Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an MMORPG WITHOUT boring combat and tights!

KrelianKrelian Member UncommonPosts: 385

Greetings and salutations!

Im looking for an MMORPG that has a more ''engaging'' or action oriented combat system than just ''point and click with the occosional hotbar button''.

Kind of like......I actually wanna swing my sword instead of just standing by and watching my character swing his sword on his own while I'm just waiting to press the same hotbar button for the 10000th time somewhere down the line.

ALSO, im looking for an mmo where the armor is not just a re-texture on player character skin, but actually ''juts out'' like a real armor would. Ok, maybe that wasn't the best explanation ever, so ill try to explain it better.

Take WOW, for example. BASICALLY all the armor in the game looks the same, EXCEPT they are painted differently! Only the (extremly exeggerated)  shoulderpads and helmets actually look like ''pieces of armor''.(eh..) Everything else is just different textures, applied DIRECTLY on your character's skin.

Example of games that use the ''tights'' armor;

WOW, LOTRO(has some exceptionally cool looking armor, but tis basically they same skinjob)

Example of games that actually have more ''armor'' looking armor;

Warhammer Online(At least beats wow armor), Global Agenda etc etc.

(OPS, think about a singleplayer game; Mount&Blade, NOW don your plate armor in M&B, take a screenshot, AND THAN switch to World of Warcarft, and put your plate armor on your human, or elf or whatever, take a another screenshot, and compare the two; you WILL SEE what I mean:D). Sure, comparing the two games is like comparing apples to oranges, BUT hopefully it will help to make you understad what i mean a little more.

The two suggestions i can think of on my own are;

1-Global Agenda (Allready Played)

2-Vindictus (NOT freaking available in EU yet :( ........)

Thank you in advance for all your suggestions!

Comments

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I understand the point about painted on armor. I don't like that much either.

Have you tried AoC? The armor there is definitely not painted on. You might like the combat, well melee combat anyway, since it's a bit different than a typical mmo.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Spiral Knights fits your description.  It's debatable whether it's an MMORPG, but so are the other games you list, so that doesn't seem to bother you.

I don't think the game actually has any underlying player skins.  It just draws the armor.

http://wiki.spiralknights.com/List_of_sets

• sidhaethesidhaethe Member Posts: 861

It's not out yet (and might not even be out this year), but have you looked into Guild Wars 2 at all? It features active combat with dodging and blocking (not based on dice rolls), despite still maintaining a skill bar. Having played both a demo of GW2 and several months of Vindictus, I can tell you they have a similar feel when it comes to dodging attacks and interacting with the environment, the only difference is that your right and left mouse buttons aren't your attack skills in GW2.

There's also a wide variety of armor type, but some of these heavy armors look like, well, ARMOR:

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Heavy_armor_render.jpg

Like I said, though, it's not out yet, but it will be released in EU when it comes out.

• MetsisMetsis Member Posts: 66

I don't know about the armor skins, but DDO at least has a more engaging combat, you have move and swing your weapons and use hotbar buttons in it.

DDO also has a large scale of armors for you to choose from with different abilities... It is not your classical MMO though and is heavily instanced, but the quests aren't your typical fed-ex or kill x amount of these.

• sofearsofear Member Posts: 20

age of conan all the way

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by sofear

age of conan all the way

This ^

It seems to fit what the OP is asking for perfectly. The armor in the game looks great and is certainly not painted on and the combat is one of the most involving out of all MMO's.

• MortoriousMortorious Member UncommonPosts: 166

Age of Conan and Aion 

Currently playing: Elder Scrolls Online
    MMORPG experiences:EQ2, AoC(pre f2p), Lotro,GW1,DDO, Aion,WoW( stop with wotlk),Allods, GW2
    Eu,War, Secret World

Waiting On: WoD Sometime Maybe: Elder Scrolls MMO, Might and Magic

• spookymiaspookymia Member UncommonPosts: 57

Well apparently you can play Vindictus in Europe using a proxy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh0ClbURkIU

As far as an MMO which doesn't feel like point and click you could try APB: Reloaded. I know it's not fantasy but it has definitely got a different combat style to most MMOs. It also is quite difficult  so has a learning curve if you are looking for something more challenging.

aion is a grind.

age of conan (alternate advancement system) is a grind

but playing the game and having max level or gearing. raiding. pvping. openworld dungeons. 

nudity. fatalities. combo's. directional melee attacks. 

casters obviously. cast bar stuff. but yeh. the lore. the theme of this game. is 100%

the music/sound is better than any mmo . 

the 1st 20 levels if you have never (done it 16x) like some, the 1st time its just epic.

• gkb3469gkb3469 Member UncommonPosts: 148

you could always try darkfall whenever their expansion comes out. 

whats the cost for darkfail? sub  or purchase + sub?