Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars The Old Republic, how it wont even begin to change the game industry...

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Kalfer

Same argument with SWTOR and story. "Other games have done it".

I'm rather glad Blizzard didn't halt production of WoW because other games had already done it.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• XciserXciser Member UncommonPosts: 102

Originally posted by matf91

Originally posted by musicmann

The question is, why is the OP trying to dissuade others from being excited about this game. Could it be that the massive amount of interest and ease in which the pre-orders have sold has him worried that some other game that he is truly excited about is not getting enough attention from the members on this site.

Does he feel somewhat it is his calling and duty to tell others what is good and bad to play and then give a personal opinion that he deems to be facts, so others will follow.

Boo-hoo to the OP. TOR, from the looks of it will be a solid game from the ground up and even though, uses some older systems that Bioware has refined, does add some new things to the genre. The game will be popular just on the fact that it is SW, it will ship with a massive amount of content and it will be a very polished game.

If the OP can't see that, then who care's. As for all this art style beng cartoon like, it is all in the eye of the beholder and personal taste. For me i tjhink thisimage imageimageimageimage looks better than thisimageimageimageimage. It's my personal opinion, so all the GW2 fans can whatever. Both games are not done yet and these screens are what they are, nothing more.

you can watch the gameplay videos and theres new ones for boths games about a month old but you still miss my main point.... I am upset that this site who is suppose to be knowledgeable of MMO's has deemed this very clearly typical MMO, Revolutionary.

I don't believe Bioware or EA have said this game would be a revolutionary. They advocate that their focus on story will change the industry because they think it's so good. We will see if it will spark a change/revolution in focusing more on fully voiced MMOs in the future.

As for the players on this site - You can't judge everyone as a whole just because someone is excited about living out their childhood dreams of being a Jedi. And who says that people in MMORPG.com are supposed to knowledgeable?

This site is about MMOs, but you will find just as much ignorance here as everywhere else.

I don't buy your arguments. You gotta come up with something better. There are four better threads made within the last couple of days about why SWTOR-is-a-failure-and-everyone-should know it.

I'm going to say one thing I also tell a lot of clueless people in the GW2 section - Revolution in itself is not good. Change in itself is not good. Sometimes, things will turn out for the worse. Sometimes revolution happens that make everything worse, and that's when you miss it - When it's gone.

GW2's combat for example, is being debunked because there have been other games that have done it before.

Yes, but for both cases it was enough - Nobody has really told a great story. AoC does not have a good story. The games that have had the GW2 type action instant combat have not been great either.

It's not about being revolutionary or innovative for the sake of being it. It's about doing it right, even if it already has been created before. Innovation in itself does not equal good gameplay. I've played many obscure games that were original and innovative, but not particularly fun.

Nobody who is informed will denie that SWTOR is themepark, and that it's quest driven and more of the same. Nobody who knows anything will denie it. However, even though it's not new, people are optimistic that the quality control of this title will be high because of emotional investment from a story perspective with high production values.

At the end of the day, these people who are optimistic and try to see the best in things are the winners. The losers are those who are unable to shake off their assumptions, and beliefs.

I personally am sick of World of Warcraft. I am sick of hotkey MMOs. I don't want to waste my time anymore. Still I am optimistic about The Old Republic. I believe it has a chance of being solid, even though it will have things I have seen and played before, and lack things that I like about other games. That's okay.

I don't expect any game to ever get it 100% right. I will just have fun. And that is why I am winning.

If you want to win too, you should find something awesome that you like! WINNING!

I am so inspired by your speech and I too want to win now! Lol, but the game industry is something that has slowly been dragged out and is plummeting.  Many gamers old and new will tell you that games themselves all tend to be the same and are made as cash cows instead of art, with depth and story.  A new AAA title like Rift was shot down and is still being called the game that filled a void because there was no other games or decent fulfilling MMO's out.   It seems reasonable to say that the oct-december launch of SWTOR is what there planning because they have no competition and any other MMO wont be out til 2012.  lots of star wars fan and people who just want to have fun with an MMO will easily buy it.  I just dont think it can change the industry in any way and that article doesnt show that it means in the market.  Crafting and housing have been seen time again...MMO's are tricky business which i have learned over the years... 

• haratuharatu Member UncommonPosts: 409

As seen in Lord of the Rings and Age of Conan, there is a group of gamers that wants an in depth story and background. While World of Warcraft started by giving this in Vanilla WoW, it has lost it and as a result other games are picking up the slack. While SWTOR may not change the industry, it will help supply the rpg element to an industry that has forgotten the RP part of RPG.

