Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So...what will you do when the current crop of AAA MMOs are gone and only the real F2P games are lef

VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

The question is a simple one, but reuires stepping outside of the 'now' and looking forward to answer,which is something gamer's are usually not that good at.

This is the semi opinion, semi fact bit;

What I am asking is; once the current crrop of AAA MMORPGs that have been converted to a 'Freemium' model have gotten too old for you to want to play and all that are made are cheap real 'F2P' games, what will that mean for games and gamers?

Is the AAA sub quality MMORPG dead man walking?

Will you happily swtich to the 'real' F2P games once they are gone or are unappealing to play anymore due to age?

This is the all out opinion bit;

The current crop of converted games, that so many love, would never have been made the way they are, from basic game design philosophy through to everything else, under a true F2P model.

The converted AAA games are repeatedly falsely used as poster boys for all 'F2P' games, but we all know they do not represent games that are built from the ground up to exploit and push a cash shop.

We will probably never see their like again once they have gone in all honesty. The next generation of games (anything entering development from this point onwards) will not be the same animal at all as those converted AAA ones around today.

By then though they will have served as a bridge to all out cash shop domination (as per the REAL type of cash shop domination that the REAL'F2P' games use) and it will be too late to expect anything else because yet another generation of gamers won't expect anything better.

Does this ring any alarm bells for anyone? Does anyone care about whats coming down the road as long as they have something to play today?

Comments

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

I don't think ftp will ever take over completly.You may see things like the lotro model where you can pay for free but be limited without cash shop items or you will have choice of just a flat monthly fee.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

If no good quality games come out well then it's time to leave, really simple as that. But their will be a demand for them and I don't see it happening.

• SulaaSulaa Member UncommonPosts: 1,329

Will not happen.

But theoreticaly if all that is left are f2p games I will just stop playing mmorpg's. Simple.

Will just spent my money on other things. Plenty of entertaiment/hobby options in the world.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Sulaa

Will not happen.

But theoreticaly if all that is left are f2p games I will just stop playing mmorpg's. Simple.

Will just spent my money on other things. Plenty of entertaiment/hobby options in the world.

This^

WHen it comes to money, not one thing we say will change directions. If it comes to be that the Sub model is no longer profitable, or popular. No amount of forum bitching is going to change a developers direction. We see that now in the themepark focus on WOW features, the companies see money, nothing we say changes their ambition to chase after it.

If this comes to be I'll just focus on one of my other hobbies a little more, it's really no skin off my back.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I'll do what i've been doing for the past 3 years. Play nothing and wait.

I've played Guild Wars here and there and now im waiting for GW2 Which will be a AAA game like Guild Wars I'm sure. I'm done paying $15 a month for MMOs devs just aren't making them any better than when they were first made. Freemium is just horrible. I really hope more companies take notice of Anets payment model. It was successful with Guild Wars and it'll be great with Gw2 most likely.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I have an honest question.

If we say for a second that the original direction of wow was a good on. The direction that was being followed in Vanilla which for example was imo not so themepark taht it wasn't fun. If we only added the improvements to actual game play, but followed the same instance design where there were specific 15 and 40 man instances .. even if they were cut to 10 and 25 .. just none of this hard mode and badge farming easy 5 mans for top end raid loot ... where would we all be?

How many subs did wow have when TBC released? Anyone have a clue? Is that number high enough that if sustained would be more profitable than all the other crap we have now?

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

The US economy is in shambles, if the deal doesn't go through most will be lucky to pay for food with the dollar. F2P is going to win because people will not play for P2P in crisis.

Many MMO players are jobless, I can not stress the importance this will have on F2P vs P2P.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by vesavius

The question is a simple one, but reuires stepping outside of the 'now' and looking forward to answer,which is something gamer's are usually not that good at.

This is the semi opinion, semi fact bit;

What I am asking is; once the current crrop of AAA MMORPGs that have been converted to a 'Freemium' model have gotten too old for you to want to play and all that are made are cheap real 'F2P' games, what will that mean for games and gamers?

Is the AAA sub quality MMORPG dead man walking?

Will you happily swtich to the 'real' F2P games once they are gone or are unappealing to play anymore due to age?

I'm missing the semi fact part. Your post is based on the false assumption that AAA titles are high quality and that F2P games are not.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

The converted AAA games are repeatedly falsely used as poster boys for all 'F2P' games, but we all know they do not represent games that are built from the ground up to exploit and push a cash shop.

