excitement for D3. 

Honestly....

I couldn't care less.  It's Blizzard.  I'm SO over Blizzard. They're so last week.

RMT is becoming like a plague.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

Originally posted by Panther2103

They are just trying to get rid of the RMT market outside of Diablo 2. Which will obviously happen in D3. So it's a lot safer to do it through blizzard than some shady secondary site.

Some truths are difficult to face.  At least in this case its not a tough decision like drugs and cartels. 

Making it legal and regulating it weakens the criminal element that will be there whether or not you want it to be.

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by jeremyjodes

Was going to play it but now i have a reason not to. thanks for the link OP

I agree with this its now in my no thanks of worlds to splore. I can already see groups saying go buy this then you can come group with us etc etc. Much like they do some already but atleast you can find pleny of people trying for it in game. WIth this It really does become that whole Pay to Win thing people throw around on sites

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

I was looking forward to this so much too. I didn't think anything could kill my desire to play it but Bli$$ard found a way.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Whelp, there's always Torchlight 2.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ikyle620ikyle620 Member Posts: 41

First of all this a is a rumor, but i'd reckon it is true. Hasn't been confirmed yet, but still, lets go ahead and say it is. Here is the exact wording from the (possibly confirmed) source:

-“Real Money” Auction House. You can sell and buy Items for Real Money. You have to pay fee to Blizzard for it. You can also use an Ingame-Gold Acution House. 

-Blizzard will not sell Gold or Items. It is just Player to Player Trading. 

Take that information as you will. Next, here is an excerpt from a chinese leak (or something, no source but it's on the Diablo3.com forums):

"-Why are you creating a currency-based version of the auction house? 

Our goal with all of our games is to ensure players have a highly enjoyable, rewarding, and secure 

experience. Acquiring items has always been an important part of the Diablo series, but the previous 

games have not had a robust, centralized system for facilitating trades, and as a result players have 

turned to inconvenient and potentially unsafe alternatives, such as third-party real-money-trading 

organizations. Many of the transactions between players and these organizations led to a poor player 

experience and countless customer-service issues involving scams and item/account theft, to name a 

few. To that end, we wanted to create a convenient, powerful, and fully integrated tool to meet the 

demand of players who wished to purchase or sell items for real-world currency, and who would likely 

have turned to a less-secure third-party service for this convenience."

And some screenshots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/blackbard/ah1.jpg 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/blackbard/106113169372.jpg 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/blackbard/106113169196.jpg 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/blackbard/106113168993.jpg 

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/blackbard/106113168785.jpg

• TheHelperTheHelper Member Posts: 108

Originally posted by skeaser

Whelp, there's always Torchlight 2.

Yeah TL2 has been on my radar since the first, psyched!

• BarbarbarBarbarbar Member UncommonPosts: 271

This business is making me sick. Talk about wasting your life on money.  So sad that these grownups stand there outside the schoolyard trying to wrench the lunchmoney out of the kids. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

Regardless of their intent or what this really is, if anything at all, it's created enough of a stench to make me severely wary toward D3. I'll wait for Torchlight 2, thanks.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• ikyle620ikyle620 Member Posts: 41

Originally posted by Barbarbar

This business is making me sick. Talk about wasting your life on money.  So sad that these grownups stand there outside the schoolyard trying to wrench the lunchmoney out of the kids. They should be ashamed of themselves.

This would be more like allowing the grownups to stand there outside the schoolyard and watch as the kids try to wrench the lunchmoney from eachother.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Whether or not any of you want to admit this, RMT plagued Diablo 2.  Anyone could google one of these websites and buy anything they wanted, or they could wait for a spammer in game to come along and follow their direction.  The only difference now is that the millions of illegal outfits running this will be next to none.  Blizzard has faced this reality with the only logical decision, that is to regulate it themselves.  If you weren't interested in buying gold/items and such, then you are still presented with the option of not doing it.  This is exactly the same option that you had with the previous game.  There is no difference, just because you didn't do it in Diablo 2 doesn't mean the option wasn't there.

I'm not going to say no to one of the biggest games to come out in the past 10 years just because Blizzard decided to do the only thing that can be done to fight RMT outfits.  Take a step back and look at the situation.  It's still going to be a good game. 

Originally posted by DAS1337

Whether or not any of you want to admit this, RMT plagued Diablo 2.  Anyone could google one of these websites and buy anything they wanted, or they could wait for a spammer in game to come along and follow their direction.  The only difference now is that the millions of illegal outfits running this will be next to none.  Blizzard has faced this reality with the only logical decision, that is to regulate it themselves.  If you weren't interested in buying gold/items and such, then you are still presented with the option of not doing it.  This is exactly the same option that you had with the previous game.  There is no difference, just because you didn't do it in Diablo 2 doesn't mean the option wasn't there.

I'm not going to say no to one of the biggest games to come out in the past 10 years just because Blizzard decided to do the only thing that can be done to fight RMT outfits.  Take a step back and look at the situation.  It's still going to be a good game. 

It seems more of a joining them than fighting them.

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

Originally posted by ikyle620

This would be more like allowing the grownups to stand there outside the schoolyard and watch as the kids try to wrench the lunchmoney from eachother.

you forgot to include that the kids would have to pay the grownups b4 they can wrench the lunch money from each other

Originally posted by yutty

Originally posted by ikyle620

you forgot to include that the kids would have to pay the grownups b4 they can wrench the lunch money from each other

Stock up on Choc milk and join the fun?? hehe

• mwforrestmwforrest Member UncommonPosts: 14

Anyone who decides not to play D3 because of this is basically saying they'd rather have a bunch of tortured chinese prisoners selling them their items. 

