Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Halo Fan Pwned At Pawn Shop

firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Halo's MJOLNIR Assault Armor is a technological marvel, protecting its wearer from weapons, radiation, and other hazards. It has a regenerating shield that soaks up damage, making members of the SPARTAN program one of the most survivable forces in the galaxy. How much is a suit of the stuff worth? As a wearer learns on the History Channel's Pawn Stars show, the answer is "not much."

The segment starts with our leotard-clad hero unboxing various parts of the suit. After modeling it in the store, he explains that he's seen similar suits sell for as much as $15,000. Fortunately, he's setting his sights to a more realistic figure of $2,000, which he plans to use to pay off some debt. He estimates that he spent 700 or so hours building the suit.

Watch the episode here to see a young man's dreams smashed into a million particles. The Halo part starts right around the 3 minute mark, if you're one of those impatient types.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/07/28/halo-fan-pwned-at-pawn-shop.aspx

Comments

• ZolgarZolgar Member Posts: 533

Not a huge Halo fan myself, but that is still pretty nifty that he made that himself.

$100 offer was indeed quite a bit low, and how Corey says he doesn't think he could sell it is just insane, especially after it has been on TV, which kind of reinforces my thoughts that some of this is set up.

0118 999 881 999 119 725... 3

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

I should think no stupid pawn star  would say the price is at  $15k. The idea is to buy dirt cheap n sell it very high. They would buy it at $2k and sell it off at $15k lol.

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

To pay off some debt he is selling something that probably put him in debt. Sweet irony.

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

If he used those 700 hours to work a minimum wage job ($7.25/hr) then he would have $5,075 before taxes.  So if he only wanted $2,000 then he worked at only about $2.85 an hour.  I think he would have been better off just getting a job.

Edit:

He says the debt is from student loans.

Originally posted by TheMinn

To pay off some debt he is selling something that probably put him in debt. Sweet irony.

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

Originally posted by marinrider

If he used those 700 hours to work a minimum wage job ($7.25/hr) then he would have $5,075 before taxes.  So if he only wanted $2,000 then he worked at only about $2.85 an hour.  I think he would have been better off just getting a job.

lol

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

hes a halo fan boy with unpaid student loan debt, obviously in this economy his liberal arts degree disqualifies him from getting even the lowliest minimum wage jobs.  he would have to compete witht he illegals for sub min wage jobs. which anyone with an xbox would think themselves too good for anyway =p

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

Instead of being an idiot, and taking it to the pawn shop, he should sell it directly to Halo fans. So many people on that show could do much better if they put more work and time into selling their shit.

• GemmaGemma Member UncommonPosts: 337

Originally posted by neorandom

hes a halo fan boy with unpaid student loan debt, obviously in this economy his liberal arts degree disqualifies him from getting even the lowliest minimum wage jobs.  he would have to compete witht he illegals for sub min wage jobs. which anyone with an xbox would think themselves too good for anyway =p

THis ^^^^^^^^^^^

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Originally posted by Jackcolt

Instead of being an idiot, and taking it to the pawn shop, he should sell it directly to Halo fans. So many people on that show could do much better if they put more work and time into selling their shit.

A lot of times people bring stuff to the shop because they don't know how much its worth.  Its possible he's tried selling it for 2K and nobody bought it.

As they've said on the show a number of times,  its all about what they can sell,  I honestly don't think they'd be able to sell that very easily in their shop.  I think it would have been easier just to sell the helmet than a whole suit.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

Not only is he not making very much on the deal but he also has to use it to pay college debt? college is a scam.

• Osias000Osias000 Member Posts: 110

I love that show. I watched the whole thing. His son and dad kept selling the posters he wanted for the wall, heh.

But yea, ebay is the better bet for that halo stuff. Pawn shops buy stuff to sell it, and they can't always find the perfect buyer for it. So, they have to low ball the price considerably. Theres also the fact that people are loosing intrest in the game at this point, but they wouldn't have known that.

"cinnamon buns"
    - Pickles

• AkiyeAkiye Member Posts: 109

cant blame him for not wanting to buy it for much. If i was a pawn shop owner i wouldnt even have offered 100. ITs a risky investment no matter how much you personally might enjoy the games

• SupergrassSupergrass Member Posts: 110

Wouldn't surprise me if that show is completely fake/scripted.

I'm more than sure I saw the coffee grinder they (Pawn Stars) bought and had refurbished on their sister show American Pickers. image

Currently Playing:

Nothing.

• Kaijin2k3Kaijin2k3 Member Posts: 558

Best way to sell it is to take awesome showcase pictures plus video (youtube works). Then put it up for bidding on eBay.

Then take the awesome showcase pictures (and youtube video if it was made) and post it on a Halo Fansite AND a Cosplayer site. Then you can sit back and watch the bidding roll.

Though I doubt it would reach $2000, but hey, you never know...

I find it really odd to go to a pawn shop for something like this.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Fuck the pawnshop he should have sold it on EBAY!