• BergirBergir Member Posts: 299

Agree with the OP, my kids have been over pumped about this game for a long time and i had no problem with them wanting the CE until i read $150.

Lets sit down and find out as much as we can about this game, essentially we realized it's kotor with a monthly sub, so in the end me personally would probably love this game because i thoroughly enjoyed both kotor games. However, my kids now think it's the most boring game they have ever encountered.

I'm a long time mmo player, and i watch and have been a part of all this hype and waiting, preorder, BS. I can't tell you how many times I've gone through this only to realize a month or two after launch "OMG the internet was right, this game is boring".

About a month or two after launch it'll be like:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Yeah "something terrible has happened" people realized they over hyped themselves about this game and all the negative reviews from people were right (it's boring), and that's about when I'll be picking this game up on a some sort of 50% to 75% sale for about $20 bucks and enjoy the chit out of this game for couple months. WHY? because I'm done, no actually tired of all this hype of games and OMG people screaming it's going to kill wow, as if this <insert game here> is going to make life better.

So no, not everyone will be disappointed however be prepared for a fallout of unprecedented levels of disappointment.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

such a lame argument.. its right up there with 'X game is going to kill WoW'  does the MMO industry need changing? and is SW;TOR capable of changing it... no on both counts..  doesnt mean that SW;TOR is going to fail though.. the game could be quite successful, but it doesnt do anything different, voiceovers in games arent new.. even WoW has had them, even character voices.. though obviously with very little differentiation, if you don't believe that just play WoW and type /silly .... yup.. you can make your toons speak in WoW, its a very 'old' feature of the game, and corny as hell, and not really all that funny .... expanding on that feature, may or may not be a good thing, its really down to personal preferences, but its not actually a new thing, or even all that original.. and whether it actually will enhance SW;TOR or not, remains to be seen. The only way SW;TOR could change the MMO industry, is if the game failed... which.. although im not really convinced it will be as popular as the hype would suggest, i don't think it will... so no real expectation of games changing in the future... if anything.. SW;TOR's success would be reaffirmation of the WoW model... not that it really needs one.. image

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by rt33

Agree with the OP, my kids have been over pumped about this game for a long time and i had no problem with them wanting the CE until i read $150.

Lets sit down and find out as much as we can about this game, essentially we realized it's kotor with a monthly sub, so in the end me personally would probably love this game because i thoroughly enjoyed both kotor games. However, my kids now think it's the most boring game they have ever encountered.

I'm a long time mmo player, and i watch and have been a part of all this hype and waiting, preorder, BS. I can't tell you how many times I've gone through this only to realize a month or two after launch "OMG the internet was right, this game is boring".

About a month or two after launch it'll be like:

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."

Yeah "something terrible has happened" people realized they over hyped themselves about this game and all the negative reviews from people were right (it's boring), and that's about when I'll be picking this game up on a some sort of 50% to 75% sale for about $20 bucks and enjoy the chit out of this game for couple months. WHY? because I'm done, no actually tired of all this hype of games and OMG people screaming it's going to kill wow, as if this is going to make life better.

So no, not everyone will be disappointed however be prepared for a fallout of unprecedented levels of disappointment.

There have been overwhelmingly more positive previews / reviews than negative.  Yet everyone continues to paint this doom and gloom scenario that would be tragic if it weren't so damn ludicrous.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by Katilla

Lets start by having you watch this,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8CPNUEfcoc

In this video you see.. typical UI, typical mmorpg quests/ideas.   The combat looks extremely boring....   What moves did he use... oh yah explosions and shoot a laser gun....

I see an mmo like rift and like wow and like all the rest that uses the same ui and ideas.    

What makes this game different?   The fact that its the star wars universe?

I mean come on... the graphics arent even good... have you seen guild wars 2 and battlefield 3.... get with the future...

Someone point out why they think this is good or revolutionary because the things that people havent see is what they tend to say is the good aspects.   Its all a bunch of BS,  this game looks worse then rift did and that game wasnt even that bad.

Get off the Star Wars band wagon and stop fan boying, this game analzyed from an MMO point is so typical and fail.... remember tihs when it launches.

BIG Edit*  The main idea is... from what i have read and seen the general mmo industry wants to see different and better games... have you seen why people ripped apart RIFT... thats a unique storyline... not some ripped off book or movie.  Bioware doesnt have to use as much creativity and the game looks typical.  This site MMORPG also claims that the game is revolutionary... so I am helping people to not be misinformed.

you can play it all day if you want... have all the Star Wars you can possibly have!  Im just sheddling light on what this game isnt because people tend to be very fan boy.

*added poll for whoever cares... im just making a point.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/5424/page/1 this is the article that I feel is wrong... theres no information to back up any points while looking at this video it answers itself.

thank god you won't be playing this game when it goes live.  I for one will be enjoying the epic storylines that i can actually make choices in... unlike any MMO...  Glad to see you and your e-peen will be off playing some different games and staying the hell away from my servers and forums.

Those are the exact thoughts that run through my head whenever I read a new thread designed purely to be inflammatory.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

ToR is "revolutionary" only in the sense that it's the most hyped new kid on the block.  "WoW-killer" is copy from a PowerPoint slide, and so is "revolutionary".

It's evolutionary, at best.

The rest (to include the official MMORPG.com content) is advertising copy.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• MaraGossepMaraGossep Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by rygard49

Lets start by having you watch this,  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8CPNUEfcoc

In this video you see.. typical UI, typical mmorpg quests/ideas.   The combat looks extremely boring....   What moves did he use... oh yah explosions and shoot a laser gun....

I see an mmo like rift and like wow and like all the rest that uses the same ui and ideas.    

I mean come on... the graphics arent even good... have you seen guild wars 2 and battlefield 3.... get with the future...

Someone point out why they think this is good or revolutionary because the things that people havent see is what they tend to say is the good aspects.   Its all a bunch of BS,  this game looks worse then rift did and that game wasnt even that bad.

Get off the Star Wars band wagon and stop fan boying, this game analzyed from an MMO point is so typical and fail.... remember tihs when it launches.

BIG Edit*  The main idea is... from what i have read and seen the general mmo industry wants to see different and better games... have you seen why people ripped apart RIFT... thats a unique storyline... not some ripped off book or movie.  Bioware doesnt have to use as much creativity and the game looks typical.  This site MMORPG also claims that the game is revolutionary... so I am helping people to not be misinformed.

you can play it all day if you want... have all the Star Wars you can possibly have!  Im just sheddling light on what this game isnt because people tend to be very fan boy.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/367/feature/5424/page/1 this is the article that I feel is wrong... theres no information to back up any points while looking at this video it answers itself.

thank god you won't be playing this game when it goes live.  I for one will be enjoying the epic storylines that i can actually make choices in... unlike any MMO...  Glad to see you and your e-peen will be off playing some different games and staying the hell away from my servers and forums.

Those are the exact thoughts that run through my head whenever I read a new thread designed purely to be inflammatory.

Choices doesn't mean a thing, unless the choice you make actually influence the WORLD you play in, and not just your own little storyline.

As someone pointed out in a post I read, which nailed it just right:

You beat this leader of the local Sith force, and feel proud about it. A little later, you realize that everyone are doing the same thing, in the same world.

It makes a bad storyline to do it this way. I know it takes a lot of effort to avoid this, but I honestly expected BioWare to pick up that same challenge, but they just rode along the old band wagon of horrible storylines, which has no logic to it whatsoever.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Lol, but the game industry is something that has slowly been dragged out and is plummeting. 

You know we heard the same argument about Donkey Kong back in '81, right?

Gamers get burned out.  Yet the industry itself is doing better than it ever has.  $27.3 billion dollars in 2011, more than pop music and Hollywood films combined.

Definitely plummeting.  All hope is lost.  Doom.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Ghost021Ghost021 Member Posts: 84

To be honest the OP is spot on in his post, the game isn't revolutionary, at least not from the viewpoint that you can "have a bug free game at launch", when that little big point becomes the corner stone in the mmo industry then somwhere in the past things have gone really really sour...

Thats really were this forum fails now and then.. a

BUT! It does not meen the game isn't , or can possibly be, entertaining! And thats a key factor in this genre ( like in any but with a 1000000% importance factor in mmos ) , this is what brings the big bucks to game producers.

I'm personally pre-ordering the game and i'll give it a try, more of a 40K fan but while there's no good 40K online game ( aside from DoW II in multiplayer ) i'm sticking to playing fat. girl harassing, chips addicted, mon-calamari, with light toothpick.

^^ my 0.5 centimeters.

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Learn the difference between graphics and art style.

Try and comprehend that watching is not the same as playing.