*we all* dont know that. most f2p supporters dont know that

they will learn it the painful way, tho...

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Sagasaint

*we all* dont know that. most f2p supporters dont know that

they will learn it the painful way, tho...

I think your right.

I probably give people too much credit with seeing the obvious.

Originally posted by rznkain

I don't think ftp will ever take over completly.You may see things like the lotro model where you can pay for free but be limited without cash shop items or you will have choice of just a flat monthly fee.

The LotR model exists because it was tacked on to a converted AAA game that had existing players that were happy with subs, so they had to merge the old users with the new onesand offering hybrid is the way to that.

The next generation of new MMORPGs will not have to do that.

LotR's gameplay also wasnt built from the ground up to exploit and puh a cash shop, so the cash shop in that game is very different from one in a game like, say, Argos.

In fact, lets be honest, LotR's model isnt the future we face, Argos's is.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

" So...what will you do when the current crop of AAA MMOs are gone and only the real F2P games are left?"

Find one i like and play it. And if that does not happen go back to playing SP games until one pops up.

This have been a good conversation

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

What will happen is what has happened since the dawn of gaming now this is quite a complicated concept so I'll be gentle with you all.

Here starteth the lesson.

There will be some games that are great and there will be some games that are bad and there will be loads of games that are fun and just plain good, no matter how we pay for them.

Here endeth the lesson.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• RedRocketRedRocket Member CommonPosts: 154

I will ermm not really care much. A new market will develop. Maybe when the internet gets old and we get a new medium.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

The OP makes some assumptions but lets roll with it.

I play F2P games (LoL, TF2, HoN) and I see nothing wrong with them.

If the demand is there it will be met. Free market.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It's difficult to predict what I'll be doing in ten years or more.  AAA games do not die, unless/until replaced by "AAA2".

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

AAA F2P games will come, hopefully.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

If only F2P games were left, I wouldn't be playing MMO's anymore.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I seriously doubt that we are going to see the "end" of high quality AAA titles any time soon.  Or attempts at them any way. The smell of that tasty WoW pie is going to keep investors mouths watering for quite some time.  ^^

Not to mention that with advances like Hero Cloud,  creating good games isn't going to take nearly as much money/time.

http://www.heroengine.com/herocloud/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boqHWm3fQmc

Keep in mind that this is just the tip of the iceberg, and that future middle ware apps will be even better. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Icewhite

It's difficult to predict what I'll be doing in ten years or more.  AAA games do not die, unless/until replaced by "AAA2".

Well, yes, they do.

And anyhow I didnt ask what to do once they have 'died' I asked what to do when they are so old that the majority of the market won't play them.

Originally posted by minocin

AAA F2P games will come, hopefully.

But I think you, and others here,and missed the point.

The question isnt about the production quality of 'F2P' MMOs, it is really about the philosophy behind their design.

In other words, will all those LotR players (as an example), once they have been weaned to the concept of 'F2P' as a core element of their games, be happy to play the true Argo F2P type model, when that is all that is offer?

Because, honestly,the next generation of MMOs will have more in common in their play aims and their core philosophy of design with Argo then LotR.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I generally never play F2P games...they are too expensive.  Yes, I meant that ;).

B2P is okay though.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• DerebusDerebus Member Posts: 54

This topic is quite useless, because its main subject is clearly YOUR opinion on the future of MMO's, and since it's an opinion, we can't change it or disagree...

Future: WoD, SWTOR, Arche Age, Tera (maybe), GW2.
    Present: None.
    Past: Eve, RIFT, UO, bunch of F2P crap.

Originally posted by Derebus

This topic is quite useless, because its main subject is clearly YOUR opinion on the future of MMO's, and since it's an opinion, we can't change it or disagree...

Yes, I quite clearly said it was opinion... you don't consider opinions worth discussing? Your opinion is never changed through talking to others?

I am gladto say that isnt true for me.

Look, if you think the question and thread is 'meaningless' then don't participate... it's that easy.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Does this ring any alarm bells for anyone? Does anyone care about whats coming down the road as long as they have something to play today?

What I think is that you will find hybrids coming down the line.

I don't really worry about video games so I can't jump on that train of thought.

As long as the game is fun the I'm cool. If the game actually offers "buy to win" and I mean "real" buy to win items especially or more to the point, if it is a pvp game, then I wouldn't play it.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo