Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I install expansion data on resubbed account?

92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904

I just resubscribed my old FFXI account. Last November of 2010 I bought the ultimate edition through steam. The data was installed on another computer, which I no longer have. I also no longer have access to my steam account. I updated the game on this computer through playonline and it only installed Rise of the Zilart, but none of the other expansions that I have registered to my content ID. I checked my content id through playonline and it shows all of the expansions are enabled.

So my questions are:

1. Is there any way I can download the expansions without discs or steam access?

2. If I bought the ultimate edition back in november of last year, will I have access to Abyssea?

3. If I do have access, can I get into that area without having the other expansions installed? I'm not sure if the game updater automatically installs Abyssea content.

4. If I can't get into Abyssea, is there a way to buy that seperately?

I will probably try to install the game through a torrent and install it that way, or buy the game again from a retail store or something. Thanks for any help.

Comments

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Originally posted by 9216544

I just resubscribed my old FFXI account. Last November of 2010 I bought the ultimate edition through steam. The data was installed on another computer, which I no longer have. I also no longer have access to my steam account. I updated the game on this computer through playonline and it only installed Rise of the Zilart, but none of the other expansions that I have registered to my content ID. I checked my content id through playonline and it shows all of the expansions are enabled.

So my questions are:

1. Is there any way I can download the expansions without discs or steam access?

Not really sure about this.

2. If I bought the ultimate edition back in november of last year, will I have access to Abyssea?

No Abyssea did not become part of the Ultimate Edition till recently.

3. If I do have access, can I get into that area without having the other expansions installed? I'm not sure if the game updater automatically installs Abyssea content.

I think you need Wings of the Goddess.

4. If I can't get into Abyssea, is there a way to buy that seperately?

Best bet is to buy the newest Ultimate Edition which includes all 3 Abyssea Addons along with all previous expansions and addons,

I will probably try to install the game through a torrent and install it that way, or buy the game again from a retail store or something. Thanks for any help.

• ZinefriZinefri Member Posts: 34

If you are not bad at technology, then torrenting is a great way to go. It doesn't matter how you obtain the FFXI data whether it's install CD's, digital download like Steam, or a torrent. You just need the relevant serial codes to have access to your content is the key part. Anyways:

1: Like I said yes, find a torrent. I did that to update mine, but I used Demonoid torrents so I cant link to it unless you have an account. Just don't be dumb and use a torrent that appears proper and is not a virus. There are torrents for all expansions or even entire collections.

2: No, that would be an older Ultimate collection which was long before this years edition. Only the most recent edition contains Abyssea.

3: All that matters is if your account is registered with the Abyssea serial keys. Even if it is installed and you do not have serial keys applied you can't use it. The latest Ultimate collection contains one single serial key that unlocks every single expansion/addon.

4: You can buy it seperately through Playonline, but the pricing for each addon hasn't changed since release. Meaning it's far MORE expensive to buy each one than it is to just simply buy one Ultimate Collection. And given the sheer convenience of Steam etc. frankly it may be your best choice.

Basically you need to buy the serial codes for new content no matter what. And if you're going to Steam is a pretty good way to do it. Since Steam is its own client thing though it may require you to download through its program so if you do use Steams downloader instead of a torrent.

Once you have the game expansions+addons you just need to setup your account and then download... all the updates yay! But wait there's a non shitty way to download updates for FFXI that doesn't take ages using the slow Playonline server. Players have put together a torrent of just all the updates for easy downloading. As of now it's completely up to date, here's the link (this is a torrent for UPDATES not EXPANSIONS/ADDONS):

http://www.kat.ph/all-final-fantasy-xi-ffxi-updates-patches-2011-05-09-t5469365.html

• 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Zinefri

If you are not bad at technology, then torrenting is a great way to go. It doesn't matter how you obtain the FFXI data whether it's install CD's, digital download like Steam, or a torrent. You just need the relevant serial codes to have access to your content is the key part. Anyways:

1: Like I said yes, find a torrent. I did that to update mine, but I used Demonoid torrents so I cant link to it unless you have an account. Just don't be dumb and use a torrent that appears proper and is not a virus. There are torrents for all expansions or even entire collections.

2: No, that would be an older Ultimate collection which was long before this years edition. Only the most recent edition contains Abyssea.

3: All that matters is if your account is registered with the Abyssea serial keys. Even if it is installed and you do not have serial keys applied you can't use it. The latest Ultimate collection contains one single serial key that unlocks every single expansion/addon.

4: You can buy it seperately through Playonline, but the pricing for each addon hasn't changed since release. Meaning it's far MORE expensive to buy each one than it is to just simply buy one Ultimate Collection. And given the sheer convenience of Steam etc. frankly it may be your best choice.

Basically you need to buy the serial codes for new content no matter what. And if you're going to Steam is a pretty good way to do it. Since Steam is its own client thing though it may require you to download through its program so if you do use Steams downloader instead of a torrent.

Once you have the game expansions+addons you just need to setup your account and then download... all the updates yay! But wait there's a non shitty way to download updates for FFXI that doesn't take ages using the slow Playonline server. Players have put together a torrent of just all the updates for easy downloading. As of now it's completely up to date, here's the link (this is a torrent for UPDATES not EXPANSIONS/ADDONS):

http://www.kat.ph/all-final-fantasy-xi-ffxi-updates-patches-2011-05-09-t5469365.html

Thanks for the reply and link to the update torrent. I'm downloading an expansion torrent and the update one right now. I guess I have to buy the serial code as well. I'm a little nervous about playing Abyssea as I hope that it is still immersive. I've always wanted to experience  the story and lore of the game and I hope that once you hit 90 that you can still experience it, rather than only the newest content.