Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW: Universe, Will SWTOR hit or miss the mark.

RekamRekam Member UncommonPosts: 90

Too some it may not matter.  But what is everyone's thoughts on whether SWTOR will really bring the Star Wars universe feel to the game.  Or will it be just another MMO with a Star Wars backdrop?  It seems easy to lure the Star Wars fanbase in with fancy cinematics with Star Wars music, but will the game bring that same feel?  I fear it may not.

Your thoughts?

Comments

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Oh, it will definitely bring the feeling. What's questionable is how much of an MMO world feeling it will have. I'm pretty sure they'll nail the adventuring part right.

• shinobi234shinobi234 Member Posts: 437

Originally posted by Rekam

Too some it may not matter.  But what is everyone's thoughts on whether SWTOR will really bring the Star Wars universe feel to the game.  Or will it be just another MMO with a Star Wars backdrop?  It seems easy to lure the Star Wars fanbase in with fancy cinematics with Star Wars music, but will the game bring that same feel?  I fear it may not.

Your thoughts?

nice judge game thats not even out yet  how about play the game upon release geting sick of people judging games when they never played it. let me guess your a hater nice one >.> i pre orderd it and geting it and i ant making no remarks until the games released :P oh.. its a great game btw if you dont like it thats fine i sure lots of people will enjoy the game we dont need haters... the more you hate the more the game going to grow its kinda nice how when mmrpg l about to release hates start then flaming it never changes :P.

• hayes303hayes303 Member UncommonPosts: 430

I think it depends on what you define the Star Wars backdrop as. A lot of people simply look at the movies and that heroic sweeping story. Others look at the extended universe and that is what defines it for them, lot of smaller stories in the backdrop of the heroic story. Others view SWG as the definative Star Wars, a more gritty ground type of Avg Joe making his way in the universe.

Personally I think that SWTOR will do a much better job according to how I define Star Wars than SWG did. 

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

That is a really good question, although I think it will vastly depend on what aspect of Star Wars do you define as the 'Star Wars'. I personally enjoy the Star Wars universe and I could care less about the epic storyline. I want to see a living breathing world, where I can see how my character will fit in. 

I am a standbox fan and I know that SWTOR will not be that but I am still very excited about the game from the perspective of creating my own decisions throughout the storyline. Aside from that Bioware is known to breath life into worlds and give you the feel that world you are in is real and I am hoping for same here.

• wolffinwolffin Member UncommonPosts: 193

Its Bioware it will be good

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

The best guess you can have is take a look at knights of the old republic, did that have the star wars feel. Because thats the best record you can go by really for feel wise.  Do the worlds feel like star wars, does the lore fit.  Same company, same universe.

Myself? I think they have a very good feel on star wars and think they will hit it.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• link35link35 Member Posts: 133

It'll probably have a KOTOR feeling more than anything else, and to me that's a good thing.

BTW It's kind of scary how some people automatically insult the OP as a troll post, did you guys even read it?  If not then do so before posting and if you did read it and consider it in anyway a "hater" post then you need to go back to school for reading comprehension. 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Seeing how the games timeline doesnt coincide with the movies,I think that gives Bioware a little bit of lee-way.

But im sure they'll hit the target in terms of the star wars world and feel.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

Originally posted by fallonfallon

{mod edit}

There I fixed it for you.

• fallonfallonfallonfallon Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by link35

It'll probably have a KOTOR feeling more than anything else, and to me that's a good thing.

BTW It's kind of scary how some people automatically insult the OP as a troll post, did you guys even read it?  If not then do so before posting and if you did read it and consider it in anyway a "hater" post then you need to go back to school for reading comprehension. 

The Op is pretty much saying he or she doesnt think SWTOR will actually feel like a true Star Wars game. Giving no legitiment reason as of why he or she feels that way. Its just ..ok i think swtor is going to be some kind of mmorpg with a generic star wars feel and im going to let everyone know this , but im not going to let anybody know why i feel this way !

If the OP would have had some kind of reason to feeling this way , by some article written or some kind of gameplay video. I would not have went off and started calling the OP a troll. So maybe im not the only one that needs to go back to school !

I FEAR IT MAY NOT..is just another way of saying NO I DONT THINK SO !

• KuaidamKuaidam Member Posts: 183

Your thoughts?

I remember years ago trying SWG's trial. But i was barely starting my journey into MMOs and i didn't really understand the game. Now some good 7 years have passed and now i can tell what i like and what i dont. I'm also a star wars fan. Not the ultra devoted type that knows everything, but a fan all in all. I also have both KOTOR and KOTOR II. I loved them. I still do.

Now, for everything i've seen, read, and heard about SWTOR, i believe that the game will deliver what is being promised.

On my personal checklist I see the archtypes of every character we've seen throughout the movies, the amazing scenaries, the incredible yet almost imperceptible music that acompanies the landscape and the dramatic moments, combat looks cool enough to me with blasters, explosions, sabres and lightning all over the place, and the promise of the great story, not only for your character, but also the companions you meet along the way.

