Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many will stay ?

Comments

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677

Originally posted by Frostbite05

Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by Z3R01

To the game industry Rift is a screaming success.

If Rift is such a "screaming success" then why did they move 20 servers to Trial? Practically shutting them down.

because they launched with way to many server and the trial servers now were all low pop even after launch. Wow had the same issue they had to do the whole server xfer and everything for hte first year then it slowly started to get more subs then it exploded pop wise.

Also, remember Rift had a fairly low budget (less than 40 million I believe). Trion has more than made their money back on box sales alone. Themepark MMOs can be very profitable. 

• jeremyjodesjeremyjodes Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 679

They should go all out with the first xpac and make it a thempark/sandbox hybrid. I would play again if they did something like that man. You gotta pimp as many demographics as you can. So far the sandbox genre has slim pickens. combine both i say.

• FadernFadern Member Posts: 37

Isn't Rift the only good game except Wow, where you can do dungeons raids ?, like with more than 10 ppl.

Gw2 and Swtor will not have raiding as far as I understand.

Rift was released at the perfect timing, just after the inittial rush for Cataclysm and atleast a year from the upcomming rivals.

Rift will stand out with raiding compared to Gw2, Tera and Swtor,  but if Trion doesn't make something really good comming out in the next 3-4 patches it will be to late and raiding will be the only thing they stand out with.

Rifts customer that raids is aswell only around 10%.

Maybe if they throw out a few new wf's, more dungeons, more zones, castle sieges for pve/pvp, and a rated pvp system if the can balance the pvp. Then but only then they might survive.

Otherwise I think 90% of their customer will go to games like Gw2, Tera, Swtor and Diablo 3.

Ps. I still play Rift and have been doing so since day 1.

• DestryrDestryr Member Posts: 43

I would really like Rift to stay alive. But probably more so becasue of Trion. They actually listen to player base and feedback. Maybe if they making a game on the lines of simularity of GW2 and SWTOR they will keep subs.

But if im the last one in my guild thats playing then there goes any chance of decent grouping.  

And again im ever weary of you EA... (eyes on you)

• Vortex5ooVortex5oo Member Posts: 106

Originally posted by Slivver

Originally posted by Vortex5oo

In one moment we fight off an invasion and the world is on fire, the next its all back to normal just like nothing happened, not a trace of what just happened. And this happen over and over again.. .whats the point really? Well Im done now. Trion you did a great game! To bad its so boring. :( I cancelled my two accounts yesterday.

What exactly are you expecting from a game?  You can't make a game where the content doesn't reset, every MMORPG there has ever been has to do this otherwise it would be like playing a single player RPG and for everyone except the first group to experience the content this would mean walking through an empty world filled with hacked up corpses.  If you are looking for a fully persistent world where everything has a permanent affect on the world you might want to look at single player games.

Lol... just lol. I wasnt talking about a permanent effect to the game world. Where did you get that idea from?  And your reply is just silly, "the first group", do you honest think that is what I meant and expected? rofl

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by Destryr

I would really like Rift to stay alive. But probably more so becasue of Trion. They actually listen to player base and feedback. Maybe if they making a game on the lines of simularity of GW2 and SWTOR they will keep subs.

But if im the last one in my guild thats playing then there goes any chance of decent grouping.  

And again im ever weary of you EA... (eyes on you)

I just resubbed and will shove a year down content coming looks great and they seem to listen and move with the player mood and the market which is exactly where I want to be.

Greed signs are already showing with EA and from what I have seen of SWTOR it really isn't a "cut" above anything else to deserve the gucci price tag being touted about.

Trion and rift will be further down the road major players in the mmorpg market plus nothing else really gives me any reason to play.  I will always tag GW2 with  P2P mmorpg so I can escape the spam.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

...Rift was fun, but got old fast.  End is coming already, and we all can see it.

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

Originally posted by TheJoda

End is coming already, and we all can see it.

Yep and many movies play on that!

With the content pumping out the speed it is rift is not going anywhere fast.  By christmas I reckon the game will be stonkingly great.

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

...Rift was fun, but got old fast.  End is coming already, and we all can see it.

I'm not sure who you are referring to by "we". I see RIFT having a bright future considering how responsive the developers have been to player needs.  I've unsubbed a couple times, but never intending to stay away permanently. I just can't afford to have 3 different games going at once LOL

Perhaps you were referring to Mr. We.

• TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605

Originally posted by MMOtoGO

I'm not sure who you are referring to by "we". I see RIFT having a bright future considering how responsive the developers have been to player needs.  I've unsubbed a couple times, but never intending to stay away permanently. I just can't afford to have 3 different games going at once LOL

Perhaps you were referring to Mr. We.

enjoy the game then......cya SON

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

Back on topic:

GW2 is a F2P or B2P which I made clear earlier, no bad thing but it will be a side game for that reason.

