Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Space combat looks awesome!

Comments

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by Deewe

To the OP:

Space combat in TOR is like fruits you can find in most shops now: It's nice, it's big, it's shiny and that's it: it tastes nothing.

So yes the space combat looks good but it will get old very very fast. You can try out CWA's one if you want to have a close preview. Pretty sure you won't get addicted.

I still don't understand why some people are saying this is a bad idea.  Or, at least implying that it's bad.  If you don't like space combat, then don't take part in it.  How is this a bad thing for them to offer another avenue of progression for players?  Don't include something that some other people like, just because you aren't interested in it?  Why do people have this mentality today?  It doesn't make sense to me.

I could understand if it was a game breaking thing like making the entire game 1st person instead of the widely popular 3rd person views, but this is just simply pushng a positive addition to a game away because of greed.  At leas that's what it seems like. 

It's a bad idea because it's a game breaking issue to add a sub par space sim for space sim fans.

We're not speaking about 1st person view space sim vs 3rd person view one. We are speaking about fully fledged multiplayer 3D space sim vs single player point and click system.

Let me take an analogy made long time ago:

As some people have difficulty to get how it can be disappointing for a space sim fan, please let me draw this analogy.

We are on a MadMax MMO RPG forum, the developers hints/announce cars, then races.

People are expecting either Colin MACRAE, Formula1, NASCAR Racing outdoor driving with vehicle weapons, selection of customizable cars in the end getting:

- Steering

- Pre-chosen Trucks/Mobile homes

- Weapons sats customization

- No Manual Transmission

- No brakes

- No gas pedal

- No decals nor choice of chassis colors

-And maybe even cars on rails

Or shorter version by MesserFR:

"it's like having heard about a car race announcement, in the end not getting engines, nor a racing circuit but a trottoir (sidewalk/pavement) and two electric wheelchair."

(^ yup this could be very fun for sure)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

It's a bad idea because it's a game breaking issue to add a sub par space sim for space sim fans.

We're not speaking about 1st person view space sim vs 3rd person view one. We are speaking about fully fledged multiplayer 3D space sim vs single player point and click system.

Your reasoning would only make sense if the game was designed or they ever planned to accommodate for Space Sim fans. Sorry but in gaming as a whole the space sim genre has been dying off, hardly anyone makes those games any more. The last good attempt at one I remember was X3 and how long ago did that come out?

Very few companies indie or mainstream are making Space Sims, if this is the case, why would Bioware be expected to, when they're not even designing a game about space in the first place? They're focus is the ground game, and not much more. In the future that may be different, however I still wouldn't expect a space sim ever. Maybe some multiplayer and a little free-roam, I doubt they're going to remove the arcadeyness of the design itself though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Malickie

Your reasoning would only make sense if the game was designed or they ever planned to accommodate for Space Sim fans. Sorry but in gaming as a whole the space sim genre has been dying off, hardly anyone makes those games any more. The last good attempt at one I remember was X3 and how long ago did that come out?

Very few companies indie or mainstream are making Space Sims, if this is the case, why would Bioware be expected to, when they're not even designing a game about space in the first place? They're focus is the ground game, and not much more. In the future that may be different, however I still wouldn't expect a space sim ever. Maybe some multiplayer and a little free-roam, I doubt they're going to remove the arcadeyness of the design itself though.

So you mean space sim can suck because the game wasn't designed for space sim fans?

Sure dude....

So you mean space sim can suck because the game wasn't designed for space sim fans?

Sure dude....

No I was just offering you a realization on the industries focus on Space Sims. Which again the space sim is a dying breed of the gaming world.

Sure dude....

No I was just offering you a realization on the industries focus on Space Sims. Which again the space sim is a dying breed of the gaming world.

My apologies then.

So question is why bothering making a space content if not for space sim fans?

It's like adding a car game in an MMO but not for people liking car games. I don't get it.

My apologies then.

So question is why bothering making a space content if not for space sim fans?

It's like adding a car game in an MMO but not for people liking car games. I don't get it.

