Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help finding game like EQ but different as noted below

taxguytaxguy Member Posts: 60

I am looking for an MMORPG that is like Everquest that has unlimited amount of alternative advancement abilities that I can eventually use and/or levels but is different from EQ and other games as follows:

First, it won't have PVP or will have very limited PVP.

Second, I don't have to run for many minutes to zones like eq in  order to buy necessary items or find necessary mobs. I hate having to waste large amounts of time running to various places.

Third, I don't care if free or not. Free is preferred but not necessary.

Fourth, There is no required camping for items that take as much as 30 minutes or more to simply wait around for the right items.

Fifth, a death penalty that isn't severe.

Sixth, isn't WoW. 

Seventh, not a hugely complicated game with hundreds of zones yet like you will find in EQ.

Eighth, lots of items with constant updates for new armor and weapons.

Nineth, Is solo friendly,but might need groups for some areas and/'or raids.

Tenth, doesn't require grouping in order to find decent items.

Comments

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

More chance of the US government agreeing on the debt crisis than you are going to find a game you like.

Why so many demands, this will guarantee you will end up disappointed.

• taxguytaxguy Member Posts: 60

I am most interested in the unlimited AAs and /or levels  but some of the other items that I mentioned can be waived. However, this is what I would consider ideal. I didn't know if there was an MMORPG that had these features.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

what does AA and AAA mean. I hear people say AAA title and what not, but i'm not sure what they exactly are referring to.

Tax guy,

your game doesn't exist.

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • kastakasta Member Posts: 512

So you want a game that is like EQ but is nothing like EQ?  Yeah, um, good luck with that.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Age of Conan, perhaps.

But really your list is never going to be completely fulfilled.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

That's funny.  The only way to play a game that isn't like EQ(grind grind grind), is UO.  Which was released before EQ.

I've been here a while...
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by Cryomatrix

what does AA and AAA mean. I hear people say AAA title and what not, but i'm not sure what they exactly are referring to.

Tax guy,

your game doesn't exist.

"Alternate Advancement" for AA

AAA is usually reserved for the top most games (in this case) with the most money and supposedly quality and experience put behind it.

I truth it's probably taken from bond ratings. such as...

AAA and AA:  High credit-quality investment grade

AA and BBB:  Medium credit-quality investment grade

BB, B, CCC, CC, C: Low credit-quality (non-investment grade), or "junk bonds"  

D:  Bonds in default for non-payment of principal and/or interest

As far as the OP's question, I was going to suggest Vangaurd as I've read that it's closer to EQ however the rest of his requirements are such that I have no game to recommend to him as I don't know any game that has that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Tax guy,

your game doesn't exist.

AA refers to Alternate Advancement.  These are points that you can distribute or exchange amongst your regular EXP earned (and earn after you hit max level too)  to gain extra abilities and passive bonuses.  It's pretty much an alternate form of leveling and progression.  I believe it originated in EQ's Luclin (or was it Velious?) expansion and several MMOs have adopted it since.

AAA is a high quality title, usually produced by a well known developer and publisher with several million dollar budgets.  It's expected to be on top seller lists at release.  Examples of AAA games would be Blizzard titles (World of Warcraft, Diablo III, and Starcraft 2), the Halo series, and most Valve games.

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

Age of Conan is the closest MMO that would fill the requirements of the list, but it's nothing like EQ.  Then again, neither are the items you put in your list.

• RevivialRevivial Member Posts: 194

Tax guy,

your game doesn't exist.

Edit: Magnum beat me.

AAA, Topshelf, Prime, etc... All words you could use to articulate that you consider X of the highest quality.

"I swear -- by my life and my love for it -- that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
    - John Galt

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

Hey guys,

Thanks for your responses, i figured AAA meant the best of the best but me being a baseball fan was like, AAA . . . not major league?

Also, I feel that a movie worth paying for at the cinemas is one where a 100 million dollar budget was needed. I violate that rule all the time but usually i'm not disappointed when the price is $100.

Likewise with games.

I feel like playing lineage 2 again, if it wasn't for the friggin bots that directly hampered your gaming the game would have been amazing but i left cuz of the bots and the grind. Ridiculous really.

Oh well, who cares.

No game is going to have all those demands for me i find it wierd that what usually addicts me can be random at times and based on my mood, i mean, how the hell did i get addicted to Runes of Magic and Entropia universe . . .

I think someone should give me 1 billion dollars to play with so I can make my own video game :) or just buy a game withotu much financial support like mortal online, vanguard or whateve rand spruce it up.

bye

Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by taxguy

I am looking for an MMORPG that is like Everquest that has unlimited amount of alternative advancement abilities that I can eventually use and/or levels but is different from EQ and other games as follows:

First, it won't have PVP or will have very limited PVP.

Second, I don't have to run for many minutes to zones like eq in  order to buy necessary items or find necessary mobs. I hate having to waste large amounts of time running to various places.

Third, I don't care if free or not. Free is preferred but not necessary.

Fourth, There is no required camping for items that take as much as 30 minutes or more to simply wait around for the right items.

Fifth, a death penalty that isn't severe.

Sixth, isn't WoW. 

Seventh, not a hugely complicated game with hundreds of zones yet like you will find in EQ.

Eighth, lots of items with constant updates for new armor and weapons.

Nineth, Is solo friendly,but might need groups for some areas and/'or raids.

Tenth, doesn't require grouping in order to find decent items.

OP if nobody has told you yet, VANGUARD is what you are looking for.

Vanguard is basically LOTRO but in a Everquest skin.

Just imagine that, and you get Vanguard.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Not free...but cheap...Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206

I always like the continuous improvement idea of AA's yet detested the fact that they were put into EQ.

"need raid Enchanter - 120 AA's minimum.  AA required skills as follows: ..."

What the hell is the difference between AA's and levels at that point?

--------------

AA's are a short-cut attemt at bridging the "skills tree" approach and "class" approach to character advacement within games. 

Your requirements sound more like some variant of diablo.  A waiting-room game that you can log-on and share.  A chat channel (use steam to buy it and you'll get one with the service).  "stuff" that drops but where you never have to do anything but log on, do things, log off - all in 1 hour or less.

Honestly - don't play MMO's.  Look for one of those connecting stand-alone games with a coop mode.  You'll be much happier and able to save/restore.

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Mabinogi.  Go play it.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

found 2 that you might like

1.  barbie.com

2. hellokittyonline.com

:D

so...  basiclly you want a game like EQ but you dont have to play it to win:D