SWTOR is a Sci-Fi game.

Has anyone else thought that both these factors alone are not enough to pull people away from their somewhat private club fee structured fantasy world.  SWG was the last star wars game and it was successful before NGE, even then I didn't see swathes of people leaving their fantasy worlds sucking the industry into its death star vortex.

+ Gamers are much more smart these days not to upsticks to the new flash for mighty $$££. I say wait and see, avoid the flippin rush, queue times, launch problems, over-crowding and class tweaking.

Rift has had the smoothest launch of any mmorpg I have witnessed, I say good luck to her and all that sail with her. Now get off the rift boards and go hassle another one.  I'm fed up with the bashing of what is a sound decent happy and well developed and worked on mmorpg by Trion.

• DarthViousDarthVious Member Posts: 39

Originally posted by Fadern

Isn't Rift the only good game except Wow, where you can do dungeons raids ?, like with more than 10 ppl.

Rift was released at the perfect timing, just after the inittial rush for Cataclysm and atleast a year from the upcomming rivals.

Rift will stand out with raiding compared to Gw2, Tera and Swtor,  but if Trion doesn't make something really good comming out in the next 3-4 patches it will be to late and raiding will be the only thing they stand out with.

Maybe if they throw out a few new wf's, more dungeons, more zones, castle sieges for pve/pvp, and a rated pvp system if the can balance the pvp. Then but only then they might survive.

Otherwise I think 90% of their customer will go to games like Gw2, Tera, Swtor and Diablo 3.

SW:TOR will have plenty of raiding. There are numerous articles and videos detailing and showing raid content. 

As for the OP, I have enjoyed Rift since Closed Beta but it hasn't been able to keep me as hyped as I am for TOR. Like others, I believe it will last because it has created a niche for itself and it will continue to do so. I just don't feel that Rift is of the same caliber as some of the upcoming games. 

I will continue to play and will come back every once in awhile but my attention is now focused on something different.

Darth Vious

-Dextera Imperium-
    http://dexteraimperium.com

Originally posted by DarthVious

Originally posted by Fadern

SW:TOR will have plenty of raiding. There are numerous articles and videos detailing and showing raid content. 

As for the OP, I have enjoyed Rift since Closed Beta but it hasn't been able to keep me as hyped as I am for TOR. Like others, I believe it will last because it has created a niche for itself and it will continue to do so. I just don't feel that Rift is of the same caliber as some of the upcoming games. 

I will continue to play and will come back every once in awhile but my attention is now focused on something different.

Ive got a box right here its got the most amazing stuff inside it, others have seen it but they cannot tell you what they think.  You are just going to have to trust me and purchase it for $150!

Some folks get way too excited and think that the next thing will be the best thing when in reality people end up going back to the old trusted.  If the whole world acted on hype and impulse waiting for the next best thing and swapping and trading up. We would all be on Jerry Springer.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Playing Rift right now. I enjoy certain aspects of it. As has been said though. The community overall is subpar. I feel like i am solo grinding my way up to top. The Dungeon runs. I like. They need more however.

I see myself moving to Space marine within the next month when it releases, Play that with a friend. Then Neverwinter, see how that is. And onto GW2.

I know I will try Planet side 2 and EQnext as well... So many good titles up and coming that i am wanting to try.

If GW2 or EQnext does not hold me though. I might get out of the mmoRPG games altogether. I just have not been happy with the way games have went. Every new game becomes more casual friendly, and solo friendly. I got into MMOs back in EQ1 beta. What locked me for 6  or 7 years to it was the fact that the community was great (for the most part) You travelled and explored with people, instead of venturing thru a solo journey, that only has an occasional teamup. People also came together to help other people aquire things. Nowadays, players play the game for one thing only and that is themselves. In modern games every task (because they sure the hell arent quests) has to give a reward and loot for everyone to use. Nothing is earned. Anyway enough with my rant.

Here is to hoping The next generation of games might be able to bring back what the current generation of games has left behind.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If Rift is such a "screaming success" then why did they move 20 servers to Trial? Practically shutting them down.

The amount of box/digital sales they raked in alone made this game a success on their side of the court.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Originally posted by tank017

The amount of box/digital sales they raked in alone made this game a success on their side of the court.

