Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what are 10 classes you like most for a new mmorpg(fantasy)

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
What are 10 of your favorite classes that you would like to see playable in a brand new MMO, and how would they work (combat mechanic wise)

Would the classes you pick, have any FUN utility abilities, like portal travail, conjured food, banker unit summoner, etc. What would your suggested classes have?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I am literally too lazy to answer this question.  It would take way too much typing.  Good question though, MMOEx.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

Stoner.

Rapist.

Cigarette-smoking man.

Lama.

10 is a bit much

• TokyojoeTokyojoe Member Posts: 49

A Monk who can heal like a Priest but actually defend themselves for a change. Kick ass with a big stick and their feet.

I may know the least here,but I am the loudest about what I do know.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I rather dislike the concept of classes.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

*cough* 10?? and an explanation of each?  Oh well...

1. Swordmage

• This is your basic lightly armored warrior (think chain in WoW) who uses a mix of speed, strengh and magic ability to wipe the floor with people.  Instead of Casting during fights, the swordmage does the casting BEFORE fights and prepares spells on the sword to use when the actual combat starts.  

• Now instead of the usual mana bar, the Swordmage will actually have to gather mana from fighting like how rage n stuff works for warriors.  After it reches a certain point, the swordmage will be able to infuse an attack with a spell.

2. Ninja

• This is your melee glass cannon that works completely differently from usual mmo melees.  It has some long range attacks that are decent but not as good as ranged characters.  The main thing for their melee is assasination and their main defense form is a reacationary blink-like spell that wipes aggro for a few secods.

• The blink like spell will be used when you think you are going to get hit and when you do get hit, it will nullify that damage (and make you immune to damage for about 1 second) while teleporting you to a direction of your choosing.  This could be used offensively to get close to people or defensively to get away.

• As for the melee-ness the ninja will do a lot of damage by hit and run tactics stealth tactics.  Stealth close, jump on the guy, blink away, toss a couple of shurikens and go back into hiding nstuff~

3. Spell Eater

• The spell eater is a mage tank.  It has the ability to pull spells to it and nullify it or absorb it.  It works like a sword mage except it has higher magic defenses, lower speed, and lower strength and higher magic.

• Main playstyle would be to use an ability to attract spells to him and eat them.  The first spell that hits the Spell Eater will get infused to its weapon, giving it a charge,  and will be able to unleash it back to the mages or to other combatants with the spell eaters attacks.  These charges fade as the spell eater uses a magic spell.  Using a spell eater will allow one to completely protect allies near him (15 or so feet) from magic damage for a few seconds this way.

• The spell eater can only hold 1 charge at a time and must not hold more than 5 charges or else the spell eater will overload and cause his special attacks that use charges to affect allies.  Also, charges released will do more damage to melee combatants and less to ranged ones.  A spell eater can use a charge to silence a caster or release the same element spell as the spell eater received.

4. Golem Engineer

• The golem engineer uses a golem for combat.  The engineer is in charge of creating a golem as he sees fit and has quite a bit of control on the golems AI and what the golem is outfitted with.  The engineer himself is quite frail but fast and can take cover and hide while letting the golem do all the dirty work.

• The golem can be outfitted in many ways.  It could be built as a protector or as a tool to harass enemies  from a distance.  If you want more info you can look at how golems are built in legend of mana.  Somefing like that~

Ai is out of ideas for now and Ai is hungerr x.x  Brb gna eat some BBQ @_@ ; And like...RICE! Rice-ivores ftw!

Edit :

Really? >.< Did I just kill the thread?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724

I think Warhammer had the best idea. You have four archetypes: warrior, stealth, healer, caster and each starter town/race has a version of the archetype that suits the lore of that faction.

I also think warriors should be the best solo *combat* class i.e. the best solo dungeon crawler. Other classes might be the best solo against particular things but warriors should be the baseline imo.

• NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

10 is too much..

I don't think anyone has 10 favorite classes.

However here are some unique classes that (if done right) are good classes for any MMO in my book :]

1. Bard

- Plays music that creates auras which benefit allies or corrupt enemies.

Attribute: Support

Weapon: Guitar, flute (any portable instrument, really.)

2. Engineer

- Damage dealing class that works defensively. Can spawn turrets to hold down an area.

Attribute: Damage Dealer

Weapon: Guns, flamethrowers, wrenches, turrets.

3. Puppeteer

- Damage dealers that controls the battlefield with puppets.

Attribute: Damage Dealer

Weapon: Puppets (duh).

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Castillle

1. Swordmage

• This is your basic lightly armored warrior (think chain in WoW) who uses a mix of speed, strengh and magic ability to wipe the floor with people.  Instead of Casting during fights, the swordmage does the casting BEFORE fights and prepares spells on the sword to use when the actual combat starts.  

