Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Flag Burning Ban.....

DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Personally I am against it. Just another scratch of freedom taken away if it passes.

Comments

• teamrebornteamreborn Member Posts: 4

While I don't believe that any American citizen should burn the flag, I don't think there should be a ban against it. That is a freedom that we have, and right or wrong, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone (i.e. throwing the burning flag on your neighbor) then it should be left alone.

If you're offenended by someone burning their flag then don't watch. That's what eyelids are for.

Kinda like that episode of Futurama where Zoidberg eats the flag... Or something.

• AlcananAlcanan Member UncommonPosts: 268

Well to be honest I really don't care either way. Reasons:

1: I'm not a US citizen so what you do to the US flag really doesn't interest me image

2: From a personal freedom point of view Why not. As long as your burning it in a non hazardous way which will not harm other perople physically do what ya got to do. But if you are doing it in a public place you may need a permit to have a fire LOL.

3: Looking at this topic from a Nationalist point of view I can see why people are against it. By burning the symbol of your country in hatred or disrespect you are sending a powerful message to others. As a citizen of said country doing this may make others wonder why you are living a place you hate so much. If you don't agree with the government in power find a constructive way to show your frustrations. Or if your rich run for office LOL.

Just my rambling opinions,

Alcanan

"The True North Strong and Free"
    "Faith Manages"

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

It is just a symbol. From different perspectives, it could either mean nationalism or well, a piece of cloth. Would you burn a swastika if you had the chance? Would you burn a French flag? I know some of you would. Don't be hypocrites.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I think it goes this bill goes before Congress each year. The House, not suprisingly, passes it, while the Senate does not.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• PhrequencyPhrequency Member Posts: 314

you people really dont know jack do you?

ok well, im against the american flag being burnt in other countries, yes

but they PROPER way to "bury" or put a an american flag to rest is you burn it, not on a damn stick like those --- ------- ------------- do.

but yes the proper way to get rid of an american flag is burn it

these are things you dont do with our american flag:

never let it touch the ground

never store it without folding it properly

and never pin it up, always hang it on a pole or a stick (classrooms across the nation)

god im 15 yers old and i know the proper American Flag etiqutte c'mon now

Main character in Pure Pwnage, Jeremy as himself and Teh Pwnerer...

Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File
    http://www.OriginNow.com
  • SerienSerien Member CommonPosts: 8,460

Originally posted by dekron

Personally I am against it. Just another scratch of freedom taken away if it passes.

The flag represents our country, and by burning it people are degrading the country. Take liberals during the election, they burned thousands of flags, one right near my home (and they got a hell of a large piece of my mind in the process...)

but really in all honesty, it's not a "scratch of freedom" taken away; it's a move to protect the country from anti-american people out there trying to destroy the government. I am 100% for it.

Originally posted by Serien
    The flag represents our country, and by burning it people are degrading the country. Take liberals during the election, they burned thousands of flags, one right near my home (and they got a hell of a large piece of my mind in the process...)
    but really in all honesty, it's not a "scratch of freedom" taken away; it's a move to protect the country from anti-american people out there trying to destroy the government. I am 100% for it.

Uh, Murt, that is your opinion. Burning your country's flag does not mean that the intent is to destroy the government...nor is it always terrorism.

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

It's just a piece of cloth.... The economy or the government isn't going to go out the window if somebody burns a flag.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

Originally posted by rathma

It's just a piece of cloth.... The economy or the government isn't going to go out the window if somebody burns a flag.

yes, but you're missing the point. The centralized idea in the mind's of regular American citizens does go out the window.
  • PhrequencyPhrequency Member Posts: 314

here go here

http://post369.columbus.oh.us/scouting.d/flag.d/flag.retire.html

thats the proper flag retirement

Main character in Pure Pwnage, Jeremy as himself and Teh Pwnerer...

