Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II: Age of Discovery Bringing BIG Changes

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by bumfman

Originally posted by just1opinion

Originally posted by alakram
    So you can't design your own dungeon? You pick up an already made one? What a let down :(

That's not how I understood it.  I understood you could ADD to already started dungeons (like a friend's dungeon) or you could make your own.  Where did you see that they are pre-made?  I didn't get that at ALL. Maybe I didn't read thoroughly enough?

I believe what alakram is refering to is the basic style of the dungeon, meaning the actual shape/style of it. Sounds like you can put things in it and choose a point A to Point B or what boss to fight etc. But it will be in a preset dungeon.

City of Heroes Architect did something verrrry similar to this and it had alot of positive and negative aspects about it. A positive was of course, the creativity involved in making your own story line. The negative (and it was a pretty big one) was people taking advantage and cheat lvling characters to max by finding niches in the game editor. Making multi spawning super easy mobs that gave outrageous Experience.

It's a very slippery slope but I hope they can pull it off.

MA killed COH for me. It was too exploitable and it was foreseeable. Glad to see more MUD features coming into mmropgs. IF swtor does LEGACY we will see some aspects of REMORTING from muds.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by alakram

So you can't design your own dungeon? You pick up an already made one? What a let down :(

That's not how I understood it.  I understood you could ADD to already started dungeons (like a friend's dungeon) or you could make your own.  Where did you see that they are pre-made?  I didn't get that at ALL. Maybe I didn't read thoroughly enough?

From the article:

"It will give you a map layout where you can create a dungeon in a “start at A, make it to B, kill the boss” and that's it.  You look at the lay out, pick your starting point, and your end point."

• ArcheAgeArcheAge Member Posts: 363

I played an EQ1 Val Shar Beastlord to max level once Luclin came out. Without Luclin the Beastlord for me just does not feel the same IMO. This Beastlord will be a sad effort compared to the EQ1 beastlord,he was simply amazing.

What about levitatation skill which EQ2 dose not have but my EQ1 beastlord had. I know it's a small skill but i loved it and i love it in Vanguard.

A beastlord with POS and Kie(enchanter mana buff) was a serious killer in EQ1 with no downtime. I just see this EQ2 beastlord as a sad comparison just like the dirge/bard in EQ2 is a pathetic comparison to an EQ1 bard.

Vanguard bard has more in common with an EQ1 bard and a Vanguard Shaman has more in common with an EQ1 beastlord IMO.

Will my pet grow as i grow in level,meaning does it start off as a kitten/pup ?

I really hope it does not feel like a WOW hunter and all pet classes since then other than the Vanguard Shaman.

Time will tell i guess.

• GweniviereGweniviere Member Posts: 30

I may come back simply to play a Beastlord. I still can't understand why it was never included in the first place.

UO-EQ-L2-EQ2-VG-WoW-DDO-GW-AoC-LoTR-WAR-Aion
    Currently playing: Rift
    Waiting for: EQN

• Nhoj1983Nhoj1983 Member UncommonPosts: 185

Speaking as a new player to the game to all those who are saying it's "too late" I disagree.  Get a live account and play till at least 30.  The game offers a lot that no other game has even now.  You might be surprised.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Uhm so they are using a World of Warcraft beastmaster hunter pet system (or am i wrong, can they tame?) a DDO AI Hireling system and a STO Foundary system for their next update. did i miss anything?

• ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158

Love or hate Sony, you have to admire their commitment to adding new content to EQ2, and trying to find ways to keep in fresh.

It's always had the most variety to do in a MMO that I've played.  I for one am glad to see the new changes, and yeah to updating Freeport/Qeynos those are really needed.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Originally posted by WhySoShort

No EQ2, you will not suck me back in!

Ok, maybe you will.

Siiigh....

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Anyone realise in the title blurp of the article, it was typo 'Age of Destiny'

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• LyrinaLyrina Member UncommonPosts: 51

How about fixing first MultiCore-Support and some other Stuff, before adding more and more and more...

• XexvXexv Member Posts: 308

Thanks for the informative look at the upcoming expansion. Just a brief suggestion in future could you include an actual bullet pointed list of expansion features in the article. I don't follow EQ2 closely but do carry a station access account so it's nice to be able to see at a glance if it's worth taking extra attention.

Anyway this is what I googled courtesy of giantbomb.com:

• The Beastlord class is being added as the 25th class.
    • Mercenaries (NPC party members)
    • Player-created dungeons
    • Tradeskill apprentices (NPC tradeskillers)
    • Increased AA cap
    • New 'reforging' system to allow players to change stats on items
    • Rebuilding of Freeport into a single zone, adding new quests across the entire level range
    • A new public quest in the Commonlands
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

DYOD sounds like it could be very cool if done properly, but overall this sounds like a very thin "expansion" pack.  A new class, AI npcs, reforging and some minor things. 