• Now instead of the usual mana bar, the Swordmage will actually have to gather mana from fighting like how rage n stuff works for warriors.  After it reches a certain point, the swordmage will be able to infuse an attack with a spell.

2. Ninja

• This is your melee glass cannon that works completely differently from usual mmo melees.  It has some long range attacks that are decent but not as good as ranged characters.  The main thing for their melee is assasination and their main defense form is a reacationary blink-like spell that wipes aggro for a few secods.

• The blink like spell will be used when you think you are going to get hit and when you do get hit, it will nullify that damage (and make you immune to damage for about 1 second) while teleporting you to a direction of your choosing.  This could be used offensively to get close to people or defensively to get away.

• As for the melee-ness the ninja will do a lot of damage by hit and run tactics stealth tactics.  Stealth close, jump on the guy, blink away, toss a couple of shurikens and go back into hiding nstuff~

3. Spell Eater

• The spell eater is a mage tank.  It has the ability to pull spells to it and nullify it or absorb it.  It works like a sword mage except it has higher magic defenses, lower speed, and lower strength and higher magic.

• Main playstyle would be to use an ability to attract spells to him and eat them.  The first spell that hits the Spell Eater will get infused to its weapon, giving it a charge,  and will be able to unleash it back to the mages or to other combatants with the spell eaters attacks.  These charges fade as the spell eater uses a magic spell.  Using a spell eater will allow one to completely protect allies near him (15 or so feet) from magic damage for a few seconds this way.

• The spell eater can only hold 1 charge at a time and must not hold more than 5 charges or else the spell eater will overload and cause his special attacks that use charges to affect allies.  Also, charges released will do more damage to melee combatants and less to ranged ones.  A spell eater can use a charge to silence a caster or release the same element spell as the spell eater received.

4. Golem Engineer

• The golem engineer uses a golem for combat.  The engineer is in charge of creating a golem as he sees fit and has quite a bit of control on the golems AI and what the golem is outfitted with.  The engineer himself is quite frail but fast and can take cover and hide while letting the golem do all the dirty work.

• The golem can be outfitted in many ways.  It could be built as a protector or as a tool to harass enemies  from a distance.  If you want more info you can look at how golems are built in legend of mana.  Somefing like that~

Ai is out of ideas for now and Ai is hungerr x.x  Brb gna eat some BBQ @_@ ; And like...RICE! Rice-ivores ftw!

Edit :

wow awesome ideas.

@ the person that said Puppet Master,

How does Puppets fight or work? What does the player character do while puppets are fighting and being controlled?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Castillle

1. Swordmage

2. Ninja

3. Spell Eater

4. Golem Engineer

Edit :

wow awesome ideas.

@ the person that said Puppet Master,

How does Puppets fight or work? What does the player character do while puppets are fighting and being controlled?

You just answered your own question.

The player controls the puppet as an extention of the self.

The pro is that you're not directly taking damage from the enemy, your puppet soaks up the damage for you.

The con is that you're left vulnerable if your puppet is nowhere near when an enemy decides to target you.

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Thief (as in UO).....rogue class (can disable traps with skills too)

Templar......tank that is very good against mages but weaker agains melee classes.

Mind controller.....like a mezzer class.....crowd controller (support class) low dps.

Trader......gathering and crafting experts......non combat class (in my sort of new mmo there are no classes that can fight AND craft, yeah sorry i am an altoholic :) )

Wizzard.......the ranged dps class but weak agains a mind controller tough

Knights......melee tanks that are kinda weak against mage attacks.

Tactician (like in AC2) ....a ranged very high dps class that puts down turrets but these can't move (and have a pretty long cooldown too).....weak against rogues with enough skills.

Mender......healing class that has very little dps but uses some (very basic) shielding to survive burst attacks.

Its only 8 but thats how I would do it if i had the skills make an mmorpg.

enjoy :)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

How about no classes, only skills, and it's up to the player to build a character to their own preference and playstyle?  A chance to make a more unique character, instead of being a Warrior that's practically exactly the same as every other Warrior?

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Well - I specifically do NOT want these classes mentioned in this thread. They are too "one hit wonder"-ish. Perfectly OK if you play a game where you control a full group or even a full army of characters, but for a MMO, they are too boring in the long run.

Instead, I want classes which are complex and have many abilities to handle many different situations, and offer many different approaches for testing around.

Example for such a class:

Paladin:

- Classic heavy armor tank with shield and sword/scepter

- Total Immunity to fear and diseases

- Cant use vampiric weapons, vampiric buffs dont work

- Magic resistance: chance for spells to fail, depending upon the power of the Paladin and the attacking spellcaster.

