Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disciple of the Land

BainrowBainrow Member UncommonPosts: 29

If I was to choose DOL as a class (because I liked fishing in FFXI) will I be squishy if I equip a weapon and engage some combat.  Can DOL join the new Companies just as a fighting class can?

Comments

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I believe the moment you equip a weapon you switch to the DoW class assosciated with it. Your fighting abilities would depend on your level in that class at that point.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

i haven't played since the last 2 patches, but there is a setting or 'stance' change you have to do i think its 'active', *then* you equip the weapon and can engage the enemy. its one of the things they really needed to file13. as the previous poster thought, that's how it should have been. simply switch out items. instead its change state, equip item, then go to it.

but ya you should be able, technically, to pick up any of the classes and switch between them freely for different activities. there might even be a macro for changing 'states'.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

Originally posted by Wolfenpride

I believe the moment you equip a weapon you switch to the DoW class assosciated with it. Your fighting abilities would depend on your level in that class at that point.

What he said.You are not stuck to one "class" per character you may play them all freely.

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• MuruganMurugan Member Posts: 1,494

Originally posted by Bainrow

If I was to choose DOL as a class (because I liked fishing in FFXI) will I be squishy if I equip a weapon and engage some combat.  Can DOL join the new Companies just as a fighting class can?

The only thing your starting "class" determines is your starting gear.  These gear have no bonuses (like to gathering, crafting, STR/DEX/VIT/PIE/INT/MND, attack, accuracy etc.), so that being said start as a fighting class that you either like the look of its gear, or just default with Gladiator for the higher defense on your lvl1 gear.

It's a minor detail, once you are in the world you can buy any starter weapon:

Here is a list of all their locations

and begin playing.  As you level you will allocate attributes as you want, but attributes are being redone in the next patch along with the removal of the physical level system.  After that it will matter even less what you "main" when playing other classes since all your stats will change per class.

• NixishNixish Member UncommonPosts: 185

Originally posted by Murugan

The only thing your starting "class" determines is your starting gear.  These gear have no bonuses (like to gathering, crafting, STR/DEX/VIT/PIE/INT/MND, attack, accuracy etc.), so that being said start as a fighting class that you either like the look of its gear, or just default with Gladiator for the higher defense on your lvl1 gear.

It's a minor detail, once you are in the world you can buy any starter weapon:

Here is a list of all their locations

and begin playing.  As you level you will allocate attributes as you want, but attributes are being redone in the next patch along with the removal of the physical level system.  After that it will matter even less what you "main" when playing other classes since all your stats will change per class.

I am becoming more excited about the game the more I see how well the developers are communicating with the players. Believe me, as an old FFXI player, FFXIV was the biggest let-down of my mmo career. I felt betrayed by SE for some reason I cannot explain.

Very pleased with the new direction though!

• BainrowBainrow Member UncommonPosts: 29

So  when I create a new character, the base stats of DOL,DOH,DOM,DOW are all the same? If i am a DOL with a fishing rod equipped and I switch it out to say "bronze knuckles" would that mean I am no longer DOL but have changed to DOW?  Or am I still DOL with the only difference I am now able to fight. I think what I'm asking is if you stand a rank 10 DOW next to a rank DOL with identical weapon and gear would they be equal in stats?  Thanks for the helpful answers. I think I'm getting a better understanding.

• Killswitch34Killswitch34 Member Posts: 87

So  when I create a new character, the base stats of DOL,DOH,DOM,DOW are all the same? If i am a DOL with a fishing rod equipped and I switch it out to say "bronze knuckles" would that mean I am no longer DOL but have changed to DOW?  Or am I still DOL with the only difference I am now able to fight. I think what I'm asking is if you stand a rank 10 DOW next to a rank DOL with identical weapon and gear would they be equal in stats?  Thanks for the helpful answers. I think I'm getting a better understanding.

You pick and choose your own stats, you have 2 different kind of levels. Your class rank and your physical level. Your class rank is your fishing/lancer etc. While your physical level is your stats. The higher your physical the more stats you have, and you choose what stat to put it in. For example, when you hit level 2, you get 6 stat points. You can put those into whatever stat you want, you could go all strength or all dec, or split between your stats. Your stats do not go up passively, how you build your character is up to you :) Your class rank is different for each weapon. When you switch weapons you will switch from DoW to DoL to DoH.

edited for more info

Karasu Linkshell for Final fantasy 14 now accepting all members! Just head on over to karasuls.shivtr.com and apply now! Linkshell info is on the site. :)

• JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120

Whatever is equipped in your main hand will determine your class.  DOL, DOH, DOM, DOW are just group names for the different classes.

Stats were based on your Physical Level (Been months, but I think still the same).  Also, the stat points are assigned by you as you wish.  However, they are capped and reduced down if your Class level is much lower than your Physical Level.

• BainrowBainrow Member UncommonPosts: 29

Thanks