So, taking that into account, imho, YES, SWTOR will really bring the Star Wars universe feel to the game.

• sparkyxsparkyx Member Posts: 38

Being that it's the EA,it will bring dread and depression,not in the beginning mind you.It will be all gumdrops and rainbows  shooting out of Princess Leia's ass at first. The euphoric feeling you had that was injected by the hype machine and it's cut scene trailers will bring you down like a Baltimore heroin addict,on a Sunday morning forgetting that the guy he blew for a fix the night before had aids.BUT it gets better! You will keep coming back for the fix,thinking it has to get better.You keep paying the dealer,and yet the product gets weaker.The itemization & balance will be worse,and yet there you will be begging for buffs from Jedi wanna be's and grinding Jawas in hopes of getting that *epic* drop that will make you the Boba Fett of your gaming generation.Then come the nerfs,stepping on that dope with some caustic crap from under mom's kitchen sink,all the while you will ignore the burn,and rage to the MMO sky with the 2 moons and proclaim that the Empire is your bitch!

In the end you will be EA's bitches(or sheep).I bring this to you as a former player of an EA MMO,be wary young Padawans!

• RekamRekam Member UncommonPosts: 90

I know my own feeling towards it, I feared it possibly would miss the mark to possibly try to expand the number of initial interest.  Some people may not play the gmae simply because it has a Star Wars title, and therefor not interested.(Bioeware/EA might have wanted to give it a general MMO feel then SW feel to lure that group in) Or they might have leaned towards KOTOR feel for the game. I more or less wanted to here others opinions then try to force feed my own.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

Originally posted by fallonfallon

{mod edit}

There I fixed it for you.

You know mate, I've been feeling a lot of sympathy twards the plight of you red zone fans for having to wait, but your continuous litany of bitching about it is starting to make me not care. I seriously doubt that a company like EA would not want your money. There has to be some reason beyond their direct control keeping preorders out of your areas.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

In my opinion it has already missed the mark for the SW feel. The number of restrictions on species and class or class and faction (aside from Jedi vs. Sith) have a distinct non-SW feel to them. 

• dougmysticeydougmysticey Member Posts: 1,176

Originally posted by Rhoklaw

Originally posted by wolffin

Its Bioware it will be good

Yes, BioWare made the game, but lets not forget who else has say in the games development. Lucas Arts and EA, both of which aren't all that great in terms of creating good games over making money.

Bah, It is clearly a Bioware style game and has NOT been overly tainted by LA or EA.  That is tinfoil hat thinking.

So, I have been watching streaming footage for a few days now of the game (I am not in beta) and I can say after watching hours and hours of gameplay that it is definately star wars and feels like it. Now, in saying that, it is definately the BIOWARE vision of star wars like you get from KOTOR 1 @ 2 and NOT as much like the Star Wars from the original three movies.

I have also watched every video made and most of the big video podcasts too. To me, it feels very much like it should.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Your thoughts?

I think it will feel like a special effects driven specticle with a cliche, rehashed, hackneyed, and shallow story line, with substandard acting. In other words I feel SWTOR will feel JUST like the SW Films.

Yes I am a massive Star Wars fan, to me the movies were charming, and as much as I hate to say it, even the prequels had their moments. But take away the John Williams score and Industrial Light and Magic's special effects wizardry, and in my opinion you are left with a story world that isn't incredibly originial. So as I said before I think SWTOR will have no trouble capturing that kind of feel in their MMO. Though I doubt that is really the kind of answer you wanted to hear.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

I think it's fair to say that we all HOPE it hits the mark, but none of us will really KNOW until we've gotten our hands on the game, and can form a more solid opinion at that point.

So... everything in this thread is pure speculation at this point, unless you're lucky enough to be in the beta program.

• LeoghanLeoghan Member Posts: 607

Originally posted by JPTX

I think it's fair to say that we all HOPE it hits the mark, but none of us will really KNOW until we've gotten our hands on the game, and can form a more solid opinion at that point.

So... everything in this thread is pure speculation at this point, unless you're lucky enough to be in the beta program.

Of course it is speculation. If we didn't speculate or write about our opinions of things these forums would be nearly dead. The point here is that we might not agree, but we have our different perspectives on the information and that promotes discouse and discourse promotes the free and open exchange of ideas, which hopefully will promote maturity and understanding. 

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

It seems they are aiming for the majority of modern MMO players' desires. Whether that is parallel to what the majority of Star Wars fans' desires are is impossible to tell. With all the features that are popular recent trends in the genre, it will be hard for them to miss the mark in terms of initial popularity. Their only concern would be that the majority of players' desires don't change within the next year or so.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Your thoughts?

Just from what I have seen of the so-called "space combat", SWTOR has already missed one mark. As far as the rest of it, from what I have seen and heard it probably will feel at least like a Star Wars-like ground game.

Let's party like it is 1863!