Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't know how and I don't know why

sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

but somebody has hacked into my wow account and I don't appreciate it.

I haven't played this game in a while, I was told by my brother and his friends that somebody was running around on my toon, and they thought it was me but it wasn't.. This was months ago I didn't believe it, just yesterday or so I tried to log in after getting few messages , and the name on the account was changed aswell as the password and email.

I am not too pleased, I never went to any site and put in my info , so I know it was through no fault of my own. Not sure how this even happened really. How do these people get your info if you are too smart for the phish attempts, hell I don't even use that email that much , when I do I just log in and check things to make sure the email does not go inactive for too long.

"When it comes to GW2 any game is fair game"

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

same thing happened to me..i had no security issues either..so i did the right thing and uninstalled wow..never had probs with any other mmo.

• sungodrasungodra Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by kevjards

same thing happened to me..i had no security issues either..so i did the right thing and uninstalled wow..never had probs with any other mmo.

same, i never had problems with any mmo, I don't know why this is so prevalent in wow. I'm not trying to bash the game or bash blizzard, but this just seems to happen to them all the time.

People will tell you it is somehow your fault, but I know about the phish attempts, I always ignore those. I have no idea how they stole my account, unless it was through those add ons from curse.com

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Same here.  Wierd story.  I hadn't touched my WoW account in 9 months.  Then out of the blue. I was thinking about playing again and went to check into my account.   It had been activated 6 hours before.  I logged on and found my main in the middle of an instance.  I had interupted someone else playing my toon.  I spent the next two hours getting kicked off, changing my password, kicking the hyjacker off, then having to change the email on the account then the password again.  I also sent Blizzard an email.  Finally I got one back from them saying it looked like my accout had some suspicious activity, lol.

My main had been respec'd and it and all my alts had been looted. 

Blizzard blocked the account for a few days then returned all my things.  But also I hadn't picked up any keyloggers and even if I did what whould it have done for them when I hadn't used that account in so long?

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551

seems like that happens alot.  Wow needs to do something about hackers

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Same thing happened to me. Dropped the game, and a few months later my account was hacked. I ran mutliple checks for keyloggers/trojans/viruses, even had a local computer shop do a professional scan of my PC. They turned up nothing, as did I. I also have an email address I use specifically for WoW/Bnet, and nothing else, and don't click on any supposed Blizzard 'correspondance' which isn't sent there. Even then, I don't use any links provided in those emails even, I navigate to the site manually and log in. I also use a long, randomly generated password which gets changed quarterly. I also use noscript and adblock plus.

Even so, still got hacked. Somehow. Something fishy with that.

Sorry it happened to you man. Be prepared for *ahem* 'people' to post that it's still somehow magically YOUR fault.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Why would they go on some anti-account hacking crusade when they're selling authenticators on the Blizzard store?

• DestryrDestryr Member Posts: 43

I also have had similar problems. But also like many people who play WoW I will quit and come back at a later date. But to also do this I would have to call blizard for a hour or so... Becasue my account was hacked and later baned I would recieve the emails proving this. Many times I had to call while inactive. I for one can not stand this since it was my payment method in so who know who is doing what. I think I got hacked 7 or 8 times.

Originally posted by SuperXero89

Why would they go on some anti-account hacking crusade when they're selling authenticators on the Blizzard store?

I know they sell these authenticators, but as much as these people having trouble with hackers in their game, they should give you an authenticator as courtesy. Of course, they will try to capatilize on this... but w/e I don't even want to play wow again anyhow, just think it is kind of messed up that if I wanted to play I would have to go through some kind of process to get my account back, which probably involves hours spent waiting on hold over the phone.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Because, because, because, because, because

Because of the wonderful things he does.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Probalby not, but did you have the same user or password for anything else? forums?

Do people get hacked often even with the authenticator?

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Tokken

seems like that happens alot.  Wow needs to do something about hackers

blizzard will never do anything about hackers..they are too lazy and dont give a damn about their player base,all they are interested in is scamming has much money as possible out of people.well thats my dig for the day..i feel better now.

Originally posted by Palebane

Well, would be nice if I do finally get the account back and I have tons of gold and platinum that I didn't have before. That would be wonderful.

Somehow I doubt it tho....  I guess there are some people that are just too lazy to start their own account so they hack other peoples so they can go do instances, like they did with that one dudes account.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

stick with game that ask a second code on screen and you wont have issue!

• ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182

Sorry it happened to you.  I know after it happened to me I didn't want to play anymore.  It would be one thing if they just robbed me but actually playing my toon, made me feel kind of violated.  Now that I'm over it I wouldn't really care if they passed it all over China to farm herbalism.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by sungodra

Originally posted by Palebane

Well, would be nice if I do finally get the account back and I have tons of gold and platinum that I didn't have before. That would be wonderful.

Somehow I doubt it tho....  I guess there are some people that are just too lazy to start their own account so they hack other peoples so they can go do instances, like they did with that one dudes account.