Only Bioware can answer that question, I have no desire to considering it's not a feature I have any interest in, or would miss if it wasn't there at all.

Only Bioware can answer that question, I have no desire to considering it's not a feature I have any interest in, or would miss if it wasn't there at all.

Fair enough

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by Kebeck

Originally posted by Gajari

Space in Star Wars was never the main focus of attention. The current space battles more accurately reflect what the movies were like than open space would. They'll even have you and your partner and whoever else talking to each other, making comments about situations as it goes on in the final product, which is also really cool. I think they'll make it pretty entertaining with all the elements combined.

I think the main argument about the current design of space battles in TOR, right now, is that space in Star Wars IS a main focus of attention. The main plot of the movies may runs around the two Skywalker.. But most of the movies starts or finish with an epic space battle.. A lot of people wants to have this translated into the game in a MMO way..

I, for one, will need to play the actual thing in order to make an opinion on space combat in TOR.. But from what we've seen so far, it could be a lot of fun.. I'm a big fan of Star Fox, and if they can nail it right, it could be a great alternative, like fishing or any other activity there is in other MMOs..

The way TOR's space combat plays is similar to the movies. There was no free flight in space in a space battle. It was in your face action. Dodging asteroids, shooting at fighters, boming destroyers, flying through fire and down a trench, flying into and out of the Death Star. Things that will be in this tunnel shooter mini game.

I do agree that I would like to see it go more MMO though. Having other players in the same space instance, but on different paths to complete an objective. Or Players on the same ship maning turrits. Or even a limited free flight zone based on objectives.

So I think you are wrong and right at the same time. But I am ok with what will be in the game. I will enjoy the option just for the fun of it. Can break up the leveling, even though I won't need it with the BW story system. image

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• KalferKalfer Member Posts: 779

Originally posted by Gajari

I'm getting tired of people ragging on the space combat in SW:TOR. It looks fun and involving and a really nice change of pace to the usual. I like that you can still get xp in ways, complete bonus missions as they pop up, acquire upgrades for your ship, etc., while you're doing it so it is a reasonable way to spend your time in game and still see some progression if you feel less inclined to play the usual MMO bits.

If they made an open, free-roamable space, then the combat would be dumbed down and it would get boring and stagnant quickly for many. I would even say 100% positive the majority of players would not enjoy that as much once it was out as they will the current system.

Space itself is boring. The intense, action-packed space battles that will be possible with the current system is not.

Space in Star Wars was never the main focus of attention. The current space battles more accurately reflect what the movies were like than open space would. They'll even have you and your partner and whoever else talking to each other, making comments about situations as it goes on in the final product, which is also really cool. I think they'll make it pretty entertaining with all the elements combined.

Who's with me?

This is all just my opinion, don't take anything I say about the playerbase as meant to be entirely factual or anything.

Haters to the left, fanboy barrel roll to the right.

It's what peppy would have wanted!

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703

You're right, actually, I'm a bit closed-minded when it comes to such things. They should try to cater to a degree to as many people as they possibly can within reason. Hm... damn.. maybe if they combined the two?

Like... you can travel around in an open free-roam space... but you can travel, unlock things, maybe have some crafting happen while in space, but when you get into a battle, the battles are the shooter game they have at the moment...

They wouldn't have to abandon their system at the moment, and it would expand the game quite a bit for those that are interested.

Even if they only had a small team devoted to it, and they released it in a SWG:JTL type expansion.

Would something like this work fine for you?

PS: The UO information here isn't exactly what I'd call relevant to the actual topic, so I'm not bothering to respond to it. I'm not ignoring it, though.

Proof of minority being interested in space, if based on the number of Eve players compared to the rest: http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

Sorry but that isn't proof of anything, it's just numbers someones made up, then put into a graph to pretend they haven't.

And like you said would be better to release actual space combat in an expansion.

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

Originally posted by Karahandras

You're right, actually, I'm a bit closed-minded when it comes to such things. They should try to cater to a degree to as many people as they possibly can within reason. Hm... damn.. maybe if they combined the two?