Hearing Smokejumper talk about the focus to make everything collectable is a bit worrisome as that seems to fit into a cash shop design, which is something Smokejumper has an extensive background with. 

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by itgrowls

Uhm so they are using a World of Warcraft beastmaster hunter pet system (or am i wrong, can they tame?) a DDO AI Hireling system and a STO Foundary system for their next update. did i miss anything?

Actually, i am pretty sure EQ1 had the merc system in place before DDO did, I havent taken time to investigate my claim but thats what i recall from memory. At any rate it makes a social game more soloable good or bad.. thats what the merc system does IMO.

Work hard Play Harder

• bumfmanbumfman Member Posts: 276

Originally posted by Ziboo

Love or hate Sony, you have to admire their commitment to adding new content to EQ2, and trying to find ways to keep in fresh.

It's always had the most variety to do in a MMO that I've played.  I for one am glad to see the new changes, and yeah to updating Freeport/Qeynos those are really needed.

Admire them for commitment to adding new content? .. sure. Adding new content and making me pay a premium price every 3 months... .. .. not so much :)

I did not care for the Updated version of Freeport in EQ, They made dead ends and rediculous maze like corodors just to get to a flipping forge to make stuff, walls seperating the vendors and the places you needed to make things ( looms, forges,ovens etc.)

The Freeport update will be cool for EQ2 if they dont make the above mentioned problems.

Work hard Play Harder

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Quit playing the free to play version.  The regular game is far better.  Why waste your time?  Just my opinion.  Doesn't matter if beastlord is store purchased. It's not like it's a NEED.  Plus....we don't KNOW that, you're just assuming.

Your answers are non-starters.  I do have a live account, hence my complaint that the extended and live servers are separated.

It does matter if Beastlord is a purchased class and your "need" argument is another red herring.  I don't need to play their game, populate their servers, or fund them either.  This isn't about need.  This is about delivering fun entertainment for a value that people are willing to pay.  If they can't do that they will continue to bleed players down to a core fanbase.  That's bad for a game from a dev/publisher perspective.  Look at other SoE games that have gone into that mode: Matrix, SWG, Vanguard, etc.  They get no attention at some point.

You're right, I'm just speculating.  I'm speculating based on history and how SoE performs.  There is a basis for those questions based on decisions made by SoE.  The cash shop is more a part of the game now than ever before.  Notice I didn't make a claim that everything will be store purchased.  I asked a question because, well, they are reasonable questions to ask.

Asking critical questions is a good thing.

You kinda contradict yourself here. You say that the game is about delivering fun entertainment for a value that people are willing to pay; yet you don't want to pay for the beastlord class. Why shouldn't the company be compensated for their work? Whether it's an expansion or a store purchase, they need to charge, or the game cannot exist. I have been more the happy to pay for exspansions for the ridiculous amount of content they provide compared to other games on the market. I don't mind paying for someone's hard work. If you don't think it's worth the money, then just don't play. There are plentry of people who are dedicated to the game and the great work that the team has done. 

You really can't compare Eq2 to the other games you have mentioned here. Everquest 2 started in November of 2004 and is still thriving with 16 servers, most of which have very good population. All of the games you mentioned came out after eq2, failed and are now either dead or on life support. You say that the game will "bleed players down to a core fanbase". You do realize the game is 7 years old. If it was going to tank, it would have been long ago. If it was going to "bleed players", it would be in the same condition as the others you mentioned. In terms of pure content, this game is completely unmatched on the markart. In terms of expansions, it's topped only by it's predessesor. You can say it will bleed players, but guess what? Not happening. 

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

This is actually really good stuff.  I didn't think I'd return to EQ2...but if they pull this stuff off it could be a really fun addition to the game.  +1 to SOE for me.

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

• victorv1968victorv1968 Member Posts: 24

I am looking forward to the expansion actually I am pretty excited.  for those complaining about another expansion and milking money.  Look at it as a new player I just buy the latest expansion I get all the content...in Wow you have to buy Wow, and the other expansions to play cataclysm. So to get started in WOW it now costs you 9.99 for WOW, BC will cost you 19.99 still, wotlk is still 39.99 and then you have to buy cataclysm another 39.99. so all told just to have all content in wow it will cost you 109.96 plus tax. to get all the content in everquest 2 you need to buy DOV for 39.99, you might even be able to find it for 29.99 now. pretty good deal for a new player.

Now look at it as a Gamer. I use to spend 29.00-100.00 a month on computer/console games burn through the game and move on to the next one. now I spend 20.00 a month for the sub price I get eq1&2, vanguard, POTBS and for a bit longer SWG. and then I pay 69.99 for the collectors edition 1 time a year....I am saving a ton of money.

