Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is a WoW clone, so why am I having fun?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I been playing this mmorpg game. its a WoW clone, (yeah like we never seen one of those before). on paper, this game sounds like a piece of crap, worst than most WoW clones. But I gave it a chance. I am having fun. But Why? This game could be described as WoW Minus EVERYTHING or almost Everything feature wise, that we consider 'WoW's Endgame" to be. No dungeons, no PvP, just Quest Grind and Crafting. Yeah,,, that sounds pretty dull, if you ask me. But I been having fun. This game is non other than Gameloft's Order and Chaos Online.... haha. a complete WoW clone. Some may say, I am being forgiving because of the fact that its a MMORPG for the Smartphone. But come on now people. The game plays on Wifi Only. Usually places I could be playing WoW on my Laptop or Netbook. So I don't really see that as an excuse, since I only play the game at home. This got me thinking. I notice after many different WoW clones,, they all seem to lack something that can keep me motivated to sub to that game and not think about returning to WoW. the other WoW clne that did this for me was Rift, but it also lacked something or had a vibe, that made me go back. What I notice, is a physiological effect. What I believe turns people on to the idea of a WoW clone, obvious are the similarities it has to WoW.----------------------------------------------

When Developers change philosophies of WoW, it no longer gives the vibe that the game will be similar to WoW any more. This is what happen to Warhammer, AoC, and Aion. It takes the same old Everquest Lite Model aka (WoW Clone) but changes the Theme of something that people liked about WoW.---------------------------------------------------

in Warhammer, I didn't like the starter areas, and I didn't like how the World wasn't Seamless. Also didn't like how the Animations look too realistic in terms of Melee and Movement. Also didn't like how Restricted the classes felt. Each class had its own Weapon and Armors in the game, and the class tree system was very linear compared to WoW. also the lack of PvE Endgame, and no Raiding. come on.
-------------------------------------------

People say WoW clones don't do good because they complete directly with WoW, so why would people leave WoW for that game. Well this is a flawed view. Many WoW Players are looking for a new home. But when they try to move, they ome to their new house and notice its missing a sink/bathtub/roof/carpet/ garage / bedroom/ etc,,, so they pack up and move on back to what they once had.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a WoW clone, you may wonder, "How in the world do you make successful WoW Clonewhile also adding your own special touches?". Well thats simple. The Reason Most WoW clones fail, is because they leave out features that are popular to WoW. by this I mean,,, things such as Player Factions, Multiplay Playable Races, Class System (but not as restricted as Warhammer did it), Raid Dungeons, Grouping tools, Instanced PvP, World PvP, Reactive combat, with Instant control, Siege Quest, and other interesting Quest concepts of their phase tech., player crafting, and trading. the list goes on. to be honest,,, these many things are really a lot for a new MMO to come released with. Believe it or not. WoW basically comes up with this same old thing over and over again with each new x-pac, which is yearly I believe. or year+half or something like that..
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What new WoW clones need to do is,, Build up FROM WoW instead of trying to be Different from WoW as can be, while still trying to be a WoW clone. That just seems silly. Maybe Developers should also stop putting so much focus on graphics. This been proven time and time again. You don't need good graphics to have good Animattions. Bad Animations on the other hand, will turn people away. WoW has WC3 like Graphics, but the Animations are smooth, especially how they feel while in combat. many games try to add a queue system to the combat stem to prevent animations from losing player speed. This adds a delay feel in the combat, which some reason WoW doesn't have, and nether does this Order and Chaos game. don't slow my character down simply because Developers want to show off tome over the top Anime Animations like Aion and Guild Wars does. I much anther have a smooth swing and doesn't look out of place while my character is moving. No click to move, and none of that mess.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Questting isn't the problem. the problem is the fear that a WoW clone, may not be as much of a WoW clone as previously believed.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

For the love of god please space and use the ENTER key every now and then.

• ShubawksShubawks Member UncommonPosts: 6

tl;dr please? XD

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

MMOExposed, you can use "<br>" tags to go to the next line when typing in the mobile format of mmorpg.com forums ^__^

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Castillle

MMOExposed, you can use "

" tags to go to the next line when typing in the mobile format of mmorpg.com forums ^__^

haha ty

I needed that

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

Only read a tiny bit of your post. However, the reason you are having fun is because the game is fun. WoW is fun for millions reguardless of what some people think. Go into games with open minds, not just omg its like WoW and im too cool to llike WoW and its "clones" and you find many fun games. I feel a bit bad for thoose blinded by hate on stuff they never tried because it may have something in common with a game they at least pretend to dislike.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Thempark = fun (for a while).

Sandbox = having to use your brain.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

Some Wow clone are just good and yes it will sound strange but some are inovative too. The fact most lazy dev will take the themepark model to make quick money out of their game doesn't mean they are all lazy and uninovative. Look at Rappelz for exemple, you would think its the most crappy korean grinder, but you know what it have the best pet system i ever played in any ropg game, its not fasinating either, but at least they did it. I bet Swtor companion system is shittier whatever fuzz and proud they get from it. So the fact themepark became the synonyme of funny game *caugh* *caungh* "stupid" game is just the developers fault. If they used that system to make good games and put some thinking into it people wouldn't say that.

• kastakasta Member Posts: 512

Because fun games are fun.  Now everyone has a different idea of what is fun.  I find MMORPG.com to be fun to visit because I enjoy all the venom in people's posts when Blizzard kicks their puppy or when Bioware steals their candy.  What can I say?  I enjoy it.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Originally posted by helthros

For the love of god please space and use the ENTER key every now and then.

Yep.  No way was I going to inflict THAT post on myself.

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

there's one raid in WAR tho...well, sort of a raid...

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by kasta

Because fun games are fun.  Now everyone has a different idea of what is fun.  I find MMORPG.com to be fun to visit because I enjoy all the venom in people's posts when Blizzard kicks their puppy or when Bioware steals their candy.  What can I say?  I enjoy it.

That was chuckleworthy.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

If you like being led by the nose around alot and the teacher constantly telling you to stay within the rails of the ride, of course you're going to enjoy a WoW clone.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by kasta

I find MMORPG.com to be fun to visit because I enjoy all the venom in people's posts when Blizzard kicks their puppy or when Bioware steals their candy.  What can I say?  I enjoy it.

Haha, QFT!

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by Castillle

MMOExposed, you can use "

" tags to go to the next line when typing in the mobile format of mmorpg.com forums ^__^

haha ty

I needed that

NP xD  I actually read your post on my cellphone and had to go to my pc so I can say "<br>" so you can see it xD 

Your post actually looks neat in the mobile version!  xD

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

ihavenoideawhatyouaretryingtosaybecausetheOPisunreadable

• NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

So after gritting my teeth and reading the whole thing..

..WTF man?

• munsil42munsil42 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Originally posted by Nekkuro

So after gritting my teeth and reading the whole thing..

..WTF man?

WTF is right...

• EscargonEscargon Member Posts: 78

I had a hard time reading that. Its impossible to read that to be fair.

A WoW copy can be good if the PvP servers are PvP servers. Not freaking instanced areas which is easy to access. What WoW  copy got that?

Yawn

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Metentso

Thempark = fun (for a while).

Sandbox = having to use your brain.

I love sandbox games on my pc

Could you name me a sandbox game on a smartphone?