Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I really try to like this game

TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Being a big Star Trek nerd, I really try to like this game.  Today I wanted to try out the new ground combat, but getting to that point was a long frustrating process that involved 1 million load screens.  lol

I log into the game and see that i have my TOS Enterprise 'equiped'.  I decide to see my bridge.  Load screen.  I get on the bridge, look around and decide to check out a foundry mission.  I go to turbo lift.  Load screen.  I go to crew quarters, saunter over to my captain's quarters and sit in chair and try to access my ships log.  After several attempts, I give up and head over to another room where I find the missions can be accessed.  I decide to try the Azura mission.  I go back to ship view, Load screen.

I fly to Azura and go into the zone.  Load screen.  A short battle ensues and I am utterly destroyed.  I suck.  I decide to go back to star base and get a better ship.  Load Screen.  Once in the galaxy, I use my hyperspace ability or whatever and go back to Sol System.  Load Screen.  I fly over to the starbase.  Load screen.  I run through the starbase, access ships and get my Constitution refit, cause I'm old school and that's how I want to roll.  Plus I'm sporting TOS clothing, sweet.

I try to change the bridge on the ship to one a little more modern but still in keeping with the TOS spirit.  I click purchase on a cstore item but instructions tell me I must click buy tab...but I don't see it.  I hit the X button at the top of the window to clear out of that screen and my computer goes into windowed mode and freezes.  I give it a few minutes and it unfreezes.  I head over to c store, purchase the new bridge, go back and install it.  Sweet.  Now I'm ready.  I beam up to my ship.  Load Screen.  Oops, i forgot something.  Shit.  Load screen.  Back at Starbase, get what I need.  Beam back up.  Load Screen.  Zone out of Sol.  Load Screen.  Fly to Azura and enter zone.  Load Screen.  Battle ensues.  I beam aboard Azura.  Load Screen.  Fight my way through the ship.

Finally I get to sample the new ground combat.  It seems pretty cool but why are 3 keys in my toolbox hilighted.  I don't see any tool tips or info.  I play around with it for awhile then give up.  I fight my way through the ship, talk to the captain and then beam back to my ship.  Load screen.  Now I'm in the transporter room.  I chit chat with the transporter tech, head to the turbo lift.  Load screen. Now I'm back aboard my ship.

I proceed to get kicked in the nards by orion fighters convinced my scrotum is a hackey sack.  I draw them away from the battleship but still keep dying.  After a few deaths I quit and leave my office, yelling at my cat who is sitting on the stairs, just waiting to trip me up.  Bad kittie...bad!  BAD!

(cat: "wtf is wrong with you I was just chillaxing beotch, not my fault your game sucks.")

STOP WITH ALL THE DAMNED LOAD SCREENS!!!!!!!  lol...

It wouldn't be so bad if they were quick.  But anything less than a second or two and I get my pen and paper and start drawing pictures while I wait for a screen to load.  I have a brand new gaming rig and a great cable connection.  Granted, I'm running the game fullly maxed....but holy shit I am now tempted to go back and time the load screens with my stop watch only I will feel retarded doing it as I should be finding other more interesting ways to piss my self off.  Plus I spent time ranting here.  lol.

end rant. 

Comments

• EndDreamEndDream Member Posts: 1,152

In other news, the ground combat is horrible.

Remember Old School Ultima Online

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Since the season 4 patch the loading times between the various instances seem a good bit longer. The new ground combat is much better than what the game launched with but the responce when using abilities still seems laggy.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

I just wish they would fix it so everytime you bump intp a plant, rock or stair that you stop moveing in place at super slow motion.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Oh, another STO hate thread...how original.

To the "load screens are a bit longer" complaint....this is due to the "patch on demand" feature in most cases. Loads are not any longer then before Season 4.

To the complaints about dying so many times in the Azura mission, player has to really not know what they are doing to not be able to survive that one. Probably the easiest mission unless you are playing it at the highest difficulty setting...couldn't be that though now could it?

If you don't like the game, please do yourself a favor and  go play something simpler to your liking. ;)

Let's party like it is 1863!

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

The only thing I liked about this game was the character customization. Spent more time playing with it than actually playing past the character creation.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I liked character customization too in the beginning, till I noticed so many people look alike.  I think the sliders need to be able to do more.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

Taking an educated guess this game probably isn't for you.  Look around at other space sims?

There's a new Trek game coming out soon: Star Trek - Infinite Space

http://startrek-is.com/

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by Gruug

Oh, another STO hate thread...how original.

To the "load screens are a bit longer" complaint....this is due to the "patch on demand" feature in most cases. Loads are not any longer then before Season 4.

To the complaints about dying so many times in the Azura mission, player has to really not know what they are doing to not be able to survive that one. Probably the easiest mission unless you are playing it at the highest difficulty setting...couldn't be that though now could it?

If you don't like the game, please do yourself a favor and  go play something simpler to your liking. ;)

That patch on demand  feature adding to the lenght of loading times excuse is bullshit. Just going from ESD to my ship, ship to bridge and back again takes longer now with the new animated loading screen than before the update. You can tell when the game is patching as it shows a download timer in the top left of the screen and that message hasn't been there 90% of the time Iv noticed the longer load times.

Dying under the new combat system happens much faster now due to the much faster combat speed and with player shields being nerfed to hell. The difficulty setting on normal never mind higher can have you dead in seconds now with Breen npcs being the worst for a huge dps nuke out of nowhere.

Nice to see the return of the CDF to these forums tho :)

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Yeah there are a lot of loading screens, and yes they take far to long to load on a "normal" harddrive. Though if you feel it takes longer now with season 4 it might be down to fragmentated gamefiles cause i didn't notice any difference on my side.

That being said the new ground combat is awesome, and im not just talking about shooter mode. Im talking about the weapon/abilities revamp that greatly increased the pace of it, really quite good imho.

Someone asked why the first 3 buttons are highlighted in your bar, thats because they are your active skills used by left, right and middle mouse button(going from left to right). If you press 'R' the highlights move up one bar for a single action.

For example if  '1' is your primary attack, and above that you have a grenade ability accessed by 'ctrl-1' you could do the following:

1. Fire your primary attack with your left mousebutton a couple times.

2. Press 'R' and see the highlights move up one bar.

3. Throw a grenade with your left mousebutton at the place the recticle is pointing at.

4. Fire your primary attack with your left mousebutton again.

Takes some getting used too but is actually quite neat. Double press of 'R' moves up two bars btw.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Jounar

Dying under the new combat system happens much faster now due to the much faster combat speed and with player shields being nerfed to hell. The difficulty setting on normal never mind higher can have you dead in seconds now with Breen npcs being the worst for a huge dps nuke out of nowhere.

Nice to see the return of the CDF to these forums tho :)

Here's a tip, when you see the Blue Circle pop up on the ground, and one of the Breen wind up like Nolan Ryan... Move your people out of the blue circle. You can even pause the game ffs
  • AC1074AC1074 Member Posts: 274

I have said it in beta, I will say it here...again. The one server instanced zones = fail. That's why there are so many loading screens. The game should have been put up with servers and where everyone can see along with interact with each other. I love the game but I wanted to try it again now the "new ground combat" is out. After reading these comments, I am not sure I want to try the game out again. I really didn't like the loading screens either.