Personally I like that the next expansion is going to be adding new features and redoing an old zone. and finally adding the Beastlord class.  I like that you can get more then one warder and you have to level them up.  The new tradeskill apprentice sounds very interesting, I like the Mercenaries it will help just fill that spot...it isn't like a group of 1 can get 5 mercs no you are limited to 1 active merc per PC toon in the group.  DYOD sounds awesome can't wait to delve into that.

ALOT to look forward to.

• elihupelihup Member Posts: 102

Awesome!  I've been pushing for beastlords for a long time and everyone always said it would never happen.  These sound like some great additions to the game that will likely draw me back in to give it one more shot.  I definitely see myself playing a beastlord and collecting items to build an awesome dungeon.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by victorv1968

I am looking forward to the expansion actually I am pretty excited.  for those complaining about another expansion and milking money.  Look at it as a new player I just buy the latest expansion I get all the content...in Wow you have to buy Wow, and the other expansions to play cataclysm. So to get started in WOW it now costs you 9.99 for WOW, BC will cost you 19.99 still, wotlk is still 39.99 and then you have to buy cataclysm another 39.99. so all told just to have all content in wow it will cost you 109.96 plus tax. to get all the content in everquest 2 you need to buy DOV for 39.99, you might even be able to find it for 29.99 now. pretty good deal for a new player.

Now look at it as a Gamer. I use to spend 29.00-100.00 a month on computer/console games burn through the game and move on to the next one. now I spend 20.00 a month for the sub price I get eq1&2, vanguard, POTBS and for a bit longer SWG. and then I pay 69.99 for the collectors edition 1 time a year....I am saving a ton of money.

Personally I like that the next expansion is going to be adding new features and redoing an old zone. and finally adding the Beastlord class.  I like that you can get more then one warder and you have to level them up.  The new tradeskill apprentice sounds very interesting, I like the Mercenaries it will help just fill that spot...it isn't like a group of 1 can get 5 mercs no you are limited to 1 active merc per PC toon in the group.  DYOD sounds awesome can't wait to delve into that.

ALOT to look forward to.

Great point! I forgot to mention that. I have been playing on and off for 7 years. As a casual player, I'm typically not not through with one expansion before the next one hits, so I wait a month or two into the expack before buying. By then, the price has moved from 39.99 to 29.99. I have also skipped a few and you get them all when you buy the latest and greatest. No other game I know of does that. Pretty generous of a company obsessed with money. 

• Osias000Osias000 Member Posts: 110

I still love the time I spent playing EQ2 back in the day. It is still a great game. I wish I could get some of my regular gamer buddies to give it a shot, but they all are so close minded.

"cinnamon buns"
    - Pickles

• victorv1968victorv1968 Member Posts: 24

Unlike the Vampire race which wasn't part of the DOV expansion pack, the Beastlord is part of the AOD expansion pack so it may be a purchasable class if you choose not to buy the expansion but it will come with the expansion.. 

• TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    Well I can see what will happen with the design ya own dungeons thing, people will make a dungeon, or group of them that will get you from 1 to max level and you'll never see anyone in any actual game dungeons ever again unless people -really- wanted to try raiding them for fun. And as for the features they're adding, this is mostly "bleh" to me as many games have those features and they took forever to add beast master, which will no duobt be another buy to play class for EQ2X players.

imageimage

• plescureplescure Member UncommonPosts: 397

im itching to re-sub. come on november!

If someone is talking in general chat in a language you dont understand, chances are they're not talking to you. So chill out and stop bitching about it!

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

I'm not a fan of players creating certain content for MMO's. It's not that I think players shouldn't have some creative input for the world, I just don't think creating missions, quests, or dungeons is a good way to go about doing that. The reason being, in what I've experienced with games like Ryzom and CoH, is that there's a serious content bloat, and the quality level of crappy player made content usually makes the game look worse than it really is when playing the original developer created content. The tools usually aren't dynamic enough to provide players the same abilities to create content that matches what shipped with the game.

And I would agree with other people who have mentioned that EQ II looks pretty horrid, it's one of the major reasons I don't enjoy it, or most of the SOE products. There's just something about the engines they use that feel cumbersome or amateur, and I know that speaking specifically of Vanguard, the Crisco sheen that comes with the Unreal engine is extremely dated and ugly. I'd consider giving EQ II a try if they updated their character modeling (the stock models, I'm not downloading models that are only visible to the small percentage of people who use them).

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• MaldrekMaldrek Member UncommonPosts: 14

Alot of people did not read up on the dungeon creator and how it works please do some research  before you comment.