Like... you can travel around in an open free-roam space... but you can travel, unlock things, maybe have some crafting happen while in space, but when you get into a battle, the battles are the shooter game they have at the moment...

They wouldn't have to abandon their system at the moment, and it would expand the game quite a bit for those that are interested.

Even if they only had a small team devoted to it, and they released it in a SWG:JTL type expansion.

Would something like this work fine for you?

PS: The UO information here isn't exactly what I'd call relevant to the actual topic, so I'm not bothering to respond to it. I'm not ignoring it, though.

Proof of minority being interested in space, if based on the number of Eve players compared to the rest: http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

Sorry but that isn't proof of anything, it's just numbers someones made up, then put into a graph to pretend they haven't.

And like you said would be better to release actual space combat in an expansion.

Denial is a terrible thing.

But yes, there are opportunities for improvement and expansion in everything, so it'll likely go through some changes as time goes on.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Originally posted by Paradigm68

Originally posted by Argo951

People need to realize this isnt Star Trek.

Star Wars is more about space combat than Star Trek

No, its really not.

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

Originally posted by Draemos

No, its really not.

No, it really is.  Space combat was far more important in Star wars then Star trek movies.

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

Originally posted by artemisentr4

The way TOR's space combat plays is similar to the movies. There was no free flight in space in a space battle. It was in your face action. Dodging asteroids, shooting at fighters, boming destroyers, flying through fire and down a trench, flying into and out of the Death Star. Things that will be in this tunnel shooter mini game.

Yes the linear gameplay is like a movie...  well I don't remember ships passing Luke's X-wing so luke can shoot them. 

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.

• bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

The problem with the space sim (i.e. SWG's) is that it really isn't "star wars," either.  The dogfights in the movies were very fast paced and theatrical.  SWG was ... a very slow and boring process just to fly from here to the space station.  And while the dog fighting aspect was fun sometimes, it was TOO "realisitic" IMO. 

The problem with TOR is they went too far in the OTHER direction.  It's tooo linear, but at the same time, allows for a more theatrical presentation.  I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it, Star Fox can be fun of course... but it's not my cup of tea either.  Still in both cases, I know both types are fun.

The best idea IMO, would have been to go the route of Rouge Squadron/Leader games.  Those gave you a free roaming ability, with waypoints... and were fairly theatrical.  They should have gone this route.  And they very well may do that.  Do you really believe that it's impossible they wouldn't have more than one version of space after launch?  One kind of game being the tunnel shooter another being maybe like the RL/RS games?  Or even a sim?  RL's battle of endor level sure felt "star wars," to me.

Originally posted by bleed0range

The problem with the space sim (i.e. SWG's) is that it really isn't "star wars," either.  The dogfights in the movies were very fast paced and theatrical.  SWG was ... a very slow and boring process just to fly from here to the space station.  And while the dog fighting aspect was fun sometimes, it was TOO "realisitic" IMO. 

The problem with TOR is they went too far in the OTHER direction.  It's tooo linear, but at the same time, allows for a more theatrical presentation.  I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it, Star Fox can be fun of course... but it's not my cup of tea either.  Still in both cases, I know both types are fun.

The best idea IMO, would have been to go the route of Rouge Squadron/Leader games.  Those gave you a free roaming ability, with waypoints... and were fairly theatrical.  They should have gone this route.  And they very well may do that.  Do you really believe that it's impossible they wouldn't have more than one version of space after launch?  One kind of game being the tunnel shooter another being maybe like the RL/RS games?  Or even a sim?  RL's battle of endor level sure felt "star wars," to me.

I would have LOVED a RS/Battlefront 2 basic style of space combat.  It would have been fun, lots of room for improvment, easy to have lots of players, and easy to play.   If they would have that kind of combat I would be buying SWTOR in a heartbeat but to me this tunnel shooter and how they are pushing it just seems wierd and like they got lazy imo.

• bleed0rangebleed0range Member Posts: 109

Originally posted by Drakxii

I would have LOVED a RS/Battlefront 2 basic style of space combat.  It would have been fun, lots of room for improvment, easy to have lots of players, and easy to play.   If they would have that kind of combat I would be buying SWTOR in a heartbeat but to me this tunnel shooter and how they are pushing it just seems wierd and like they got lazy imo.

I don't think it was "lazy," but a way to create space content at launch.  They knew it will/would probably take a very long time to create a truly epic multiplayer version of space, but they needed some form of space to go along with the ship for your story arc.  So they implemented a "travel from ehre to there" mini game of sorts.  I can see in the future, a more fully developed version of space.  BioWare don't like to talk about things until they're sure about them so this could be being worked on right now for all we know.

I don't think it was "lazy," but a way to create space content at launch.  They knew it will/would probably take a very long time to create a truly epic multiplayer version of space, but they needed some form of space to go along with the ship for your story arc.  So they implemented a "travel from ehre to there" mini game of sorts.  I can see in the future, a more fully developed version of space.  BioWare don't like to talk about things until they're sure about them so this could be being worked on right now for all we know.

Well like I said it's lazy imo.  The only difference I see bewteen a tube shooter and RS/BF2 type space game is that you need to code AI, better collision detection and better movement.  The damage works the same, the firing works the same, the models would be the same, etc... 

Also two things.  

1.  As far as I know, it isn't a traveling minigame you go out of your way to play it.

2.  If their "core" fans don't seem to mind this 'minigame' why would they change it to a different sytle of game?

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

No, its really not.

No, it really is.  Space combat was far more important in Star wars then Star trek movies.

Star Trek is space and spaceships.  Star Wars is Jedi and the force.  It's really not .

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

No, its really not.

Star Trek is space and spaceships.  Star Wars is Jedi and the force.  It's really not .

its a misconception Starwars is not about the Jedi and the force.. they were in it. thats all, its like saying that lord of the rings is just about legolas and the elves.... to some it might be.. but it really isnt.image

• GajariGajari Member Posts: 984

No, its really not.

If we're going by space battles, Star Trek really downplayed most of the ship combat because people were mostly interested in what was  happening inside the ship, or on the planets. I actually don't remember any scenes... I just remember it's usually always "do this, do that" and a lot of the times they only describe what's happening but don't show it. In terms of shown combat in space, Star Wars likely beats it and did spend longer on it.

In the end, it's not the main focus of either IP, but it appeared to be more prominent in Star Wars.

That's how I remember it, anyway.

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by someforumguy

my advice for him is to look at ....  EVE

Yeah EvE's Aproach, Orbit, F1-F8 would be so much better and interesting that what SW:TOR has!

</sarcasm>

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890

No, its really not.

Let me break it down for you.

Star Trek: You got a "Star"  which is stands for space and you got "Trek", which is a journey. Star Trek was more about exploration than anything else.

Star Wars: I think you can see where I'm going with this... You got your  "Star" again, we've already covered that, and you got "Wars" which stands for combat, warfare, battles, etc...

• testament1testament1 Member Posts: 36

Well, if the players don't act like spoiled impatient brats, and actually give Bioware time to develop the game...I'm sure the space combat will be expanded greatly. 

We should feel lucky that it's shipping with space combat at all. Hell, WoW didn't even ship with PvP, and Blizzard was able to develop that greatly since release. 

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

there are so many spoiled brats in these forums lol, why doesn't it have space exploration, why doesn't it have swimming, why doesn't it have the ability to climb a tree, pull a cats tail and then have the cat scratch you, why doesn't it have the ability to project a meal to me in real life so I don't have to cook?

I have never seen a side game implemented so well. The gaphics look good, its a good time waster, etc. It wasn't meant for anything more. What doesn't make sense is why they didn't implement other side things like Paazak. Maybe because people in this thread feel that it would need to be played in a casino on its own planet because we don't have enough planets lol.

There Is Always Hope!