Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recent and Upcoming Subscription MMOs

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Hey guys/gals, was wondering if any well-informed MMO fans here could save me hours and hours of digging and tell me what some recent and upcoming subscription-required MMO's are?

For example, the last 2-3 p2p MMO's that have been released (Rift?  DCUO?) and then the next 2-3 p2p ones slated for release.

Thanks a bunch!

Comments

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

if you will goto the front page and scroll down about halfway there's a box that says, "Top Voted Games", looking even closer there is a very dull grey tab changer between Developing and Released. that should give you the quickest and surest run down of what's on the site, w/o having to wade through hours of trolling, argument, and discussion.

hope that helps.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

I checked and I do see the Development/Released tab, but (unless I'm missing it), I don't see where it shows release dates, or whether the games are sub based, altho the later is somewhat easier to check.  Also those look to be just very partial lists based on popularity/hype.

What I really need is someone who is in the MMO-loop and keeps up with things and knows either 1) the last few sub MMO's to be released or 2) the next few sub MMO's that will be released or 3) both of those things.

I'm sure some MMO fan out there keeps up with it and could help me out!

• SeinaruSeinaru Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 109

To the best of my understanding...

Recently released subscription games

Rift. If there have been any other recent games there has been 0 hype over them. Basically people from all over left their games to play Rift when it launched. Most people reached the level cap and got bored of it in a month or so. However, the developers have been pumping out a lot of patches from what I've seen.

Upcoming subscription games

Mainly, Guild Wars 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic. GW2 actually isn't sub, it's buy to play, but it's still the most hyped game out there right now so it's worth mentioning. I know that most people choose sub over f2p because it means a better community, but the original GW didn't have a bad community and it was b2p too.

Besides those there are a few other hyped games coming out soon like ArcheAge and TERA. I'm not entirely sure of the other ones because GW2 and SWTOR completely eclipse them. But there are others.

Is Rift the only non-f2p MMO that has been released this entire  year so far?  (aside from DCUO which I think released late last year or early this year) 

As far as upcoming releases, I have of course seen GW2 and Star Wars mentioned alot but do they have release dates yet?  Or even release months?  Are there any sub MMO's that have a release date or release month in 2011? 

Thanks!

Originally posted by RollieJoe

Is Rift the only non-f2p MMO that has been released this entire  year so far?  (aside from DCUO which I think released late last year or early this year) 

As far as upcoming releases, I have of course seen GW2 and Star Wars mentioned alot but do they have release dates yet?  Or even release months?  Are there any sub MMO's that have a release date or release month in 2011? 

Thanks!

currently most of the games in development that i have been following, do not have a date. typically they dont even give one till the last minute. you can however get a feel or even a statement from the dev company about year and Q a game release is being aimed for.

swtor is on a fast track right now, with the preorders now officially starting. but even with that the exact date is a guessing game or at best a game of deductive reasoning.

sorry, what i pointed you towards on the front page wasn't what you needed. however, having trolled these forums for a few years and having played a number of mmo's, i still believe you can only get a feel for a release date, until perhaps the last month or two before release.

and i would agree with the previous poster, i do think Rift has been the only AAA p2p mmorpg to have been released in the past year.

is there something more specific you are looking for in a game? or are you just trying to stay informed and getting up to date on what's going on in the world of mmo's?

• LohendLohend Member UncommonPosts: 17

Heroes of Thessalonica will be having its Official Launch in the first half of August. Beta is about to end. THey are patching most of the bugs with this huge patch named to be about 1GB in size so it should get better and better. If u havent played it give it a shot but dont expect perfect gameplay before  Official Launch.

• TrenkerTrenker Member Posts: 88

At MMORPG.com, IMO, it is hard to tell what has just been released.  Which is a shame, because I'm sure many casuals stoop by exactly for that.

It's all about up and coming releases.  I would love to see a section on the main page for 'recently released'.  Why not, half the people are looking for something to play, not just read about future releases.  Perhaps MMORPG.com woudl attract more passers by if they added such a section.

correction on p2p games this year: Gods and Heros-Rome Rising

@chelan - Thanks for pointing out Gods and Heroes, I'll go check it out now.  And yep just trying to stay informed about the p2p MMO scene.

@Rainman - That's just a f2p game according to their website, not what I was asking about.

@Trenker - Yes!  I agree 100%; personally I only come here to try to find out what has been released and what is going to be released and a few details here and there.  I don't want to read 500 articles about games that might be starting Stage 1 of 12 beta in 2015.  But their main page is almost useless for this, so I have to come ask for help on the forums :-)

• LohendLohend Member UncommonPosts: 17

Yea sry  about that, happens when ur at many topics same time. it was for F2P pvp topic.

• delimeat567delimeat567 Member Posts: 56

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/estimatedRelease/sOrder/desc

That is a list of all the games with release dates that are coming/have come out. If they are subscription based, they will have a $ sign in the column marked "Pay."

Played: SWG, SWG:NGE, EQ2, Vanguard, LotRO, WoW, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Mortal Online, Rift, Guild Wars, Fallen Earth, EVE Online, Ryzom, Dungeons and Dragons Online, World of Tanks, Aion, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2

Thanks Deli, that list was good to look through, although I see it has alot of mistakes, shows some f2p games as subs, lists non-PC games, etc. (like listing Xyson as a game!  /drumroll) but it was still informative to see what upcoming games are planned to be subs.

Still no substitute for good old fashioned people though.  I'm waiting until next week for Gods and Heroes to have a 3 day trial; but if anyone else has some additional ones to chime in still appreciated.

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115