Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So Ive been playing Rift this month. Couple comments and a question.

FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

This game is a lot of fun. The Rifts are interesting and well designed. I like the AI in this game (regarding pathing and aggro range). The graphics are really nice, the artstyle is unique and the animations are fluid. Instanced Pvp is always a nice addition to any mmo (for me at least) and Rift has some nice maps. The soul system is a lot of fun and customizing your character's playstyle is a welcome feature. Im currently playing a pvp/dot/healer build and its pretty cool. I havent done any dungeons or raids and I dont really plan to.

I enjoy running around exploring areas and scouting out rifts while queued up for a warfront. I'll roleplay it up when I join a raidgroup and have a few laughs. Thats a pretty well rounded gaming experience for me. I can see myself playing this game off and on for a while.

I have a question though. Ive only been through a few of the starting areas and they are all purple. The sky is purple, a bunch of mobs are purple, everything seems to be tinted purple. Does this change or is it a theme I will see throughout the whole world?

Comments

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378

Purple is a death rift/invasion related colour. Due to the present world event the gloomy atmosphere is more present everywhere, but that will end when the event ends. Problem is that this events drags along a bit too long. So, for someone just starting Rift all zones look alike. Not purple though.

It takes one to know one.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Glad to see your having fun but unfortionately I think the fun will wear off sooner then you think. Coming from a casual gamer like myself, RIFT really is nothing new. At times I feel as if I'm playing WoW as over again in a different setting. WFs are pretty much exact duplicates. I havent made it to end-game yet but I can pretty much predict exactly what it will be like. I subed to RIFT for open world pvp but it was a big let-down for me unfortionately.

For myself I played WoW for about 2-3 years off and on so I have no interest in wasting my gaming time playing an MMO thats feels just like it. I want to play something new, exciting, and unique and for me RIFT isnt it. I had my doubts about buying it but I went ahead and did it anyway. Shame on me for giving into the hype lol

After about a month of RIFT I've decided to cancel and sub to Vanguard. I'll never look back tbh. Vanguard is the gem that I've been searching for. It doesn't have pvp unfortionately but I've come to realize over time that pvp will never be balanced in any MMO. Which is turn is starting to turn me off of pvp completly as I get older. I've better things to do with my time then deal with OP pvp builds and kiddies living out of their basement owning me in pvp because they play 8 hours a day. 

Adios basement dwellers! I've turned carebear and damn proud of it :-D

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Ethian

Glad to see your having fun but unfortionately I think the fun will wear off sooner then you think. Coming from a casual gamer like myself, RIFT really is nothing new. At times I feel as if I'm playing WoW as over again in a different setting. WFs are pretty much exact duplicates. I havent made it to end-game yet but I can pretty much predict exactly what it will be like. I subed to RIFT for open world pvp but it was a big let-down for me unfortionately.

For myself I played WoW for about 2-3 years off and on so I have no interest in wasting my gaming time playing an MMO thats feels just like it. I want to play something new, exciting, and unique and for me RIFT isnt it. I had my doubts about gaming it but I went ahead and did it anyway. I won't be wasting my money on knock off MMOs anymore.

After about a month of RIFT I decided to cancel and sub to Vanguard. I'll never look back tbh. Vanguard is the gem that I've been searching for. It doesn't have pvp unfortionately but I've come to realize over time that pvp will never be balanced in any MMO. Which is turn is starting to turn me off of pvp completly as I get older. I've better things to do with my time then deal with OP pvp builds and kiddies living out of their basement owning me in pvp because they play 8 hours a day. ;p

Vanguard has its positives but with a playerbase the size of a college class room, zero development, and the likely hood of being shut off in the near future it just isn't a good bet at this time. Also why on earth would you play rift for pvp. I mean its pvp isn't any more unbalanced than anything else out there but its a PVE game through and through just like WoW, EQ, EQ2, LOTRO.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Ya agreed. I've come to realize that pvp in MMOs will always be a let-down. About the only two worth the time imo is DFO and GW1 right now and even those have major flaws and OP builds.

If I'm going to play a game for PVE Vanguard is hands down the best of them all right now. The population won't get better unless people re-sub and give it a chance. I hate to break it to you but you sir are part of the reason why the population is slow. People need to get over their egos and look past the bad launch and Sonys past mistakes. Vanguard is an epic adventure like no other that shouldn't be missed. 

PS. Two updates to Vanguard are coming this year. Tell your friends :-D

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Astraeis

Purple is a death rift/invasion related colour. Due to the present world event the gloomy atmosphere is more present everywhere, but that will end when the event ends. Problem is that this events drags along a bit too long. So, for someone just starting Rift all zones look alike. Not purple though.

Yeah, the event does get a little overdone at times. Still, once you get out of the starter areas there is a lot more color starting in the 30s.  Still, the pve and pvp in Rift has been fun. You just need to play well. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Thanks for the feedback. As far as the WoW clone references, I can see that. But I dont approach mmos the same way the average casual player does. I like to see what I can bring to an mmo. My character and story with some play on setting. I find that when I do this, every mmo is a new experience because my character is always new. Thats how I played wow for so long. Every time I got bored, I started a new chapter with my character. I guess thats the die hard roleplayer in me. Some may scoff at that but at least Im getting my money's worth :)

• DaringDaring Member UncommonPosts: 138

that is an awsome out look Foom.  Dont let these negative people get you down. If you are enjoying the game, more power to you!

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Daring

that is an awsome out look Foom.  Dont let these negative people get you down. If you are enjoying the game, more power to you!

Yeah great thought, having fun is what gaming is all about. Rift is still fun for me so I continue to play the game.

• MatriarcheXMatriarcheX Member Posts: 159

Similar to WoW but yet not, still fun though! :D