If you just watch GW2, it looks like the same combat as every other game just with rolling and seizure enducing animations.

Try and understand that the crafting and equipment system is done better than most MMOs we've seen.

Step out of your box and see that BioWares emphasis on story isn't just fluff and that its a major impact on the way people will go through the game.

Stop and think that there are entire worlds dedicated to end game content,  one world dedicated totally to solo players.  

Ask yourself what amount of content is available throughout 17 worlds,  some of those worlds larger than the entirety of some other games.

Try to recognize that, just because you have a hotbar doesn't mean the combat will so closely resemble WoW.

Think about Companions,  how just having one with you can change the content you experience, or how you tackle opponents both with or without a group.

I could go on all day, but you've made up your mind.  Just because you see something one way, doesn't mean everyone does. 

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/sdcc-11-guild-wars-2/717922

Watch that and tell me what seems more revolutionary and the step that the MMO industry should be taking... What you told me is that bioware can follow a story that is already written in books and recreate it while added content that somehow makes there dungeons unique becuase there on different worlds instead of zones....  gameplay is more important because if its boring going through the story... who wants to play it

Look, some will say gw2 is a revolution, some will say swtor is, some might say Tera, and others might say Archeage or TWS...

Point is  it all goes down to what YOU are looking for.

• Guild Wars 2 seems to have beautiful graphics and fun combat, emphasis on cooperation, and the dynamic events...

• SWTOR has their story telling, the companions, sci-fi theme, lightsabers etc...

• TERA also has beautiful graphics and "revolutionary" combat and the new political system

• Archeage got the graphics and the sandbox elements

• TSW got stunning graphics, no class system, 3 factions, the "here & now" theme...

Every new game has something, and who are you to say that one is more "revolutionary" than the others?... It all comes down to what YOU want and how it wil feel fresh for YOU.... and please dont say story is boring... for some of us this is something much needed.

The question is, why is the OP trying to dissuade others from being excited about this game. Could it be that the massive amount of interest and ease in which the pre-orders have sold has him worried that some other game that he is truly excited about is not getting enough attention from the members on this site.

Does he feel somewhat it is his calling and duty to tell others what is good and bad to play and then give a personal opinion that he deems to be facts, so others will follow.

Boo-hoo to the OP. TOR, from the looks of it will be a solid game from the ground up and even though, uses some older systems that Bioware has refined, does add some new things to the genre. The game will be popular just on the fact that it is SW, it will ship with a massive amount of content and it will be a very polished game.

If the OP can't see that, then who care's. As for all this art style beng cartoon like, it is all in the eye of the beholder and personal taste. For me i tjhink thisimage imageimageimageimage looks better than thisimageimageimageimage. It's my personal opinion, so all the GW2 fans can whatever. Both games are not done yet and these screens are what they are, nothing more.

you can watch the gameplay videos and theres new ones for boths games about a month old but you still miss my main point.... I am upset that this site who is suppose to be knowledgeable of MMO's has deemed this very clearly typical MMO, Revolutionary.

I don't believe Bioware or EA have said this game would be a revolutionary. They advocate that their focus on story will change the industry because they think it's so good. We will see if it will spark a change/revolution in focusing more on fully voiced MMOs in the future.

As for the players on this site - You can't judge everyone as a whole just because someone is excited about living out their childhood dreams of being a Jedi. And who says that people in MMORPG.com are supposed to knowledgeable?

This site is about MMOs, but you will find just as much ignorance here as everywhere else.

I don't buy your arguments. You gotta come up with something better. There are four better threads made within the last couple of days about why SWTOR-is-a-failure-and-everyone-should know it.

I'm going to say one thing I also tell a lot of clueless people in the GW2 section - Revolution in itself is not good. Change in itself is not good. Sometimes, things will turn out for the worse. Sometimes revolution happens that make everything worse, and that's when you miss it - When it's gone.

GW2's combat for example, is being debunked because there have been other games that have done it before.

Yes, but for both cases it was enough - Nobody has really told a great story. AoC does not have a good story. The games that have had the GW2 type action instant combat have not been great either.

It's not about being revolutionary or innovative for the sake of being it. It's about doing it right, even if it already has been created before. Innovation in itself does not equal good gameplay. I've played many obscure games that were original and innovative, but not particularly fun.

Nobody who is informed will denie that SWTOR is themepark, and that it's quest driven and more of the same. Nobody who knows anything will denie it. However, even though it's not new, people are optimistic that the quality control of this title will be high because of emotional investment from a story perspective with high production values.