A successful mmo not only base on box sale, but how many players it can retain, say after 6 mths.
    For rift to be facing 2, imvpo, huge coming mmo, they have a hard battle ahead to retain subs

RIP Orc Choppa

• MMOtoGOMMOtoGO Member Posts: 630

Originally posted by arctarus

A successful mmo not only base on box sale, but how many players it can retain, say after 6 mths. For rift to be facing 2, imvpo, huge coming mmo, they have a hard battle ahead to retain subs

Not likely.  RIFT already has a rabid committed core of players, plus plenty of media firepower with their PR friendly leaders.  I don't see RIFT going anywhere for a long time.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

A successful mmo not only base on box sale, but how many players it can retain, say after 6 mths. For rift to be facing 2, imvpo, huge coming mmo, they have a hard battle ahead to retain subs

And over the last few years there is a stark trend appearing. Because the audience reaches into the millions and millions, every new release has a huge initial influx with a steep drop off shortly after launch. While the initial surge has to do with the shear size of the audience, the low retention is a direct result of more choice in the market.

Therefore, it is common for all mmo's now to have far more people try the game then to stay.

Subsequently, if we look at Rift's retention rate relative to other recent releases; dcuo, sto, ffivx, all the way back to WAR and AoC - we can clearly see that Rift, as far as the industry is concerned, this is a 'screaming success'.

Gone are the days when games released and the entire audience shifted in mass. While this would have been a sign of doom back near WoW's release; it is a different market today.

And to further, without knowing hard numbers, it is pure speculation about what constitutes a 'bad retention rate'. For example, do you know of the people who trial WoW, how many sub? No one knows. But what if you found out that for every 5 who try it, only 1 subscribes? And then what if you learned that Rift was sponsering 1 in 4? With facts, it could change your whole perspective. In my hypothetical, the entire question would then become, 'does WoW's high sub numbers come from the retention rate or the shear number of people who try it?'

That is my speculation with all the promotionals going on with Rift. They know their retention rate. Let' say for example it is 1 in 4. So if 2 million tried it, they have around half a million subs - so they are attempting to expose 4 million more people to it so they gain 1 million subs. *Again - hypothetical numbers used for illustration.

Sometimes, the business is more complex then you think.

With the amount of copies they sold they made a nice sum of profit.How long people stay is just icing on the cake.

• -Zeno--Zeno- Member CommonPosts: 1,298

I told you so.  Server mergers.  Dwindling population.  Its all right on schedule.  Next.

The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.

Originally posted by -Zeno-

I told you so.  Server mergers.  Dwindling population.  Its all right on schedule.  Next.

Which happens with every mmo...

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Yes, indeed it happens with about every mmo -but just because it happened in WAR, AoC, Aion etc., this doesn't make Rift a better game.

We're not talking about the regular 30days+ drop, that happens to every game to an extend. We're talking about folks left WAR, AoC and the likes to the hundred thousands because these games failed bad in several ways -and Rift goes right along with them (also see Trion's more and more desperate measures).

People WOULD stay and are desperately looking for a new mmo home for years, because dev serving nothing but a shallow, worn out formula which people are burnt out of for 6 years, it has become normal that all recent years' games experienced an exodus.

But this is because of their overall lack of quality, the common point all these games share and it is in no way an excuse or an exceptable standard because "it happened to all of them".

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Spaceweed10

ToR and GW2 will take 75% of Rift's subs - however, Trion will make plenty of cash in the meantime.

Probably not. TOR will cater to the super casuals/bioware fans, which will mean it will by very successfull. GW2 has no sub people will likely play it along side another game. TOR will have the max of 3 player groups for instances and such. GW2 is supposed to have world events but will also have dungeons/raids. Hopefully it will be pvp orientated like the original.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Originally posted by VoIgore

We're not talking about the regular 30days+ drop, that happens to every game to an extend. We're talking about folks left WAR, AoC and the likes to the hundred thousands because these games failed bad in several ways -and Rift goes right along with them (also see Trion's more and more desperate measures).

So you're saying that the population in Rift is knowing the same drop as WAR, AoC or Aion?

Originally posted by VoIgore

Yes, indeed it happens with about every mmo -but just because it happened in WAR, AoC, Aion etc., this doesn't make Rift a better game.

People WOULD stay and are desperately looking for a new mmo home for years, because dev serving nothing but a shallow, worn out formula which people are burnt out of for 6 years, it has become normal that all recent years' games experienced an exodus.

But this is because of their overall lack of quality, the common point all these games share and it is in no way an excuse or an exceptable standard because "it happened to all of them".

What makes you think Trion is "desperate"? becuase they are making business moves to try and get as much money out of their product as they can? I dont see that as being desperate at all..

War,AoC,and Aion were flawed,Rift is a solid game and will retain a solid population.