- About the following: only one out of each stance, magic combat mode, weapon taint and aura can be active at a given time. Activating a different will cancel the previous. The Paladin initially starts into the game in the Hero Stance, the Reflect Damage Magic Combat Mode, the Judge Weapon Taint and the Heroism Aura. Changing any of them will take one action (i.e. 3 sec ingame time).

- Stances: Hero (improved aggro and defense), Avenger (improved damage), Defender (cant move but even better defense)

- Magic Combat Modes: Reflect Damage (a part of the damage dealt on Paladin is also dealt on attacker, except for area and ranged attacks - this doesnt reduce damage dealt on the Paladin), Reflect Spell (instead of silently canceling it, spells that fail at the magic resistance of the Paladin get instead reflected back at the attacker- this doesnt work for area attacks), Sacrifice (Paladins weapon attacks also partly hurt himself as well a bit, but improve the own damage dealt - this doesnt improve aggro or damage from spells and non-weapon abilities)

- Weapon Taints: Judge (improved damage; extra damage on devils and undead), Purity (dispels magic on target)

- Auras (do not affect the Paladin): Heroism (allies get better offense without increasing their aggro and are less phrone to effects like fear), Healing (allies get healed over time), Protection (allies have better defense and reduced aggro), Dispel (magic is getting canceled in the area), Truth (Invisibility, Stealth and Illusions in the area get broken).

- Many defensive abilities like Final Defense (passive: defense improves if hitpoints get lower), Total defense (long recast / Defender stance required: for a short time, defense values improve even more).

- Aggro improvement abilities like Challenge (area aggro ability), Guard (attacks on specific ally are all redirected to the Paladin), Watch (part of the damage on one ally is redirected to Paladin)

- Angel Wings for flying, Unicorn mount for fast riding, both at will and unlimted

- Lay on Hands: Heal ally (divine ability: works in anti-magic areas, doesnt use up mana, cant heal Paladin himself, is on a smaller recast timer)

- Heal (Normal manabased spell, can heal Paladin)

- Turn Undead ability for massive carnage on all undead in the area, including allied Necromancer pets and anyone temporarily turned into an undead by a Necromancer.

- Dispel Magic: Dispels opponent magic in area

- Judgement: Damage over time snare on ranged target

- Shield Stun: Low damage attack with a chance to stun the victim

- Magic Hammer: A hammer appears in the hand of the Paladin and is thrown at the targeted enemy. Extra damage to devils and undead.

- Martyr: Aggro and defense boost, but Paladin benefits less from healing spells and dies at the end of the timer. Automatically enables Defender stance and, if currently available, Total Defense as well.

- Many more abilities including a schedule of standard weapon attacks on dynamic recast timers that the player needs to optimize in useage to maximize the dps.

- Heroism Abilities: A number of abilities (such as Healing, Spike Damage Attac etc) that use up special Heroism points. Heroism is restored slowly over time, by a specific ability on a long recast timer, and by specific actions (Martyr fills it up both at the beginning and the end of the time).

- Falling and Attonement: Through a questline, The Paladin can "fall": turn into the evil Anti-Paladin, aka Blackguard. And a Blackguard can attone through another questline and turn into a Paladin. The player is free to choose between playing Paladin or Blackguard in the beginning, and can switch between the classes through the questline. However, Blackguards use twohanded Sword or Greatmauls (no shields) and have a widely different set of abilities (Bat Wings, no mount, Stealth, Poison Useage, Vampire Weapon Selfbuff, Magic Jump Attack, Fear/Snare, Area Attacks, Negative Auras, Hellhound combat pet etc).

Mind, this is out of the top of my head and just should give an idea of what could be done. So the basic idea would be to have a number of classes like this.

Originally posted by Warmaker

How about no classes, only skills, and it's up to the player to build a character to their own preference and playstyle?  A chance to make a more unique character, instead of being a Warrior that's practically exactly the same as every other Warrior?

Mabinogi tried that. That's not as easy as it sounds.

• EscargonEscargon Member Posts: 78

1. Warriors. Specs: Tank, Dual Wield DPS and 2h DPS.

2. Battle mage. Specs: Weapon enchanter, casterplate DPS and melee DPS.

3. Bard. Specs: Healing, singing hybrid heal/DPS and DPS with summons.

4. Healer. Specs: naked DPS monk, holy ranged DPS/heal hybrid and protection heal.

5. Paladins. Specs: Dual wield holy dps, tank and heavy healer.

6. Mage. Specs: Frost for aoe, Lighting for CC and fire for DPS.

7. Wizard. Specs: Archeologist, hybrid melee+caster, mana/haste buffer and a mesmer.

8. Barbarian. Specs: Axe thrower, 2h aoe fighting, transform: bear spec to tank and dps.

9. Druid. Specs: AOE healer, ranged Fire-frost-nature dpser, heal-melee dps.

10. Dark mage. Specs: Poison and ressurect dead enemies, curses/dots and frost single DPS bow user.

I know this is confusing cause most MMOs goes the WoW way.

Classes i dont want to see in a new MMO: Assassins and rangers. Why?

Assassins: Always hard to balance. Have long stuns and hard damage. They cant seem to balance it with bad survival.

Rangers: Such easy class to play as always.

Yawn

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

I'd rather have no classes tbh.

And 10 classes is more than the classes I have liked so far.

Battle mage

Assassin

Archer/mounted archer

nature based shape shifter (wow's druid for example)

And of course the classic warrior.

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by Escargon

1. Warriors. Specs: Tank, Dual Wield DPS and 2h DPS.

Vanguard Warrior/Dread Knight fits this easy.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59386

Dread Knight.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59425

2. Battle mage. Specs: Weapon enchanter, casterplate DPS and melee DPS.

3. Bard. Specs: Healing, singing hybrid heal/DPS and DPS with summons.

Vanguard Bard fits this description.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59430

4. Healer. Specs: naked DPS monk, holy ranged DPS/heal hybrid and protection heal.

Vanguard Disciple fits this description.(this is an awsome class)

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59436

5. Paladins. Specs: Dual wield holy dps, tank and heavy healer.

The Vanguard Cleric fits this more than the Vanguard pladin which is not a healer but has light heals.

Vanguard Clerics wear plate Armour and are one of the four main healers and has the best buffs in the game and dual wield. The DPS is not as great as a paladin but it get's better as you level.

Vanguard Cleric.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59454

Vanguard Paladin.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59399

6. Mage. Specs: Frost for aoe, Lighting for CC and fire for DPS.

Vanguard Sorcerer comes close.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59467

7. Wizard. Specs: Archeologist, hybrid melee+caster, mana/haste buffer and a mesmer.

8. Barbarian. Specs: Axe thrower, 2h aoe fighting, transform: bear spec to tank and dps.

9. Druid. Specs: AOE healer, ranged Fire-frost-nature dpser, heal-melee dps.

10. Dark mage. Specs: Poison and ressurect dead enemies, curses/dots and frost single DPS bow user.

I know this is confusing cause most MMOs goes the WoW way.

Classes i dont want to see in a new MMO: Assassins and rangers. Why?

Assassins: Always hard to balance. Have long stuns and hard damage. They cant seem to balance it with bad survival.

Rangers: Such easy class to play as always.

I would also throw the Vanguard Bloodmage into this,what a cool class. He is a healer but also has nasty spells, lifetaps, counterspells, direct damage spells, buffs, and symbiotes. 

Vanguard Bloodmage.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59448

• yewsefyewsef Member CommonPosts: 335

The classes I enjoyed the most in my MMORPG experience the last 12 years are:

Shadow Knight - EQ

Monk - EQ

Shillien Knight - Lineage 2

Scrapper (MA or Katana / Regeneration) - CoH

Tanker (*/Ice) - CoH

Dark Templar - Age of Conan

Disciplie - Vanguard

Cleric - Vanguard

Paladin - WoW

Lancer - TERA Korean Retail

------------these are 10------------

But my favorite combat was EQ part of it because my character and I both share responsibilities. Part of the action is decided by me but the other part is done by my character because of his skills and ability. There's something fun watching your character do something good more often the better they are at it. That kind of thing is removed from other combat. Watching my monk Quad more often was satisfying to watch, more satisfying than pressing a button.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

shadowbane..

id have to say all the classes that were in shadowbane every class was dope in their unique way

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

I would like an mmo with Dungeon&Siege type of evolution, keep it simple keep it cool, then focus on minigames and other stuff (1 & 2 , NOT 3!!! DS3 BURN IN TEH FIRES OF THE 8TH HELL!!!!11ELEVENONEONE!11).

The only classes i like to play are warriors and summoners(who summon warriors) so can´t name 10 unique ones :p

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• poefuepoefue Member Posts: 226

I would like to see the old school Bard from EQ.  I miss taking every mob in a zone and running in circles for hours killing them.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I would like to see the introduction of the "Forum Whiner" class, they would stand at the back of the party  telling the opposition that they are doing it wrongly and that it was so much better in their day, it would cause some damage to their own side but massive willpower damage to the opposition. THey could use NGE comments for low but long term damage or Monocle comments that explode in a short lived but fiery bust of high damage.