Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG's like DN coming out in the future?

Hi there! I've been playing DN quite recently and I find the game to be awesome and loads of fun, but I still think there could be better out there. I mean the game is fun and all, but I don't like the lack of customization without purchasing NX and the gender locked classes (I hate being a female archer :( ) as well as other things. So what I'm getting at is, will there be any games like DN coming out in the near future that are worth playing?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Perfect World is bringing Raiderz

Then there will be Continent of the 9th from webzen to name a few of the top of my head.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Don't get TERA either, which features a similar combat system in a less instanced environment.

You also have options already available too.  Lunia, Dragonica, and Rusty Hearts all feature beatup style combat (though some are limited to 2D and 2.5D).  Vindictus is superior to Dragon Nest (and it's from the same publisher no less) in just about every way too.  Sadly, out of all those only Dragonica doesn't have gender locked classes (Vindictus has a bunch of customization options at least).  I think C9 also has gender locked classes.  Tera will not.  I'm not sure about Raiderz, first time I'm seeing that.

• acesiacesi Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Asheram

Perfect World is bringing Raiderz

Then there will be Continent of the 9th from webzen to name a few of the top of my head.

Well I've never heard of RaiderZ before, but it looks kind of slow paced. As for C9 I don't think its going to be coming out for NA any time soon :(

• NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

Originally posted by Magnum2103

Don't get TERA either, which features a similar combat system in a less instanced environment.

You also have options already available too.  Lunia, Dragonica, and Rusty Hearts all feature beatup style combat (though some are limited to 2D and 2.5D).  Vindictus is superior to Dragon Nest (and it's from the same publisher no less) in just about every way too.  Sadly, out of all those only Dragonica doesn't have gender locked classes (Vindictus has a bunch of customization options at least).  I think C9 also has gender locked classes.  Tera will not.  I'm not sure about Raiderz, first time I'm seeing that.

I'd like to disagree.

Vindictus may be good in its own right, but Dragon Nest has more pros where Vindictus falls short.

Vindictus' environments get boring quickly.

Dragon Nest has you traveling between instanced areas giving you a sense of world.

Vindictus is solely hack'n'slash.

Dragon Nest is hack'n'slash combo based. You're meant to string together combo's through skills.

Vindictus' class system splits two ways and ends.

Dragon Nest classes split two ways and then your branch splits ANOTHER two ways giving a grand total of 26 different classes.

The only real way Vindictus could be better than DN is the fact that it has better graphics..

However this can be argued, since because of DN's average graphics, people with weaker computers can play it too.

The aesthetics of Vindictus are dark and gritty, and it's wonderful.

The aesthetics of DN are bright and colorful, and I like it too.

Don't try to judge both games based on their aesthetics as opinions vary too much.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Umm..Vindictus is combo based as well :O    But yah! Theres Rusty hearts as well~

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Originally posted by Nekkuro

I'd like to disagree.

Vindictus may be good in its own right, but Dragon Nest has more pros where Vindictus falls short.

Dragon Nest has you traveling between instanced areas giving you a sense of world.

Dragon Nest is hack'n'slash combo based. You're meant to string together combo's through skills.

Dragon Nest classes split two ways and then your branch splits ANOTHER two ways giving a grand total of 26 different classes.

The only real way Vindictus could be better than DN is the fact that it has better graphics..

However this can be argued, since because of DN's average graphics, people with weaker computers can play it too.

Don't try to judge both games based on their aesthetics as opinions vary too much.

Like I'm judging the game based solely on aesthetics.  Jumping to conclusions much?

Dragon Nest has poor ranged collision.

Dragon Nest does not have better environments, I found them quite bland actually.

Dragon Nest's combos aren't all that impressive, compared to a game with a real combo system like a fighting game.  There really isn't much depth to them.  Vindictus on the other hand has things like Teching/Just Defense (for lack of a better term, I forget what they called it) on Shield Blocks which is more of what you'd see in actual fighting games with more in depth combat systems.  They both need improvements in this area.

Vindictus has physics based gameplay.  It's a lot more statisifying using your environment to cause damage.

Saying DN has 26 different "classes" is like saying WoW has 32 classes and Rift has 200+.  They are little branches that barely deviate from the original mechanics of the class.  It's basically just a talent tree.

Vindictus has way more customization options, and size effects gameplay.

Dragon Nest feels less polished than Vindictus was at release.

Dragon Nest feels easier so far, requiring less tactics and more button mashing (Launch + use skills = profit)

Dragon Nest locks you into animations and there is less fluid transition between animations.

Dragon Nest doesn't have a fishing minigame (though it's better bad in Vindictus).

I could go on....

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Originally posted by acesi

Hi there! I've been playing DN quite recently and I find the game to be awesome and loads of fun, but I still think there could be better out there. I mean the game is fun and all, but I don't like the lack of customization without purchasing NX and the gender locked classes (I hate being a female archer :( ) as well as other things. So what I'm getting at is, will there be any games like DN coming out in the near future that are worth playing?

Thanks in advance!

Agreed, loved the combat, hate the repetittious dungeons and 100% instanced game. I guess Tera will have simlar combat but be more open?

• NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

I'd like to disagree.

Like I'm judging the game based solely on aesthetics.  Jumping to conclusions much?

Dragon Nest does not have better environments, I found them quite bland actually.

Dragon Nest's combos aren't all that impressive, compared to a game with a real combo system like a fighting game.  There really isn't much depth to them.  Vindictus on the other hand has things like Teching/Just Defense (for lack of a better term, I forget what they called it) on Shield Blocks which is more of what you'd see in actual fighting games with more in depth combat systems.  They both need improvements in this area.

Vindictus has physics based gameplay.  It's a lot more statisifying using your environment to cause damage.

Saying DN has 26 different "classes" is like saying WoW has 32 classes and Rift has 200+.  They are little branches that barely deviate from the original mechanics of the class.  It's basically just a talent tree.

Dragon Nest feels easier so far, requiring less tactics and more button mashing (Launch + use skills = profit)

Dragon Nest locks you into animations and there is less fluid transition between animations.

Dragon Nest doesn't have a fishing minigame (though it's better bad in Vindictus).

I could go on....

I only brought up aesthetics just incase it would (eventually) become a part of the argument.

And at least DN has environments. Vindcitus has colhen, that long road to the city (that no one uses)

and the city itself. And then.. nothing.

So.. 3 total instaced areas.. Great.

Oh yeah, there's the boat, I guess.

Your "REAL" combo system isn't any more exciting (it's actually less.)

It's basically slash/slash/slash/finishing attack. That's not a combo..

Physics based gameplay.. big deal.

I know for a fact that after 30 levels, I stopped using my "environment" to kill my enemies and stuck to just spamming my attacks over and over again. At least in Dragon Nest you can approach each battle differently.

And yes, size affects 0.1% of gameplay and it is TOTALLY noticable.

Vindictus was only more polished because there was so little content to polish. 

In this case, the quantity of DN overshadows the quality of Vindictus.

Vindictus' combat feels repetitive. You can use the same skills for every battle and it will work every time.

"Dragon Nest locks you into animations and there is less fluid transition between animations"

You have no idea what you're talking about.. have you even played Dragon Nest? 

Dragon Nest does not have a fishing mini-game.. but it has PVP

I find horse-racing mini-games to be more fun than fishing. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6cDX4jW_-k

I have played CN Dragon Nest up to level 40

and currently quit Vindictus with a level 51 Lann.

I think I'm able to compare and contrast both games more than you..

• EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

I'd like to disagree.

I could go on....

I only brought up aesthetics just incase it would (eventually) become a part of the argument.

And at least DN has environments. Vindcitus has colhen, that long road to the city (that no on uses)

and the city itself. And then.. nothing.

So.. 3 total instaced areas.. Great.

Oh yeah, there's the boat, I guess.

Your "REAL" combo system isn't any more exciting (it's actually less.)

It's basically slash/slash/slash/finishing attack. That's not a combo..

Physics based gameplay.. big deal.

I know for a fact that after 30 levels, I stopped using my "environment" to kill my enemies and stuck to just spamming my attacks over and over again. At least in Dragon Nest you can approach each battle differently.

And yes, size affects 0.1% of gameplay and it is TOTALLY noticable.

Vindictus was only more polished because there was so little content to polish. 

In this case, the quantity of DN overshadows the quality of Vindictus.

Vindictus' combat feels repetitive. You can use the same skills for every battle and it will work every time.

"Dragon Nest locks you into animations and there is less fluid transition between animations"

You have no idea what you're talking about.. have you even played Dragon Nest? 

Dragon Nest does not have a fishing mini-game.. but it has PVP

I find horse-racing mini-games to be more fun than fishing. :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6cDX4jW_-k

The game is easy enough in the early levels that you could just do that.   Starting from boat 5 and beyond though, you really need to learn the intricacies of the combat system.

The unique aspect of Vindictus is that it has real hitboxes that change based on your animation.   This is EXTREMELY important in the higher levels of play as utlizing these changes in hitboxes allows you to attack while dodging attacks that'd otherwise hit you.

For example, the sprint smash for Fiona/Lann was regarded as pretty useless until people figured out some of their unique properties.   Fiona's sprint smash could be heavy stander cancelled to instantly cancel the animation, allowing for a rapid series of burst smashes that you otherwise wouldn't be able to do normally.

However, their real utility is that they allow for quick instant movement that also reduces your hitbox.   This in turn transform them into a dodge.   Some attacks which cannot be dodged with the normal rolls can actually be dodged with the sprint smash.   Lanns also use the sprint smash as a lead into slip dash nimble for certain attacks some bosses have.   Sprint Smash also allows Lanns to crit off of their dodge, giving the opportunity to crit into a Gliding Fury.

The sprint smash is also one of the few ways Fiona can dodge an unblockable move by a later boss.   Of course, the timing on it is fairly strict because you need to use that instantaneous hitbox change to move your hitbox out of the way of the attack just as it connects.  

Of course, the different normal combos all have unique properties that you need to exploit.   For example, Fiona's hammer smash, the Stigma Hammer, has a reduced height hitbox on her down swing animation.   This allows her to attack into certain horizontal boss attacks and duck under it while performing the attack.  

Attacks that move the character signicantly are also extremely useful as they allow you to dodge vertical hitbox attacks while attacking.   

Delaying your normals also becomes fairly important later on when you need to predict boss movement to try to land your smash from farther away.   Scythe for example will always attack from farther away, then either go for the 3rd or 4th smash depending on boss movement and location (3rd smash has an extended hit box, but 4th smash does more damage).  

These are the kind of intricate details in combat that you'd see in a fairly advanced action game or even a fighting game.   

At level 30 the game is still in tutorial land.