"Platinum"?? WoW in game currancy is copper, silver and gold. ^^  I've played WoW since late beta. I have one of the first authenticators on my account.  In more than six plus years I've not had any problems.  But with the major money to be made, I'm not surprised that organized crime has become involved.  I seriously suspect that Blizzard should do some internal checking. Many of these things turn out to be inside jobs. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • HubbsHubbs Member Posts: 8

Do you use the same password as your wow account on any other site? I've heard the most common way accounts are hacked is by getting account info from third party sites like this one for example.

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830

Sorry for your bad luck OP.  When or if you get your account back, I'd reccomend that authenticator. I dont know anyone that has had there account stolen or altered that owns one of those. $6.50 for one of those devices is cheap compared to all those months you paid a subscription to play WoW so you can build up your character just to have it stolen.

I know I will do the same with SWTOR when they have it available. They already have it coming with the CE, but because of price I had to settle for the standard edition.

Also, beware of some the addons you can get for WoW. Some addons, from repetable sites, have in the past keylogger programs hidden in them. Then again, if you get the authenticator you wont be effected at least for that game. Other things may be compromised (Other game accounts, CC numbers on online purchases, Online bank user/passwords, etc.)

• FennrisFennris Member UncommonPosts: 277

I got hacked too shortly after Cata come out (while I wasn't actually playing) and I'm fairly security conscious.  Although I did blame my experience on a questionable add-on site that I sort-of remember visiting 3-4 months prior (I don't use many add-ons but used a couple and one of the sites I used was from the top of a google search list instead of curse) but I'm not even sure that was the issue.  At any rate, although blizzard has emailed me that they restored my lost stuff (without my telling them I was hacked), I haven't faxed them my credentials to restore my account... 

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Like others have said, primary causes that I've bumped into from friends:

• Using the same password elsewhere, even worse the same user/pw
    • Downloading dodgy 3rd party software/apps
    • Sharing the account info with someone you presume is trustworthy

If you avoided these things and you still got hacked I'd steer clear of the whole game.

• LydarSynnLydarSynn Member UncommonPosts: 181

Same story as everyone here. I played for a while, quit and then the account was hacked. I didn't care as I never intended to play again. I did not fall for all the old phishing tricks or visit WoW sites , and no trojans etc This is not  a new issue for this game. IMO, there are people inside Blizzard selling deactivated accounts.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

Here's what happened to me a few months back;

I had my authenticator removed as I sold my phone and did not make a note of the code - my account was without an authenticator for about 2 days - I was too lazy to attached a new authenticator and was fine for a day.

I tried to log in the next day and I was getting kicked out - eventualy got in and my toon was in a completely different place I had 500g more than I had before and my character spec was changed.  Clearly some one logged into my account with details hacked a while ago. 

I Attached my authenticator and I have been fine since.

Obviously someone had my details for a while and periodicly tested them and got lucky. How they got my details I cannot say but I wont take the stand as other have in saying that blizzard sell details or that I am 100% sure I have never been keylogged or other wise targeted by a WoW specific script.

WoW is the most popular MMO so I don't know why people get confused that their Eq2 account does not get hacked but their WoW does... there's more money in a wow account and much more opportunities.

Shite happens, thats life, there's no conspiracy and no user can completely resolve themselves of blame.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Anzie

{mod edit}

I had a long randomized password (meaning I did not have the same password anywhere else) which consisted mostly of special characters (used the same approach for the email tied to the account), I've got anti-virus software (and no viruses since I was a wee lad) and I've never ever fallen for any phishing scams, I don't share my account with anyone, I don't download dodgy third-party tools and I still got my account hacked. Twice. I've had no other accounts hacked.

But I guess it was just the result of me being stupid.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

If you now or ever have used Add-in's to WOW (and how many people don't?)  then that is likely the place you picked up the keylogger. 

Another issue is many people use the same user log in name and passwords for multiple games, so perhaps your ID info got jacked while logging into a different game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

same, i never had problems with any mmo, I don't know why this is so prevalent in wow. I'm not trying to bash the game or bash blizzard, but this just seems to happen to them all the time.

Well, if you're a hacker, profiting from stolen gold, do you go after one of the little games?

I imagine stolen gold for, say, UO isn't selling for much...or many interested buyers.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• EscargonEscargon Member Posts: 78

but somebody has hacked into my wow account and I don't appreciate it.

I haven't played this game in a while, I was told by my brother and his friends that somebody was running around on my toon, and they thought it was me but it wasn't.. This was months ago I didn't believe it, just yesterday or so I tried to log in after getting few messages , and the name on the account was changed aswell as the password and email.

I am not too pleased, I never went to any site and put in my info , so I know it was through no fault of my own. Not sure how this even happened really. How do these people get your info if you are too smart for the phish attempts, hell I don't even use that email that much , when I do I just log in and check things to make sure the email does not go inactive for too long.

I dont know, ive been in the "same" situation. I quit WoW for a year and the acc got banned because they thought i sold my account(?). Guess some random noob for lols got me banned for trying to sell my main and alts. Its not that hard anyway. What a pity.

I guess you got keylogged. ;)

Yawn