Free File Hosting at Origin Now - 100 Megabyte Max Upload Per File
    http://www.OriginNow.com

Let me break it down. Not only for Murt, but for everyone.

In a political party who shall remain nameless's eyes, you can compensate for a freedom that you penalized by naming X things wrong with an equal or greater public issue. This practice does not get anything done besides causing distress among those people who understand the situation of the actual rule. If anything, it brings hypocrites into the country. There is a difference between those who do not understand [due to the fact that the government has not been lying, but hiding the rights from the all-seeing eye of the public] and the hypocrite. What the taking away of the common laws does to people is scare them. It scares them so much that they don't even know that they are scared. So scared in fact, that they admend their own opinions around the rights that have been taken away. It is so ironic how people hide from their government's troubles and the fact that the government is not fair by making up false assumptions that compensate for the lost rights.

Fact: Flags are burned everyday in the US for many reasons. Most of them political.

Bill:Ban flag burning

Opinion:I don't think it is right to take away to Freedom of Speech.

Opinion:Flags are burned everyday and it is obvious that the intent of this drastic sign of terrorism scares millions of people. Normal people don't burn flags!

Opinion:There is no other reason for burning flags than terrorism. It tears the country apart.

Fact:What is fact? Has the country's opinion in fact, become its own opinion? Also, how can your government take away your rights from you so easily? Have you come to accept the unannounced change as a hypocrite or as a lost citizen of this country? Does your Government really have that great of a hold on you?

• ThoomThoom Member Posts: 436

Flag Burning.......... You know at first I didn't think much of it, just a bunch of people disgruntled, but when I see on MSN almost daily soldiers dying for this country <right or wrong> it just smacks to much of disrespect for the people who died so I can live free.

If those people have that much of a gripe they need to be that disrespectful, move out of this country, don't let the border hit your ass on the way out. You take this country with the good and the bad, deal with it.

Originally posted by Kiamde

Let me break it down. Not only for Murt, but for everyone.

In a political party who shall remain nameless's eyes, you can compensate for a freedom that you penalized by naming X things wrong with an equal or greater public issue. This practice does not get anything done besides causing distress among those people who understand the situation of the actual rule. If anything, it brings hypocrites into the country. There is a difference between those who do not understand [due to the fact that the government has not been lying, but hiding the rights from the all-seeing eye of the public] and the hypocrite. What the taking away of the common laws does to people is scare them. It scares them so much that they don't even know that they are scared. So scared in fact, that they admend their own opinions around the rights that have been taken away. It is so ironic how people hide from their government's troubles and the fact that the government is not fair by making up false assumptions that compensate for the lost rights.

Fact: Flags are burned everyday in the US for many reasons. Most of them political.
    Bill:Ban flag burning
    Opinion:I don't think it is right to take away to Freedom of Speech.
    Opinion:Flags are burned everyday and it is obvious that the intent of this drastic sign of terrorism scares millions of people. Normal people don't burn flags!
    Opinion:There is no other reason for burning flags than terrorism. It tears the country apart.
    Fact:What is fact? Has the country's opinion in fact, become its own opinion? Also, how can your government take away your rights from you so easily? Have you come to accept the unannounced change as a hypocrite or as a lost citizen of this country? Does your Government really have that great of a hold on you?

you forgot my opinion in there

The idea of a flag represents the country, the idea of people burning the flag are burning the stand of the country in the eyes of the citizens. To see something that represents something so great be destroyed destroys the the intent in citizens to make it better, and causes a disrespect for the country, because it can be mistreated.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786

If symbolism is what makes this so drastic then why isn't it illegal to burn a map of America? Or even just a piece of paper that has the American flag printed on it? It's the same thing.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server

If symbolism is what makes this so drastic then why isn't it illegal to burn a map of America? Or even just a piece of paper that has the American flag printed on it? It's the same thing.

do we pledge allegiance to a map of America? Do we pledge to paper? No.

When we pledge allegiance we have something that represents America to go through. That symbol is a flag *gasp*!

