Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FPS drop on almost everything

GoerillaGoerilla Member Posts: 91

Hey guys its me again. I seem to be having another problem with my graphics card. My fps significantly dropped on lotro, starcraft 2 , furmark, and tropics. I used to get 50-90 now i don't go over 50 in starcraft2. In Furmark I used to get 29-31 fps now i get 11 fps. Even in tropics benchmarking application I get 30 when i used to get 90. The graphics card is not overheating what is going on?

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Did you change any settings?  If you overclocked your processor, that may be overheating.  Setting the anti-alasing type to SSAA rather than MSAA in Catalyst Control Center could cause that sort of performance hit, as turning graphical settings way up does tend to reduce frame rates.

• GoerillaGoerilla Member Posts: 91

I didn't touch the catalyst center or overclock my cpu. Is there something wrong with my card? I tried tropics again and it seems to be back to normal but then I swear it sometimes does this and it stays there for a while.

I also downloaded speed fan because the application I was using called CPU thermometer was kind of weird. Speedfan is kind of hard to use but I'll show you what it reads:

System: 29C

CPU: 54C

AUX: -128C

SMIOVT4: 29C

SMIOVT5: 29C

SMIOVT6: 29C

HD0 : 31C

CPU: 54C

MB: 29C

What do those mean? Is my computer normal? The CPU temperature seems reallllllly high because CPU thermometer was like 36-39 idle.

OMG im sorry I didn't realize i exited out of prime95. The new numbers are

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

You can check to see what the bottleneck is directly.  Download CPU-Z to monitor your CPU clock speeds.  Open Task Manager to check to see which programs are using CPU cycles; the game in question plus the system idle process should add to nearly 100%.  If they don't, then you've got some other program in the background hogging your CPU cycles, which is the problem.  The CPU clock speeds should stay in the range of 3 GHz, unless you're running something that is very light on the CPU.

Download GPU-Z and log GPU activity and GPU clock speeds.  If GPU activity is nowhere near 100%, then that isn't the bottleneck.  If you've got GPU activity of near 100% and GPU clock speeds of 900 MHz, then you're pushing the video card to its limit, and it's merely delivering all the performance it can, but isn't as fast as you hoped for.  It's entirely plausible that you've merely turned settings too high and that's the problem.

Alright ill try that.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by Quizzical

You can check to see what the bottleneck is directly.  Download CPU-Z to monitor your CPU clock speeds.  Open Task Manager to check to see which programs are using CPU cycles; the game in question plus the system idle process should add to nearly 100%.  If they don't, then you've got some other program in the background hogging your CPU cycles, which is the problem.  The CPU clock speeds should stay in the range of 3 GHz, unless you're running something that is very light on the CPU.

Download GPU-Z and log GPU activity and GPU clock speeds.  If GPU activity is nowhere near 100%, then that isn't the bottleneck.  If you've got GPU activity of near 100% and GPU clock speeds of 900 MHz, then you're pushing the video card to its limit, and it's merely delivering all the performance it can, but isn't as fast as you hoped for.  It's entirely plausible that you've merely turned settings too high and that's the problem.

Man, MMORPG should give you a special title or a 6th star or something, you are seriously one of the, if not the, most helpful people I see around here.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• psyclumpsyclum Member Posts: 792

Originally posted by skeaser

Man, MMORPG should give you a special title or a 6th star or something, you are seriously one of the, if not the, most helpful people I see around here.

actually they should just have a "ask quizzy" thread stickied at the top of the hardware forum:D   and maybe a "quizzy's weekly deals" thread with all the stuff worth buying from newegg each week:D   faster then checking fatwallet or other sites like that:D

also, if you are running win7, you can run

perfmon.exe /res

to take a better look into what is happening in your machine.

• jawalijawali Member UncommonPosts: 195

hi, have you tried try to scan your PC with some antivirus and clean it? It may help, cause if it is affected by some viruses etc its performance may drop.

Originally posted by psyclum

also, if you are running win7, you can run

perfmon.exe /res

to take a better look into what is happening in your machine.

What does the program do actually?

Originally posted by Goerilla

What does the program do actually?

it's like a supercharged version of windows task manager.  it shows you alot more info about what is being run in the background and especially what kind of disk activity is happening in the background. 

if you dont like using the command to start it.  you can just pull it up via the windows task manager > performance > resource monitor.

most people find the info abit technical, so they hide it.  but it's a great tool for diagnosing problems like finding out your computer is slow due to some background disk process that you didnt know was running. 

ah its built in thats great. thanks

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

morphological filtering will cause this in high resolution setting (2500 x xxxx ish)

tessalation setting will defenetly cause this also