At the end of the day, these people who are optimistic and try to see the best in things are the winners. The losers are those who are unable to shake off their assumptions, and beliefs.

I personally am sick of World of Warcraft. I am sick of hotkey MMOs. I don't want to waste my time anymore. Still I am optimistic about The Old Republic. I believe it has a chance of being solid, even though it will have things I have seen and played before, and lack things that I like about other games. That's okay.

I don't expect any game to ever get it 100% right. I will just have fun. And that is why I am winning.

If you want to win too, you should find something awesome that you like! WINNING!

What is evolutionary about TOR is that the story is interactive and can be changed by your choices, THAT has not been attempted so far in any MMO to date.  Now there will be real consequences to how the story turns out when you decide to kill or save a person or preserve or destroy a location.

Originally posted by MaraGossep

Choices doesn't mean a thing, unless the choice you make actually influence the WORLD you play in, and not just your own little storyline.

You beat this leader of the local Sith force, and feel proud about it. A little later, you realize that everyone are doing the same thing, in the same world.

It makes a bad storyline to do it this way. I know it takes a lot of effort to avoid this, but I honestly expected BioWare to pick up that same challenge, but they just rode along the old band wagon of horrible storylines, which has no logic to it whatsoever.

It means something to me, because I happen to like stories and I happen to like the idea that I can participate in it and influence the story.  While it would be nice to see it represented in the actual game world, it's enough that it affects the outcome of my story.

• praizepraize Member UncommonPosts: 10

We'll. See. Soon(tm).

One thing that's somewhat revolutionary in the MMO space (not completely, it's been done before but not in Rift or Wow which were cited in the OP) is the lack of autoattack.

How is that 'revolutionary'?  Well, only marginally so, but it does mean that every attack is done with purpose.  I think that's a good step in the right direction.  I also believe the story driven nature, and the fact that there will be points you can spend on rewards for simply going through dialog with a group will also help separate this game from the pack.

In the end, we'll see.  I have hope for this game, but I'm tempering them because I've been burned before.  All we can do is wait.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230

What makes combat interesting is how much game there is in the choices of attacks and you wont see that in a vid.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Revolutionary.....that's the question?  I think if that is what we're trying to determine here then my answer is NO.  I do not believe SWTOR will be "revolutionary," but....that doesn't mean it may not still be a good game.  The only "revolutionary" thing I see about it, for an MMO, is the amount of voice acting.  Other than that, it doesn't appear, to me, to have anything really "revolutionary" to MMOs, but...time will tell.  I hate judging unreleased games.  It's really premature to be making vast proclamations.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

Cancel your pre-order then, they've already said there will be cash shops in TOR.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by Icewhite

Lol, but the game industry is something that has slowly been dragged out and is plummeting. 

You know we heard the same argument about Donkey Kong back in '81, right?

Gamers get burned out.  Yet the industry itself is doing better than it ever has.  $27.3 billion dollars in 2011, more than pop music and Hollywood films combined.

Definitely plummeting.  All hope is lost.  Doom.

What this means is the media observers are imposing their own perspective on everyone else, and declaring a trend to be "over".  Based on their careful observation of their small little clique.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Here's a question... why does a game need to be "revolutionary" to be good?

I'd rather a game be "good" than "revolutionary".

• MaraGossepMaraGossep Member Posts: 74

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Originally posted by MaraGossep

*snip*

*snip*

*snip*

It means something to me, because I happen to like stories and I happen to like the idea that I can participate in it and influence the story.  While it would be nice to see it represented in the actual game world, it's enough that it affects the outcome of my story.

You got a whole array of single player games which beats the crap out of SWTOR as for storylines (Bethesda's games being excellent examples of this). My worry is that your choices, wont affect my choices. When this doesn't happen, it loses the MMO feel bigtime IMO.

• NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Wow I did not realize that GW2 looks so anime. I always hated that look, guess that explains the DBZ particle effects.

In Bioware we trust!

• WarzodWarzod Member RarePosts: 495

No, he's correct. The gaming industry will still be chalk full of self-absorbed, pretentious, doomsayers with an overly developed sense of entitlement constantly complaining about how nothing ever reaches 'their' high level of standards. Star Wars the Old Republic will do absolutely nothing to change that. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Epic storylines that you can actually make choices in....like City of Heroes Going Rogue, that has branching missions and story arcs with morality choices?  Yeah, TOR isn't that special ( ' ;