• smiley123smiley123 Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Why do people care about this law so much i mean there's a law in new york city that you can't have a ice cream sandwich in your back pocket. I do think it's wrong to disrespect the flag because the flag repents honor duty and loyalty to our arm forces. By burning the flag you are disrespecting our vets and current arm force members. Would you like it if i came to your house and pee on it just because i have the right to do it nooooo. By losing this right which is voted on, which means that the person you voted passed it most likely. Only Good come from laws such as this, you don't see many people burning the flag for good reasons.
  • SoIarSoIar Member Posts: 7
    I understand that it is disrespectful. I understand that it is degrading. I understand that the paranoid neighbors will think you are a terrorist. I don't understand why it has to be banned. The whole argument is that the flag symbolizes everything that was done to make America what it is today. But if this argument is only about the symbolism of the flag then I say the ban would also be symbolic of the government's ability to take away a right without a second thought. Burn the flag if you want, I don't care. Why should others?
  • FunseikiFunseiki Member UncommonPosts: 263

wait, arent u supposed to burn the flag if it gets torn up or something. I remember hearing in my boy scout days that you should ceremoniously burning the flag if it gets damaged.

Could be wrong tho..

• Zerocool032Zerocool032 Member Posts: 729

Yeah why dont you just burn our freedom. Damn anarchists

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Originally posted by Phrequency
    you people really dont know jack do you?ok well, im against the american flag being burnt in other countries, yes
    but they PROPER way to "bury" or put a an american flag to rest is you burn it, not on a damn stick like those --- ------- ------------- do.but yes the proper way to get rid of an american flag is burn itthese are things you dont do with our american flag:never let it touch the groundnever store it without folding it properlyand never pin it up, always hang it on a pole or a stick (classrooms across the nation)god im 15 yers old and i know the proper American Flag etiqutte c'mon now

I find this whole post humourous. The ban is for burning the flag in protest, etc. Honestly I would use it for toilet paper myself, but then again I wouldn't want to waste my money on a crappy US flag anyways.

Originally posted by Phrequency
    you people really dont know jack do you?

ok well, im against the american flag being burnt in other countries, yes

but they PROPER way to "bury" or put a an american flag to rest is you burn it, not on a damn stick like those --- ------- ------------- do.
    and never pin it up, always hang it on a pole or a stick (classrooms across the nation)
    god im 15 yers old and i know the proper American Flag etiqutte c'mon now

I find this whole post humourous. The ban is for burning the flag in protest, etc. Honestly I would use it for toilet paper myself, but then again I wouldn't want to waste my money on a crappy US flag anyways.

so basically you'd wipe your ass on the faces of veterans?

betchya would'nt say that in an American Legion office image

do we pledge allegiance to a map of America? Do we pledge to paper? No.
    When we pledge allegiance we have something that represents America to go through. That symbol is a flag *gasp*!

However, you don't take into account for people who do not pledge to the flag, like myself. I always stay sitting down and do not recite the lame ass pledge.

Originally posted by dekron Originally posted by Phrequencyyou people really dont know jack do you?ok well, im against the american flag being burnt in other countries, yes
    god im 15 yers old and i know the proper American Flag etiqutte c'mon nowI find this whole post humourous. The ban is for burning the flag in protest, etc. Honestly I would use it for toilet paper myself, but then again I wouldn't want to waste my money on a crappy US flag anyways.
    betchya would'nt say that in an American Legion office image

Sure I would, i'd even give it to them for a souvenir. ::::28::

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I sincerely hope that you're either not an American or that you're just some kid too young to appreciate your country.

If not, you should really reconsider where you reside. Even if you don't agree with the current administration, in the least you should respect those who have fought and continue to fight for your freedoms.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• burningattaburningatta Member Posts: 194

OH MY GOD i havent laughed that hard in days. THANK YOU

remember, a very wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn

This discussion has been closed.