Whether you like it or not, people are going to spend real money to buy items in D3 just as they did in D2. You all should be happy that Blizzard is now providing a safe way for it to occur thereby eliminating risk of stolen accounts and also reducing the opportunity for abusive slavemasters forcing farmers to work harsh conditions just to provide digital goods. 

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Using this logic, Blizzard should now sell Gold in WoW for real world cash. After all, illegal third party websites - many of which are scams - are doing it. Might as well embrace it.

Lets face it, while their may be a legitimate concern, this is almost entirely about money. Ever since Blizzard became a part of the Acitivision (mafia) family, they've changed, and not for the better.

• BunkafishBunkafish Member Posts: 57

i'm guessing a lot of the negative comments are because people didn't realize this already happened in diablo 2 (through 3rd party sites as stated), or didn't play the game. 

Anyways doesn't deter me at all. To be honest I wouldn't mind the option to sell people items, if  I got real money. 

Originally posted by TGSOL

Using this logic, Blizzard should now sell Gold in WoW for real world cash. After all, illegal third party websites - many of which are scams - are doing it. Might as well embrace it.

also every mmo should sell max level toons with plenty of gold and some of it not the best gear and weapons.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

You guys are funny. As soon as theres an option to buy something, you freak out and say you're not playing. Its still the same game. What changes. I mean honestly, think about it before clicking reply. 

If a guy spends 18 hours a day for a week playing a game and gets better stuff than you, you dont complain. But if another guy spends his money that he earned to get better than stuff than you, you get upset? So what? In both cases, neither of these people's actions affect you. They both just have decent stuff. One spent time, the other spent money. You act like devs of any game are going to sell a one super weapon that makes a crappy player into a good player. The only things cashshops do are either let people progress faster, look fancy, or give them quality of life. You can spend your time getting the same things.

Some people want to waste money on things that dont really exist and others want to waste time for them, in the end, everyone loses something. I assume its kids/teens whos brains are still developing that in that "its not fair" mindset. Its pretty fair. Some people have a lot of time, some people have more money, some people have neither, some people have both. 

Originally posted by jinxxed0

You guys are funny. As soon as theres an option to buy something, you freak out and say you're not playing. Its still the same game. What changes. I mean honestly, think about it before clicking reply. 

If a guy spends 18 hours a day for a week playing a game and gets better stuff than you, you dont complain. But if another guy spends his money that he earned to get better than stuff than you, you get upset? So what? In both cases, neither of these people's actions affect you. They both just have decent stuff. One spent time, the other spent money. You act like devs of any game are going to sell a one super weapon that makes a crappy player into a good player. The only things cashshops do are either let people progress faster, look fancy, or give them quality of life. You can spend your time getting the same things.

Some people want to waste money on things that dont really exist and others want to waste time for them, in the end, everyone loses something. I assume its kids/teens whos brains are still developing that in that "its not fair" mindset. Its pretty fair. Some people have a lot of time, some people have more money, some people have neither, some people have both. 

Because it takes away group from those that wish to do it in game. Sure some of those are going to buy it one way or another but this is just opening up the flood gates and saying it ok. From a company stand point its lots of easy munnies. From a player stand point its does anyone play the game or is it just a big money pit which i paid for? I for one do not believe its to fight 3rd parties from doing it. Its simply tons of easy munnies for Blizzard.

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274

Originally posted by jinxxed0

Then as mentioned, you shouldn't have a problem with MMO's like WoW selling gold or high-level, fully decked out characters. After all, some people don't have the time to farm gold, level characters, or farm for high-end raid/pvp items, so why shouldn't they be able to spend money on them instead and get them immedately? And illegal third party sites will be selling these things and likely stealing your account as well, so you get to nip those issues in the bud at the same time.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Interestingly I am not against the way they seem to be implementing this, you're pretty naive to think RMT didn't run rampant in Diablo 2.

From what I've heard, Blizzard will not be directly selling items and will be simply letting players make their deals with other players through an auction house, Blizzard's profit coming only from getting a set percentage from all sales. It's player to player commerce. It's not the kind of infinite offer to meet the demand that the infamous item shop monopoly (F2P shops and some P2P MMOs too) does. 

My only real argument against that right now is based on mere speculation that Blizzard will not allow us to take that money we make out of the game, so it becomes just a system to generate money for Blizzard in a win-win environment, which people will completely bypass anyway since they won't be able to take the money they make out of the game. Oh, there is also the possibility that the in-game currency becomes worthless in this economy fueled by real money trading only.

Besides that, they'll have to pay a lot more attention to their game - bots, phishing and exploiting can quickly destroy this economy.

Now, we are merely talking about "leaks", so I could be wrong, no point getting all fired up until the official announcement and details come. If it is the way I described, then I have nothing against it, I'll take part in this experiment, even though I don't really know if I could get disappointed enough with their way to actually not purchase and play the game (especially since there are no monthly fees and the monthly choice it involves). 

The "RPG" definition will weaken though, there is no roleplay and lore to explain obtaining power and progression through a credit card.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by TGSOL

Then as mentioned, you shouldn't have a problem with MMO's like WoW selling gold or high-level, fully decked out characters. After all, some people don't have the time to farm gold, level characters, or farm for high-end raid/pvp items, so why shouldn't they be able to spend money on them instead and get them immedately? And illegal third party sites will be selling these things and likely stealing your account as well, so you get to nip those issues in the bud at the same time.

There's a difference between embracing an ideal and realizing the reality of it. I think the overall point is, players are going to do it regardless, if you're not playing because people can buy things you've earned, then you shouldn't play to begin with as that will be happening either way. It's been common practice since the dawn of MMo gaming. There's little companies can do against it, especially considering most of it is done abroad. The fact of the matter is if anything it's a lot safer for the consumer if it's handled by  Blizzard. Which is why I can't really fault them, money grab or not.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson