Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your definition of "Casual" and "Hardcore" playing?

CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Me is really interested because I sawed this other poll and I was like "Waitwaitwaiiiiitaminute...Whus a casual to other ppl? >.<" 

So umm...Yah what is casual and what is hardcore to you parteh ppls~?

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
( o.o)
(")(")
**This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

Comments

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

For me a casual doesnt play alot due to real like commitments and ahardcore player can focus on a game for many hours a day quite easily.

This is why most hardcore players in a mmo are college kids or old retired people that can play 10-15 hours a day.

I also tend to agree with most people when they say Casuals = sucky players and Hardcore = skilled/pro.

Only for one reason. If u put more time into something obviously you are going to be better than the dude that doesnt.

So to recap Casual = Less time played, not as good of a player due to less time invested.

Hardcore = more time invested and a good player due to that commitment to the game.

Editted 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Casual= someone who centers his gaming time around his personal life.

Hardcore= someone who centers his personal life around his gaming time (In case of an MMORPG-player this would include people with a weekly raid schedule).

May be a bit extreme, but so is calling someone casual/hardcore because he spends a set amount of time on gaming each day.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Here's an example.

I am a casual player when it comes to Borderlands. I play off and on maybe once or twice a week and have a totalled play time of maybe 20 hours in a few months.

My buddy Arkan is hardcore, he plays for hours everyday, his max playtime is around 900 hours.

Due to my casual nature in this particular game im average when it comes to skill and my character simply isnt as progressed.

Arkan on the other hand has three or four maxxed out characters, its an extremely skilled player and has beaten the damn campaign and DLC many, many times.  Guy even has a Borderlands clan

Me = Casual 

Arkon= hardcore.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• NekkuroNekkuro Member Posts: 162

What it meant (According to people):

Casual

Those who simply play for fun!

Hardcore

Those who find competitive environments fun!

What it means today (According to people):

Casual

People who are too stupid to handle hardcore. Pests that are a nuisance to those who play to win. Little boys taking up space that should be reserved for the men.

Hardcore

Idiots who master useless things and go out of their way to make things hard just for the satisfaction of being better than everyone else. Savage animals who find the endurance of rank as a measure of worth and a false sense of importance.

Flame me. I deserve it. But it is the truth. U.U

Just remember, this is not written in stone. This is how the majority of players would describe the subject matter.

• EscargonEscargon Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Castillle

Me is really interested because I sawed this other poll and I was like "Waitwaitwaiiiiitaminute...Whus a casual to other ppl? >.<" 

So umm...Yah what is casual and what is hardcore to you parteh ppls~?

Even i as a MMOer have no clue about casuals and hardcore but i guess its like this: (WOW)

Casual. A newb player. He likes easy content and hates being killed by other players. He rather stay away from dungeons and just plays old raids. He got like 4 titles and 10% of the achivements done. He got a total of 25 mounts. A total of 1000 gold.

As person hes very sensitive. He wants to play as he wants and if something happens on the way he goes instantly to the forum and start QQing to quit WoW if it wont get changed.

Hardcore: Oh my god here we go:

He loves being high rated in both arena and do all raids. All lockouts. Have like 5 mains with full raid gear and is very unsocial if it gets out of serious WoW play. He sits all day behind the PC just to get the best gear with all characters, farm for the Insane title (wow, i mean wow, that title.. i havent progressed in that game even 1/4 of that title), wait till next patch hits and do it all over again.

Each of his alt got 25000 gold, he got a total of 110 mounts+ and got 80+% of total achiviements. He only joins elitist forums.

Once again, hes very sensitive. He puts you on ignore for no big reasons at all and only talks to the super-elite players just like rich people to rich people.

Majority of players are more in the middle. Play the game and accept everything but wont take everything seriously. The guild is everything.

Yawn

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Alot

Hardcore= someone who centers his personal life around his gaming time (In case of an MMORPG-player this would include people with a weekly raid schedule).

May be a bit extreme, but so is calling someone casual/hardcore because he spends a set amount of time on gaming each day.

I agree with this definition.  I tried to think about it in terms of hours, like casual might mean 1-3 hours, a few days a week, while hardcore would mean 6+ hours every day.. but there are other variables, and it's hard to pin down exact numbers.  I've been on both sides of the fence, and yeah, when it comes down to it, it's mostly been all about whether I schedule my life around the game, or vice-versa.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Playing til you drop dead now that is hardcore!

• GrungiGrungi Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Alot

This, exactly.

A casual player jumps into the game whenever their real life permits. They'll log off/on at reasonable hours, have work/family commitments that they prioritise over gaming, and will play an MMO just for the fun of it, not to compete with others.

Hardcore is the opposite, and I agree that all raiders with set raid schedules are inherently "hardcore" to some degree.

It's the best definition of casual/hardcore imo; far better than assigning an arbitrary and subjective number.

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

Heres another (and perhaps smaller) way to look at the question / answers too: :) 

Casual Gamers :  Adults

Hardcore Gamers : Kids to low 20's (age)

Again its just a small maybe to the question. I know with everything there are exceptions so there are many exceptions there, but I believe there is a higher percentage of what my answer is that is right rather than "the exceptions".  I dont say its bad , just that  usually a casual gamer has more important responsiblities than say a hardcore gamer with limited responsabilities. 

Hardcore gamers at many times cant see past the moment, so they do tend to annoy many casual gamers (Im casual). It isnt because we dont understand how to play the game and are mad cause we arent any better than someone running around hitting the jump button every second, its just we understand how unimportant it is in the long run to enjoying the game. Every game I've played MMO wise I"ve gotten max level, on my own time and felt a great satisfaction that I did so with time and patience. Again as being a casual gamer ( and an adult ) , I dont want to spend 60 plus dollars to "get to the end" as fast as possible. If a game is ment to only START at 80 (guess what game I refer too haha) .. then that game just doesnt sound fun to me.  (again, opinions, be nice! hehe ). 

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

There are several different types of Casual and Hardcore.

Casual can mean a person only plays every few days, or for only short periods of time, but it can also stand for those who do play everyday but take their sweet time just enjoying the game.

Hardcore are those who dedicate a large portion of everyday to a game and actually accomplish things, have no time for others (because we're noobs), live and die for PvP, and then there are the types who's only concern is to rush to the finish line and just end up complaining.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Casual Gamer

Hardcore Gamer

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Casual = I can log on and off when I feel like it, even for half an hour or something, and have some entertainment in that time and progress with a char in some way or another. I can also not log on for a week or two weeks if I feel like it, and can basically do that way what I want without missing too much.

Hardcore = I play normally daily. I concentrate on PvP or PvE, and try to be among the best in that matter. I take vacation when a new dungeon gets released to raid it immediately with the guild I'm in or try new battlegrounds. I participate in betas or test servers to gain as much information as possible to have a good start when the patch is implemented, and also "work" on the game while I'm not playing it, like doing numbercrunching, finding better specs, checking where I can find the next better equipment, discussing the games on forums and so on.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679

Me was going to reply then I saw Tardcores picture. 

This is where I make like Keanu Reeves and go "WHOOOAAA~!"

Shockingness o.o

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

I asked this question a while back sort of. I askd what made Final Fantasy 11 hardcore. Apparently Hardcore means that you waste a lot of your time getting very little progress. Or rather you just do something for a long long long long long looooooong time while slowly progressing. And casual means just playing something for a short time.

So something being hardcore has nothing to do with difficultly at all. Just how long you can tolerate something.

Hardcore Game = Slow progression, takes a long time to get stuff (items, exp, etc)

Hardcore Gamer = Plays something for hours and hours everyday (or almost everyday). Spends most of free time playing.

Casual Game = Take little time to progress and achieve things

Casual Gamer = Plays a few hours at a time. Or maybe only plays on weekends/days off

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

They are degrees of gameplay.

• Casual is low commitment.

• Hardcore is high commitment.

That commitment can be in time, knowledge, moeny or otherwise.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• AIMonsterAIMonster Member UncommonPosts: 2,059

I consider it based on time only.  Some others may view the terms differently (based on playstyle).  Here is my view:

Casual - Less than 20 hours week spent gaming.

Semi-Hardcore - Between 20-40 hours a week spent gaming; however has no problem dropping below 20 at some points.  Would still be considered a "gamer" in every sense of the word.

Hardcore - 40+ hours a week spent gaming.  Generally their only hobby.  Usually this is negative (they are addicted), but it is still possible to maintain decent health, a normal (40 hour a week) job, and a social life even with 45-50 hours a week spent gaming.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Magnum2103

I consider it based on time only.  Some others may view the terms differently (based on playstyle).  Here is my view:

Casual - Less than 20 hours week spent gaming.

Semi-Hardcore - Between 20-40 hours a week spent gaming; however has no problem dropping below 20 at some points.  Would still be considered a "gamer" in every sense of the word.

Hardcore - 40+ hours a week spent gaming.  Generally their only hobby.  Usually this is negative (they are addicted), but it is still possible to maintain decent health, a normal (40 hour a week) job, and a social life even with 45-50 hours a week spent gaming.

As long as you realize that you are adding your own personal conditions to the terms. That's what counts. :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

casual = playing less than 10 hours/week

hardcore = playing more than 40 hours/week

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

While the number of hours is definitely an understandable approach .. there are actually a lot of guilds that clear all content in 20 or less hours a week because they are hardcore.

IMO it's a mindset more than anything else. A hardcore player does what is necessary to complete content before it is nerfed. A casual player approaches the game as more of a game. Not that hardcore players dont approach it as a game, but they approach it more as a sport. Like I play chess with my friends. I don't play chess in major competitions. Thus I am a casual chess player. The guys who goto chess meets and use timers are hardcore chess players. That isn't to say I can't beat them from time to time .. but generally casual players aren't as good at a game. Not that they dont have the potential to be as good .. but they don't care about being as good.

On the other hand I have played 40+ hours a week before and not been able to clear content that others can clear. Maybe that was partially because of the guild .. but also because for me it's not about being the best. Its about having fun with friends .. thus I am a more casual player.

I think the important thing to realize is just because someone is more casual than you doesn't mean they are casual ... there is a lot of green in between the blues and the yellows.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Casual = bought the game to display the box on his coffee table while he entertains real life visitors.

Hardcore = quit their job and got a divorse.  Actually injured themself to collect disability.  Gives the neibhor's kid his food stamp card to bring hot pockets twice a week.